Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Coach...Old School or New School ?

Started by twistitup, October 12, 2017, 03:29:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you rather have an older coach w experience or young 'up and comer'?

Old School - experienced / traditional
New School- younger, experimental / innovative
FP

parallaxpig

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 13, 2017, 10:09:41 am
Let's run the Wing-T if we can win with it. If we need to run a system where we never have a running back, let's do it if we can win with it.  PA's system of rarely punting?  Sure, if we can win with it.

If you watched the real sports episode then u saw there is a national moneyball/analytic guy who has run the numbers for NFL. He says u should go for it on certain situations after passing your own forty.  So know I'm not saying run PA model exactly because some does not apply.   
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 12, 2017, 04:50:00 pm
At the time Petrino was fired I explained that we were ahead of the curve in the SEC with him and going back to old school was idiotic.  Didn't matter we went back while others moved ahead, now it will be very hard to get that edge again.  Who we gonna hire that is better than what several SEC schools are doing now? 

I just don't know who it is or what it is but I hope we get IT!

We weren't ahead of the curve from a system standpoint.  We had a great teacher of a pro style offense who knew where to attack most opposing defenses based on what the D was doing. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

redleg

New school, as long as Arkansas still has a solid ground game ... but more importantly, the new school coach must emphasize great defense!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 13, 2017, 10:34:10 am
We weren't ahead of the curve from a system standpoint.  We had a great teacher of a pro style offense who knew where to attack most opposing defenses based on what the D was doing.

We were very much ahead of the curve in the SEC, whether it's was all scheme or partly teacher my point still stands. 

logic

When First hired at Arkansas Frank Broyles was 34, Lew Holtz and Ken Hatfield already proven to be outstanding head coaches were 40 and 41.   I would be very happy with any age from low 30s to mid 40s. Established head coaches are hard to come by.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: logic on October 13, 2017, 11:00:05 am
When First hired at Arkansas Frank Broyles was 34, Lew Holtz and Ken Hatfield already proven to be outstanding head coaches were 40 and 41.   I would be very happy with any age from low 30s to mid 40s. Established head coaches are hard to come by.

Bielema was early 40s. Nutt was 40.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

twistitup

Then you have a guy like Leach - older & experienced - but still very experimental / open minded in his approach to winning

I know, I know...he may not be a good fit - but still intriguing. He is another one that has done MORE w LESS in the Pacific NW
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

JaketheSnake

Quote from: parallaxpig on October 13, 2017, 10:29:24 am
If you watched the real sports episode then u saw there is a national moneyball/analytic guy who has run the numbers for NFL. He says u should go for it on certain situations after passing your own forty.  So know I'm not saying run PA model exactly because some does not apply.   
I'm good with that type of approach.  That is why CBB quit with the fake punts.  He said he talked to someone with the moneyball approach and they said fake punts are not worth the risk of giving the opponent good field position.