Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 18, 2024, 10:18:30 pm

Who???

Started by Rzback, October 12, 2017, 02:53:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: depressed_fan on October 12, 2017, 03:24:20 pm
Art Briles

Every man who suggests Art Briles should get kicked in the nuts. That man doesn't deserve to coach again after what he did.

hogoffate

I would like Chip Kelly.  He's had experience recruiting in a place where there were not a lot of home grown recruits.  I believe with his offensive reputation he could make inroads into Texas.  He's been around long enough to know how important a good defense is.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: thebignasty on October 12, 2017, 08:57:07 pm
It sounds really good,  but Berty boy went to 3 straight Rose Bowls and was running a top 15-20 annually program at Wisconsin, a P5 school. No one, not even the Florida's, LSUs or Georgias of the world hire guys with the kind of resume Bert had.

It didn't work out, and seems like Bert benefited from a weak Big 10 and daddy Barry, but this narrative that he was from some shithole playing total cupcakes is nonsense.

As a news flash, we ain't going out and hiring Urban in December. Get ready for an up and comer or a coordinator- no matter who does the hiring.

Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, and Illinois were mediocre cupcakes.  That was 5 guaranteed wins for Bielema per season.  That doesn't even take into account that Ohio State and Michigan were down when he was at Wisconsin.

Bielema's Weak 10 Conference record is a farce.

SchrodingersHog

We probably would not be able to hire a P5 coach with a good record.  Why leave a secure job for Arkansas as it is right now?  Too much of a career risk.

Why hire a P5 coach with a poor record?  We would be just as well off with Bielema.

Two good choices from the next tier would be Norvell and Harsin.  We could pay them a base of twice what they are currently earning and load their contract with incentives.

pigskenG

Barry Switzer or Jimmy Johnson. We might find ourselves on recruiting probation eventually, but we would have a team that any kid would want to play for and would always play hard down to the wire, winning or losing.

David†

Barry is only 80. I bet we could get 3-4 good years from him.

colbs

Quote from: Spektre on October 12, 2017, 03:58:52 pm
Been saying this for awhile... Kliff Kingsbury from Texas Tech. Was OC at Texas A&M when they first came in and were lighting it up. Pay him and give him enough $ to put a monster defensive staff together to counter his high powered offense. They just lost their starting QB to the draft, and they're sitting at #24 at 4-1 with the only loss to OSU by 7 points. Already showed he can put points up, and is probably the closest thing we can get to a Petrino-type offensive mind.

Plus... brownie points for making Bielema choke on his words and having the balls to point it out.
Pretty sure he has a losing record as a HC. 

colbs

Brohm, Frost, Fleck, and Strong I think would be good options.  I really like Frank Wilson or Venables as well.  I wonder if Mullen would consider leaving MSU for Arkansas?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Rzback on October 12, 2017, 02:53:19 pm
Who besides Petrino, Gary Patterson, and Butch Davis could come in and take a program like ours and the caliber of recruits that will come to Arkansas and make us competitive?

You need to take Butch off of that list, but there are a lot of up and comers that could come in and breathe life into this program.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Ex-Trumpet

Keep Bielema and fire Long.  Bring in Barry Alvarez as AD...seemed to have worked really well at Wisky!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Rzback

I just want to win but more than that I don't want to be a conference doormat
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: factchecker on October 12, 2017, 03:30:09 pm
I don't think Venables would come here.

I truly believe he is waiting on Kansas State.

Same with Frost waiting on Nebraska.
he applied here TWICE man. He's from less than 2 hours from here, too.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

NashvilleHog

I find it strange that people discount Norvell as a HC candidate, but then jump all over Venables, who has never been a HC. 

I think for Arkansas to be successful, we have to have an offensive-minded HC and hope they can bring in a good DC.  We don't produce/recruit well enough on defense for that to be our path to success.  Petrino proved the formula for Arkansas. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on October 12, 2017, 08:38:40 pm
We need a black, Latino, or Asian coach. Mix it up. Try something different. I don't care about experience, just diversity.
You must be from Hollywood!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Rzback on October 12, 2017, 02:53:19 pm
What proven coach, that has built a winning program from the ground up with his own recruits, could come in and take a program like ours and the caliber of recruits that will come to Arkansas and make us competitive in the SEC and nationally as we were in the 60's and 70's? Otherwise, we need to join the ACC and let FL ST, Clemson, or Miami take our place in the SEC.

none.... *(you did say "proven")......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ChicoHog

Quote from: Spektre on October 12, 2017, 08:10:12 pm
Hence "give him enough $ to put a monster defensive staff together to counter his high powered offense."

Read the full statement next time.
I did.  You think a big name DC wants to coach at TT with the offense KK runs?  No way.  It would be the same at Arkansas.  There are many other coaches out there that are just as innovative as KK and will put emphasis on both sides of the ball.  I'm too lazy to look it up but I bet he is not much better than a .500 coach at TT and probably less than that in conference games.   His job was under question last year.   

David†

Quote from: NashvilleHog on October 13, 2017, 08:42:13 am
I find it strange that people discount Norvell as a HC candidate, but then jump all over Venables, who has never been a HC. 

I think for Arkansas to be successful, we have to have an offensive-minded HC and hope they can bring in a good DC.  We don't produce/recruit well enough on defense for that to be our path to success.  Petrino proved the formula for Arkansas. 

He proved his formula.  I'm positive it's not THE only one.

ChicoHog

Quote from: husker71 on October 12, 2017, 08:57:57 pm
Art Briles will never coach a P5 school again and I don't just mean HC.  With the Weinstein stuff dominating the news (he may go to Jail)  no school will touch him with a 10 foot pole.  Why would you??  The outrage would be overwhelming.
Briles recruited people of questionable character because he did not care what they did off the field.  Then he did exactly that once those "bad seeds" were at Baylor.  Terrible excuse for a coach.  I hope he never coaches anywhere again. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: NashvilleHog on October 13, 2017, 08:42:13 am

Venables is great recruiter.  He has been on championship staffs at Clemson and OU.  Norvell is a group of five coach.  Who would have more cachet in a player's living room?  Venables by far. 

code red

Need an SEC guy or we r screwed.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hawghiggs

Quote from: code red on October 13, 2017, 09:01:47 pm
Need an SEC guy or we r screwed.

Doesn't have to be a SEC guy. But the next coach better be able to build up a program and recruit the states of Louisiana and Texas. I like Mark Hudspeth for those very reasons.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 13, 2017, 09:08:08 pm
Doesn't have to be a SEC guy. But the next coach better be able to build up a program and recruit the states of Louisiana and Texas. I like Mark Hudspeth for those very reasons.
You bring him up all the time, but ignore everything people say about him. Also look at what he has done since the games he won were vacated because of cheating by a assistant. He has had back to back losing seasons and is sitting at 3-3 now this season. 

So the question is did he only win because cheating was happening?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Ironhawg

Don't know about Hudspeth.  He's only 26-34 at ULL.

TX HOG

UTSA coach huh?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 13, 2017, 09:40:08 pm
Don't know about Hudspeth.  He's only 26-34 at ULL.

That is because his first 4 years had games vacated because of cheating by an assistant.  He was 9-4 each year.  His last 2 years is what bothers me most about him. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 13, 2017, 09:23:08 pm
You bring him up all the time, but ignore everything people say about him. Also look at what he has done since the games he won were vacated because of cheating by a assistant. He has had back to back losing seasons and is sitting at 3-3 now this season. 

So the question is did he only win because cheating was happening?

I look at it differently. I see someone who has dealt with adversary and kept the program headed in the right direction. Its true that both are losing seasons. But they shouldn't be looked at in the same way.  2015 ULL went 4-8. In 2016 they went 6-7 with a bowl game loss. That means after sanctions against his program. He was still able to increase ULL winning percentage by 50% in just one year. That proves that he is an effective recruiter. Because everyone knows that the NCAA investigation had negative effects on at least the 2014 recruiting class.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: TX HOG on October 13, 2017, 09:46:03 pm
UTSA coach huh?

My only issue with Wilson is the fact that he really hasn't had time to build his own program. Is he just coaching someone else's recruiting?

NuttinItUp

The last two coaches have been "proven" hires.

Let's get a good, young up-and-comer this time, please.