Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 23, 2024, 06:28:09 am

Who???

Started by Rzback, October 12, 2017, 02:53:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzback

October 12, 2017, 02:53:19 pm Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:09:23 am by Rzback
What proven coach, that has built a winning program from the ground up with his own recruits, could come in and take a program like ours and the caliber of recruits that will come to Arkansas and make us competitive in the SEC and nationally as we were in the 60's and 70's? Otherwise, we need to join the ACC and let FL ST, Clemson, or Miami take our place in the SEC.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

factchecker

Brohm

Norvell

Fuentes

Maybe Chad Morris (SMU) or Philip Montgomery (Tulsa).

The question is not who could but rather who WOULD come here.

Arkansas is a top 25 job but the problem is that we compete against programs who are top 10 or higher.

All I know is that we can do better than what we have.  However, we should aim higher, much higher, than just that.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Rzback on October 12, 2017, 02:53:19 pm
Who besides Petrino, Gary Patterson, and Butch Davis could come in and take a program like ours and the caliber of recruits that will come to Arkansas and make us competitive?
For $1M/yr plus $500k/win I'll take a run at it.

I'm officially starting my campaign- golf2day for Head freaking football coach. I promise that I'll allow Hogville to choose my offensive style plus my coordinators. I'll also allow you to call my first play of the game and the second half. All handled via mmqb poll, of course.

I'm cheap, easy, and I'm down for what you want. I'm also married to a hot chick named Jen, since that seems to matter to some people.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

axharbor

at this point they could let the fans vote on each play, via an app, and run it that way.  There's an arena league team that does that.  Doubting we could be much worse than CBB and we would get a lot of extra fan involvement...  Haha

https://www.saltlakescreamingeagles.com/vote

Tusks

Go with an offensive coach and get some wins and then build a defense.  you can't start off building a defense and win.  I disagree with Tuberville on this one.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Rzback

Brohm might be a good choice
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

The_Iceman

October 12, 2017, 03:19:37 pm #6 Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:32:19 pm by The_Iceman
Names what could AND would:

Jeff Brohm.
Mike Norvell.
Brent Venables (if he brings a good OF with him.)

depressed_fan

factchecker

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 12, 2017, 03:19:37 pm
Names what could AND would:  Jeff Brohm. Mike Norvell. Brent Venables

I don't think Venables would come here.

I truly believe he is waiting on Kansas State.

Same with Frost waiting on Nebraska.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawghiggs

hoghearted

I thought rumor was Venables wanted this job at one time. Accurate? or just rumor mongering? Or he now has better options?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

ricepig

Quote from: golf2day on October 12, 2017, 02:59:01 pm

I'm officially starting my campaign- golf2day for Head freaking football coach. I promise that I'll allow Hogville to choose my offensive style plus my coordinators. I'll also allow you to call my first play of the game and the second half. All handled via mmqb poll, of course.

I'm cheap, easy, and I'm down for what you want. I'm also married to a hot chick named Jen, since that seems to matter to some people.

Pics, you know we decide who's hot, and who isn't.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2017, 03:37:03 pm
Pics, you know we decide who's hot, and who isn't.
Maybe they're already up in the place that cannot be named.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Spektre

Been saying this for awhile... Kliff Kingsbury from Texas Tech. Was OC at Texas A&M when they first came in and were lighting it up. Pay him and give him enough $ to put a monster defensive staff together to counter his high powered offense. They just lost their starting QB to the draft, and they're sitting at #24 at 4-1 with the only loss to OSU by 7 points. Already showed he can put points up, and is probably the closest thing we can get to a Petrino-type offensive mind.

Plus... brownie points for making Bielema choke on his words and having the balls to point it out.

Hog-Corleone

BUD KILMER dammit...  He has a lot of Texas ties.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: golf2day on October 12, 2017, 03:53:54 pm
Maybe they're already in the [edited].
If you were a member of the place you speak then you'd know not to speak it's name

lilRockNDubb

Who besides Petrino, Gary Patterson, and Butch Davis could come in and take a program like ours and the caliber of recruits that will come to Arkansas and make us competitive?

Pete Carroll
Bob Stoops
Urban Myer

Reality:   Chris Klieman

Wildhog

If we can't get Frost, I want Brohm or Campbell.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

swinemaster

Mike Leach

He's already done it TWICE!

From Tusk Till Dawn

presidenthog

Butch Davis is 66 and could not save this program. Not not but hell no to butch.

presidenthog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 12, 2017, 03:19:37 pm
Names what could AND would:

Jeff Brohm.
Mike Norvell.
Brent Venables (if he brings a good OF with him.)

He took over what fuente built. I do not want Him. I want someone who built it themselves. Not someone who maintained a winner.

hawgtime

Quote from: Spektre on October 12, 2017, 03:58:52 pm
Been saying this for awhile... Kliff Kingsbury from Texas Tech. Was OC at Texas A&M when they first came in and were lighting it up. Pay him and give him enough $ to put a monster defensive staff together to counter his high powered offense. They just lost their starting QB to the draft, and they're sitting at #24 at 4-1 with the only loss to OSU by 7 points. Already showed he can put points up, and is probably the closest thing we can get to a Petrino-type offensive mind.

Plus... brownie points for making Bielema choke on his words and having the balls to point it out.

I likey!

jmark

i think he's on to sumthung'
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

31to6

Quote from: factchecker on October 12, 2017, 03:30:09 pm

I truly believe he is waiting on K State.
He will have to wait until after Old Snyder dies. Because he wants young Snyder to follow him and he has a lot of power in the program.

NaturalStateReb

Gary "Peanut" Adams.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hogtimes

Quote from: hoghearted on October 12, 2017, 03:32:08 pm
I thought rumor was Venables wanted this job at one time. Accurate? or just rumor mongering? Or he now has better options?

Some body on this board said that.   NO WAY is a coach going to say he wants a particular job.

factchecker

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 12, 2017, 06:31:26 pm
Some body on this board said that.   NO WAY is a coach going to say he wants a particular job.

Correct.

The only time a coach talks about wanting a job or a dream job is when he is introduced as the new coach of a program.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 12, 2017, 06:31:26 pm

Venables wanted our job in 2012.

Towards the end of the following 2015 article is the following sentence.

"Venables says he turned down a chance to interview for a "good" Power Five job this year, and the last job he interviewed for was at Arkansas in 2012."

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/29/clemson-tigers-defensive-coordinator-brent-venables-has-been-perfect-fit

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: factchecker on October 12, 2017, 03:30:09 pm

I truly believe he is waiting on Kansas State.

Same with Frost waiting on Nebraska.

I presume Venables is either Swinney's replacement at Clemson if Swinney leaves for Alabama in the future, or Venables becomes OU's next Head Coach when Lincoln Riley flames out at OU.

Venables stated to the media after Clemson won the NC that he hopes to never leave Clemson.

Also, there is the football center aspect that a high-quality Coach will be considering as it pertains to which job to consider.  Both Clemson and OU have a new football center.

Clemson   142,000 square foot   $55 million

Here is a tour of Clemson's new football center.

Here is another video.

OU   132,000 square foot   $160 million

Here is a video about their new center.

Ironhawg

RebelliousHog

Mods. Please, Lord, combine all the "who do we hire " threads into one.  There's like 4 or 5 new ones a day. Apparently no one can read the threads past page one.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

LRRandy

you must also serve Frito pie at halftime instead of jelly sammiches or no deal.
This is fun, isn't it.

HR Piganstuff

Smashmouth2004

Chad Morris is the only logical choice. He spent time at Clemson where he coached their QB's and ran their offense. He has Texas ties and could mend the bad feelings that the Texas HS coaches have on Bielema. He would also bring the type of offense where we don't have to rely on huge OL for a successful running game. Arkansas has always been able to get skilled players but the behemoths that Bielema needs for his scheme hasn't worked.

I know for a fact that he's disenchanted at SMU because they refuse to upgrade their facilities. He's made SMU competitive again so just imagine what he could do at Ark!

ChicoHog

Quote from: Spektre on October 12, 2017, 03:58:52 pm

God no.  You know where they ranked in defense last year?  128!!  I don't want anyone who played or coached and even thought about coaching at Texas tech. 

1.  Venables-maybe come here
2.  Scott frost -maybe but UCF may open up the checkbook and NU will come calling.  We need Mike Reilly to upset Ohio st this weekend and win about 9 games so they don't fire him.
3.  Jeff Brohm-doubtful as he just took Purdue job
4.  Neal Brown-highly likely he'd take it
5.  Matt Campbell-maybe come here
6.  P.J. Fleck-very doubtful he'd come here
7.  Dave Doren-doubtful as he now has NC st rolling
8.  Dave Clausen-highly likely he would take job
9.  Norvell-definitely would take job
10.  Morris-maybe would take job

I'm sure there are more I am missing such as Charlie strong, Mike Leach and others mentioned on here. I am not in favor of either of those two. 

Spektre

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 12, 2017, 08:03:16 pm
God no.  You know where they ranked in defense last year?  128!!  I don't want anyone who played or coached and even thought about coaching at Texas tech. 

Hence "give him enough $ to put a monster defensive staff together to counter his high powered offense."

Read the full statement next time.

David†

Spektre

Quote from: David† on October 12, 2017, 08:23:21 pm
Bill Snyder

As great as the man is, he's not too far from needing a second assistant to wheel around some oxygen tanks for him. I'd prefer someone with the ability to stay long term.

David†

He's only 78. He could have us back in top 20 in 2-3 years max. I bet dude could coach until 85 anyway.

thebignasty

Rooster Hogburn

We need a black, Latino, or Asian coach. Mix it up. Try something different. I don't care about experience, just diversity.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Until Arkansas quits hiring like many women marry, we are gonna have trouble.  Many woman marry believing they can CHANGE their spouse.  In fact we hire dumber than that.  We hire not even knowing what a prospective applicant can and absolutely cannot do.  If he won at BFE, thats good for a huge salary and stupid buyout.  Once hired, someone asks what scheme does he prefer and the hiring party says, whats scheme?  The Guy writes nice letters so he must be good.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: 12247 on October 12, 2017, 08:47:07 pm
Until Arkansas quits hiring like many women marry, we are gonna have trouble.  Many woman marry believing they can CHANGE their spouse.  In fact we hire dumber than that.  We hire not even knowing what a prospective applicant can and absolutely cannot do.  If he won at BFE, thats good for a huge salary and stupid buyout.  Once hired, someone asks what scheme does he prefer and the hiring party says, whats scheme?  The Guy writes nice letters so he must be good.

Personally, I'm thankful that women have low standards for husbands.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

thebignasty

Quote from: 12247 on October 12, 2017, 08:47:07 pm

It sounds really good,  but Berty boy went to 3 straight Rose Bowls and was running a top 15-20 annually program at Wisconsin, a P5 school. No one, not even the Florida's, LSUs or Georgias of the world hire guys with the kind of resume Bert had.

It didn't work out, and seems like Bert benefited from a weak Big 10 and daddy Barry, but this narrative that he was from some shithole playing total cupcakes is nonsense.

As a news flash, we ain't going out and hiring Urban in December. Get ready for an up and comer or a coordinator- no matter who does the hiring.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on October 12, 2017, 08:38:40 pm
We need a black, Latino, or Asian coach. Mix it up. Try something different. I don't care about experience, just diversity.
PM me contact info. I have a position for you in my HR department. You can have your pick of the available offices:

husker71

Art Briles will never coach a P5 school again and I don't just mean HC.  With the Weinstein stuff dominating the news (he may go to Jail)  no school will touch him with a 10 foot pole.  Why would you??  The outrage would be overwhelming.

Athog

Well you can forget Petrino and Patterson. Butch you can get anytime.