Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

People praising the O line????

Started by synthartist69, October 14, 2017, 11:47:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

synthartist69

I guess I must have missed something. I seen a qtr back on the run all night because the O line wasn't blocking or opening up holes for the running backs. Did I miss something???? 

leroyhawg

You're just so used to notching you don't notice good play
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

Marshfieldhog

Kelley was on the run all night. We have the worst OL in the SEC

SugarHillGaHog

I'll be in the minority tonight but I thought they were better.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: SugarHillGaHog on October 14, 2017, 11:51:48 pm
They definitely were
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Malvin

And that's the problem.  We are always praising the players about being better.. learning etc etc.  The reality is the gap between where they are now and where they need to be is massive.  We need to stop babying these players and make sure they understand just how far behind the curve they are.  They aren't 'close', we need to stop telling them that.

They were better but were playing one of the best defenses in college football.  It is a shame that BB has to be drawn into the majority of Arkansas wanting his firing before he actually tries to improve this team.   The O-line had likely their best 5 starting and showed improvement.   Good, oh hell no, but better, yes.

synthartist69

Well hopefully it is a trend and will payoff in the coming games. This game reminded me of the bad Nutt years, no offensive and below average defense, however, I did see some good defensive stops in parts of the game, but only after getting destroyed during the first qtr. I don't hate BB, I am sure he is a nice guy, but it is time to replace. The play calling was horrible as always. Running the steamboat package on 2nd and 11 on our 20 or 30 yrd line?? That was nuts

hogblitz

Quote from: 12247 on October 14, 2017, 11:55:20 pm
They were better but were playing one of the best defenses in college football.  It is a shame that BB has to be drawn into the majority of Arkansas wanting his firing before he actually tries to improve this team.   The O-line had likely their best 5 starting and showed improvement.   Good, oh hell no, but better, yes.
He has had 5 years to improve this team!

Marshfieldhog

We had like 30 yards rushing. They were still really bad

alohawg

An F+ is technically an improved grade, I suppose.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HogFoo

they were better. Totally agree.  Their best 5 were finally in and it was easy to see.  Had this group been starting all year, I'm not kidding I think we could have possibly only had 1 loss before tonight or even been undefeated before the Bama game.  But because our OLine coach is such a dumbass and had a personal agenda against a couple of our players, one in particular, we didn't have our best group starting.  I hope that we keep this group in the starting lineup. Now just figure out how we can overcome when the opposing team all out blitzes every single down.  We have to figure out counter plays, etc. Also I think we need to have Kelley and. Or Allen work on quick slants with WRs . Especially Kelley, dude needs to work on his touch, reminded me of Mallet when he'd throw the ball 90mph on a ball that only needed to be 30mph haha
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Malvin on October 14, 2017, 11:55:04 pm
And that's the problem.  We are always praising the players about being better.. learning etc etc.  The reality is the gap between where they are now and where they need to be is massive.  We need to stop babying these players and make sure they understand just how far behind the curve they are.  They aren't 'close', we need to stop telling them that.

What????

You or I can heap poop or praise on the players all we want and guess what effect it will have on their play???

NONE!!!!

You sir are of the first order...
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

ICEman

27 yards on the ground does not make for an improved offensive line. Until Hayden 'broke one' for 14 yards against the Bama scrubs in the 4th quarter, we had 13 yards of positive offensive production on the ground.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

ChitownHawg

You keep posting this crap. Then go to the Hill and tell them that. Stand up and be a man - go to the Hill.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

moses_007

This offensive line is the absolute worst line in the history of Razorback football. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: synthartist69 on October 14, 2017, 11:47:12 pm
I guess I must have missed something. I seen a qtr back on the run all night because the O line wasn't blocking or opening up holes for the running backs. Did I miss something???? 

I saw nothing to get too excited about.   What did we get 20 something rushing yards on 20 something carries.  Not too exciting to me.  I think everyone was so excited to see CBB chance up the lineup they do not see our QB getting sacked 5 times or harassed  and knocked down on almost every pass play but of course many times it was because he hung on to the ball too long because he could not find a WR open.  I like what Ragnow said when asked about how the ol did; he said he will hold back any judgrment of the OL until he sees the video.   I know they were playing Bama but still I thought in year 5 we would have a much better OL.

Still I am curious if our OL would be better if we passed exclusively out of the shot gun?  or no more play action pass plays with the QB under center until we can run the ball.  Who are we fooling?????

hog911

AMEN!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hog911 on October 15, 2017, 06:51:12 am
AMEN!

Then go to the Hill and tell the players. Man up big guy - go tell em.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

The real Hogules

The time to "improve your team" is during the off-season, not 6-7 games into the regular season. If you're still tinkering with every aspect of your teams play that late into the season, it's generally because you are desperate and grasping at straws to salvage the season and your job. In year 5 there's no excuse for the lack of preparation, or seemingly being unwilling, or unable to make halftime adjustments. Please let me off this merry-go-round!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hogopolis

My take on the offensive line is centered around a comment by Bert in his post game.  He said he moved Ragnow and started Rogers and Wallace because he wanted to be as physical as possible and put as much size on the field as possible.  Ummm...... why wait until now to do that?   Hopefully this will continue to be the starting 5 the rest of the year, the best 5 are finally starting.   

HOGINTENNESSEE

Do you people not watch Bama play other teams? Our oline was above par for the competition.

Of course the biggest difference was Cole Kelley's Big Ben preformace shedding defenders like Jim Brown

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hogopolis on October 15, 2017, 07:26:19 am
My take on the offensive line is centered around a comment by Bert in his post game.  He said he moved Ragnow and started Rogers and Wallace because he wanted to be as physical as possible and put as much size on the field as possible.  Ummm...... why wait until now to do that?   Hopefully this will continue to be the starting 5 the rest of the year, the best 5 are finally starting.   

Its stupid. Those 2 should have been starting in those positions since last year.

I have never understood the Ragnow must play center thing from CBB. We have Rogers and Raulerson are good at Center but suck at guard. But we have Ragnow that is an All American at both center and guard. Put the best 5 put there.

And Wallace as he did last year Showed he is hands down better than any of that bullcrap we have put at RT this season

thebignasty

Quote from: ICEman on October 15, 2017, 04:11:49 am
27 yards on the ground does not make for an improved offensive line. Until Hayden 'broke one' for 14 yards against the Bama scrubs in the 4th quarter, we had 13 yards of positive offensive production on the ground.

Would have had a rushing td except for a blown assignment, too.

Really hard to say if the line improved,  but it still isn't good.

smb

Better than what? High school?
GeorgiaHOG

SemperFi

Even my wife, who was casually watching the game kept stating the same thing over and over again, "why won't the offensive line block for our QB"? The biggest improvement that I saw was with Cole Kelly who got rid of the ball much faster than AA typically does. Still, he got hit and laid out too many times and this OL lacks the skills, both physically and mentally, to protect their QB. Run blocking was still atrocious to watch and the our RB's had to fight to just get back to the LOS. We all know what needs to happen and the longer they wait to do it the worst things will become.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: synthartist69 on October 14, 2017, 11:47:12 pm
How many yards rushing did Ark have? That will tell you how well the O line did or did not perform.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

LZH

Quote from: alohawg on October 15, 2017, 12:18:37 am
An F+ is technically an improved grade, I suppose.

Damn skrate Sunshine!

The real Hogules

I'm not for calling players out, but the dirtiest part of a certain left guards uniform was the @$$! When you hang your hat on being a running team, you better have the horses to open some holes. We didn't have that last season and we certainly don't have it this year, either.

GuvHog

Quote from: SemperFi on October 15, 2017, 07:38:19 am
Even my wife, who was casually watching the game kept stating the same thing over and over again, "why won't the offensive line block for our QB"? The biggest improvement that I saw was with Cole Kelly who got rid of the ball much faster than AA typically does. Still, he got hit and laid out too many times and this OL lacks the skills, both physically and mentally, to protect their QB. Run blocking was still atrocious to watch and the our RB's had to fight to just get back to the LOS. We all know what needs to happen and the longer they wait to do it the worst things will become.

The thing is on many plays, the line gave Kelley time to throw the ball. Some of you are ignoring the fact that the Hogs amassed over 200 yards total offense against Bama. The Hogs knew they weren't going to run the ball much against Bama who has one of the best run defenses in the nation so I'm amazed that some of you are surprised the Hogs couldn't run the ball against them. They aren't #1 for no reason. Losses are NEVER good in any shape, form, or fashion but I liked the fact that the Hogs were able to move the ball against Bama.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: HogFoo on October 15, 2017, 01:39:49 am
they were better. Totally agree.  Their best 5 were finally in and it was easy to see.  Had this group been starting all year, I'm not kidding I think we could have possibly only had 1 loss before tonight or even been undefeated before the Bama game.  But because our OLine coach is such a dumbass and had a personal agenda against a couple of our players, one in particular, we didn't have our best group starting.  I hope that we keep this group in the starting lineup. Now just figure out how we can overcome when the opposing team all out blitzes every single down.  We have to figure out counter plays, etc. Also I think we need to have Kelley and. Or Allen work on quick slants with WRs . Especially Kelley, dude needs to work on his touch, reminded me of Mallet when he'd throw the ball 90mph on a ball that only needed to be 30mph haha

100% agree on this assessment. Our OL graduated one decent player from last year and they had an entire year to get the best five gelled and ready to perform as a unit. Anderson, CBB completely failed in this regard and destroyed our entire offense. They will both lose their jobs because of it, and they deserve to. I still believe if we had a good OL coach we'd be looking at only 1-2 losses now.

havok

The O-Line is horrible.  Do we even have a Strength and Conditioning program??? I mean a real one, not just on paper..but a real one. We already know we don't have a Real O-Line Coach.

Our O-line gets pushed around (Heck even Florida A&M pushed our guys back)at will, they can't get out of their stance before the defender is already splitting gaps and already a yard in backfield, and even when they try to pull...they are so slow they gum up the blocking lanes, where the Back is often tackled from behind with no where to go.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: ChitownHawg on October 15, 2017, 06:56:45 am
Then go to the Hill and tell the players. Man up big guy - go tell em.  ;D
Please relax and enjoy the big loss, while I go to the hill and tell them...okay precious?

tophawg19

everyone we play spends more time in our back field than we do. we are always being blown off the line
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

From Tusk Till Dawn

Theres alot more experts on here than me, but just curious how many yards you were expecting on the #1 rushing defense in football  since they have held opponents to under 70 per game.

jlhogfan

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 15, 2017, 08:12:31 am
Theres alot more experts on here than me, but just curious how many yards you were expecting on the #1 rushing defense in football  since they have held opponents to under 70 per game.

I don't know... more than 30 I suppose

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: jlhogfan on October 15, 2017, 08:17:41 am
I don't know... more than 30 I suppose
So you would gave been happy with 70, not sure that would have helped.  They were going to make us beat them with either an injured AA or a freshman backup qb, without the help of play action.  They made us 1 dimensional and then dared us to beat them on their terms. Thats what really good teams do. 

Tortfeasor

Do those of who think our OL was better recall the commentators saying something similar to "It's like Alabama is in their huddle"? An OL will look better with a QB that doesn't hold the ball for 5 seconds. We've needed more quick passes all year.

The real Hogules

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 15, 2017, 08:12:31 am
I would hope that a team that professes to hang their hat on being a physical running team would rush for 70+ yards. That's not asking for too much, do you think?  The only issue is Arkansas would have had to run the ball approximately 78 times, because we averaged a whopping 0.9 YPC against the Tide. Spin it any way that you'd like, but for whatever the reason our OL's, the past two seasons havent gotten it done up front.

jlhogfan

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 15, 2017, 08:28:46 am
So you would gave been happy with 70, not sure that would have helped.  They were going to make us beat them with either an injured AA or a freshman backup qb, without the help of play action.  They made us 1 dimensional and then dared us to beat them on their terms. Thats what really good teams do. 

Thanks, I didn't know that.  I will take into consideration that Bama is a good team next time.  I change my stance, we got positive yards rushing.     

Ex-Trumpet

I lost count of how many times I rewound the dvr and watched a lineman turn away from the guy lined up across from him and let him pass untouched.  And, our linemen many times never touched anyone--not even to double team!

Bad coaching, bad schemes, bad conditioning, or bad talent?  Which is it?  You would think some football instincts would kick in and recognize that the guy across from you is going to destroy the qb if you don't lay a hand on him. 

It's way too late in one's tenure to have to watch this crap week after week.  JL needs to go ahead and announce that the coaching search has begun and CBB will be departing in December.  Thanks for the efforts--the players have learned some great life lessons they will carry with them forever.  I wish him well. 
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Poker_hog

Absolute grade: D-

Grading on a curve: B
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

MaconBacon

I thought the O-line definitely improved. Sure, they had few break downs that led to some embarrassing sacks, but they looked more dedicated to Cole. Hell he was basically Country Clubbing it back there looking for a receiver at times for what seemed to go on for like 30 seconds.  Allen had better not start for next week, Cole has a lot to learn, but way more hidden potential.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: MaconBacon on October 15, 2017, 08:45:28 am
I thought the O-line definitely improved. Sure, they had few break downs that led to some embarrassing sacks, but they looked more dedicated to Cole. Hell he was basically Country Clubbing it back there looking for a receiver at times for what seemed to go on for like 30 seconds.  Allen had better not start for next week, Cole has a lot to learn, but way more hidden potential.

O-line has talent...I think the coaching and scheming is suspect.  I just wish some instincts would kick in from time to time to overcome a bad scheme that is gonna get the qb/rb clobbered.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 15, 2017, 08:40:14 am
I lost count of how many times I rewound the dvr and watched a lineman turn away from the guy lined up across from him and let him pass untouched.  And, our linemen many times never touched anyone--not even to double team!

Bad coaching, bad schemes, bad conditioning, or bad talent?  Which is it?  You would think some football instincts would kick in and recognize that the guy across from you is going to destroy the qb if you don't lay a hand on him. 

It's way too late in one's tenure to have to watch this crap week after week.  JL needs to go ahead and announce that the coaching search has begun and CBB will be departing in December.  Thanks for the efforts--the players have learned some great life lessons they will carry with them forever.  I wish him well. 

We have allowed defenders to run through the past two years multiple times per game.  That is 100% on the coaches.  All schemes are sound to prevent run through defenders, but coaches have to coach players to execute.  Those have nothing to do with talent, scheme, or opponents abilities and is all on coaching.  Our OL play has destroyed our QB play, our overall offense and it has filtered over into confidence and play of the entire team imo.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on October 15, 2017, 08:06:18 am
Please relax and enjoy the big loss, while I go to the hill and tell them...okay precious?

I look forward to the evening news sweetie.    ;)

RebelliousHog

Quote from: MaconBacon on October 15, 2017, 08:45:28 am

I agree about CK, but i'll bet you a dollar to a donut that AA starts/
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 15, 2017, 08:32:32 am
I would hope that a team that professes to hang their hat on being a physical running team would rush for 70+ yards. That's not asking for too much, do you think?  The only issue is Arkansas would have had to run the ball approximately 78 times, because we averaged a whopping 0.9 YPC against the Tide. Spin it any way that you'd like, but for whatever the reason our OL's, the past two seasons havent gotten it done up front.
Its not spin, they are the top rush defense for a reason.  Based on what you have seen up to this point, what would have been acceptable yardage on the ground against the top team in the country?

RebelliousHog

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 15, 2017, 10:06:15 am
Its not spin, they are the top rush defense for a reason.  Based on what you have seen up to this point, what would have been acceptable yardage on the ground against the top team in the country?

Tell you what. If Bama holds Aubie, LSU and MissSt to 30 yards rushing I will agree 100%.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

MissippHog

I'm sorry, but I didn't see the much improved OL last night.  To me, it was much of the same.  CK looked a little better than AA, seems to be a little more poised and is able to soak up the hits a little better.