Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Say it ain't so Mr. Long (Nebraska Rumors)

Started by harrisburghog, October 13, 2017, 03:03:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Hogs-n-Roses

Ironhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 13, 2017, 03:30:21 pm
I could see CBB at Nebraska before Long.

^^^This^^^

If Jeff goes up to Nebraska and makes one of his winning is secondary statements he will disappear into a corn field and never be seen again.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 03:27:01 pm

We got a Christmas gift yesterday with the contract news

We ought to be careful what we wish for.

The best case for the hogs to get a quality coach is for long to be the AD. IMO of course.

A lot of folks here should pay attention to this but alas, won't. Blinded by an agenda.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2017, 03:42:08 pm
You married?
I told your friend Seebs that I don't swing that way but he knows where they all hang out.

woodhog14

October 13, 2017, 03:49:59 pm #55 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:44:37 pm by woodhog14

We ought to be careful what we wish for. The best case for the hogs to get a quality coach is for long to be the AD. IMO of course.

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 13, 2017, 03:45:19 pm
A lot of folks here should pay attention to this but alas, won't. Blinded by an agenda.
I agree. If we have no AD and BB is let go this year as well, we won't be able to hire a good coach because who in their right mind would take a job without knowing who their boss will be.

thebignasty

I the majority of the Long hate here is misplaced. I think he's competent in his role.

I don't think it's too hard to find that in an AD, though.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 13, 2017, 03:46:19 pm
I told your friend Seebs that I don't swing that way but he knows where they all hang out.

I don't know Seebs, and try to up your attempts at humor.....

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: woodhog14 on October 13, 2017, 03:49:59 pm
I agree. If we have no AD and BB is let go this year as well. We won't be able to hire a good coach because who in their right mind would take a job without knowing who there boss will be.
Maybe we been going about this all wrong. Years ago Nick Saban wouldn't go to LSU cause of the AD they had in place . He more or less tipped them as to who(Skip Bertman) would make a fine one. One who realizes football is king, academics,other sports, activities, renovations....all depended on football and it must be built a certain way. They followed his advise and the program turned the corner.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2017, 03:53:48 pm
I don't know Seebs, and try to up your attempts at humor.....
Quit asking people personal questions!

Pig in the Pokey

bring in Terry Don and Venables, let terry don retire (again) as a Hog and hire the new Arkansas AD over that year or two's time.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Ironhawg

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 13, 2017, 03:45:19 pm

Since the news about the reality of Bielema's buyout came out I really don't have a problem with Long.  If he leaves between now and the end of November and the BOT don't immediately hire his replacement, we'll likely be stuck with Bielema for another season.  Or the BOT could find the new coach and AD as a package deal, which I would think is pretty unlikely.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jst01 on October 13, 2017, 03:15:23 pm
I'd bet by the time the public hears of Long leaving, the BOT would have the replacement selected and signed.
I most certainly wouldn't bet the house on that suggestion.

hogcard1964

Does Long's contract expire here after 2017 or 2018?

aloha_kid

We ought to be careful what we wish for. The best case for the hogs to get a quality coach is for long to be the AD. IMO of course.

Define quality.  Concern for players beyond the field?  Or win at all costs?  CBB has, prior to Arkansas, been what many call quality.  Fielded good teams with good players.  He has had better players in a tougher division.  Like it our not, there was only one game this season that was out of hand and not winnable because of one bad quarter and a bogus call at the end of the 1st half. 

Last year, without the meltdown in the last 2 games, we would have won nine games (I know if its and buts...), with the 7th strongest strength of schedule and the year prior the fourth strongest.

Teams we're lost to this year:

TCU 5 -0
A&M 4-2
USC 4-2

I'm not happy with the season so far, but I'm not blinded and enraged like the majority on Hogville.  Then again, it is Hogville and that is what happens here.

Tusks

Go Long, go now.

Once Long is finally gone, bring in Oregon's AD as Long replacement.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

allredhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 13, 2017, 04:03:33 pm
bring in Terry Don and Venables, let terry don retire (again) as a Hog and hire the new Arkansas AD over that year or two's time.

THIS!!  TDP is 63 and could be or AD for 1 or 7 years.  That would work for me
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: allredhog on October 13, 2017, 04:25:04 pm
THIS!!  TDP is 63 and could be or AD for 1 or 7 years.  That would work for me
OK its settled.  You callin him or me? Well I need 5 more supporters.

tusksincolorado

Wow...the last time we had this much angst and hate on a critically important topic, our rush ended up getting us in a HUGH pile of CRAP!

Maybe we all should just take a deep breathe and let everything play out at the end of the season.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

phadedhawg

If I was AD Jazzy Jeff, I'd seek greener pastures if the opportunity presented itself.  I'm not sure Nebraska qualifies as a better job or not.  They've won a national championship more recently than us but its still in Nebraska....

Hoggish1

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 03:08:05 pm
Long leaving leaves Arkansas's chances of firing Bret or firing Bret and then hiring a good coach slim. IMO

Probably not slim.  But, BB here for one more year is likely.  The real issue is hiring a better AD before anything is done with the HC job.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 13, 2017, 04:45:59 pm
Probably not slim.  But, BB here for one more year is likely.  The real issue is hiring a better AD before anything is done with the HC job.

Here's the $64,000 question.

How do we define "better?"

HammusArkansus

Would TDP be interested?  On the surface, Terry Don as interim looks like a very viable option.  Imho, almost too good to be true.  As always however, the devil is in the details, not on the surface.

Who then, on the BOT, knows the details of 1) Jeff Long possibly leaving and the details 2) of Terry Don Phillip's interest/'current' capabilities?

Wildhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 13, 2017, 04:48:43 pm
Here's the $64,000 question

That's the deal for me.  None of us really know enough about being an AD to have an intelligent discussion about replacements.  It's easy to just name a retired football coach that we like and yell, "______ for AD!"
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

October 13, 2017, 04:53:28 pm #74 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:14:33 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: aloha_kid on October 13, 2017, 03:25:27 pm
So, one of the most respected ADs in college sports is on the Hill, and has been, but hog fans fail to realize it or appreciate it.

I agree he's highly respected. That is why his name has come up a few times for other jobs since he's been here. I hope he stays. That being said NOBODY is irreplaceable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

hawgon

Go get TDP and ask him as an Arkansas man, to come in and set the program right.  Get five years out of him and train up Clay Hamilton or even Tim Horton to take over as Arkansas men and go from there.

welchog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 13, 2017, 04:03:33 pm
Was thinking this too.  Almost started a thread on this

welchog

But TDP could stay much longer.  He's wanted the job for a while.

ricepig

There is no "we" on Hogville. I'd say status quo on academics and the money department, with a better results in sports. Is that possible, does the AD play much of a role after hiring a coach? I truthfully don't know, I've been neither.

rhames

Quote from: aloha_kid on October 13, 2017, 04:21:03 pm
Define quality.  Concern for players beyond the field?  Or win at all costs?  CBB has, prior to Arkansas, been what many call quality.  Fielded good teams with good players.  He has had better players in a tougher division.  Like it our not, there was only one game this season that was out of hand and not winnable because of one bad quarter and a bogus call at the end of the 1st half. 

Last year, without the meltdown in the last 2 games, we would have won nine games (I know if its and buts...), with the 7th strongest strength of schedule and the year prior the fourth strongest.

TCU 5 -0
A&M 4-2
USC 4-2

I'm not happy with the season so far, but I'm not blinded and enraged like the majority on Hogville.  Then again, it is Hogville and that is what happens here.

Quality as in someone who wouldn't be the equivalent of the Pelphrey hire.

Bielema was a quality hire that just didn't work out. That happens in every profession.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

gangstaback

If Long leaves, hire Nutt as the AD.
- Quick hire so we can move on to hire a new Coach. 
- Probably less expensive than most AD's.
- Knows the program.
- Knows recruiting at Arkansas. 
- Knows the media.
- If he doesn't work out we can always ask him to leave again.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: gangstaback on October 13, 2017, 05:15:57 pm
- Knows the program.
- Knows the media.

F....NO!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

farmhawg

So, one of the most respected ADs in college sports is on the Hill, and has been, but hog fans fail to realize it or appreciate it.
Guess that's why he is just in the running? If everyone thought he was so great they would just give him the job. And Nebraska? Really? Must be a great ad job......
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Tusks

I can't imagine in any way hootie dale having access to the keys to the store.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Ironhawg

Quote from: gangstaback on October 13, 2017, 05:15:57 pm
- Knows the program.
- Knows the media.

This should get you a time out.

Hoggish1

This is a fair question that I will try to answer:

An AD in the SEC needs football to be his primary concern.  I would think there is are assistants and/or associates that assist him.  These are ones he needs to turn to for strong expertise about the other sports under his authority that he may not have expert knowledge about.  He needs to rely on these assistant for strong advice.  But, football should be HIS major concern.

2.  The AD needs to understand football such that he can see what's going on from the inside out.  I want an AD that knows the game and is good at evaluating the coach and his staff.

3.  The AD must be a strong communicator with the people who have the money but above that, when he talks the people should understand that football is important to him and that he understand it must be as good as it can be.  He needs to make the folks in the seats feel important and he needs to be able to speak to these people who shell out hard earned money to attend games.  The fans need to be able to trust the AD.

I know that the AD runs a huge operation with millions of dollars to account for, raise and invest.  But the AD can rely on a team of legal/financial assistants with the expertise he might lack.

The AD must be a clear and believable communicator.  Long does not strike me a clear communicator.  There is certain smarminess about him that does not seem to endear him to the rank and file fan.

The BP fiasco is one case where I believe he failed to instill trust in his judgement.  I'm not arguing his final decision to cut BP loose, just the way he allowed it to became a spectacle to the nation.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Darren DeLoach

All the clamoring "fer a Arkensaw boy" is mind-blowing. The amount of drama that would follow as every donor and media member began jockeying for position with their homeboy would be very entertaining. Hogville would be pure gold. But if you support such nonsense, you have really missed the direction of modern college athletics.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

idochog

I love Jesus!

rhames

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 13, 2017, 05:49:57 pm
This is a fair question that I will try to answer:

An AD in the SEC needs football to be his primary concern.  I would think there is are assistants and/or associates that assist him.  These are ones he needs to turn to for strong expertise about the other sports under his authority that he may not have expert knowledge about.  He needs to rely on these assistant for strong advice.  But, football should be HIS major concern.

2.  The AD needs to understand football such that he can see what's going on from the inside out.  I want an AD that knows the game and is good at evaluating the coach and his staff.

3.  The AD must be a strong communicator with the people who have the money but above that, when he talks the people should understand that football is important to him and that he understand it must be as good as it can be.  He needs to make the folks in the seats feel important and he needs to be able to speak to these people who shell out hard earned money to attend games.  The fans need to be able to trust the AD.

I know that the AD runs a huge operation with millions of dollars to account for, raise and invest.  But the AD can rely on a team of legal/financial assistants with the expertise he might lack.

The AD must be a clear and believable communicator.  Long does not strike me a clear communicator.  There is certain smarminess about him that does not seem to endear him to the rank and file fan.

The BP fiasco is one case where I believe he failed to instill trust in his judgement.  I'm not arguing his final decision to cut BP loose, just the way he allowed it to became a spectacle to the nation.

I'm not trying to GUV this thread but how could Jeff Long avoided the Petrino situation becoming a spectacle? I don't think there was anything that could have stopped it after Robert got up there road rashed and sugar bowl hat on saying he was alone and then the police report saying different.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rhames

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on October 13, 2017, 05:54:53 pm
All the clamoring "fer a Arkensaw boy" is mind-blowing. The amount of drama that would follow as every donor and media member began jockeying for position with their homeboy would be very entertaining. Hogville would be pure gold. But if you support such nonsense, you have really missed the direction of modern college athletics.

These are the same people who wanted Long gone only because of the buyout but now they have no reason. 

idochog

Check my posts. I predicted Long would leave before he had to deal with buyout & a failure in CBB

I love Jesus!

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on October 13, 2017, 04:50:28 pm
That's the deal for me.  None of us really know enough about being an AD to have an intelligent discussion about replacements.  It's easy to just name a retired football coach that we like and yell, "______ for AD!"

I'm in this boat

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: aloha_kid on October 13, 2017, 04:21:03 pm

TCU 5 -0
A&M 4-2
USC 4-2

It's not that we lost but the way we did it and how bad we played. You forget that all of the losses we had are victories for those opponents. IF we had won all three then Sumlin would be on the hot seat above Bret, TCU would not be ranked nearly as high and both SC and Tamu would be at .500 and we'd be undefeated and ranked higher than TCU! It'd real easy to look at stats and numbers and draw conclusions without thinking about HOW those numbers came about. That is an important component of those stats. I'm actually not mad about the TCU loss but more with HOW bad we lost and how uncompetitive we were at home.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

VirginiaHog

Of course his name is being thrown around. Be is a top 10 maybe top 5 AD in the nation. We are lucky to have him. I still don't get the Long hatred.

East Clintwood

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 03:13:25 pm

Ok Long leaves, it's the end of the season we have no AD yet and the BOT go ahead and let Bret loose......what coach worth a damn is going to leave his current situation to come to a job where he won't know who his boss is.

Because it will take a month or so to find a replacement for long

As much as I want CBB gone, I think the most important thing is to get Long away from the school first.

If that means we wait another year to get rid of Bert then so be it.  Long is the more damaging to the program.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Farmer Hogget

Jeff Long is a great AD.  People are just going to mention his name when there is a prominent opening.  He will not be leaving Arkansas.

hog911

respected by who? Please give names! I hear it generalized all the time from his minions, but no one is jumping through hoops to get him! If Nebraska really is interested please let him move on and drive their program in the ground!

Hogs-n-Roses