• 382,595 Topics
• 21,396 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It ain't gonna happen.  (Read 1291 times)

Piggfoot

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hog Table top cooker
It ain't gonna happen.
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:34:47 pm »

I don't thing there is any way that Long is fired before the North End Zone project is finished. The project is estimated  to cost. 160 million but there will probably be some over runs. If I were on a committee controlling Long's job I would be afraid the over runs would be greater if he is not over seeing the complete project.
Now as for Bielema I'm on the fence. I think his firing would also adversely affect the project unless Long or who ever determines Bielema's replacement finds a Gruden like replacement. An up and commer will not do it. So I guess I think both will be here until the project is over.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • TF Mountain Warrior '09-'10
Re: It ain't gonna happen.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 09:36:26 pm »

If Long cans him and hires the right dude, it might generate more revenue and donations.

Just sayin.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:37:16 pm »

Long will not be fired.  He will not be here much longer nonetheless.

Seebs

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:38:45 pm »

Right coach, an identity, competitive team - I could give two craps who is the bean counter. Stay in the shadows and let's win some games.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:40:12 pm »

He Must be fired for the hiring of Smile and Brets 15 million dollar handcuffs

The Hawg Marshal

• " National Champs 1909,1964 and 1977. "
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:13 pm »

Right coach, an identity, competitive team - I could give two craps who is the bean counter. Stay in the shadows and let's win some games.
I'm with you on this one.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:50:59 pm »

You must have been drinking moonshine and just sobered up. It's ~
6 million, not 15.

snoblind

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 09:54:06 pm »

Might want to check a couple of other threads and read through them.   

8)

East Clintwood

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 09:56:56 pm »

You must have been drinking moonshine and just sobered up. It's ~
6 million, not 15.

It's 6 mil at the end of the year, right now it's close to 7.

And it did start out at 15 so Long still tied us to a ridiculously one sided buyout.

farmhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:14 pm »

Long will be gone, stupid to think because a project is going that he can’t leave.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 08:33:46 am »

We shall see.

HogCard

• Senior
  • we lib da play anudder day
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 08:37:19 am »

now there's words of wisdom from someone who has it figured out and you could not be any more correct.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 08:39:23 am »

I don't thing there is any way that Long is fired before the North End Zone project is finished. The project is estimated  to cost. 160 million but there will probably be some over runs. If I were on a committee controlling Long's job I would be afraid the over runs would be greater if he is not over seeing the complete project.
Now as for Bielema I'm on the fence. I think his firing would also adversely affect the project unless Long or who ever determines Bielema's replacement finds a Gruden like replacement. An up and commer will not do it. So I guess I think both will be here until the project is over.
of course Long wont be fired. And Of Course BERT will be fired. It's very obvious. I do think Long is looking on his own to leave, however.

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 08:41:19 am »

Why would anyone think Jeff Long is the only man who can oversee a construction project?  Probably the same reason some people think he is the only athletic director capable of stacking up all the money the SEC sends us. 

TuskDr

• Band Nerd
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 08:43:32 am »

I agree with this. I bet that Long is currently looking for some place to land before the heat is really directed toward him. Right now his brand is probably still pretty good around the country.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Official Jeff Long Darksider!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 08:44:08 am »

of course Long wont be fired. And Of Course BERT will be fired. It's very obvious. I do think Long is looking on his own to leave, however.

To be honest, I believe he's being urged to look to leave.

ur

• The First Back to Back 7A Football State Champions
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 08:47:06 am »

Why would anyone think Jeff Long is the only man who can oversee a construction project?  Probably the same reason some people think he is the only athletic director capable of stacking up all the money the SEC sends us. 
agree. Jerra has built two $1 billion complexes. Piece of cake for him. Plus he gets to decorate it with Razorback history.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 08:47:07 am »

Long doesn't need to care what fans think about him to save his job.  As long as the headcount is right on the board of trustees, he's in the clear. 

sowmonella

• I am the danger.
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 08:48:37 am »

Might want to check a couple of other threads and read through them.   

8)

He doesn't read threads, just makes the same replies on each one. Look for carpetbagger to come up by noon.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 08:50:42 am »

And it did start out at 15 so Long still tied us to a ridiculously one sided buyout.

Some statements are so dumb it makes my head hurt. This is one.

razorbackfaninar

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 08:56:59 am »

This may be pointless to ask but why do we want Jeff Log fired now?  It was because of the enormous buyout.  It turned out we didn't understand the buyout and it is actually not a bad buy out. I see people continue to say he needs to be fired for hiring John L Smith, but I don't know if you realize how firing people works.  If you went in to work today and your boss said he was firing you for something you did five years ago, I think you'd have a few questions. So what is it that has people constantly saying " Jeff Long has got to go" I care as much about this program and have give as much, proportionally as any one to the program.  I want them to succeed in all sports and as a university, and I can't sit here and tell you I have seen one legitimate reason that Jeff Long should be fired.         

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 09:05:18 am »

I am scared that Bret will not be let go.  I am scared that Long will not be let go.  I am scared that if Bret is let go that Long will bring in Les Miles who did a good job at LSU with a herd of Bluechippers and Long is stupid enough to believe he could do that for us.  He can't.  That's right, can't.  If Long should choose the next HC, it will be pure happenstance if he should choose a winner for us.                                                                                                                   

Our program in flat on its back right now, totally done in.  The assistants finally became as confused as the HC and now the players have become as confused as the HC and the assistants.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 09:07:02 am »

Long doesn't need to care what fans think about him to save his job.  As long as the headcount is right on the board of trustees, he's in the clear.

No, it isn't about keeping his job.  It is about keeping the job with the autonomy to do as he sees fit without having the BOT or anyone else looking over his shoulder.  There are lots of ways to make people move along with firing them.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 09:08:54 am »

Would you listen to these people? lol

Redhogs

• Time to cruise.
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 09:15:08 am »

I agree with this...I don't like Long, think he is very arrogant and self promoting, but if hires another CBP without a blonde and a motorcycle with the same results on the field, at this point it does not matter whether he stays or goes. He is responsible for the new operations center and other football upgrades which to be honest were made possible because of BP's winning records..the argument could also be made that we need a complete house cleaning top to bottom. Some of his comments about the importance of winning have been very troubling....I dunno...we'll see I guess.

Sundog

• Walk-On
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 09:16:27 am »

Long will not be fired now nor even in the foreseeable future.  Bert will coach in 2018 with an improved record which will be used to justify his continuance.

grayhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 09:18:38 am »

Long will not be fired now nor even in the foreseeable future.  Bert will coach in 2018 with an improved record which will be used to justify his continuance.
As long as it's not here

Redhogs

• Time to cruise.
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 09:21:53 am »

Ah....no.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 09:24:36 am »

Which went down proportionally, it's the going rate on guaranteeing their salary.

snf6278

• Varsity
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 09:25:44 am »

I could see Long throwing out feelers to Nebraska and I think he would be better suited for the huskers. As for Bret, anything less than 8 wins and I think he’s gone. Just my two cents though.

davehog

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 09:32:53 am »

This argument does not hold water from an accounting perspective.  The capital has been budgeted for the project, and most likely a cost overrun provision is already in the budget.

I would also imagine there is a discretionary fund with respect to coaches salaries. If not, I would suspect the CFO type person of the AD Dept. easily restructure the budget to accommodate any financial changes.

Additionally, the Foundation is an unknown factir with respect to their ability to fund the buyout.  IF (big if) there were in fact big money boosters willing to foot the bill for the buyout, their money would go via the Foundation and therefore could be done anonymously. 

The real Hogules

• My Hogs are bad ass!
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 09:33:33 am »

Why, oh why didn't we make the companies working on the North End Zone projects sign a contract, with a cap on overages, unless modifications to the original plans were made at the request of the university??? Sarcasm off
Jeff Long's presence isn't necessary and has no bearing on the completion of the the stadium upgrades, as far as I can tell.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 09:35:45 am »

The only way the buyout would have ever been $15million is if Bielema had been fired the first month after the extension became official.

East Clintwood

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 03:15:05 pm »

Some statements are so dumb it makes my head hurt. This is one.

Not surprisingly, this is what I think about most of your posts as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas