Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The buyout smokescreen - AKA the sour grapes thread

Started by The OTR, October 12, 2017, 10:34:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: golf2day on October 12, 2017, 07:17:14 pm
I’m sure that’s the case. Good job, Sherlock.

Sherlock...lol

Man you got me good. Very impressive. 

a0ashle

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 12, 2017, 07:16:29 pm
I find it entertaining that no one has considered that Long may not have comprehended the wording of the contract and may have called the University attorneys this morning asking WTH? Perhaps the real magician is the attorney that drew up the contract. Imagine his amusement through all his.

Is there a hall of shame for posts like this?

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: trippigs on October 12, 2017, 07:19:29 pm
Don't think for a minute that Jeff Long doesn't know the detailed financial terms of Coach's contract. He hasn't fooled anyone....he has just been quiet. The man is a financial wizard.

Financial wizard... now that is humorous. Just curious. Have you ever actually spoken to Long?

Dark Helmet Hog

Martygit

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 12, 2017, 07:16:29 pm
I find it entertaining that no one has considered that Long may not have comprehended the wording of the contract and may have called the University attorneys this morning asking WTH? Perhaps the real magician is the attorney that drew up the contract. Imagine his amusement through all his.

You really don't know how the world of high level athletics/business works do you?
RIP OTR, REV

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: MartinGit on October 12, 2017, 07:24:23 pm
You really don't know how the world of high level athletics/business works do you?

Enlighten me o wise and pompous one.

Martygit

RIP OTR, REV

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: MartinGit on October 12, 2017, 07:27:31 pm
Nah, I rather you continue to wallow in your ignorance

That's what I thought. Thanks for the lesson.

lighthearted thread and the pissy posters come out... geez

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 12, 2017, 12:47:31 pm
The Carpetbagger has played us all for fools and in the end we PAY while he can just ride away.

Delt, I'm curious, man. You ever get into any of those Civil War battle reenactments?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

As most on here believe, I ain't too smart but i got another take on this.  Been in business for years and have asked my attorney to write up a few agreements for me over the years.  I would rattle off the terms and arrangements I wanted the agreement to say and then move on and a few days later, I would get a 10 to 15 page agreement that talked about laws I never knew or cared about, with ifs and where as's all over the place and in the end, I would have to ask if the 8 or 10 things I needed the agreement to say was actually in the document. 

I have watched Jeff Long work his so called magic and what I have seen hasn't impressed me.  I believe Jeff was caught napping on this like most others was.  Maybe Bret too.  This document was likely some attorney's version of what they believed Long wanted written up.  Jeff is a man who would not stand around and allow his IQ to be questioned for the past 2 years about something he knew was incorrect.  He would have had to blurt out that no, indeed, that was not what the buyout actually was.  That he wasn't that stupid.  That, in effect, it paid down every month.

I believe Jeff Longs thoughts when this was discovered:  No darn, only 5.9 Million
Brets thoughts:  Damn, I actually have to go to work.  Thought I had it made.

RazorbackToTheFuture

Fact is Long still made bad hires repeatedly.  I get the excitement that it's possible for bert to be gone earlier than we thought but I don't see how it totally pardons el jeffie.

ur

Quote from: trippigs on October 12, 2017, 07:19:29 pm
Don't think for a minute that Jeff Long doesn't know the detailed financial terms of Coach's contract. He hasn't fooled anyone....he has just been quiet. The man is a financial wizard.
I want a great coach hiring wizard for an AD. That's all an AD has to do. Everything else takes care of itself after that. Outfoxing a bad coach in a contract is nothing for an AD to brag about. Like being the tallest midget.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: 12247 on October 12, 2017, 07:38:37 pm
As most on here believe, I ain't too smart but i got another take on this.  Been in business for years and have asked my attorney to write up a few agreements for me over the years.  I would rattle off the terms and arrangements I wanted the agreement to say and then move on and a few days later, I would get a 10 to 15 page agreement that talked about laws I never knew or cared about, with ifs and where as's all over the place and in the end, I would have to ask if the 8 or 10 things I needed the agreement to say was actually in the document. 

I have watched Jeff Long work his so called magic and what I have seen hasn't impressed me.  I believe Jeff was caught napping on this like most others was.  Maybe Bret too.  This document was likely some attorney's version of what they believed Long wanted written up.  Jeff is a man who would not stand around and allow his IQ to be questioned for the past 2 years about something he knew was incorrect.  He would have had to blurt out that no, indeed, that was not what the buyout actually was.  That he wasn't that stupid.  That, in effect, it paid down every month.

I believe Jeff Longs thoughts when this was discovered:  No darn, only 5.9 Million

The truth is stranger than fiction... or so it is said.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: 12247 on October 12, 2017, 07:38:37 pm

Hard to imagine isn't it?

rhog1

The only bad hire he made was JLS. Bret didn't work out here but he was a huge get when we hired him.

damgoodestuffyhog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 12, 2017, 11:16:20 am
Let me put this a way you boys can understand....pains me to have to spell...

Sad really that more of you haven't seen this before today. It's funny in some ways too..but mostly just really sad....and really funny.

I only know you from this thread and am sure you are really important and connected and smart and helping us simple folk all out a whole bunch and what not. But.... maybe try just a little bit less gravy on the persona. Are you here because you are one of us or because you hate us, because I honestly can't tell.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: damgoodestuffyhog on October 12, 2017, 07:57:12 pm
I only know you from this thread and am sure you are really important and connected and smart and helping us simple folk all out a whole bunch and what not. But.... maybe try just a little bit less gravy on the persona. Are you here because you are one of us or because you hate us, because I honestly can't tell.

PHJ is good people. Brings a lot of insights here and is very matter of fact.

hawgon

I think Jeff was content to let people think the buyout was $15.4 million when it fit the narrative that it was too expensive to fire Bert.  The heat would have been hotter even going back to last year but for the belief that the buyout was unmanageable.  But, once it became clear that Bert is tanking this year and now along looks like a dufus for a $15.4 million buyout the wanted to get the record straight.

I'll also mention that if Long is looking for other jobs, it wouldn't do to have schools refuse to return his agent's call because they think he is an idiot for that allegedly ridiculous buyout.

LZH

damgoodestuffyhog

October 12, 2017, 08:03:41 pm #120 Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:22:21 pm by damgoodestuffyhog
Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 12, 2017, 07:59:21 pm
PHJ is good people. Brings a lot of insights here and is very matter of fact.

Like I said don't know him and was hesitant to post the comment because I could be overly sensitive or reading it wrong. I really dislike when those in the know post in this style because it is obviously not us vs you. If you have good knowledge just share it.

Further hammering home the stigma that we are less smart and the north versus south crap is not good for our fan base long term, even if it is presumably a persona.

Why do I get the feeling he is reading through my post history.... right now!

Dark Helmet Hog

bondhue

Meanwhile after all the smart ass comments and not so veiled threats/pulled posts, the football program sinks into oblivion.

I won't be putting dead bolts on my door anytime soon.  I also won't be worrying about any fascist organization in Alabama that tries to stamp out free speech.  I also hope the mods caught the implication that anonymity on this board for those that want it has been breached, with potentially dangerous implications for sports fans.

That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

PonderinHog

There a five black suburbans outside my house and a drone overhead.  Should I be worried ???

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 12, 2017, 08:11:48 pm
There a five black suburbans outside my house and a drone overhead.  Should I be worried ???

Is it a RevDrone? If so, I'd be worried.

The OTR

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 12, 2017, 08:11:48 pm

Yes, your file is only slightly smaller than Delta's in terms of sheets of paper (48,000 to 68,000 or so).  If he set your files on fire it would take a good while to burn I'd say. 

I seem to be on a few of you guys' last nerve. I couldn't be happier that Vantage and stuffy hog have taken all this way too seriously. 

Yes, I am well connected... pretty well connected all right.  I was born in New York and lived in Manhattan most of my life and perhaps that isn't well received by some of you southerners and my reference to us outsmarting you guys isn't being well received.  Do that mean I'm better than you because I am a yankee?  No, not all of you.  I would consider at least 25% here my equal at best but more likely slightly below in terms of overall intelligence...the other 75% are at least two standard deviations or more below my IQ I'd guess... but there are some good people here.  And there are some real dummies too.  And there's a lot of people who are taking this much too seriously.

I've known about this for a while now.  I've been dropping hints about Long not going anywhere but everyone has ignored my cryptic messages.

damgoodestuffyhog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 12, 2017, 08:51:14 pm
Yes, your file is only slightly smaller than Delta's in terms of sheets of paper (48,000 to 68,000 or so).  If he set your files on fire it would take a good while to burn I'd say. 

I seem to be on a few of you guys' last nerve. I couldn't be happier that Vantage and stuffy hog have taken all this way too seriously. 

Yes, I am well connected... pretty well connected all right.  I was born in New York and lived in Manhattan most of my life and perhaps that isn't well received by some of you southerners.

Oh boy, I regret engaging this train wreck. Please change (I know you can't) Goodnight!

damgoodestuffyhog

Quote from: Ward on October 12, 2017, 08:58:54 pm

Unreal isn't it

>:(

Are you just egging me on??? Haha, seriously all including PHJ, have a good night.

Boardon Hamsay

Yes, I am well connected... pretty well connected all right.  I was born in New York and lived in Manhattan most of my life and perhaps that isn't well received by some of you southerners and my reference to us outsmarting you guys isn't being well received.  Do that mean I'm better than you because I am a yankee?  No, not all of you.  I would consider at least 25% here my equal at best but more likely slightly below in terms of overall intelligence...the other 75% are at least two standard deviations or more below my IQ I'd guess... but there are some good people here.  And there are some real dummies too.  And there's a lot of people who are taking this much too seriously.

I've known about this for a while now.  I've been dropping hints about Long not going anywhere but everyone has ignored my cryptic messages.

See guys, PHJ is good people. Good insights here and backs them up with the numbers.

damgoodestuffyhog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 12, 2017, 09:02:39 pm
See guys, PHJ is good people. Good insights here and backs them up with the numbers.

Is this the twilight zone?

Veryyyyy interesting that you both reference "good people"

Boardon Hamsay

trippigs

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 12, 2017, 07:22:05 pm
Financial wizard... now that is humorous. Just curious. Have you ever actually spoken to Long?

Yes I have. He is a smart dude.....like him or not

The OTR

Quote from: trippigs on October 12, 2017, 09:31:09 pm
Yes I have. He is a smart dude.....like him or not

Gonna have to call bs on this.  Sure hate to be this way right before I go to bed.

PonderinHog

Quote from: damgoodestuffyhog on October 12, 2017, 09:00:08 pm
Are you just egging me on??? Haha, seriously all including PHJ, have a good night.
Is this your MO?  Come in here and stir up a hornet's nest and then exit stage left, like none of this is your fault?  I'd bet good money Long has a file on you, too.  Ponder that!   >:(

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 12, 2017, 10:36:53 am
Arkansas football is a false flag operation to distract us from the real truth, that Pepsi is trying to take over the world and is in a full out war with all Coke institutions.

I heard that "The Hill" was actually flat.!?!?!?!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

trippigs

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 12, 2017, 10:08:45 pm
Gonna have to call bs on this.  Sure hate to be this way right before I go to bed.

You should sleep well tonight. We have attended University functions and briefly chatted with Long. Not claiming we are friends. I bet others on here have done the same

Pork Twain

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 12, 2017, 10:34:27 am
Looks like we've all been fooled by that carnival magician Jeff Long. He's been sitting on a $15 million smokescreen for all these years...now it suddenly and mysteriously leaks out that it may not be $15 million. 

This was a smokescreen's smokescreen. This makes the smokescreen of hiring Les Miles look like pulling a quarter out a 3 year old's ear. 

Expect more smokescreens.  None of us know what he's up to. That much is certain and we prove how little we know every day.

Somehow this sly old boy from up north is going to continue to pull rabbits out of his hat and saw folks in half right before our eyes (I'd like to volunteer a few of you to get sawed in half) and we're going to sit here and like it.

The only guy who could mess this up is CBB himself. If he wins six games and gets a bowl game he may mess up Long's trick.

And the last three football coaches were rabbits out of a hat anyway. Expect continued and prodigious use of smokescreens that will make Fayetteville look like one big fun house. Expect Long to hire someone that has never been mentioned here before. 
I am not even sure what the hell you are trying to say.  First about Long hiding behind the buyout (has he) and second about all these years (how many).
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jgphillips3

Oklahawg

Quote from: golf2day on October 12, 2017, 12:30:40 pm
Cmon, man. Think about it.

Like the guy or not, it's the AD's job to publicly support the coach until it's tme for a new coach. How in gods green earth could JL come out and correct our retarded media (sorry, but not reading the contract and misreporting this for years is pretty bad) without looking like he's not 100% behind CBB?

"Hey everybody, don't worry, the buyout is nowhere near that high. I can still fire him at a reasonable cost if he doesn't win" doesn't exactly instill confidence in the program.

If anything, the fact that Long let people roast him over that contract without correcting it makes me trust him more. The guy took the heat over something he didn't do to keep confidence in the program as high as possible.

Great post.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: MartinGit on October 12, 2017, 06:50:30 pm
You know what?, when I was listening to the herd and thought the buyout was $15.4 like was being bandied about, I was in favor of getting rid of Long too - however, when I read the contract and actually knew what was going on, I understood that although BB was Long's boy, and Long thought that BB would be a success here, he put the University first and negotiated a contract that lets us get away from BB without a buyout that might set a precedent for future coaches that would hurt the University.  I'm actually impressed with the contract that Long negotiated and when you look at the other accomplishments that Long has been involved in (that is, other sports and facilities) I think Long has been good for the University - yeah, I know that's not the popular opinion around here, but that's what I'm thinking

Good to read another rational post that reaches this conclusion.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tusks

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 12, 2017, 03:21:40 pm
I too scoffed at the term smokescreen when I first joined hogville. Then I saw first hand how many smokescreens Long used during our coaching searches and realized that this antiquated term is the only way to describe the various deceptive and tricky moves our AD has.

I guess he's more of a wizard than magician.  Rabbit out of a hat is a dummied down term that guys like yourself can comprehend. Obviously not many of you can read a simple employment contract so I am going to start trying to simplify things as much as I can.

How about he cools his jets on his 'wizardry' and learns how to hire a 'wizard' football coach that will WIN on the hill.  Or maybe make himself disappear right in front of the fans eyes.

He sounds like kermit and acts like urckle
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bondhue

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 12, 2017, 11:06:01 pm
Good to read another rational post that reaches this conclusion.
Just to be clear, you have decided who should be starting quarterback and have signaled it in your sig line.  I agree with you and I applaud you for hinting at this earlier and now.  But I do not agree with you on the integrity of J.L.  As usual, someone is right and someone is wrong.  Maybe it is I (case correct pronoun) but I don't think so.  Propaganda is a bad sign.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Sourpuss on October 12, 2017, 10:48:21 am
Long is slick for sure.  I've always said, even when folks were sore on here that "that Long is Slick.". I've even toyed with branding him, "Slick Long" or "Slick n' Long". "Big Slick Long". Anyway, you get the idea.  Point being, he seems to have had this ace in the hole all along.  I wonder if Bret feels like Long outfoxed him? I'll bet that clause doesn't make it to the next contract that Bret signs.  Should be called the complacency clause.

Your moniker reminds me of this date I went on one time...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogsanity

Quote from: tusked on October 12, 2017, 11:43:03 pm
How about he cools his jets on his 'wizardry' and learns how to hire a 'wizard' football coach that will WIN on the hill.  Or maybe make himself disappear right in front of the fans eyes.

He sounds like kermit and acts like urckle

And how is Long or anyone else for that matter supposed to KNOW in advance what coach will win on the Hill?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Feralhog

Back when I was just a little shaver, I use to watch this show called romper room, near the end the lady what did the show had this magic mirror and as soon as she'd start peering into it, there'd be all sorts of wild lights spiraling around, and then she'd start talking to kids what was watching her on television.  Ever day I'd watch, hoping to hear my name, Feralhog, but never did.  Anyway, the reason I bring this up is I've been thinking about your OP, and the binoculars that I suspect you were using to monitor the Long house, with all the deep intel and stuff that I read, I couldn't help thinking about that women's magic mirrort.  I understand this don't add anything, I just like thinking about stuff like this.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former coach finder for the Tejas Longhorns.......Feralhog the Magnificent

Feralhog

Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former coach finder for the Tejas Longhorns.......Feralhog the Magnificent

The OTR

I'm starting to think maybe the last five years have been nothing but a big smokescreen to make Alabama overconfident tomorrow. 

thebignasty

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 13, 2017, 07:00:08 pm
I'm starting to think maybe the last five years have been nothing but a big smokescreen to make Alabama overconfident tomorrow.

It's all starting to fit.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

damgoodestuffyhog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 13, 2017, 07:00:08 pm

Ironically it would all be worth it. The ascension would be unstoppable. Nick would have no choice but to become our D coordinator, Bobby would want to leave UL and handle the O. Bret could go on the tv circuit full time while Hootie got us 'cruits that loved the helmet, John L could get the special team's piss hot. All of them would have a "15 million dollar" buyout totaling a staggering "75 million dollars" JL's master plan.

Oklahawg

Quote from: bondhue on October 13, 2017, 12:18:21 am
Just to be clear, you have decided who should be starting quarterback and have signaled it in your sig line.  I agree with you and I applaud you for hinting at this earlier and now.  But I do not agree with you on the integrity of J.L.  As usual, someone is right and someone is wrong.  Maybe it is I (case correct pronoun) but I don't think so.  Propaganda is a bad sign.

Ha! I have had that signature line for a LONG time.