Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Realistic replacements for Bielema

Started by Hawgwild15, October 11, 2017, 11:29:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgwild15

Long time reader,first time poster. I apologize if there's already a thread on this somewhere. I'm on board with parting ways with Bielema at seasons end, regardless of the buyout. It's year 5 and we've declined the last part of last season and this season and in year 5 that's not what we should be seeing. He claims that it's not coaching, yet the development of players. Well I hate to break it to him, but that kinda falls on him as the head coach. Bottom line is if we don't get rid of Bielema after this season we're only going to keep declining as a football program. I say all of that to ask who everyone sees as a realistic option as the next Arkansas Razorback football coach. Jon Gruden is not walking through that door and neither is Chip Kelly. I've got a realistic top 5 list and you can take it or leave it, to some it might not be realistic but I'd be interested to see everyone's realistic top 5 candidate list. Mine is as follows:
1. Mike Leach
2. Les Miles
3. Charlie Strong
4. Mike Norvell
5. Brent Venables

Go Hogs!

Hoggie17

I never thought Les Miles was that good at LSU with all that talent. He would fail.  Charlie Strong could not make it at Texas in a weaker league. I would cross those 2 off the list and add Jeff Brohm.

srange98

I'm glad someone finally asked this question

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: srange98 on October 11, 2017, 11:58:49 pm
I'm glad someone finally asked this question
Yes it's definitely something that needs to be getting more discussion. lol

Großer Kriegschwein

Same old silliness.

Put "Realistic" before something and expect a different response.

Maybe they should start doing that before ACA repeal bills. That should do the trick.
This is my non-signature signature.

Tusks

you want to find a coach that's going to have his best years at arkansas, not HAD his best years at another school and is now coaching arkansas.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 12, 2017, 12:13:23 am
The first 3 names on that list would be major screw up hires!  Leach never had a defense and with no D, losing will become the norm in the SEC.  Les Miles is an idiot and couldn't do anything with all that talent at LSU, so what do you think he could do with less talent at UA.  And Strong, please, I definitely don't want a UT has been and he stunk up the program at UT any way.

Can't be any worse at defense than the bafoon we have now.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Al Boarland

Leach and maybe Norvell are the only ones win a track record of success without talent.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 12, 2017, 12:28:28 am
Just don't see Leach, the closet king, at UA...  Plus, he is so far out there, Hog fans would fall out of love with him very quickly.

There were some questions about all that stuff at Tech. Don't believe everything you hear in the media.

bondhue

1. Venables
2. Kyle Whittngham
3. Norvell
4. Skip Holtz
5. Mike Leach
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

I like Tee Martin also someone is going to give him a chance.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Hawghiggs

Nosboar Accubond

lilRockNDubb

Leach never had a defense and with no D, losing will become the norm in the SEC.   

Petrino and Willy Robinson says hello....

parallaxpig

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on October 12, 2017, 06:14:12 am
Petrino and Willy Robinson says hello....

Is Willy in witness protection program
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

SultanofSwine

Quote from: parallaxpig on October 12, 2017, 06:20:27 am
Is Willy in witness protection program

Think he is out looking for the real estate he bought from John L

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

BILLYBOB

Charles Rene Strong. 58 years old. Current coach of USF Bulls who are 5-0 this season. Knows the SEC. Architect of killer Gamecock and Gator defenses. As Head Coach of Louisville led school to BCS Sugar Bowl win. Outstanding Recruiter with deep connections to fertile Florida and Texas regions. Demands player accountability. You will have your ass in class. Born and raised in Arkansas.

Oh, and Texas still owes him $5 - $7 million. So that subsidizes his salary here, which can be used to pay off CBB.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

Hoggie17

Quote from: tusked on October 12, 2017, 12:08:07 am
you want to find a coach that's going to have his best years at arkansas, not HAD his best years at another school and is now coaching arkansas.
This

Porkatarian

The first 3 names on that list would be major screw up hires!  Leach never had a defense and with no D, losing will become the norm in the SEC.  Les Miles is an idiot and couldn't do anything with all that talent at LSU, so what do you think he could do with less talent at UA.  And Strong, please, I definitely don't want a UT has been and he stunk up the program at UT any way. 

Leach has a really good defense this season.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

EastArkHog 47

Charlie Strong? Might as well keep Bielema as hire him. Finding someone who wants this dumpster fire that Long has created won't be easy. Norvell, Brohm or Frost might take the job if offered and possibly do well, who knows, only thing for sure is we are at the bottom of the SEC now #14.

Hoggie17

One of the ways I judge a coach is how he does with a losing program. James Franklin came at Vandy and won, by Vandy standards it was big.  I knew he could win anywhere.  I wanted him as our next HC, but Long had better ideas. Jeff Brohm has had success at every stop.  He has turned Purdue around and it didn't take 5 years.  Mike Leach has Washington State at 6-0 this year. He is a little odd but a winner.

My choice is Jeff Brohm, if you can win at Purdue, you can win anywhere.  He will be an elite coach, and we can get him.  Let's not let another coach of his ability make his name at another school.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 07:01:15 am

Porkatarian out...

But in his career has that happened very often? Probably not. Maybe it's an anomaly.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Redhogs

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 12, 2017, 07:18:15 am
One of the ways I judge a coach is how he does with a losing program. James Franklin came at Vandy and won, by Vandy standards it was big.  I knew he could win anywhere.  I wanted him as our next HC, but Long had better ideas. Jeff Brohm has had success at every stop.  He has turned Purdue around and it didn't take 5 years.  Mike Leach has Washington State at 6-0 this year. He is a little odd but a winner.

My choice is Jeff Brohm, if you can win at Purdue, you can win anywhere.  He will be an elite coach, and we can get him.  Let's not let another coach of his ability make his name at another school.
Agree with everything here, except Leach. Add Norvell and Campbell.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Amityvillehogger

PJ Fleck, Matt Campbell, Justin Fuente.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

cjack

1. Jeff Brohm
2. Some 30-35 year old guy that has never coached a major program but is on his way up. (See Sean McVay - LA Rams)
3. Not any retread/retired coach in the country.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Redhogs

Quote from: cjack on October 12, 2017, 08:14:14 am
1. Jeff Brohm
2. Some 30-35 year old guy that has never coached a major program but is on his way up. (See Sean McVay - LA Rams)
3. Not any retread/retired coach in the country.
Agreed..I've said this over and over..CAN'T BE SAID ENOUGH.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Ironhawg

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on October 12, 2017, 01:59:05 am
I like Tee Martin also someone is going to give him a chance.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Martin replace Butch Jones.

theFlyingHog

I'd bet money that the hire will come out of left field

hoghiker

Venables and Brohm both seem to me in high demand. Stars raising. Doubt either would be serious candidates for a potential Hog opening. 

Hoggish1

HawgTrough

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on October 12, 2017, 07:52:35 am
PJ Fleck, Matt Campbell, Justin Fuente.

That's a great list. Either would be yuge
WPS

PLHawg

Realistically:  Norvell
                    Brohm
                    Morris

hogginbama

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 12, 2017, 07:18:15 am

Could it be that there were stipulations such as a non-compete clause with Franklin?
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

jackflash

what are you going to do if they don't make a move?

GuvHog

Quote from: hoghiker on October 12, 2017, 08:49:47 am
Venables and Brohm both seem to me in high demand. Stars raising. Doubt either would be serious candidates for a potential Hog opening. 

Brohm is already a head coach so I doubt he'd come. I've heard that Venables wanted the Arkansas job when Bret was hired so I believe he'd come for the right money.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawgwild15

"The first 3 names on that list would be major screw up hires!  Leach never had a defense and with no D, losing will become the norm in the SEC.  Les Miles is an idiot and couldn't do anything with all that talent at LSU, so what do you think he could do with less talent at UA.  And Strong, please, I definitely don't want a UT has been and he stunk up the program at UT any way."

What do you mean Les Miles couldn't do anything at LSU? He was a great recruiter and he definitely did his fair share of winning. 114-34 record at LSU. Won the SEC twice and won a National Championship. That beats what we've done at Arkansas by a long shot. Just because you don't like him, doesn't make him a good coach. He may be different, but he's a good coach and he's won at the highest level.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 12, 2017, 10:10:22 am
Brohm is already a head coach so I doubt he'd come. I've heard that Venables wanted the Arkansas job when Bret was hired so I believe he'd come for the right money.

Where did you hear that?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

AirWarren

1. Venables
2. Mike leach
3. Blake Anderson

Polecat

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 12, 2017, 12:02:23 am
Yes it's definitely something that needs to be getting more discussion. lol
lol
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

AirWarren

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 07:01:15 am

Porkatarian out...

Leach also recruits the HECK out of california. And Washington state is within spitting distance of California. Might be tough to get those types of athletes.

However. He has Texas ties. And he knows how to recruit the south.

stronguard

Dowell Loggains

Kevin Kelley

Ken Niumatalolo

Mike Yurcich

Jeff Brohm

my submission for realistic list
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

hogfansince79

Mike Norvell  (36 years old)

The more I read about this guy, the more I like him...

http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/sports/breaking-down-new-memphis-football-coach-mike-norvell-s-offense/article_b0c27d5c-9b8a-11e5-92a0-ffa0b72f4194.html

"We're going to play fast," Norvell said at his introductory press conference Friday. "On offense we're going to take what the defense gives us. We plan on being very balanced – I believe in that. I believe in being able to run the football, and then taking vertical shots over the top."

Memphis plays Navy on Saturday at 2:45 on ESPNU.  It should be more entertaining than the game at 6:30.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

PLHawg

Quote from: hogfansince79 on October 12, 2017, 10:48:52 am
Mike Norvell  (36 years old)

The more I read about this guy, the more I like him...

http://www.dailyhelmsman.com/sports/breaking-down-new-memphis-football-coach-mike-norvell-s-offense/article_b0c27d5c-9b8a-11e5-92a0-ffa0b72f4194.html

"We're going to play fast," Norvell said at his introductory press conference Friday. "On offense we're going to take what the defense gives us. We plan on being very balanced – I believe in that. I believe in being able to run the football, and then taking vertical shots over the top."

Memphis plays Navy on Saturday at 2:45 on ESPNU.  It should be more entertaining than the game at 6:30.

I like the sound of his offense a whole lot better than the travesty we're currently running.

hogsanity

Quote from: PLHawg on October 12, 2017, 11:14:02 am

I like the sound of his offense a whole lot better than the travesty we're currently running.

sounds like the coach speak just about every 35-45 yr old coach at g5 schools running the spread would say.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfansince79

Quote from: PLHawg on October 12, 2017, 11:14:02 am

Yeah, I really like this part...

"On offense we're going to take what the defense gives us."

I get so pissed when I see the other teams defense put 8 in the box, and we still think we can run it against them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

hogfansince79

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2017, 11:27:16 am
sounds like the coach speak just about every 35-45 yr old coach at g5 schools running the spread would say.

Did you read the article I posted about him or do any research about him?  Well, of course not.