Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema's buyout less than 5.9M$ per DemoGazz

Started by ballz2thewall, October 12, 2017, 03:00:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 12, 2017, 03:58:00 pm
No lump sum payments, he must make a good faith effort to find employment elsewhere and once he does, the money goes away. No Charlie Weis garbage where he is double dipping while coaching another Div 1 school. Etc.

Earlier in the contract the monthly compensation is higher than it will be late in the contract. 

It doesn't go away, it just gets reduced by any salary he gets from future employment, so it could go away, if he gets more than about $2.00MM per year.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on October 12, 2017, 04:01:02 pm
It doesn't go away, it just gets reduced by any salary he gets from future employment, so it could go away, if he gets more than about $2.00MM per year.

Yep.
This is my non-signature signature.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2017, 03:59:19 pm
Lots of coaches make good faith efforts to find employment, and don't, haha.

Yep.

I'd like Nick Saban to make a good faith effort to get hired at Arkansas.

T'would be cool.

Rayzback

Left @ 2 pages, came back to 9. Now 10, can't keep up!
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Simple Swineman

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 12, 2017, 03:42:00 pm
that was my impression as well.  I doubt CBBs lawyer is going to just let 5-10 million sit on the table if he can figure out a way to get it.

They aren't leaving $10 million on the table. He's already been paid that. To put it simply, the $15.4 million is basically just the amount he is guaranteed to receive over the life of his contract.

His salary was $3.25 million in 2015, $3.35 million in 2016, and $3.45 million in 2017. That's a total of $10.05 million he will have been paid. Based on the termination calculation he will receive $5.9 million if we fire him after the Missouri game.

He's getting his guaranteed $15.4 million just as the contract states. There is no money left on the table.

ricepig

Quote from: Rayzback on October 12, 2017, 04:04:46 pm
Left @ 2 pages, came back to 9. Now 10, can't keep up!

It's the same ole shitz, just rehashed.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2017, 04:06:36 pm
It's the same ole shitz, just rehashed.

Yep.

How many times can we doo the math and explain it a different way for different people?

Bottom line is whether we can handle going farther down this rabbit hole until we find the bottom and chill there with Texas until this goes from a 2-3 year fix to a 7-8 year fix just like the Longhorns did with Brown.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 12, 2017, 04:02:52 pm
Yep.

Mark it down, October 12, 2017 at 4:02:52 PM...  Two People On Hogville Agreed On Something.  Holy Blizzards Batman, I think it's freezing over!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on October 12, 2017, 04:11:11 pm
Mark it down, October 12, 2017 at 4:02:52 PM...  Two People On Hogville Agreed On Something.  Holy Blizzards Batman, I think it's freezing over!

Lol.

Me and Rice agree more often than not. FWIW.

Now getting Delta and Majestic to agree?

Hogwild

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 12, 2017, 03:16:24 pm
Is there a lawyer in the house that works in contracts that would bother clarifying?  :-\

SaturdayDownSouth had an article saying the lawyers that have reviewd the contract and aren't sure the amount of the buyout. 

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Hogwild on October 12, 2017, 04:14:16 pm
SaturdayDownSouth had an article saying the lawyers that have reviewd the contract and aren't sure the amount of the buyout.
Then they really need new counsel.

Hog-Corleone

Can you give me the attorneys names, so i can put them on my "Do Not Call" list.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Simple Swineman on October 12, 2017, 04:05:06 pm
They aren't leaving $10 million on the table. He's already been paid that. To put it simply, the $15.4 million is basically just the amount he is guaranteed to receive over the life of his contract.

His salary was $3.25 million in 2015, $3.35 million in 2016, and $3.45 million in 2017. That's a total of $10.05 million he will have been paid. Based on the termination calculation he will receive $5.9 million if we fire him after the Missouri game.

He's getting his guaranteed $15.4 million just as the contract states. There is no money left on the table.

Right, the way I see it, if he had of been fired the day after he signed the contract, then the buyout would have been $15.4 mil.
Now it's $15.4 mil, less what he has already received.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

woodrow hog call

Quote from: factchecker on October 12, 2017, 04:03:52 pm

This gif is going to get me fired one day, I can't keep telling people I sneezed and blew pop all over my screen, then broke out laughing uncontrollably.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

PorkSoda

Quote from: woodrow hog call on October 12, 2017, 04:30:50 pm

Right, the way I see it, if he had of been fired the day after he signed the contract, then the buyout would have been $15.4 mil.
except if he was paid 3.2 million each of the 8 years of his contract, the would be paid 25.6 million.  that's not counting the raise.

It all boils down to how they interpret the "term"

for the sake of the program, I hope it ends up being the lower amount.

and thank god we didn't have a contract like sumlins.  I think he gets like 15 mill on the day he is fired or something to that effect.  its crazy.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: woodrow hog call on October 12, 2017, 04:30:50 pm

Correct.

The "buyout" numbers aren't really buyout numbers, it's just his guaranteed pay as of January 1 on any given year. Just using simple math you can see where the numbers in the chart comes from.

The contract states that coach has a $250,000 retention bonus paid each year. His annual salary is...
2020 - $3.75 million
2019 - $3.65
2018 - $3.55
2017 - $3.45

This is where his buyout numbers come from...
2020 - $4 million ($3.75 salary + $250,000 bonus)
2019 - $7.9 million ($3.75 +  $3.65 + $500,000 bonus)
2018 - $11.7 million ($3.75 +  $3.65 + + $3.55 + $750,000 bonus)
2017 - $15.4 million ($3.75 +  $3.65 + + $3.55 + $3.45 + $1,000,000 bonus)

There was no accident or smokescreen in the contract. All the buyout clause does is pay him his guaranteed salary. It's really mind boggling how people got so confused over this and how the media/fans totally overlooked it. All the calculations do is prorate out the remainder of the contract.

hawgon

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 12, 2017, 04:36:36 pm
except if he was paid 3.2 million each of the 8 years of his contract, the would be paid 25.6 million.  that's not counting the raise.

It all boils down to how they interpret the "term"

for the sake of the program, I hope it ends up being the lower amount.

and thank god we didn't have a contract like sumlins.  I think he gets like 15 mill on the day he is fired or something to that effect.  its crazy.

The term is easily defined.  It is from the date the contract was signed in 2012 to 2020.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: HardCore on October 12, 2017, 06:29:05 am
Yes, especially if he considers keeping this coach.  Either way...don't want Long around to select the next coach......not his best attribute.

If he forms a search committee and stays out of the way, I'm good with him staying now that the contract is revealed to be reasonable.

He's done a pretty good job with the admin stuff.

Martygit

October 12, 2017, 04:51:55 pm #472 Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:25:48 pm by MartinGit
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 12, 2017, 03:16:24 pm
Is there a lawyer in the house that works in contracts that would bother clarifying?  :-\

I'm a lawyer and have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express - I've drafted, reviewed, revised and litigated contracts - this seems really simple to me - the $15.4 number is a number that the University would have owed him if they had fired him on day one or any time during that month - after that, up until 1/1/18 you take the $15.4, divide it by the number of months of the contract (which is 97 and remains static throughout the term of the contract) - that gives you a monthly number which you then multiply by the number of months remaining on the term of the contract.  So you divide the $15.4 by 97 which reveals a monthly figure of $158,762+some change - you then multiply that number by the number of months left in the term of the contract which, as I understand it, terminates on 12/31/20 - including all of October, that means 39 months as of today - so, if you fire him today, $158,762 x 39 = $6.1-6.2. If you wait until after the season is over and fire him during December but before 1/1/18 you owe him $158,762 x 36 (you pro-rate the month of December based on what day you fire him) which reveals a buyout of about $5.7.

If you wait until 1/1/18 the numerator (the $15.4 figure) goes down to $11.7 according to the chart I saw.  So instead of dividing $15.4 by the 97 months in the term of the contract, you would divide $11.7 by that 97 months to give you a monthly buyout figure.  $11.7 divided by 97 = $120,618.  Then you multiply that by the number of months remaining in the term of the contract which, as of 1/1/18 is 36 so, $120,618 x 36 = $4.342+.

And, the University gets to pay that off monthly with some offsets in the event he finds other work.

I'll send you a bill
RIP OTR, REV

hawgon

Exactly.  It looks like a good contract with little to no ambiguity as far as I can tell.  It is simple as simple can be.

Großer Kriegschwein

Them reporting it as $15.4 million for the last two years has nothing to do with their confusion. Lol.

HawgTide

October 12, 2017, 05:03:15 pm #475 Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:20:50 pm by HawgTide
Quote from: MartinGit on October 12, 2017, 04:51:55 pm
I'm a lawyer and have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express - I've drafted, reviewed, revised and litigated contracts - this seems really simple to me - the $15.4 number is a number that the University would have owed him if they had fired him on day one or any time during that month - after that, up until 1/1/18 you take the $15.4, divide it by the number of months of the contract (which is 97 and remains static throughout the term of the contract) - that gives you a monthly number which you then multiply by the number of months remaining on the term of the contract.  So you divide the $15.4 by 97 which reveals a monthly figure of $158,762+some change - you then multiply that number by the number of months left in the term of the contract which, as I understand it, terminates on 12/31/20 - including all of October, that means 39 months as of today - so, if you fire him today, $158,762 x 39 = $6.1-6.2. If you wait until after the season is over and fire him during December but before 1/1/18 you owe him $158,762 x 36 (you pro-rate the month of December based on what day you fire him) which reveals a buyout of about $5.7.

If you wait until 1/1/18 the numerator (the $15.4 figure) goes down to $11.7 according to the chart I saw.  So instead of dividing $15.4 by the 97 months in the term of the contract, you would divide $11.7 by that 97 months to give you a monthly buyout figure.  $11.7 divided by 97 = $120,618.  Then you multiply that by the number of months remaining in the term of the contract which, as of 1/1/18 is 36 so, $120,618 x 36 = $4.342+.

And, the University gets to pay that off monthly with some offsets in the event he finds other work.

I'll send you a bill

Thanks for the free legal counsel

factchecker

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 12, 2017, 04:58:08 pm
Them reporting it as $15.4 million for the last two years has nothing to do with their confusion. Lol.

It's Saturday Down South...... Hogville is a better source than them.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Doesn't surprise me.
I always thought it'd be clear as mud / open to various interpretations.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Snortingred1

Quote from: presidenthog on October 12, 2017, 01:51:20 pm
He isn't hiding behind the buyout. He leaked this to take pressure off himself and put it on Bert. Long doesn't look like an idiot who signed a 15 mil buyout. Instead he looks really smart and made a great business decision.

Long is distancing himself from fat boy.

He didn't leak anything.  The information has always been available to the public.  Since we first hired Bielema, you could find the contract available.

Martygit

That's exactly what BB's lawyers would say when they know exactly what it says but don't want to admit it to their client.  Lawyers get paid to argue on behalf of their client, not to admit something that's not in their client's best interest.
RIP OTR, REV

MB Hog

Quote from: Simple Swineman on October 12, 2017, 04:37:44 pm
Correct.

The "buyout" numbers aren't really buyout numbers, it's just his guaranteed pay as of January 1 on any given year. Just using simple math you can see where the numbers in the chart comes from.

The contract states that coach has a $250,000 retention bonus paid each year. His annual salary is...
2020 - $3.75 million
2019 - $3.65
2018 - $3.55
2017 - $3.45

This is where his buyout numbers come from...
2020 - $4 million ($3.75 salary + $250,000 bonus)
2019 - $7.9 million ($3.75 +  $3.65 + $500,000 bonus)
2018 - $11.7 million ($3.75 +  $3.65 + + $3.55 + $750,000 bonus)
2017 - $15.4 million ($3.75 +  $3.65 + + $3.55 + $3.45 + $1,000,000 bonus)

There was no accident or smokescreen in the contract. All the buyout clause does is pay him his guaranteed salary. It's really mind boggling how people got so confused over this and how the media/fans totally overlooked it. All the calculations do is prorate out the remainder of the contract.
Ahh - this helps a lot.  So the buyout numerator is based on what remains on CBB's contract for the final four years... then three years, two years, and one year.  He doesn't get ALL of the money from the contract, but a smaller percentage of it based on the numerator and the formula described in the contract.  That's why it is a buyout... otherwise, they would just be paying the entire remaining salary even after he was let go, and that wouldn't make sense.  For example, if he was fired at the beginning of January 2020, the buyout number is $4 million because that is what his remaining compensation would be on the contract, but they wouldn't pay the entire $4 million because he wouldn't actually be working.  Instead, he would get just under $500K based on the buyout formula as his compensation for getting let go before the end of the contract.  Got it!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HogPhilosophy on October 12, 2017, 05:07:06 am
UUUUGGE if true!!

Did Long just go from the dumbest man to the smartest man?
UUUUUUUUUUUUUEEESSSSSSS....
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

phadedhawg

maybe having a "nerd", "pencil pusher", "carpetbagger" as an AD, has some upsides after all....

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: MartinGit on October 12, 2017, 04:51:55 pm

I'll send you a bill
I just did this calculation and came up with 4,342,268.04 if he is not fired until Jan 1, 2018 before I looked at your post. My first degree was in Accounting. Thanks for your accuracy!

Martygit

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on October 12, 2017, 05:38:01 pm
I just did this calculation and came up with 4,342,268.04 if he is not fired until Jan 1, 2018 before I looked at your post. My first degree was in Accounting. Thanks for your accuracy!

Us lawyers and accountants have to stick together - thanks for confirming  :) (and, I don't know where the MB Hog numbers are coming from)
RIP OTR, REV

This is actually an important thread that has been turned into something irrelevant.

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: MartinGit on October 12, 2017, 05:58:04 pm
Us lawyers and accountants have to stick together - thanks for confirming  :) (and, I don't know where the MB Hog numbers are coming from)
Funny , I really enjoyed that calculation .  I was laughing when I saw your post.  I have got your back !

East TN HAWG

So instead firing him now, looks like we should place him on administrative leave until Jan.  Then let him go.  Saves us almost 2M.

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: East TN HAWG on October 12, 2017, 06:04:15 pm
So instead firing him now, looks like we should place him on administrative leave until Jan.  Then let him go.  Saves us almost 2M.
Yes , that would be smart football.

Martygit

Quote from: East TN HAWG on October 12, 2017, 06:04:15 pm

Wouldn't make any difference - let him coach it out - it can't get any worse with him here and no better with an interim - just wait until 1/1/18, then let him go - in the meantime, find someone else and put them in your back pocket until after the first of the year
RIP OTR, REV

a0ashle

So I'm guessing trying to sink Long on the basis of the buyout is off the table now?

Martygit

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on October 12, 2017, 06:03:01 pm
Funny , I really enjoyed that calculation .  I was laughing when I saw your post.  I have got your back !

With all of the would-be geniuses on here, we could probably take over the whole place - as if we'd want to  ::)
RIP OTR, REV

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: MartinGit on October 12, 2017, 06:12:47 pm
With all of the would-be geniuses on here, we could probably take over the whole place - as if we'd want to  ::)
As long as we are fantasizing,  I would like to see Brohm or Chad Morris from SMU.   

rhames

Quote from: a0ashle on October 12, 2017, 06:12:03 pm
So I'm guessing trying to sink Long on the basis of the buyout is off the table now?

Yeap. I'm sure Guv and FCJ will still be strong in their efforts though.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogPhilosophy on October 12, 2017, 05:07:06 am
UUUUGGE if true!!

Did Long just go from the dumbest man to the smartest man?

Heck Bret could have to pay the UA $15 million if fired and a few on here would still want Long fired......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 12, 2017, 07:47:12 am
Rhames, I know you love both Long and CBB, Long said it, it doesn't matter when and the article brought that out.

It matters WHEN someone says something ALL the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

JaketheSnake

Quote from: rhames on October 12, 2017, 06:28:06 pm

Yeap. I'm sure Guv and FCJ will still be strong in their efforts though.
The witch hunt shall continue!

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Duck did you keep that calculator from the hog dog stand you had so we can get this chit straighten out?
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Boardon Hamsay

Obligatory in before "Son of All Things Bielema's Buyout Less Than $5.9M Per DemoGazz Merged".
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation