Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Herbert

Started by draftkings33, October 12, 2017, 01:34:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: draftkings33 on October 12, 2017, 01:34:15 pm
I think this guy has been getting a pass for having natural freaks like JJ Watt who he had in Wisconsin.  This guy doesn't even believe in Bench Press and I know this for a fact.  It wouldn't be hard to figure out though by watching our players at the combine.  You can say all you want about how bench press isn't important, that is a bunch of bull especially for lineman.  Arkansas best years on offensive line has had all lineman with benches over 400 pounds(Burlsworth, Garrett, Andrews, Peters, etc...)

I am and have been an avid weight lifter. I have trained many kids for football and bball.
You are correct in he's not getting it done. We get pushed around and that is NOT RECRUITING!! When a linebacker has been in the program for 4 years and benches 225 a total of 7 times??? Our players don't look like they gain real size and muscle..Strength in the upper body is important but lower body squats, dead lifts and power cleans are still the best way to build strength needed for the inside lines. I like his attitude and wish some of our other coaches had his fire. I like him. Just don't see us developing.

hawgon

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on October 13, 2017, 07:27:57 am
I am and have been an avid weight lifter. I have trained many kids for football and bball.
You are correct in he's not getting it done. We get pushed around and that is NOT RECRUITING!! When a linebacker has been in the program for 4 years and benches 225 a total of 7 times??? Our players don't look like they gain real size and muscle..Strength in the upper body is important but lower body squats, dead lifts and power cleans are still the best way to build strength needed for the inside lines. I like his attitude and wish some of our other coaches had his fire. I like him. Just don't see us developing.

Do we seriously have a linebacker who can only do that?  I'm an old man and not big and I do a set of 225.  I can usually get five.

Been10Hog

Quote from: 26.2Hog on October 12, 2017, 05:15:11 pm
Don't forget All-American Steve Korte from back in the day. He benched 585.
That's not how they do it at the combine, though. They don't measure your maximum lift. Everyone benches 225 as many times as they can. And those who have done weight training know there is a difference in training for a max and training for reps or endurance. I don't think Korte would have matched Petrus's reps, almost 50 I think. It was different training. Korte was a beast! I wish we had 5 of him on the line now!

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 13, 2017, 07:16:16 am
You just need to shut up. We have to hate everybody on the staff.

I am quickly being dispelled of the notion that you can present any fact in any thread and have people say, "oh yeah?" "I didn't realize that, maybe my presumption was wrong" I have noticed that people read what ever fact is presented and then just go right along as if they had never seen it.  Herbert has his MSCC certification, folks can go here to read about how you get that https://www.cscca.org/certification/mscc.  He is not the problem with this team.

draftkings33

Quote from: twistitup on October 12, 2017, 03:37:04 pm
We don't look bulky....we look weak. Look at Aub and Bama players - that is a bulk and speed combo

Our kids don't look strong and fast... they don't play that way either
Exactly.  You ever see these guys with pads off?  Dan Skipper looked like a 40 year old who never touched a weight

draftkings33

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on October 13, 2017, 07:27:57 am
I'm with you man.  Dead on

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogfan58 on October 13, 2017, 05:55:24 am
He is the most over-rated coach on the staff. We look slow and our lines wear down by the 4Q. Watch the game Saturday and just compare how our guys look compared to Bama's....how fast their guys are compared to ours.

But he does make good freak video's.....
Watch the game Saturday? Are you kidding me? I do not enjoy watching embarrassing beatdowns.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

draftkings33

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 13, 2017, 07:03:57 am
Ben Herbert was named  Master Strength and Conditioning Coach (MSCC) by the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches association (CSCCa). This is the highest award in their profession.  He knows what he's doing. He is training the athletes in the manner that the head coach thinks will best benefit the scheme they want to run. The issue is they don't have a coherent scheme or system in place, but our issues are not Herbert's fault. He's a good Steength coach.
Then why are all of our athletes weak at the combine?

jkstock04

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 13, 2017, 08:37:29 am
I am quickly being dispelled of the notion that you can present any fact in any thread and have people say, "oh yeah?" "I didn't realize that, maybe my presumption was wrong" I have noticed that people read what ever fact is presented and then just go right along as if they had never seen it.  Herbert has his MSCC certification, folks can go here to read about how you get that https://www.cscca.org/certification/mscc.  He is not the problem with this team.
lol I hate to pile on but I read through that link and most of it came off as fluffy stuff. It's just a certificate that looks good on a resume. This is similar to Jeff Long and his "AD of the year" crap we constantly have to hear about. Go to a banquet, wear a suit and tie, and take some pictures for a magazine type of deal.

Basically to get this certificate the main thing is you have to be a strength coach for 12 years. I'm not saying any of this is something to sneeze at...being a coach in the D-1 college ranks for that long is a major accomplishment. But to act like this certificate is the end all be all of everything is a bit spinster like in my opinion. There are a lot of coaches that have been strength and conditioning coaches for 12 years.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

draftkings33

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 13, 2017, 08:59:38 am
lol I hate to pile on but I read through that link and most of it came off as fluffy stuff. It's just a certificate that looks good on a resume. This is similar to Jeff Long and his "AD of the year" crap we constantly have to hear about. Go to a banquet, wear a suit and tie, and take some pictures for a magazine type of deal.

Basically to get this certificate the main thing is you have to be a strength coach for 12 years. I'm not saying any of this is something to sneeze at...being a coach in the D-1 college ranks for that long is a major accomplishment. But to act like this certificate is the end all be all of everything is a bit spinster like in my opinion. There are a lot of coaches that have been strength and conditioning coaches for 12 years.
Yep.  Never assume anyone is great because they have a certification. 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: draftkings33 on October 13, 2017, 08:51:45 am
Then why are all of our athletes weak at the combine?

I don't know. That would be something you would have to look at on a case by case basis.  It depends on where they trained for the combine, how they trained and what position they are trying to get drafted for.   

JoeyCapital

Agreed. Dude might be great but that cert sure isnt what proves it.

"Once an individual has been a full-time, collegiate and/or professional strength & conditioning coach for a minimum of 12 years, he/she is eligible to become a Master Strength & Conditioning Coach (MSCC).

In addition, individuals must first meet the following criteria:

Active CSCCa member
    Be an active member of the Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches association (CSCCa).
    Strength & Conditioning Coach Certified (SCCC)
    Be Strength & Conditioning Coach Certified (SCCC) by the Collegiate Strength & Conditioning Coaches association (CSCCa).
    12-Year Valid Employment History
    Twelve years of valid employment history as a full-time strength and conditioning coach on the collegiate and/or professional-level* must be logged with your account credentials. The employer contact authorization form must be submitted to the national office to allow validation of work history.

*Note: Years in which an individual may have served in a dual role capacity as a part-time strength & conditioning coach while simultaneously serving in another capacity (e.g. sport coach, athletic trainer, physical therapist, personal trainer, teacher/researcher, etc.), will not be counted towards the 12 year requirement, nor will years in which an individual served as an intern, resident, graduate assistant, practicum student, or private trainer etc.

Application fee.
    Payment of a one-time MSCC application fee of $160.00.
    Conference, dinner, and ceremony attendance
    Finally, all MSCC candidates must be in attendance at the National Conference and MSCC Dinner and Ceremony to receive this award."

So in order to obtain that cert you have to 1) be a member of their organization (pay them fees), 2) have another cert from their organization (pay them fees), 3) be a strength coach for at least 12 years (all while being a member of their organization, I imagine. Pay them fees), 4) pay an application fee, lol, 5) attend a dinner and a conference (lol, pay them fees).

Sure looks like they are finding the cream of the crop to give this award to. Everything about it is geared toward finding the strength coach that is doing the best job (at paying them fees).
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

razorbackfaninar

You have to have been a collegiate or professional strength coach for 12 consecutive years. I'm not saying it makes him a doctor, but I think it makes him more qualified than  "I lift down at the 10 fitness quite a bit and I think Herbert is an idiot"      And before you get the MSCC you have to get the initial certification:

The SCCC certification is the "gold standard" of strength and conditioning certifications with its 3-pronged certification program, which includes a 640-hour practicum/internship program; a comprehensive science-based written certification exam; as well as a practical exam which is conducted before a panel of Master Strength & Conditioning Coaches holding the SCCC certification with a minimum of 12 years full-time experience in the field of collegiate and/or professional-level Strength and Conditioning coaching.

This program is accredited by the NCAA . So again, I don't care one way or the other.  Herbert doesn't pay my bills, and I don't know him nor does he need me to defend him, I am just letting folks know that if they want to go on and on about how bad a strength coach Herbert is they can, but they are doing so out of ignorance.   He knows what he is doing, he's accomplished in his profession and has been recognized by his peers in the field as such

jrulz83

Why hasn't anybody called Herbert a carpetbagger yet?

You let me down Hogville, you let me down.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

draftkings33

Herbert's a freakin carpetbagger!

hogsfan31

Quote from: twistitup on October 12, 2017, 03:37:04 pm
We don't look bulky....we look weak. Look at Aub and Bama players - that is a bulk and speed combo

Our kids don't look strong and fast... they don't play that way either

Yes but you have to have the Joes that can carry the bulk and the speed. A lot of athletes can't bulk up and still carry the speed needed to play in the SEC.

Bama has it because Bama is getting the top rated recruits from all over the country every year that are freaks of nature that can bulk up and still carry the speed to play in the SEC. They're also recruiting guys that can come in and contribute right away if needed, but Bama is so deep that even those guys who could start at Arkansas day 1 and be a difference maker are redshirting for them and physically getting better.

We aren't getting these freaks of nature. We are getting the Joes that are undersized and too small to play in the SEC right away, the guys who aren't as physically gifted and have to spend a year or two in the weight room to get to the size needed, they guys who aren't as fast to begin with and then you worry about bulking them up and them being able to keep their speed. Agim may be the only one we have had in a really long time that hasn't had to worry about this.

twistitup

Quote from: hogsfan31 on October 13, 2017, 12:25:16 pm
Yes but you have to have the Joes that can carry the bulk and the speed. A lot of athletes can't bulk up and still carry the speed needed to play in the SEC.

Bama has it because Bama is getting the top rated recruits from all over the country every year that are freaks of nature that can bulk up and still carry the speed to play in the SEC. They're also recruiting guys that can come in and contribute right away if needed, but Bama is so deep that even those guys who could start at Arkansas day 1 and be a difference maker are redshirting for them and physically getting better.

We aren't getting these freaks of nature. We are getting the Joes that are undersized and too small to play in the SEC right away, the guys who aren't as physically gifted and have to spend a year or two in the weight room to get to the size needed, they guys who aren't as fast to begin with and then you worry about bulking them up and them being able to keep their speed. Agim may be the only one we have had in a really long time that hasn't had to worry about this.

If that is who we are getting, it's time to develop that TOP NOTCH redshirt program that CBB promised upon arrival.

Instead - we start kids fresh out of H.S.

Year 5, no excuses
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogsfan31

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 12:27:38 pm
If that is who we are getting, it's time to develop that TOP NOTCH redshirt program that CBB promised upon arrival.

Instead - we start kids fresh out of H.S.

Year 5, no excuses

I agree with you

There are guys starting on our Oline that have no business starting when there are other guys sitting on the bench that have been in our weight program and were highly rated recruits coming out of high school. I'm not naming any players by name because we all know who I am talking about, and I am not throwing any players under the bus.

But what I think has happened is we were running one type of offense and that was our identity and those highly rated lineman we recruited out of highschool that have been sitting the bench were recruited for that specific ground and pound. Those were the types of lineman needed to be successful at that. We have lost that identity and have moved away from that and are needing different types of lineman that are lighter and faster and those highly rated recruits aren't fit for that style. So they are sitting the bench because they haven't been "developed" the way that is needed. Well no darn Sherlock.

I'd bet my paycheck that if one of these guys had went to Bama, he'd be ready to play. If not he'd already have been processed and he'd be at another smaller school probably already playing. We are wasting talent on the bench because we are all of a sudden confused about which way our offensive identity is going. If we are needing different lineman than what we've got on our bench and you're moving away from the type of offense you recruited them for, than let them go where they can play instead of wasting their talent on the bench and we can free up a scholarship to get some talented lineman in here that can be "developed" to what they want and that can help us.

Year 5 folks!

smb

Ben Herbert was named  Master Strength and Conditioning Coach (MSCC) by the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches association (CSCCa). This is the highest award in their profession.  He knows what he's doing. He is training the athletes in the manner that the head coach thinks will best benefit the scheme they want to run. The issue is they don't have a coherent scheme or system in place, but our issues are not Herbert's fault. He's a good Steength coach.
Great so the real problem is coaching!
GeorgiaHOG

El Puerco Grande

Deuce Gruden, son of Jon, is a Strength and Conditioning coach. Just sayin'

How 'bout them hogs?

clutch

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 12, 2017, 04:44:04 pm
I've been harping on this for years.  Just go look at the rosters in the SEC.  We have so many double chins. The double chin to adam's apple ration on the Arkansas roster is like 4:1.  LSU's ratio is about 1:8. Alabama's ratio is about 1:9

Our guys are mostly smooth muscled and low fast twitch.  There's only 10-15 players on the roster that look like they belong on a SEC squad.

Most research points to not being able to change muscle fiber types. That is primarily genetic. You can enhance the fast twitch fibers that you have, but it doesn't seem that you can convert slow twitch to fast twitch.

So, in order to get more fast-twitch dominant athletes, we have to do that through recruiting.

clutch

Quote from: hawgon on October 13, 2017, 06:51:04 am
Speed needs to be recruited.  But the other side of that is that you can recruit speed and then screw it up and slow it down with piss poor training concentrating on building strength with slow twitch muscles instead of fast twitch ones.

I don't know enough about our training methods to say what is being done, I'm merely making the point that it is entirely possible to slow guys down by converting some of their fast twitch muscles to slow twitch muscles.

Very little research points to them being able to be converted. The fast twitches may not be getting worked, which would lead to them burning out faster, but I doubt our fast twitch fibers have been converted to slow twitch ones.

Kevin

really disappointed in what he has done. thought this guy was really going to help the program
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: smb on October 13, 2017, 12:59:55 pm
Great so the real problem is coaching!

I think that the problem is that we are not focused on one specific identity and as such we are trying to be too many different things. I think that the athletes are being trained for the type of offense that the HC wants to run and they may either be better suited to other offenses, or are being trained for a type of offense we aren't actually running, but that we think we should be running. So yes, coaching I think is the issue.   

Big Daddy

Maybe it's the product he's been given to work with.

Jim Harris

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 12, 2017, 04:44:04 pm
I've been harping on this for years.  Just go look at the rosters in the SEC.  We have so many double chins. The double chin to adam's apple ration on the Arkansas roster is like 4:1.  LSU's ratio is about 1:8. Alabama's ratio is about 1:9

Our guys are mostly smooth muscled and low fast twitch.  There's only 10-15 players on the roster that look like they belong on a SEC squad.

strangely enough, that almost coincides with the number of players who had offers from Alabama (16).
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hawgon on October 13, 2017, 07:57:12 am
Do we seriously have a linebacker who can only do that?  I'm an old man and not big and I do a set of 225.  I can usually get five.

Brooks Ellis did that at the combine.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Big Daddy on October 13, 2017, 03:58:28 pm
Maybe it's the product he's been given to work with.

NOPE...You can't blame him for speed but our lineman not being strong is on him. You can say what you want. Our players lack strength I don't care what kind of award he's been given. Size and strength are developed and any 6 ft 5 kid can do that if he is dedicated and works hard enough.

AlmaHog2011

October 13, 2017, 04:19:28 pm #78 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:44:15 pm by AlmaHog2011
nnm

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on October 13, 2017, 04:13:09 pm
NOPE...You can't blame him for speed but our lineman not being strong is on him. You can say what you want. Our players lack strength I don't care what kind of award he's been given. Size and strength are developed and any 6 ft 5 kid can do that if he is dedicated and works hard enough.

What I am trying to tell you is that he knows what he is doing and how to train them.  I don't know how he is being asked to train them but I am assuming that he is being asked to train them for a specific purpose and that it is not translating to success on the field.   

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on October 13, 2017, 04:10:33 pm
Brooks Ellis did that at the combine.

Brooks Ellis did 18 reps on the bench press at the combine

al_pigcino

Needs more badger milk.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 13, 2017, 04:29:06 pm
Brooks Ellis did 18 reps on the bench press at the combine

Yes I was wrong..I am sorry! I don't know how I got that wrong but I did. I hate when people do this and I am dead wrong.
Brooks did 18 reps. Which is around average for linebackers in that draft.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 13, 2017, 04:24:08 pm
What I am trying to tell you is that he knows what he is doing and how to train them.  I don't know how he is being asked to train them but I am assuming that he is being asked to train them for a specific purpose and that it is not translating to success on the field.   

OK that could be

Porkchop#1

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 12, 2017, 04:32:42 pm
Dre Greenlaw looks like a specimen.
I'm just so glad our top notch staff decided at the 11th hour to finally recruit Dre.

greasy_corner

I remember the SN or SI article from a few years ago spinning a positive light on him and CBB.  Too lazy to look it up and link it, but for some reason I remember the story of him putting a bag of Doritos into a potted plant at the BAC.  The plant dies, yada, yada. This was meant to serve as a lesson...if you don't take care of your body, it won't take care of you.

A couple of weeks before the season started this year, I ran across a tweet/instagram from one of the receivers.  They (the receivers) were in a meeting.  There were several boxes of Popeyes in front of them.  Made me think of the Doritos story.   

jkstock04

Quote from: greasy_corner on October 13, 2017, 09:49:02 pm
I remember the SN or SI article from a few years ago spinning a positive light on him and CBB.  Too lazy to look it up and link it, but for some reason I remember the story of him putting a bag of Doritos into a potted plant at the BAC.  The plant dies, yada, yada. This was meant to serve as a lesson...if you don't take care of your body, it won't take care of you.

A couple of weeks before the season started this year, I ran across a tweet/instagram from one of the receivers.  They (the receivers) were in a meeting.  There were several boxes of Popeyes in front of them.  Made me think of the Doritos story.   
I remember the plant story too. I was thinking about that reading through this thread. I remember Bielema actually telling the story..can't remember if it was a live interview or a story I read. I remember Bielema saying it was so nasty and dying they would have to throw it away from the stench of it lol. Was supposedly a great example to show the players to eat healthy and stay on the meal plans.

Hilarious to consider all that and then they are eating Popeyes fried chicken.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

AirWarren

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 13, 2017, 08:37:29 am

Ok.

I know several doctors in my profession. Lord knows, I don't have to list what they go through to get their doctorate. However, doesn't mean I would trust them even to treat my dog.

RebelliousHog

If that is true, why do our lines get blown off the ball? This has not always been the case. We have had lines in the past who could hold their on.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 12, 2017, 09:57:34 pm

Have you ever been a strength coach?
I may as well throw in my .02. I have a PhD in kinesiology and a CSCS. I've also benched more than twice my bodyweight and hit 65 reps with 225 so I likely have more knowledge on this subject, both academic and practical, than anyone on the board.

Bench is an extremely overrated exercise. Not that it doesn't have its place (I prefer different variations rather than bench itself) but the emphasis that people put on it is ridiculous.  The fact that this is even a topic in this thread is evidence of that.

Personally, I'd be more interested in a player's incline or close grip but ultimately, once they hit a certain level of strength relative to their bodyweight, the training focus would need to shift for a few reasons.  The risk:benefit ratio becomes unfavorable and time/energy can be better used in other ways. Top end strength should not be the main goal of training anyway.

To get to the point of the thread, very few people here have the expertise to assess Herbert's performance and those who do likely don't have the necessary information.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

AirWarren

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on October 14, 2017, 07:54:52 pm
I may as well throw in my .02. I have a PhD in kinesiology and a CSCS. I've also benched more than twice my bodyweight and hit 65 reps with 225 so I likely have more knowledge on this subject, both academic and practical, than anyone on the board.

Bench is an extremely overrated exercise. Not that it doesn't have its place (I prefer different variations rather than bench itself) but the emphasis that people put on it is ridiculous.  The fact that this is even a topic in this thread is evidence of that.

Personally, I'd be more interested in a player's incline or close grip but ultimately, once they hit a certain level of strength relative to their bodyweight, the training focus would need to shift for a few reasons.  The risk:benefit ratio becomes unfavorable and time/energy can be better used in other ways. Top end strength should not be the main goal of training anyway.

To get to the point of the thread, very few people here have the expertise to assess Herbert's performance and those who do likely don't have the necessary information.

2-4
0-3

That's all I need to know. His program sucks.

buldozer

Herbert will be gone when CBB is fired.... soon I hope

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: AP85 on October 14, 2017, 09:31:07 pm
2-4
0-3

That's all I need to know. His program sucks.
If you choose to believe that, feel free. Honestly, I'm not defending him because I lack the necessary information about his training methods.

However, what I can say is that you could have the best strength coach in the world but it's still up to the coaches to recruit the athletes and develop sport specific skills. For instance, it doesn't matter how strong or powerful a lineman is if he stands straight up at the snap of the ball.  That's not on the S&C coach.

Should BB be replaced? I think so.  That doesn't necessarily mean that Herbert should be, as well.

Kenny Hawgins

October 14, 2017, 10:38:14 pm #93 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:52:58 am by Kenny Hawgins
Quote from: hawgon on October 13, 2017, 06:51:04 am
Speed needs to be recruited.  But the other side of that is that you can recruit speed and then screw it up and slow it down with piss poor training concentrating on building strength with slow twitch muscles instead of fast twitch ones.

I don't know enough about our training methods to say what is being done, I'm merely making the point that it is entirely possible to slow guys down by converting some of their fast twitch muscles to slow twitch muscles.
There are multiple things wrong here. 

You don't slow athletes down by building strength.  If I have a guy that weighs 180 and squats 250 and in a year, he's squatting 400 while weighing about the same, he'll be able to move quicker. Google the force-velocity curve.

Also, there isn't a consensus on change from type ii to i but if it were possible, it would take years of very high volume endurance training to see conversion at all.  Much of the issues that you're discussing have as much to do with training the nervous system and simple coaching on the field.

HogNiner12

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on October 14, 2017, 10:14:10 pm

Should BB be replaced? I think so.  That doesn't necessarily mean that Herbert should be, as well.

You think so? Most definitely should be!

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on October 14, 2017, 07:54:52 pm

I call bulldarn on 65 at 225. NFL combine record is 51.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: IronMountainHog on October 14, 2017, 10:53:25 pm
I call bulldarn on 65 at 225. NFL combine record is 51.
First, the 225 rep test is a dumb test. It lacks validity because it isn't relevant. 

Second, it is true.  It's all about training adaptations; I regularly trained in rep ranges that forced my body into a higher degree of effectiveness at acid buffering (thus better muscular endurance). Also, I don't have the obstacle of overly long arms that prospective NFL players do.

LZH

Quote from: devildoghawg on October 12, 2017, 09:43:45 pm
That's pathetic.  I see 250lbs recreation lifters hitting this number all the time.  Our linemen should be in the 500lbs club or damn near it and taking 225 for 20 reps.

Truth. Hell, what was the CB we had years ago that benched 400lbs? Chris Houston? I said a long time ago that St. Herbert was waaaay overrated and got ripped for it.

Hawgphish

I am certainly not in the know to Division 1 football strength and conditioning but I do think it is odd that our athletes arms look much smaller and less defined than other teams.  And what do QBs do?  Cole Kelley looks like he has never seen any S/C program.  I still like his fire though.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: LZH on October 15, 2017, 08:05:50 am
Truth. Hell, what was the CB we had years ago that benched 400lbs? Chris Houston? I said a long time ago that St. Herbert was waaaay overrated and got ripped for it.
Notice that no one with actual knowledge of players' testing numbers has said anything in this thread so don't take speculation as gospel.  It's unlikely that this is true given the lower body numbers we've seen players put up (you wouldn't expect to see them squatting over 600 but only bench 300).