Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Believe It or Not, Bielema Could Still Survive

Started by NaturalStateReb, October 12, 2017, 06:37:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 13, 2017, 11:43:55 am
I'll tell you why I think they can't: Because Auburn can both run and pass well (plus defend). He hasn't been able to stop a team that can do both in five years here. Auburn might beat Arkansas worse than what Alabama does this weekend.
I've been wrong plenty before, though, and would love to be wrong again on this.

I don't think many people would bet against you on this.

riccoar

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 13, 2017, 11:43:55 am
I'll tell you why I think they can't: Because Auburn can both run and pass well (plus defend). He hasn't been able to stop a team that can do both in five years here. Auburn might beat Arkansas worse than what Alabama does this weekend.
I've been wrong plenty before, though, and would love to be wrong again on this.
Anybody with an objective mind would have to concur.  Our program is down from last year.  They have improved.  The only folks not agreeing have a different agenda named Gus.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 13, 2017, 11:34:16 am
Yes....I am dancing a jig. I love when Arkansas gets flogged on a weekly basis. Gimme a break. I told anyone who would listen that this was a bad hire. That he was confused, unmotivated, all hat, no cattle and in over his head. I got labeled irrational, crazy, petrino lover, trouble maker, riff Raff, trash, a no good Irish boy and there was some bad things said too...

Fact is, I hate it. I hate losing, I hate being non competitive. And I hate having to continue hoping that Bret pulls up on the controls and can save himself because if he doesn't, we are gonna have a war between money, wanting Tim Horton and Jeff who would hire a damn Les Miles.

But don't label me dancing a jig or jumping for joy because this little project never got off the ground. Just because I don't come on here discussing the virtues of the 37 dive with the rest of the jackals doesn't mean I am happy. Just because I know human nature, body language and fat cats, doesn't make me the poster boy for hatred of this program...nor.does it label me as a told you so....but...I told you so.

I hate it when we lose. Doesn't matter if Bret, Bobby, Smile or Hooten is on the sidelines.

PRJ

If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, don't complain about something that doesn't apply to you.

Sounds as if I hit a nerve with you, from your reaction. Don't go looking for an argument when one doesn't exist and when no one is accusing you.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 13, 2017, 12:38:34 pm
If the shoe fits, wear it. If not, don't complain about something that doesn't apply to you.

Sounds as if I hit a nerve with you, from your reaction. Don't go looking for an argument when one doesn't exist and when no one is accusing you.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought his reply was overly sensitive when it never mentioned him.

code red

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 12, 2017, 06:43:35 pm
I agree we've seen all he's ever going to do here, and that he won't be here a lot longer, but a bowl is not inconceivable.  It'll be harder to let him go on a winning streak.
The mentality of the football team is about to be crushed, smashed, obliderated by 2 teams from Bama.  There in not one thing any fan can do about it.  2-5....and we can only lose one more?  Ain't happening.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hoglady on October 13, 2017, 11:31:24 am
No one forced Bielema to play either of the Allen boys.
We've had quite a few 4 and 5 star QB's on the roster since Bielema has been here.
His choice to play Brandon and Austin.
Austin was a good QB last year - our pititful Oline over the last 2 years has turned him into a not very good QB.

Just out of curiosity, who would you have started besides Brandon and Austin Allen?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

sickboy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 12, 2017, 10:28:25 pm
I expect Bielema to keep expanding until, one day, he catches a wind and rolls out of town.

No offense, but that'd be a helluva gust of wind.

judgeroyswine

Doesn't anyone remember how bad we were at the end of last year? And how we have only digressed since then?

He gone. If not, the stands will be so empty.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

10thPlanet

Reb, if CBB wins 7 and a bowl game he deserves another year. I just don't see it, but it would mean he did a complete turnaround. I would support him for another year if he could pull that off.

Steef

I have NO inside info.

But I think he's gone.

I dont think Jeff is, but Im less confident.

As for 7-5, the Hogs I saw last week vs USC, didnt look like they could win a conference game this year.

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 13, 2017, 03:07:26 pm
Just out of curiosity, who would you have started besides Brandon and Austin Allen?

Why.....the backup.....wait, can't, Austin was Brandon's backup......

factchecker

The 3rd string QB at SMU.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoglady

I was responding to the statement that Bielema might deserve a year without an Allen at QB.

I think Brandon and Austin were the best options and I think both are very good QB's.
I don't think we had anyone any better on the sideline.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

thebignasty

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 13, 2017, 08:06:00 pm
I'll disagree. No reason to not be 5-0 right now.

Id be a-ok with 4-1(TCU loss), and not thrilled but understanding of 3-2 with a competitive, hard fought game with USCe.

Losing to AM again and USCe roll over are bad. Too many inexcusable losses.

factchecker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 13, 2017, 08:06:00 pm
I'll disagree. No reason to not be 5-0 right now.

I might have missed the reasoning behind "winnable" but I was interpreting it to mean that we were within striking distance during the game.

AnM was winnable.  South Carolina and TCU not so much.  I agree that in year 5 that both of those games (especially USC minus 3 starters on the o-line!!!!!!) should be winnable but they were not.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Smashmouth2004

Bowl game? We will win at best 4 games and then the administration should send him packing. His style of football with the caliber of recruits we get is all wrong. He's stubborn and thinks he can get the big dominant OL to run over defenses but those players are hard to get. He needs to switch to an run throw option offense where a player like Bohanon would fit but like I said, he's too stubborn!

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 12, 2017, 06:47:25 pm
HDN won 8 games the year he was fired and 10 games the year before that.

HDN defeated the #1 team and eventual national champ on their home field and no one shed a tear at his departure for a rival three days later.  90% of the fan base had already cut ties with Nutt.

Even if he somehow duplicated Nutt's feat tomorrow about the same percent cut their ties with Bielema in the last month and to all appearances so has he.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on October 13, 2017, 08:13:17 pm
I might have missed the reasoning behind "winnable" but I was interpreting it to mean that we were within striking distance during the game.

AnM was winnable.  South Carolina and TCU not so much.  I agree that in year 5 that both of those games (especially USC minus 3 starters on the o-line!!!!!!) should be winnable but they were not.

Vs. TCU
Last of the 1st quarter: 1st and 10 at TCU 11 ends in missed FG. Should have been a TD to bring us to a 14-7 lead.
End of 3rd quarter, TCU leading 14-7: 1st and Goal at TCU 3 ends in missed FG. Another 7 left on the field.
Down 14-7, coaching mistake on a short KO giving TCU the ball at their own 45. 7 plays and 55 yards later, TCU scores to go up 21-7.
On the ensuing KO Ret we fumble and TCU runs it in from 13 yards out. 28-7

14 points left on the field despite a lackluster offensive performance of 267 total yards and a strategy mistake on the part of the staff in the kicking game, handed TCU this game.

S. Carolina

1st Quarter: Fumble in our end of the field leads to 3 pts for USC.
2nd Quarter: Missed assignment on defense allows their only offensive big play of the game, 62 yds for a TD.
2nd Quarter: Incorrect PI call in EZ bu Officials hands USC another shot at a TD (but heckuva catch by their WR the second time).
3rd Quarter: After a start from still more premium field position, a FG, another 3 points.
4th Quarter: Still more premium field position starting from their own 40, 11 plays, 60 yards, another 7.

21 points handed to them in TD's and 3 more on a FG by the offense for a total of 24 points. With the final earned score being 24-22 and yet another lackluster offensive performance of 330 total yards, we still had our chances.

Point being, had the staff done their part and had the team prepared, there isn't any reason that we shouldn't have won this game as well. The defense as played well enough for us to win 2 of the 3 but key coaching mistakes on offense and ST's have been the root cause of our 3 losses.

I'm sticking with the notion that we should have won all 3 and should be 5-0 headed to Alabama.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 12, 2017, 09:36:10 pm
It's pretty silly to beg for disaster with 7 games left.  We aren't going to win Saturday. We probably aren't going to win the next Saturday.  But a 7-6 season would be much better for these seniors than the alternative.  If you're a fan hope for the best and support the players who bust their ass to win.

Maybe Bielema deserves a chance at one year with a QB not named Allen. 

Not begging for disaster, but sometimes a little suck today, is worth the change for a better tomorrow.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Steef

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 14, 2017, 04:02:58 am
Not begging for disaster, but sometimes a little suck today, is worth the change for a better tomorrow.

I would prefer a glorious victory. I would prefer that all of Bret's planning & coaching suddenly gel and our Hogs fight as one unit and overthrow Goliath.

That is what I prefer.

I THINK... we're gonna get your "disaster".

JackTNHogfan

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 14, 2017, 04:02:58 am

This reminds me of the latter days of Nutt where some fans were actually hoping the team would get beaten to hasten the departure of HDN.

I'm pulling for the Hogs to win. Would a win against Alabama give rise to Bielema's stock? Probably to some extent. But the only way that it would endure is if the team played the same way in every other game for the rest of the year and dumb coaching mistakes were somehow banished from every game. Given Bielema's history, what is the likelihood of that happening?

So yes, for the kids on the team, I hope they slip up on Alabama and beat them. I doubt that would counteract the momentum that is building to replace Bielema.
Go Hogs Go!

The Kig

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on October 12, 2017, 08:26:32 pm
Honestly, why would an elite recruit who could go anywhere want to go to Ark in the middle of all this uncertainty?

Not sure why people think we are just going to replace CBB with a top notch coach for the same reason.  I understand that he may well be fired and probably should be, but what coach is going to want to jump into this dumpster fire?  It's not Ole Miss bad, but it is going to be a tough sell. 
Poker Porker

East Clintwood

Quote from: The Kig on October 14, 2017, 12:30:14 pm
Not sure why people think we are just going to replace CBB with a top notch coach for the same reason.  I understand that he may well be fired and probably should be, but what coach is going to want to jump into this dumpster fire?  It's not Ole Miss bad, but it is going to be a tough sell. 

No.  There's really only two basic reasons for a coaching hire.   

About half are to replace a coach that's either retired or has moved on to another school

The other half are to replace a failed coach that's presided over a dumpster fire.

So our situation is really quite common.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

NaturalStateReb

After Saturday, what do you think?  Is a bowl more likely or less likely?

I don't think my opinion has changed much.  Arkansas looked a bit better.  LSU obviously looked much better.  Ole Miss looked improved.  My opinion about State and Missouri remained unchanged, and Coastal Carolina was dominated by Arkansas State.

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Steef on October 13, 2017, 03:51:04 pm
I have NO inside info.

But I think he's gone.

I dont think Jeff is, but Im less confident.

As for 7-5, the Hogs I saw last week vs USC, didnt look like they could win a conference game this year.

If they lose this week to Auburn, in order to get to 7-5 they'd have to win out.

Not going to happen. 

I see them at 6-6 with a trip to beautiful Shreveport.   ;)

hogcard1964

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 16, 2017, 08:21:01 am

I don't think my opinion has changed much.  Arkansas looked a bit better.  LSU obviously looked much better.  Ole Miss looked improved.  My opinion about State and Missouri remained unchanged, and Coastal Carolina was dominated by Arkansas State.

Auburn - Loss
at Ole Pee - Win
Coastal Carolina - Win
at LSU - Loss
Miss St - Win
Mizzouri - Win

Independence vs that rough Syracuse team.

Pork Twain

Auburn - Loss
at Ole Miss- Loss
Coastal Carolina - Win
at LSU - Loss
Miss St - Loss
Mizzouri - Win
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HotlantaHog

Regarding the OP, if Arkansas starts 2-5 (04), and ends up 7-5 (4-4) with five straight victories and four straight conference wins, Bielema survives.

The schedule is favorable in the second half and each of the games is winnable. No doubt Arkansas fans will rally around the team and even Bret will pick up a little support after five straight wins. It's probably enough to keep his job.

TCU, Texas A&M and South Carolina all looked like tossup games at the time of the games and of course Arkansas lost them all. So it's a stretch to think Arkansas will necessarily win games just because they are winnable.

Ex-Trumpet

A-State beat Coastal Carolina 51-17...so there's that mark to shoot for!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

HognotinMemphis

If Hogs get to Mizzou with no win other than CC, they won't suddenly win the Mizzou game either. Mizzou not measurably worse than Ark is. Face it, Ark is bad in every phase. Really bad. One of the worst P5 programs in the country. Bottom 25% for sure.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Jim Harris

Where did Vanderbilt's semblance of a defense go? Seems like after Alabama ground them in the dirt, they gave up. Arkansas doesn't have to worry about that, because it seemed like the defense had given up BEFORE playing the TIDE and actually decided to get after it somewhat.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ur

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 16, 2017, 09:02:45 am
Regarding the OP, if Arkansas starts 2-5 (04), and ends up 7-5 (4-4) with five straight victories and four straight conference wins, Bielema survives.

The schedule is favorable in the second half and each of the games is winnable. No doubt Arkansas fans will rally around the team and even Bret will pick up a little support after five straight wins. It's probably enough to keep his job.

TCU, Texas A&M and South Carolina all looked like tossup games at the time of the games and of course Arkansas lost them all. So it's a stretch to think Arkansas will necessarily win games just because they are winnable.
If he does that, he needs to use it to shop for a new gig. Especially with his "new" buyout. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 16, 2017, 09:53:29 am
If Hogs get to Mizzou with no win other than CC, they won't suddenly win the Mizzou game either. Mizzou not measurably worse than Ark is. Face it, Ark is bad in every phase. Really bad. One of the worst P5 programs in the country. Bottom 25% for sure.

yep. Even managed to botch an extra point Saturday night by the one placekicker who can make a field goal. At least Hedlund was perfect on PATs.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 16, 2017, 09:58:10 am
yep. Even managed to botch an extra point Saturday night by the one placekicker who can make a field goal. At least Hedlund was perfect on PATs.

Serious question, kinda:  if a Hogs girl's soccer player suits up and kicks, would her soccer schollie count towards the Hogs football total?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DeltaBoy

I got some hope for the Hogs this week and I can see on paper where he could survive but I am not holding my breath.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 16, 2017, 10:31:54 am
I got some hope for the Hogs this week and I can see on paper where he could survive but I am not holding my breath.
What about Long? How do you feel about him?
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Lanny on October 12, 2017, 06:41:08 pm
Would boosters and fans be happy if Bielema returns with a 6-6 season, ofer while trailing at the half.  Zero adjustments at half, embarrassing losses to conference opponents.

Right. If you look back at what we did in 2014 to get to 6-6...that was real effort. There was excitement and optimism. I'm not sure I see that ahead of us this year.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

311Hog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 16, 2017, 09:02:45 am

I think this could definitely happen, mainly because if it did that would mean that CK was likely the QB for the rest of year, and that would signal something to hope for next year.

Something to build on if you will.

I thought we competed for the most part on Offense, but we just got dragged by a dominate team.

something of note, i have never seen a speed difference so great than what i saw on the field Saturday.  we looked like we were playing the game wearing weights.

TeufelHog

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on October 13, 2017, 08:43:01 pm
HDN won 8 games the year he was fired and 10 games the year before that.

HDN defeated the #1 team and eventual national champ on their home field and no one shed a tear at his departure for a rival three days later.  90% of the fan base had already cut ties with Nutt.

Yeah, but because of whom?  Wait for it . . . . . . . . . . . . oh that's right, Gus Malzhan