Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Long's silence speaking loudly??

Started by 007 License To Squeal, October 12, 2017, 11:57:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

007 License To Squeal

I would have expected to hear Long release some kind of statement of support for BB considering the hits coach is taking........but....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hoghearted

Not sure what he could say at this point that wouldn't be seen as hollow talking points.

100% support? yeah, sure. Right up to the day he's fired

Concerns? Would not provide stability, effects on recruiting?

He's best to stay mum.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 12, 2017, 11:57:27 am
I would have expected to hear Long release some kind of statement of support for BB considering the hits coach is taking........but....
Sometimes silence does indeed speak volumes. Other times it's exactly that-silence. I wouldn't necessarily assume or read anything into the current "no comment" mode of Long.

Piggfoot

What would Long say to satisfy Hogville? It's already been reported the buyout amount which set people off was erroneous. Yet people are still screaming for blood and the season is not over.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 12, 2017, 02:00:18 pm
What would Long say to satisfy Hogville? It's already been reported the buyout amount which set people off was erroneous. Yet people are still screaming for blood and the season is not over.
Yep, this subject is going to be one of many HV posts that circles in a continuous loop.

razorhead94

Everyone keeps asking this but no way is Long going to come out and publicly say anything unless asked directly.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

elksnort

Might not want to say anything before being skull drug by Alabama.

007 License To Squeal

Satisfy Hogville?  Hogville isn't creating all this extremely negative media attention we're now seeing.  Bellyma is taking some hits...and I would think his boss might have something to say.

Grizzlyfan

When a coach is getting his brains kicked in and the AD comes out with a statement of support, what is the first thing people say?  "Kiss of death"

Better to just stay quiet and let the games play out.  While formulating your worst case scenario plan.

King Kong

No. If Jeff Long is making public statements everytime Hogville is pissed he is doing his job wrong

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: King Kong on October 12, 2017, 02:16:19 pm
No. If Jeff Long is making public statements everytime Hogville is pissed he is doing his job wrong

It isn't just Hogville anymore...

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

GuvHog

Quote from: razorhead94 on October 12, 2017, 02:11:28 pm
Everyone keeps asking this but no way is Long going to come out and publicly say anything unless asked directly.

Exactly. When one is taking heat, it's best to lay low and keep quiet.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hoglady

Let's not pretend like Hogville is it's own world / separate from the rest of the fans.

I don't know anyone who has any faith left in Bielema and none of them are on Hogville.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hawgon

There isn't much he can say right now that won't make things worse.  His Twitter is a bloodbath if he so much as makes a peep.

The Hawg Marshal

There is really nothing he can say at this time to make anything better. Quiet is good for him.

razorbackfaninar

One of the things I have liked about Long is that he doesn't say more than necessary.  Like him or not he is a pretty savvy guy.  He could have easily gone around on a media tour explaining about reality of the buyout when the heat was on him for it.  I respect that he wisely let it play out, didn't say anything and now some of his biggest detractors look a little silly for foaming at the mouth about a buyout that they didn't understand.

hawg1221

Quote from: hoglady on October 12, 2017, 02:19:16 pm
Let's not pretend like Hogville is it's own world / separate from the rest of the fans.

I don't know anyone who has any faith left in Bielema and none of them are on Hogville.

There's a lot of hog fans that don't go on hogville.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 12, 2017, 02:27:08 pm
One of the things I have liked about Long is that he doesn't say more than necessary.  Like him or not he is a pretty savvy guy.  He could have easily gone around on a media tour explaining about reality of the buyout when the heat was on him for it.  I respect that he wisely let it play out, didn't say anything and now some of his biggest detractors look a little silly for foaming at the mouth about a buyout that they didn't understand.

Now he just has to face the criticism of his golden boy's performance on the field.

Hogeration

He will say that he will sit down with coach at the end of the year and discuss the program like they do after every season. Until then, he has full confidence in the job coach B is doing and that nobody wants to win as much as the coaching staff.

It's what they all say no matter if they have a coach lined up for replacement or not.

Dropkick

Not so sure about this...................

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hoghearted on October 12, 2017, 12:00:30 pm
Not sure what he could say at this point that wouldn't be seen as hollow talking points.

100% support? yeah, sure. Right up to the day he's fired

Concerns? Would not provide stability, effects on recruiting?

He's best to stay mum.

Right up to the day that Bret is fired he'll have unwavering support from Long.

Long wants nothing but success for our student athletes. Even when he is in the meeting, firing Bret,he will still be doing it with the absolute desire of success for our student athletes. It's not about the coach and his success.
This is my non-signature signature.

grayhawg

Anyone hear Bo say today Long has interest in two schools as AD?

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Professor Pig

Yes, he's busy working on his CV and contacting potential suitors...

East Clintwood

Quote from: grayhawg on October 12, 2017, 07:41:00 pm

He shouldn't limit himself. 

Show interest in every school.  Active interest.

Beg.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: grayhawg on October 12, 2017, 07:41:00 pm

We can only hope.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

ur

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 12, 2017, 08:13:44 pm

He shouldn't limit himself. 

Show interest in every school.  Active interest.

Beg.
+1.    Since he reads HV, Which schools have an opening? I know Nebraska

TexArkHogFan

If it's Nebraska, better buy a snow shovel.  I spent three years in Omaha while in the Navy, coldest I've ever been in my life.  First snowfall usually hits around October and it don't melt until April.  Had one 20 day stretch where the high was zero and it got to 20 below at night.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

rljjr

Not a lot he can say. What I know is that there are a bunch of seniors and some others who are playing their last season as Hogs -- or last season of football for the rest of their lives. I'm supporting those guys. Whatever happens to everybody else is big business, but for the players it's personal.