Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Say it ain't so Mr. Long (Nebraska Rumors)

Started by harrisburghog, October 13, 2017, 03:03:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex-Trumpet

Nebraska seems to be the school of choice if AR staff want raises.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Tusks

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 13, 2017, 06:32:05 pm
Nebraska seems to be the school of choice if AR staff want raises.

This time the hogs need to LET. HIM. GO. to NE
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hog911 on October 13, 2017, 06:21:10 pm
respected by who? Please give names! I hear it generalized all the time from his minions, but no one is jumping through hoops to get him! If Nebraska really is interested please let him move on and drive their program in the ground!
You cant be that blind.

jcbville

Lol all these people who want to be looking for an AD and a HC at the same time are like a guy with cancer hoping to also catch the plague just to show how tough he is.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Pig Power on October 13, 2017, 03:16:10 pm
If Long goes to Nebraska would he take CBB with him...? HHMmmmm
Let's hope so, but no way the Husker's would want CBB.

Oklahawg

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 06:00:17 pm

I'm not trying to GUV this thread but how could Jeff Long avoided the Petrino situation becoming a spectacle? I don't think there was anything that could have stopped it after Robert got up there road rashed and sugar bowl hat on saying he was alone and then the police report saying different.

It is hard for fans to accept, but the handling of Petrino-gate is one of Long's "feathers in his hat" moments in the AD world.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

lechon

Long should stay, if the GOBYN takes back control of the athletic department we will be back to 2007 and quite possibly have HDN back in some form on the hill (foundation).

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

Steef

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 13, 2017, 06:54:25 pm
It is hard for fans to accept, but the handling of Petrino-gate is one of Long's "feathers in his hat" moments in the AD world.

I never liked HOW he handled it. But I did agree with the decision.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: hog911 on October 13, 2017, 06:21:10 pm
respected by who? Please give names! I hear it generalized all the time from his minions, but no one is jumping through hoops to get him! If Nebraska really is interested please let him move on and drive their program in the ground!

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/17/athletic-director-rankings-joe-castiglione-kevin-white

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

EastexHawg

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 06:00:17 pm

I'm not trying to GUV this thread but how could Jeff Long avoided the Petrino situation becoming a spectacle? I don't think there was anything that could have stopped it after Robert got up there road rashed and sugar bowl hat on saying he was alone and then the police report saying different.

There was no reason for Long to reveal so many details of his meeting with Petrino.  For instance, what was the point of revealing Petrino's gift to Dorrell from his personal funds?  That was irrelevant and unnecessary, but Long did it to make himself look better.

Months later, what was the point of the "Integrity-It Goes A LONG Way" t-shirts on campus and at games?  Again, Long allowed them to be distributed only to draw attention and praise to himself.

All the tweeting, especially in the years immediately after he fired Petrino...Long is an egotistical little weasel and attention whore.  How many other ADs can you even name, much less see, hear, and read as much as Long?

rhames

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 13, 2017, 07:51:12 pm
There was no reason for Long to reveal so many details of his meeting with Petrino.  For instance, what was the point of revealing Petrino's gift to Dorrell from his personal funds?  That was irrelevant and unnecessary, but Long did it to make himself look better.

Months later, what was the point of the "Integrity-It Goes A LONG Way" t-shirts on campus and at games?  Again, Long allowed them to be distributed only to draw attention and praise to himself.

All the tweeting, especially in the years immediately after he fired Petrino...Long is an egotistical little weasel and attention whore.  How many other ADs can you even name, much less see, hear, and read as much as Long?

Because all of that was going to be FOI'ed anyway.

As for the Twitter, I don't know. Don't follow any Ads, do you?

You do make some food points about the t shirt thing. I had forgotten about that.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 13, 2017, 03:28:18 pm
Gonna end up with Tim Horton....

PRJ

If I had one, I'd cast it for him.  A vote that is.

EastexHawg

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 07:54:41 pm

Because all of that was going to be FOI'ed anyway.

Two men were in a room talking, with presumably no one else there.  How do you FOIA that?

Porkchop#1

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 13, 2017, 07:51:12 pm

I doubt that Long was ever real happy with CBP, and waited for the right time to send him down the road.  I thought it was handled in a real amateurish manner. 

I'd have to think the situation could have been gotten out in front, and certainly no need for Bobby to have done the skint faced presser.  That was just downright dumb.  Doubt there was much effort to keep CBP from looking bad. 

And the t shirt thingey was busher than bush league.

factchecker

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 13, 2017, 03:33:15 pm
Not at all mocking you....

There are some who think lil Timmy would be perfect and I think that is ridiculous.

PRJ

It is ridiculous.

Why are people wanting him?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rhames

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 13, 2017, 08:18:15 pm
Two men were in a room talking, with presumably no one else there.  How do you FOIA that?

It was in his termination letter was it not?

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

husker71

I think Nebr might take Long but minus CBB and then we can have Shawn Eichorst whose hired Al Golden at Miami and then Mike Riley at Nebr.  And the best thing is he worked at Wisconsin for a time.  I can actually see what Long saw in CBB 5 years ago but what Eichorst could have possibly seen in Riley and his recent history then is far beyond me.

fieldturf

If Long as great as some on here say, let's just see if Nebraska comes a calling.  Hope they contact his agent!!  Good Bye Jeff

(notOM)Rebel123

Terry Mohajir could be in Fayetteville in about 5 hours....by car
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

VirginiaHog

Quote from: fieldturf on October 13, 2017, 09:01:13 pm
If Long as great as some on here say, let's just see if Nebraska comes a calling.  Hope they contact his agent!!  Good Bye Jeff
They probably have or will. But he is not going. He loves it here and we are lucky to have a top 10 AD.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: VirginiaHog on October 13, 2017, 09:32:52 pm
They probably have or will. But he is not going. He loves it here and we are lucky to have a top 10 AD.

Who does those rankings?

Ironhawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 13, 2017, 09:08:31 pm

I wouldn't be against this.  The guy has been able to hire some pretty good football coaches.  I don't think the BoT will poach another Arkansas university's AD though.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 13, 2017, 09:08:31 pm

Only way he shows up in Fayetteville is if the red pups are playing the Hogs, and it's just a 4-4:15 drive....

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2017, 09:40:38 pm
Only way he shows up in Fayetteville is if the red pups are playing the Hogs, and it's just a 4-4:15 drive....

He's hired a few pretty good coaches...I was giving time to pack.

Tusks

I really can't believe that fans are worried about losing Jeff Long.  Not that he might get another job, but that fans are worried he'll leave.

Who fricken cares, it's not like he's a genius AD.

Granny fan

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 03:08:05 pm
Long leaving leaves Arkansas's chances of firing Bret or firing Bret and then hiring a good coach slim. IMO

Bull Hockey!

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 13, 2017, 09:41:42 pm
He's hired a few pretty good coaches...I was giving time to pack.

Ok, that sounds better, I was afraid you were having him drive 412 on sale barn day, no way to pass all those trailers. Also, he hired Harsin and Anderson, Lee hired Hugh and Gus.

Granny fan

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on October 13, 2017, 08:11:18 pm
If I had one, I'd cast it for him.  A vote that is.

TH is a good guy and would make a great AD.

rhames

Quote from: Granny fan on October 13, 2017, 09:46:39 pm

Bull Hockey!

Can you make a coherent stand on why you disagree with what I'm saying, or can you not put the pitch fork down?

Arkansas doesn't want to be looking for a new AD and a new head coach in December.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2017, 09:46:48 pm
Ok, that sounds better, I was afraid you were having him drive 412 on sale barn day, no way to pass all those trailers.
Fridays are busy in Ash Flat

rhames

Quote from: Granny fan on October 13, 2017, 09:48:56 pm

Me too PRJ!  TH is a good guy and would make a great AD.

This answers the question I just asked you

Won't need anything further!

GoldCoastHog

Long leaving leaves Arkansas's chances of firing Bret or firing Bret and then hiring a good coach slim. IMO

Are you drunk or high; or both?

rhames

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on October 13, 2017, 09:53:51 pm
Are you drunk or high; or both?

You think we could get a quality coach if we have a AD vacancy in December?

Please elaborate

GoldCoastHog

Dude, put down the pipe and walk away.

SRV

Quote from: aloha_kid on October 13, 2017, 03:25:27 pm
So, one of the most respected ADs in college sports is on the Hill, and has been, but hog fans fail to realize it or appreciate it.
Well.....some don't.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

rhames

GoldCoastHog

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: lechon on October 13, 2017, 07:37:34 pm
Long should stay, if the GOBYN takes back control of the athletic department we will be back to 2007 and quite possibly have HDN back in some form on the hill (foundation).

Lighten up Francis.

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: bigalphahawg on October 13, 2017, 09:58:06 pm
Well.....some don't.

What has HE done? What has Jeff Long specifically done by himself? Seriously? Rattle it off.

Tusks

Quote from: GoldCoastHog on October 13, 2017, 10:01:47 pm
What has HE done? What has Jeff Long specifically done by himself? Seriously? Rattle it off.

Don't you know he cured cancer and made a t-shirt about it?

Ironhawg

Quote from: tusked on October 13, 2017, 09:43:52 pm

I really can't believe that fans are worried about losing Jeff Long.  Not that he might get another job, but that fans are worried he'll leave.

Who fricken cares, it's not like he's a genius AD.

My only concern is that it will have a direct impact on whether or not Bielema is at Arkansas another season.  If Jeff Long leaves before the end of October that would leave about a month before the early signing period in December to get both an AD hired, Bielema fired, and a new football staff hired.  I just don't know if that is possible.  Even if you take the early signing period out of the equation, you still want to have your AD in place as soon as possible to get the football situation resolved  quickly so you have as little effect as possible on the February signing date.  Either way you must have the new AD in place before hiring a new head football coach.  Any coach worth a hoot will want to know who his boss is going to be.

GoldCoastHog

rhames

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 13, 2017, 10:05:13 pm
My only concern is that it will have a direct impact on whether or not Bielema is at Arkansas another season.  If Jeff Long leaves before the end of October that would leave about a month before the early signing period in December to get both an AD hired, Bielema fired, and a new football staff hired.  I just don't know if that is possible.  Even if you take the early signing period out of the equation, you still want to have your AD in place as soon as possible to get the football situation resolved  quickly so you have as little effect as possible on the February signing date.  Either way you must have the new AD in place before hiring a new head football coach.  Any coach worth a hoot will want to know who his boss is going to be.

Don't expect many to comprehend this.

Ironhawg

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 10:08:58 pm

All I know is this next football coaching hire is VERY important.  I don't know if I trust Long to make it, but I sure would rather do that than face another year of Bielema.

rhames

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 13, 2017, 10:12:36 pm
All I know is this next football coaching hire is VERY important.  I don't know if I trust Long to make it, but I sure would rather do that than face another year of Bielema.

Agreed.

grayhawg

So we have no AD or Head Coach in December.
WE do not have to sign kids in December we still have the old sighing period in February. And it's possible the new coach brings committs into the program. Don't create problems we have enough. The only way I would want Long to stay is not let him hire a coach.

Three and Snout

I heard today that Long will likely be the first to go and the Nebraska interest is real.  Apparently, the new chancellor isn't a fan, and neither are some on the BOT.  A new AD could do the "firing" of Bret, or the chancellor could do it.

There are a couple of BOT members that don't like how the athletic finances are handled, specifically how funds are kept separate from the rest of the university (not foundation money).  I imagine one of these is Pryor.  Once the AD and coach replacement dust settles, there may be more drama and/or infighting regarding the future of the athletic department as a whole.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Bret is the AD and hires Chip Kelly, Gruden or Petrino!!!
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

ur

Willing to take my chances instead of going with JL and BB.
Smart coaches figure out how to get good players.
Brohm brought in 5 graduate transfers. He now has 4 new starters and a receiver in the rotation so basically 5 impact players.

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: rhames on October 13, 2017, 10:08:58 pm

For some strange reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that hiring a replacement AD , be it internally or externally, is not going to be a massive hurdle for the UA.

Candidates will make themselves known fairly quickly.
Also, regarding a coaching search; I also suspect Long being gone may actually open some doors in the coaching fraternity, that may have been " turned off" by his leadership. I know this; when your AD essentially states that winning isn't everything; there's  a lot of highly competitive, motivated coaches that hear that , and are turned off. If I'm a coach that has high standards and expectations, I want to coach at a school where a premium is placed on winning. I want the fans to have high expectations! Why would you want to show up somewhere , and everyone's content with losing and just "breaking even "?