Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A different thought on coaching change

Started by lakecityhog, October 12, 2017, 06:48:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

Rather than talk solely about a new head coach why don't we discuss assistant coaches.
My guess is that any new coach will want to bring many of the assistants that helped him get to where he is, but how many? MOST new coaches will keep at least 1 on field coach for at least a couple of years to help the transition and probably a few more of the off-field guys.

1. Who on our current staff stays? My money says Lunney which is probably the obvious choice, any others?

Dan Enos   Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks   
Paul Rhoads   Defensive Coordinator / Defensive Backs   
Kurt Anderson   Offensive Line   
Vernon Hargreaves   Linebackers   
Barry Lunney Jr.   Tight Ends   
Reggie Mitchell   Running Backs   
John Scott Jr.   Defensive Line   
Michael Smith   Wide Receivers   
Chad Walker   Outside Linebackers   

I think much will depend on the "WHO" we hire thing. If we hire a defensive guy could Enos be asked to stay?
Our maybe someone like Brohm keeping Rhoads? I seriously doubt that any of the others would be asked to stay. In my mind the only other real possibility would be Smith for his recruiting contacts.

What about the support staff?

Ben Herbert   Head Strength and Conditioning Coach
Mark Taurisani   Assistant Athletic Director of Football Operations
E.K. Franks   Director of Recruiting
Bobby Allen   Director of High School and NFL Relations
Matthew Engelbert   Director of Video
Matt Summers   Director of Athletic Training
Lucas Stortzum   Assistant Director of Football Operations
Brey Cook   Graduate Assistant for Offense
Taylor Reed   Graduate Assistant for Offense
Darius Eubanks   Graduate Assistant for Defense
Mark Sheridan   Graduate Assistant for Defense
Tanner Burns   Quality Control for Special Teams
Mike Giuliani   Quality Control for Defense
John Roberts   Quality Control for Offense
Morris Watts   Offensive Analyst
Wally Burnham   Defensive Analyst
Cory Bichey   Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Tenarius Wright   Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Kiero Small   Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Justin Tress   Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Daniel Bush   Assistant Recruiting Coordinator / Director of Personnel
Danielle Braswell   Recruiting Operations Assistant
Tyler Terry   Assistant Video Coordinator
Ashley Doucet   Post Production Video Assistant
Jake Rosch   Director of Football Equipment Operations
Ryan Robertson   Assistant Football Equipment Manager
Chris Hauler   Assistant Athletic Trainer
Timothy Ridner   Assistant Athletic Trainer
Clarinda Carr   Administrative Assistant to Head Coach
Laurie Hicks   Administrative Assistant to Assistant Coach
Tara Speer   Administrative Assistant to Recruiting

Maybe Taurisani, Franks and Allen? Probably C Carr, she has been around for many coaches. Possibly the analysts??

Maybe Lunney of the on field coaches, but only after interviewing him hard.  I would want to know that he realized this circus was not the typical training ground for a respectable team and that everything would be different and ask him to ask himself if he really wanted to be a part of success and invest the time and effort to be a part of success.  Any doubts I saw creep into the equation would render him gone too.  The 3 ring circus has to stop now. 

Boardon Hamsay

That Tanner Burns really has an uphill battle on making a new staff here.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

ballz2thewall

i could see enos, lunny and reggie mitchel staying. the rest..........meh....
The rest of the frog.

Boardon Hamsay

I've also been calling for Tyler Terry to be moved for years now.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

lakecityhog

You just forced a thought that kinda makes senses to my crazy mind!

Have we really has so many BAD assistant coaches? Or have these guys been saddled with a philosophy that limits their ability to actually coach their position?

Take Lunney and our Tight Ends for example, have those guys been stunted as TE's because for the last 2 years they have been almost forced to become extra tackles?

Have other coaches felt forced to play kids that "do the right thing" over kids that are maybe better players, but not the "yes M'aam" types?

PorkSoda

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 12, 2017, 07:51:53 pm
Have other coaches felt forced to play kids that "do the right thing" over kids that are maybe better players, but not the "yes M'aam" types?
I don't think you can have different expectations for different players.  if you expect your players to answer with "yes sir" except for one guy because he is talented, how do you expect the rest of the team to respond?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

lakecityhog

"Yes M'aam" was just a stereotype meaning that not every kid does EVERYTHING just right and don't kid yourself about coaches putting up with a little more from the stars.

Collins scores his 1st TD and runs up and stands on the tarp and gets a celebration penalty. BB "talks" to him about it.

JWill  does the "hands up" motion after a score and BB talks to him about it.

A 2nd teamer misses a class or 2 and is removed from the team. And I am sure that there are probably many other instances that we may not know the particulars of.