Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P.J. Fleck

Started by bigpigpimpin, October 12, 2017, 09:22:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

This guy has potential to be the next Dabo. Why not give him a shot? up and comer could put some energy back into the program. Could probably get him at a decent price too.

Southpointhog

razorcash2

I believe he's getting paid 3.5 mil a year at Minnesota, which honestly seems a bit high.

There is a lot of great things going on at Minnesota right now in regards to the football program, so I bet it would take 4 million + to get him.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 12, 2017, 09:22:03 am
This guy has potential to be the next Dabo. Why not give him a shot? up and comer could put some energy back into the program. Could probably get him at a decent price too.

I'm a big PJ Fleck fan, was surprised all he could get last year was Minnesota.  He's definitely a realistic name, but not sure he'd leave Minnesota after only 1 year. That's not a very good look a la Petrino

Razorbackers

He is in his first year at Minnesota. He ain't rowing that boat down here.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: razorcash2 on October 12, 2017, 09:30:26 am
I believe he's getting paid 3.5 mil a year at Minnesota, which honestly seems a bit high.

There is a lot of great things going on at Minnesota right now in regards to the football program, so I bet it would take 4 million + to get him.

I'm personally not ready to spend that on a guy like Fleck. Not that I don't like him, but not for that price tag

hogcard1964

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 12, 2017, 09:22:03 am

I hate to say it but right now that's a lateral move.  Minnesota may actually have more cred than Arky right now.

Seebs

4MM is the minimum salary for any coach in the SEC west. This is why I shake my head every time one of you say 'but we're paying him $4MM a year'.  We'd be paying HDN $4MM a year of he wasn't such such a tool and still coaching
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

razorcash2

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 12, 2017, 09:32:21 am
I hate to say it but right now that's a lateral move.  Minnesota may actually have more cred than Arky right now.
You would really believe that if you saw everything they are investing in the football program up there. Everything will be new. It's very nice...SEC quality.

The_Boot_stops_here

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 12, 2017, 09:32:21 am

It's not that big of a stretch, Jerry Kill did a good job building that program up. What happened to him was unfortunate, but Fleck inherited a decent roster and gets to keep recruiting in the same part of the country he made his name in. That's a solid program up there, with worse competition.

Winter's will suck, tho.

Hoggie17

The Kig

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 12, 2017, 09:32:07 am
I'm personally not ready to spend that on a guy like Fleck. Not that I don't like him, but not for that price tag

Probably good since you aren't likely to be personally spending anywhere near that for our next coach.  Can't see any incentive for Fleck to leave Minnesota, but it would definitely not be for close to what he makes today. 

IF and it's a very big IF there is a move made this year to remove Bert, what coach in their right mind would step into this dumpster fire for <$4M a year?   Seriously, think through the cascade effect of buying out his contract and then trying to attract anyone who can legitimately turn this ship around. 

As much as it pains me to say, Arkansas is NOT an attractive job right now...
Poker Porker

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 12, 2017, 09:48:21 am
Purdue beat Minn this last weekend 31-17

He is also paid *slightly* less than Fleck and has done a really nice job in Year 1 at Purdue considering the dumpster fire it was.  Fleck is also a little to gimmicky/rah rah for me.  Just my opinion

Wildhog

Frost, Brohm, Campbell, Fleck

Get one of those and let's roll
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on October 12, 2017, 09:57:29 am

Yeap
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

thebignasty

Super excited by Brohm and Campbell.  Feel sort of meh about Fleck and Frost.  Norvell seems good to me also.

Leach is more fun when he's some other programs drunk uncle.

Hoggie17

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on October 12, 2017, 09:54:45 am
He is also paid *slightly* less than Fleck and has done a really nice job in Year 1 at Purdue considering the dumpster fire it was.  Fleck is also a little to gimmicky/rah rah for me.  Just my opinion
I keep saying Brohm is solid, we can get him. It will be another mistake if we don't.

jgphillips3

I'm good with that.

The_Boot_stops_here

Chad Morris might be another *realistic* possibility as well.  Inherited a dumpster fire at SMU and they have improved every season.  Only makes around 2 mil and has Texas connections out the wazzu.  He has had 2 classes at SMU comprised entirely of Texas kids.  Innovative offense, great success at Clemson as OC and now steadily improving SMU

Wildhog

Quote from: thebignasty on October 12, 2017, 10:00:08 am
Super excited by Brohm and Campbell.  Feel sort of meh about Fleck and Frost.  Norvell seems good to me also.

Yeah, I've got Frost/Campbell/Brohm slightly above Fleck. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

AirWarren

So get rid of one midwestern person for another? No thanks.

Wildhog

Quote from: AP85 on October 12, 2017, 10:06:17 am

Which has nothing to do with anything.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

With out luck,  Bielema wins out after Auburn. Lol.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

cosmodrum

Quote from: AP85 on October 12, 2017, 10:06:17 am

We need a good ole country boy that likes to duck hunt, chew Levi Garrett and kick some yankee ass! YEEEEEHAAWWWWWWW
Go away, batin'

Wildhog

Quote from: thebignasty on October 12, 2017, 10:00:08 am

Also, on Frost-  You may have seen me post this, but I will again in case you haven't.

UCF went 0-12 in 2015.  In 2016 (Frost's first year), he took them to a bowl game.  This year, he's 4-0, and they are just MURDERING opposing teams.  They beat DJ Durkin's Maryland team 38-10 in week 4.  He runs Chip Kelly's offense, and apparently runs it very well.  Frost might honestly be at the top of my list.  It will, of course, depend on how the rest of this season goes. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Wildhog on October 12, 2017, 10:15:24 am
Also, on Frost-  You may have seen me post this, but I will again in case you haven't.

UCF went 0-12 in 2015.  In 2016 (Frost's first year), he took them to a bowl game.  This year, he's 4-0, and they are just MURDERING opposing teams.  They beat DJ Durkin's Maryland team 38-10 in week 4.  He runs Chip Kelly's offense, and apparently runs it very well.  Frost might honestly be at the top of my list.  It will, of course, depend on how the rest of this season goes. 

headed to Nebraska maybe?

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on October 12, 2017, 10:18:37 am
headed to Nebraska maybe?

Maybe.  At the very least I'd like to make them pay for him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hawg Marshal

Do you think Fleck would bring Robb Smith with him? lol

GunnerHawg70

PJ Fleck is not going anywhere after one season at Minnesota. They literally gave him the keys to the program and he is destined to do some good things there...He's not leaving

AirWarren

Quote from: Wildhog on October 12, 2017, 10:11:17 am
Which has nothing to do with anything.

Yeah....dan enos says hello. Kurt Anderson.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 12, 2017, 09:32:07 am

I am not saying that Fleck should be our guy, however I am one who gets annoyed, but also a bit curious as to why people worry so much about the salary of a HC?  Is it a jealousy thing?  (I am not really calling out you, just made me think of all the people that bring this issue up and it made me curious)

I for one would be happy if the UofA spent 10+ Mil a year on a coach rather than spending a bunch of money on stadium renovations...The HC is obviously the most important position that correlates the most with whether we are winning or losing.  Let's go all out!
SCREW Vandy!

Wildhog

Quote from: AP85 on October 12, 2017, 10:33:13 am
Yeah....dan enos says hello. Kurt Anderson.

Where a coach is from has EXACTLY nothing to with their ability.  Petrino is from frickin' Montana.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 12, 2017, 10:33:01 am
I think i saw where he only makes 1.75 million. money talks

3.5 mil per with annual raise of 500k

Redhogs

Quote from: rhames on October 12, 2017, 10:12:14 am
With out luck,  Bielema wins out after Auburn. Lol.
Will be too mentally beat down after next 2 games, hell, they were mentally beat down after winning the NMST game.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

longpig

Fleck thinks he's the 2nd coming.  He'll fall hard Harley Bob style soon, real hard. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

KevinOMReb

We of course are talking the same thing in Oxford.  Just throwing large sums of money at people doesn't mean they'll leave a place they're happy.  And if I was making $3mm a year and someone offered $4mm, would I up and leave?  How rich is too rich?  Plus we're all forgetting the large buyouts either of us would have to pay to get a Fleck, Brohm, etc.  These guys just signed new contracts with large buyouts too, especially in the first 2 years.  They're not THAT good to pay that kind of money.  And Patterson will retire at TCU.  Everybody on our boards think that offering him 3 mill above TCU will have him running to the SEC.  Fat chance. He's totally happy, rich and successful there and his alumni base isn't demanding. 
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

Wildhog

After Dec 5, Brohm's buyout is $4M.  Let's not act like it's some ridiculous number.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogtimes

longpig

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 12, 2017, 11:47:52 am
Seriously? watch this guys interviews. watch his pregame speeches. watch how his interviews and how his team performs. Who wouldn't want to play for this guy?

Somebody that doesn't want to be stuck with the guy when he falls, Harley Bob style. 

Hogtimes

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 12, 2017, 10:33:01 am
I think i saw where he only makes 1.75 million. money talks

Nothing like being factual.

ThisTeetsTaken

Which of those could put together a staff that can recruit the areas sucessfully that we need to recruit?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

PLHawg

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on October 12, 2017, 10:53:55 am
3.5 mil per with annual raise of 500k

NO ONE is going to come and tackle this monster for less than 4 mil.  We have absolutely no bargaining power right now.

Wildhog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 12, 2017, 12:44:07 pm
Which of those could put together a staff that can recruit the areas sucessfully that we need to recruit?

Literally any of them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

NavarreHog

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on October 12, 2017, 10:01:59 am
Chad Morris might be another *realistic* possibility as well.  Inherited a dumpster fire at SMU and they have improved every season.  Only makes around 2 mil and has Texas connections out the wazzu.  He has had 2 classes at SMU comprised entirely of Texas kids.  Innovative offense, great success at Clemson as OC and now steadily improving SMU

I do like this option

longpig

"You guys know the PJ story, why he and Wife #1 divorced, etc.....

Was a scandal around Kalamazoo, central MI, involved boosters wives, Internet boards, etc

About 2, 3 yrs ago, PJ supposedly had an affair, slept with wife of a big booster, Auto dealer guy.
Some people on Bronco Internet boards blew it wide open - the booster wife got angry, sued everyone, internet people for slander etc

PJ wife #1 left him, so even though PJ and booster wife Denied it all, his wife #1 bailed on him. Leaving many to think it was true.....

So, PJ has had colorful off the field antics. Wife #2 looks like trouble also.....
When at NIU, PJ was known as a Ladies man, he is very popular with the women.
As his career escalates, this stuff will likely not go away. Good times for media and fans...."

31to6

Quote from: KevinOMReb on October 12, 2017, 11:48:11 am
We of course are talking the same thing in Oxford.  Just throwing large sums of money at people doesn't mean they'll leave a place they're happy.  And if I was making $3mm a year and someone offered $4mm, would I up and leave?  How rich is too rich?  Plus we're all forgetting the large buyouts either of us would have to pay to get a Fleck, Brohm, etc.  These guys just signed new contracts with large buyouts too, especially in the first 2 years.  They're not THAT good to pay that kind of money.  And Patterson will retire at TCU.  Everybody on our boards think that offering him 3 mill above TCU will have him running to the SEC.  Fat chance. He's totally happy, rich and successful there and his alumni base isn't demanding. 
I don't think our programs are competing for the same coaches.

OM has no margin for error. You have to hire a squeaky-clean guy. Not Bielema, but a guy like him, with a reputation for running a clean program and with a strong-enough personality to change the culture. Hard for an up-and-comer to walk in and do that. This is true whether you assume the squeaky clean head coach will just be a smoke-screen for business as usual or if you truly want to get right.

Arkansas either doesn't cheat or is really bad at it. We can go after an up-and-comer or a coordinator and rely on the apparatus in place to help him settle into the role. We could also look for a successful HC who is open to moving (G5 or low-end P5 guy, making less money and/or
looking to move for whatever reason).

Both jobs will attract a candidate that looks good on paper at least. This is still the SEC and Nick won't coach forever.

Pig in the Pokey

do not want Mr Titty Baby. Do not want to row the boat.

The guy's mantra is LITERALLY- "There is no way on God's green Earth I should be a D-1 football coach". THAT'S the guy you want? SMMFH
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: longpig on October 12, 2017, 12:53:14 pm
"You guys know the PJ story, why he and Wife #1 divorced, etc.....

Was a scandal around Kalamazoo, central MI, involved boosters wives, Internet boards, etc

About 2, 3 yrs ago, PJ supposedly had an affair, slept with wife of a big booster, Auto dealer guy.
Some people on Bronco Internet boards blew it wide open - the booster wife got angry, sued everyone, internet people for slander etc

PJ wife #1 left him, so even though PJ and booster wife Denied it all, his wife #1 bailed on him. Leaving many to think it was true.....

So, PJ has had colorful off the field antics. Wife #2 looks like trouble also.....
When at NIU, PJ was known as a Ladies man, he is very popular with the women.
As his career escalates, this stuff will likely not go away. Good times for media and fans...."
don't forget the part about the affair going on right after his kid died and his wife was grieving... THAT IS MESSED UP AF
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Wildhog

I was unaware of these allegations.  Guess we can rule out Fleck.

Frost, Brohm, Campbell!
1909/1964/1965/1977