Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Coach...Old School or New School ?

Started by twistitup, October 12, 2017, 03:29:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you rather have an older coach w experience or young 'up and comer'?

Old School - experienced / traditional
New School- younger, experimental / innovative
FP

twistitup

I'm going young....up and comer type

Give me something fresh
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Tusks

yes on young and add an offensive guru.  offense can win some games and keep everyone moving while you build a defense.  you're always in the game when you have a great offense.  steal some wins, build a defense over a few years.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

alohawg

Another traditionalist would fit the definition of insane. Let's be sane this time.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

ToddW

Completely agree.  Young offensive minded up and comer.  Focus on greasy/nasty speed and build a sick defense with depth
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

Spektre

Whether it is new or old, someone has to bring something different to the table. You can't go standard scheme vs standard scheme in Arkansas and win anything of importance. We can't expect to do the same things other power teams in the conference are doing when we know damn good and well our talent won't match up to their talent. Gotta do something different with gameplans to try to even the playing field. This is one big reason why Bielema failed. You can't out Bama Bama with talent substantially less than Bama.

twistitup

Quote from: Spektre on October 12, 2017, 03:39:12 pm
Whether it is new or old, someone has to bring something different to the table. You can't go standard scheme vs standard scheme in Arkansas and win anything of importance. We can't expect to do the same things other power teams in the conference are doing when we know damn good and well our talent won't match up to their talent. Gotta do something different with gameplans to try to even the playing field. This is one big reason why Bielema failed. You can't out Bama Bama with talent substantially less than Bama.

Clint S. agrees - didn't he say we needed to be 'exotic' to compete in the SEC?

I think he's got a good point
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Tusks

Got to try and catch lightning in a bottle.

The Hawg Marshal

Yep. That's why all the talk about Miles makes me cringe.

Tusks

I kind of think the results are significant.  I think it shows the fans will give a young guy a chance.

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Ironhawg

Quote from: twistitup on October 12, 2017, 03:29:58 pm

Give me something fresh

I am slowly warming up to the spread offense.  I like being multiple where you can take whatever the defense gives you.  If they take away the run, you dink and dunk them to death.  If they take away the pass, you run it down their throats. 

PLHawg

No re-treads, no fat & happy I'm just here for the $.

We need young & hungry.

The days of chasing after the "big name" are over and done with.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I want a coach that's young but not too young.

I want a coach that has a philosophy and brand he believes in but is willing to change.

I want a coach that can recruit Texas but also have strong ties to Florida and the West Coach.

I want a coach that has a good looking wife but not distractingly good looking.  I'm good with a 6 to an 8.  Anything beyond 8 and the coach is either worried about her finding something else or all he thinks about is going home to jump on her.

I want the coach's wife to be more of a team mom, but a cool team mom, not a frumpy one.

I want the coach to have between 1 and 3 children.  2 is ideal because they can keep each other company.  I'd be ok with 3 but then the coach has to make it to so many events, games, plays etc.  3 would be OK I guess if two of them are twins.

I want the coach's children to be well adjusted and between the ages of 14 and 22.  This way they can basically take care of themselves and don't count on their parents for everything.  At that age most kids don't want to spend time with their parents anyway.

I wan the coach to be well versed in social media but I don't want it to be their thing.  Retweet a recruit, or post something to get the fans excited about a game, but no trolling, meme creating, or Snap Chatting.  You are a GD adult male.

I want the coach's taste in music to be from the 70's forward.  Be current on what the kids like but again don't make it your thing.  Also don't be so into one genre like say reggae that it's your thing.

I'd like the coach to be up on fashion trends but not cutting edge or fashion forward.  It should be written into his contract that he avoids manbuns and beanies.  Look the part of a professional man leading a multi-million dollar organization.  If your idea of looking sharp on game day is throwing on whatever sweatshirt or pullover is on top of the pile, hire someone to coordinate your wardrobe for you.  Remember you are repping the UofA at all times.  You want to look like a slob, go coach at Akron.

I want a coach that is physically fit, but not so buff that you know he is spending more time in the weight room than the film room.  Be a good example for the team so you have some credibility when you tell that fat slow full back he needs to lose a few pounds.

I want a coach that runs a tight ship but is not a hard ass.  Be more like there father than their brother, unless of course it's my brother who was a good bit older than me and a total dick (sorry bro but there were just one too many wedgies). 

I want a coach that comes from a good coaching tree so I can point to that as a reason he will be successful.  We all know who you coached under all but predicts your success.

I want a coach that is a good tipper because bad tippers are just greedy aholes.  But I don't want him to be such a good tipper that he is doing it for the sole reason to be a good tipper and so that wait people think more of him.

I want a coach that drives a car or other vehicle with a 5 star safety rating because I don't want to be worrying about him getting into accidents and not being able to coach.

I want a coach that is decent with the media.  Don't develop a reputation as coach sound bite, or the one everyone wants to hear because he is so funny or folksy.  Don't be their buddy or overly concerned with what they ask, say, post or print.  Don't got pissing other teams off and giving them bulletin board material, unless of course you can coach like Steve Spurrier then he did it just to eff with people.  Don't be dry as sandpaper either.

I want a coach that if he got lost on a road trip he would stop and ask for directions.  Shows a willingness to change if something isn't working.

I know there are a few more things that are important to me but if they can at least start with these I'll be happy.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Cinco de Hogo

At the time Petrino was fired I explained that we were ahead of the curve in the SEC with him and going back to old school was idiotic.  Didn't matter we went back while others moved ahead, now it will be very hard to get that edge again.  Who we gonna hire that is better than what several SEC schools are doing now? 

I just don't know who it is or what it is but I hope we get IT!

colbs

I am hoping for a defensive minded HC.  Then let him hire a offensive guru to run that side of the ball.  I think there are more offensive coaches out there than defensive.  So I think it would be easier to find a legit offensive coordinator.  Plus Arkansas as a state seems to produce more offensive players than defensive.  At least Sec caliber.  Arkansas has some really good offenses over the last 15 years but defense seems to always be the achilles heel.

jgphillips3

Tusks

The spread is here to stay.  With the targeting rules and and rules in general it supports more offense.  Why not take advantage of the rules.  If they call for more passing then pass more.  Why try and prove that a school can be an outlier and go ahead embrace what everyone else is already doing.

It will be easier to recruit and stay competitive.  If you happen to get a great crop of 5-7 OL that are 4* and develop, then go ahead and run more.

If offense can get some wins then it can build momentum for the program and make it more attractive to great defensive players.

PLHawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 12, 2017, 04:49:02 pm
I want a coach that's young but not too young.

I want a coach that has a philosophy and brand he believes in but is willing to change.

I want a coach that can recruit Texas but also have strong ties to Florida and the West Coach.

I want a coach that has a good looking wife but not distractingly good looking.  I'm good with a 6 to an 8.  Anything beyond 8 and the coach is either worried about her finding something else or all he thinks about is going home to jump on her.

I want the coach's wife to be more of a team mom, but a cool team mom, not a frumpy one.

I want the coach to have between 1 and 3 children.  2 is ideal because they can keep each other company.  I'd be ok with 3 but then the coach has to make it to so many events, games, plays etc.  3 would be OK I guess if two of them are twins.

I want the coach's children to be well adjusted and between the ages of 14 and 22.  This way they can basically take care of themselves and don't count on their parents for everything.  At that age most kids don't want to spend time with their parents anyway.

I wan the coach to be well versed in social media but I don't want it to be their thing.  Retweet a recruit, or post something to get the fans excited about a game, but no trolling, meme creating, or Snap Chatting.  You are a GD adult male.

I want the coach's taste in music to be from the 70's forward.  Be current on what the kids like but again don't make it your thing.  Also don't be so into one genre like say reggae that it's your thing.

I'd like the coach to be up on fashion trends but not cutting edge or fashion forward.  It should be written into his contract that he avoids manbuns and beanies.  Look the part of a professional man leading a multi-million dollar organization.  If your idea of looking sharp on game day is throwing on whatever sweatshirt or pullover is on top of the pile, hire someone to coordinate your wardrobe for you.  Remember you are repping the UofA at all times.  You want to look like a slob, go coach at Akron.

I want a coach that is physically fit, but not so buff that you know he is spending more time in the weight room than the film room.  Be a good example for the team so you have some credibility when you tell that fat slow full back he needs to lose a few pounds.

I want a coach that runs a tight ship but is not a hard ass.  Be more like there father than their brother, unless of course it's my brother who was a good bit older than me and a total dick (sorry bro but there were just one too many wedgies). 

I want a coach that comes from a good coaching tree so I can point to that as a reason he will be successful.  We all know who you coached under all but predicts your success.

I want a coach that is a good tipper because bad tippers are just greedy aholes.  But I don't want him to be such a good tipper that he is doing it for the sole reason to be a good tipper and so that wait people think more of him.

I want a coach that drives a car or other vehicle with a 5 star safety rating because I don't want to be worrying about him getting into accidents and not being able to coach.

I want a coach that is decent with the media.  Don't develop a reputation as coach sound bite, or the one everyone wants to hear because he is so funny or folksy.  Don't be their buddy or overly concerned with what they ask, say, post or print.  Don't got pissing other teams off and giving them bulletin board material, unless of course you can coach like Steve Spurrier then he did it just to eff with people.  Don't be dry as sandpaper either.

I want a coach that if he got lost on a road trip he would stop and ask for directions.  Shows a willingness to change if something isn't working.

I know there are a few more things that are important to me but if they can at least start with these I'll be happy.

Whew!  Dude, you put a lot of thought into that, kudos!

Tusks

And I'm not saying go hire Morris at SMU because he's form TX but get a guy that can be embraced and be successful in the state of TX.  For all the JJ, Cowboys, etc. etc. it just doesn't seem like it does much for the football recruiting.  I'll change my tune, when the hogs sign 10 guys from TX in the top 250.

There's NO REASON the okie lite cowboys should out recruit the Hogs in the state of TX.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: colbs on October 12, 2017, 04:53:31 pm
I am hoping for a defensive minded HC.  Then let him hire a offensive guru to run that side of the ball.  I think there are more offensive coaches out there than defensive.  So I think it would be easier to find a legit offensive coordinator.  Plus Arkansas as a state seems to produce more offensive players than defensive.  At least Sec caliber.  Arkansas has some really good offenses over the last 15 years but defense seems to always be the achilles heel.

This is totally opposite of anything that has ever been considered a modicum of success at Arkansas.  We are fixing to fire a defensive coach.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 12, 2017, 05:00:56 pm
This is totally opposite of anything that has ever been considered a modicum of success at Arkansas.  We are fixing to fire a defensive coach.

Defense and line play are his specialties :)
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

bkjbearcat

New school.

Can't run the ground and pound in the SEC without consistent 5* players. But in you can have a good to great spread offense with 3's and fours. Plus I know Arkansas would of recruited better over the last five years if they had a spread. It would of attracted better quality of receivers, linemen even QB's from Texas.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

menace_hawg3

I just want a coach who focuses on the whole game. You have to have a good to decent defense in this league. We had a pretty good defense in 2010. If we get an offensive coach, I hope he's someone like Petersen. If we get another defensive minded coach, I hope he's like Patterson.

colbs

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 12, 2017, 05:00:56 pm
Well Nutt was a offensive coach, it doesn't mean another offensive coach shouldn't be hired.  I'm saying I would like to get a defensive guru like Venables and have him hire a offensive mind. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: colbs on October 12, 2017, 06:45:15 pm
Well Nutt was a offensive coach, it doesn't mean another offensive coach shouldn't be hired.  I'm saying I would like to get a defensive guru like Venables and have him hire a offensive mind.

I wasn't considering Nutt a success but he did get us to two SECCG's.  Broyles, Holtz, Petrino.

colbs

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 12, 2017, 06:56:55 pm
I wasn't considering Nutt a success but he did get us to two SECCG's.  Broyles, Holtz, Petrino.
I never thought of BB as a hire profile defensive guy.  The top 3 teams in the SEC have the best defenses.  You have to a good defense if you want to be in the top tier.  Just because you hire a defensive guy doesn't mean they can't run a spread or uptempo offense.

GoHogzzGo

Style doesn't matter. It is their detail and ability to develop players to where they execute the coach's plan at a high level. New and old coaches can be innovative or unpredictable in their system.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: colbs on October 12, 2017, 07:18:30 pm
I never thought of BB as a hire profile defensive guy.  The top 3 teams in the SEC have the best defenses.  You have to a good defense if you want to be in the top tier.  Just because you hire a defensive guy doesn't mean they can't run a spread or uptempo offense.

It can be done but Arkansas isn't building a defense that is better than those top three.  So the question becomes, can a defensive coach hire an offensive coordinator THAT good, how long can you keep one that good, can you hire another one THAT good.

Then would a defensive coach be able to stand his OC getting all the attention?  Saban doesn't have to worry about that because his defense is an offense unto itself.

Stoops came to OK as a rookie HC and got Leach to be OC.  SMART.  The problem is that I seriously doubt when we hire a coach that we have the brains to question him, before we hire him, about who he plans to have as assistants.  OK actually did that with Stoops as I remember.  Will he have a Special teams coach.  Will he actually work down on the field during practice so those blue blood genes he has stands a chance of flowing over onto the troops, or will he avoid the players as if he would rather not know them.

Proper hiring is the most important part of the equation.  We usually fail to do that.  I see no reason to believe we will do any better with the next hire.

Professor Pig

October 12, 2017, 08:03:49 pm #29 Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:46:07 pm by Professor Pig
There's also the extremely experimental option: a Rhett Lashlee type.

Disclaimer: I much prefer the tried and proven option, but outside of Leach or Brohm I fail to see the plausible candidates. Mike Norvell is fairly experimental in my opinion as well.

moses_007

Bielema is as old school as you can get. 

wachhog

Quote from: alohawg on October 12, 2017, 03:33:47 pm
Another traditionalist would fit the definition of insane. Let's be sane this time.
I'm just fearful we'll have  some traditionalist old geezers picking the coach.

wachhog

Quote from: alohawg on October 12, 2017, 03:33:47 pm
I'm just fearful we'll have  some traditionalist old geezers picking the coach.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: twistitup on October 12, 2017, 03:29:58 pm

Give me something fresh

This.

Last two have been "experienced" and didn't work out for two very different reasons. Let's get some new blood.

jvanhorn

Quote from: tusked on October 12, 2017, 03:32:14 pm
yes on young and add an offensive guru.  offense can win some games and keep everyone moving while you build a defense.  you're always in the game when you have a great offense.  steal some wins, build a defense over a few years.

Sure sounds like Mike Leach to me, lol.

Potosihog

My fear is we will get in the ditch on the other side of the road.  When relationships end badly the common reaction is over reaction.  Fan bases and even ADs go looking for someone their previous coach was not.  If we have a high powered spread offense but a horrid defense none of us are going to be happy with that either.

I don't really care about the "style".  I want attention to detail and precision practice and play.  I want a coach with fire but not one the players hate. 

I don't know that we will ever have a coach who consistently brings in top 15 recruiting classes.  But we do need a coach who can get difference makers within that class and then develop the players around them. 

The dynamics of a coaches success are many.  CBB dropped into the Arkansas program at a different time might have been wildly successful.   It is obvious the timing and circumstances of this tenure has not worked out.  We are going the wrong direction fast.

DoctorSusscrofa

An old school coach would get slammed by fans quickly unless he was lucky and won big immediately. I don't enjoy new school, but for now that's what's needed to either get some early success or to show that new school doesn't automatically win. Either it gets us in the spread and we respond well. Or we have another disaster and learn that style is just style and doesn't guarantee you anything without great players.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Hogs-n-Roses

An up n coming offensive coach (Brohm) might leave room in our cheap budget,yes cheap is the way we go. We pay our whole staff close to what Bama pays their HC. Even A$M spends a couple of mil on a DC. Arkansas has gone cheap across the board and you see the results on the field. Maybe this way we would actually pay for a premium DC, special teams coach....We either need to get in the game or get out of the SEC. I'm tired of being a whipping post.

Enter the propaganda machine, We've only averaged X number of wins, we are consistent with the middle of the road in paying our HC, since joining the SEC,we can't recruit, we're in the hills......blah, blah, blah. Change your napkin. We are the Arkansas Razorbacks, a storied and potential sleeping monster with great resources, money, tradition n history. If your a real fan quit backing these losers running our program and lets get with the program.

Yes its gonna take lots of money. Can't take it with us when we go. All the resources the Alabama's of the world are using are not cheating(some are). They have a system of recruiting that sends a fleet of cars out with assistants and volunteers to high school games all over the south, about 5X what most schools do. They have boxes of bama, hats,polos, t shirts and other gear for high school coaches,fans n players families.IE they push the rules to the edge,and go over said rules all the time, turn themselves in for minor rules violations and move on to the next area. This is just one area.

We have a chance right now to change. Now will we do it right or put a bandaid on a gaping wound,go cheap again and head back up to the middle of the pack and stay there cause we are at the very bottom of the pack right now.

jkstock04

What do ya know...this is looking like one topic most everyone agrees on. That doesn't happen often.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogCard

don't care just as long as they have the IT factor to recruit the Jimmies and Joes and then surround themselves with capable offensive and defensive TEACHERS

PLHawg

Well, I don't think we're going to have to worry that we wind up with a coach using an archaic pro-style offense, since CBB is one of the only coaches in the country who still uses it.

King Kong

I just want to win.

I prefer a multiple prostyle offense. Find the basic spread team boring. Watching the read option 30 times a game makes me sick.

But if it wins. I will get over it.

Hogs-n-Roses

Whoever does the hiring/research for hiring must get across to this person exactly what its gonna take to get it done here. You fellow posters have it figured out what our limitations are and how to offset them. Where our failures have been and this person must listen. He cannot come in here and be stubborn and gonna do it his way or he'll just keep digging deeper n deeper out of contention. Now lets see, the Bielemers wanted and demanded 5 years to rebuild then have asked for it to be 7-9. So how long should we have to wait to see marked improvement. I say 3 years.

(notOM)Rebel123

Youngster with some fire and innovative ideas. Someone who also takes pride in their appearance.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

The real Hogules

I'd prefer someone who has been there and done that, to rolling the dice for 4-6 years in hopes that a young coach can "grow into" the position. It's a crap shoot either way, but I'll take my chances with a more experienced head coach (like a Gundy, or a Brohm).

Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Razor1997

Whatever gets us to .500 or better in conference play every year.

That said, New School probably gives us a better chance to compete with the athletes we'd be able to get.

AugustaHog

Quote from: colbs on October 12, 2017, 06:45:15 pm
I'm all for the offensive minded head coach unless this type of scenario were to play out.  If you can get a guy like Venables, you take him.  I know he's had studs at both OU and Clemson.  How involved does he get at recruiting?  I know most of the coordinators that we have had in the past (Enos and Rhoads are a bit different) have been pretty poor recruiters or were hands off.  I think that would be my only question about BV.  Can the man come in and set up a recruiting machine here?  I know we're not going to be top 5 or anything, but we need to be in that 12-18 range every year to have a shot. 

RazorPiggie

parallaxpig

We need the next generation guy.  Everybody runs a version of the spread. We need the guy who sees the next new thing in offensive scheming which is moneyball for football. The incubator has been in Little Rock at Pulaski Academy.  Not saying Kevin Kelly is the head coach but OC not out of line. Pundits laughed off Gus at first. We can't recruit our way to the top so at least why not be unique.   If you watched the real sports episodes about PA and analytics, the numbers say it could work. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

JaketheSnake

Let's run the Wing-T if we can win with it. If we need to run a system where we never have a running back, let's do it if we can win with it.  PA's system of rarely punting?  Sure, if we can win with it.