Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Realistic replacements for Bielema

Started by Hawgwild15, October 11, 2017, 11:29:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

Quote from: LZH on October 14, 2017, 01:28:57 pm
To me, he and Norvell are odds on faves to be our next Head Hog. Venables is waiting for Dabo to take the Bama gig so he can slide in at Clemson.

I haven't heard much more than a peep, and if Long stays, who knows who we'll end up with. Kenny Spence, my HS OC, why didn't you stay in coaching?!

Either that, or Venables becomes Oklahoma's next Head Coach when Lincoln Riley flames out at OU.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: jfred59 on October 14, 2017, 02:49:59 pm
Harsin---no-no-no.  For what its worth the folks in Jonesboro tell you that he is an arrogant prick

Gee, that's worked out pretty well for Bama.

Do we want an effective coach who wins (Saban, BP) or a hell of a nice guy who sits around and sings kum-ba-yah?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

ur

Memphis looks good. Looks like Norvell's contract has a buyout of $500k. He would be a bargain especially if he wants the AR job. Plus he would come without an AD in place.
http://archive.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football/Norvells-contract-5-year-deal-18-million-in-first-year-362513841.html

ipigsooie

Quote from: ur on October 14, 2017, 05:35:02 pm
Memphis looks good. Looks like Norvell's contract has a buyout of $500k. He would be a bargain especially if he wants the AR job. Plus he would come without an AD in place.
http://archive.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football/Norvells-contract-5-year-deal-18-million-in-first-year-362513841.html
[/quote

I have been saying that this is the guy we need to hire. It's realistic that he would accept the job and he is doing great things. Memphis had never won 3 in a row vs ranked teams until today. First year they've ever beat 2 ranked teams in the same season.

TX HOG

Quote from: ur on October 14, 2017, 05:10:58 pm
Is Memphis a team built by Fuente or are these Norvell's guys. Also, is this offense brought in by Norvell or a continuation of what Fuente did there?

That's been my question as well. Think we'll know more in 2-3 years.  That's why I mean Matt Campbell at this time.

HeyHogs

I have no idea but I see a lot of proven losers being posed on this thread.

RebHog

Quote from: TX HOG on October 14, 2017, 09:32:27 pm
That's been my question as well. Think we'll know more in 2-3 years.  That's why I mean Matt Campbell at this time.

Ya lets not get caught with our pants down again with a product of the system like we have now. If its a young HC on the rise it needs to be one that built it himself unlike daddy alvarez

Hawghiggs

That's why I keep pushing Mark Hudspeth on these threads.  He's not a up and coming coach. He's a man who has built and won at ULL.  That's what we need more than anything. Is someone who has actually built a program.

TX HOG

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 14, 2017, 09:39:49 pm
That's why I keep pushing Mark Hudspeth on these threads.  He's not a up and coming coach. He's a man who has built and won at ULL.  That's what we need more than anything. Is someone who has actually built a program.

Once again i haven't done extensive research on him. It is my understanding since his assistant that was caught and had to vacate wins his record has been meh. Was that because he was able to utilize players that were brought to the program illegally??

HiggiePiggy

Still waiting to hear that answer also.  His last 2 season were 4-8 and 6-7 and he is currently 3-3. After having 4 seasons of 9-4 then having 22 of those wins vacated because of cheating.  So why is he putting up terrible results now?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Bonehog

Just needs to be a coach who has a last name everyone can pronounce correctly from the beginning.
If you look at your reflection at the bottom of the well
What you see is only on the surface
When you try to see the meaning, hidden underneath
The measure of the depth can be deceiving
The bottom has a rocky reputation!
                      Joe Walsh

Hawghiggs

I gave a answer on the other thread. But I'll try my best again.

He does have ULL moving in the right direction. The NCAA investigated the ULL program during the 2014 season. That hurt the 2015 recruiting. So ULL goes 4-8 during the 2015 season. Every coach is entitled to a bad season now and again.  Hudspeth then took ULL to a 6-6 regular season record. A season in which they played both Boise State and Georgia. That is a 50% increase in wins. That's coaching.  This season he has ULL at 3-3. But he also has scheduled both Texas A&M and Ole Miss.

Matt Burks

How about Pete Carroll lol. I'm half ass joking, but isn't he friends with Jeff Long? Not that he'd leave the NFL. Seriously though, no one really excites me as a candidate other than maybe Brohm

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 14, 2017, 10:18:44 pm
  I gave a answer on the other thread. But I'll try my best again.

He does have ULL moving in the right direction. The NCAA investigated the ULL program during the 2014 season. That hurt the 2015 recruiting. So ULL goes 4-8 during the 2015 season. Every coach is entitled to a bad season now and again.  Hudspeth then took ULL to a 6-6 regular season record. A season in which they played both Boise State and Georgia. That is a 50% increase in wins. That's coaching.  This season he has ULL at 3-3. But he also has scheduled both Texas A&M and Ole Miss.

Do you seriously believe that Mark Hudspeth is the best we can do?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Justagp

Quote from: hogginbama on October 12, 2017, 10:00:35 am
Could it be that there were stipulations such as a non-compete clause with Franklin?
Could be 2 factors - James Franklin is from Pennsylvania and Jeff Long had his heart set on CBB.

ivebeentusked

When cerebral processes enter into sports, you start screwing up. It's like the Constitution, which says separate church and state. You have to separate mind and body. <br />~ Bill Lee ~

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Wildhog on October 14, 2017, 10:37:04 pm

I believe Mark Hudspeth is the correct guy for the job. What we can or can't do is irrelevant.  He's known as a program builder.( North Alabama and ULL ) and He is already known to recruit in Louisiana and Texas. Which are places we need someone to be connected to.

woodhog14

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 14, 2017, 11:02:51 pm
I believe Mark Hudspeth is the correct guy for the job. What we can or can't do is irrelevant.  He's known as a program builder.( North Alabama and ULL ) and He is already known to recruit in Louisiana and Texas. Which are places we need someone to be connected to.
No, no, no. No he is not.

cj_sez

I think one possibility could be Mike Bobo, currently HC at Colorado State. He was offensive coordinator under Richt at Georgia. Could be ready to return to the SEC. He might not be the "greatest" choice, but would be an improvement over Bielema.

ChicoHog

Quote from: cj_sez on October 14, 2017, 11:23:53 pm
I think one possibility could be Mike Bobo, currently HC at Colorado State. He was offensive coordinator under Richt at Georgia. Could be ready to return to the SEC. He might not be the "greatest" choice, but would be an improvement over Bielema.
He is a possibility.  Would be ironic since we play them the next two years.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on October 14, 2017, 10:37:04 pm
In the last five years, we have seen a lot of schools, that much better destinations than Arkansas, end up with similar or less at the HC position, even in many P5 positions.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 14, 2017, 11:58:30 pm
In the last five years, we have seen a lot of schools, that much better destinations than Arkansas, end up with similar or less at the HC position, even in many P5 positions.

And none of them have hired Mark Hudspeth.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hog and Eggs

Is there any chance we might give Enos a shot? It seems that he is respected. I remember a couple years ago when there were rumblings about Georgia wanting him as their OC.

HawgTide

Quote from: TX HOG on October 14, 2017, 09:32:27 pm

You mean the guy at Iowa St. that is starting his second year like Norvell? I like Campbell too but let's not act like he's lit the world on fire. At the end of the day we have to take a leap of faith on who is the best hire here at Arkansas

hogsmash12

Hawghiggs

Quote from: woodhog14 on October 14, 2017, 11:09:45 pm
No, no, no. No he is not.

Explain why? I have given many reasons why he should be.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on October 15, 2017, 12:09:05 am
Is there any chance we might give Enos a shot? It seems that he is respected. I remember a couple years ago when there were rumblings about Georgia wanting him as their OC.

Only if we average 70pts in our next 5 SEC games

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hoghiker on October 12, 2017, 08:49:47 am
Venables and Brohm both seem to me in high demand. Stars raising. Doubt either would be serious candidates for a potential Hog opening. 

Our last 2 head coaches came from the NFL and won 3 straight Big 10 championships.

You don't get much more high demand than that

SemperFi

Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

TX HOG

Quote from: HawgTide on October 15, 2017, 12:35:42 am
You mean the guy at Iowa St. that is starting his second year like Norvell? I like Campbell too but let's not act like he's lit the world on fire. At the end of the day we have to take a leap of faith on who is the best hire here at Arkansas

I think the two have very little in common. He was really good at Toledo and he didn't take over a good program at Iowa St. Norvell was left a decent program by Fuente. Campbell has more HC experience and had built a program and I think he's doing the same at Iowa St

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

parallaxpig

Probably going to be four openings in SEC alone so whoever we get will be way down on the list of desirable candidates.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

texasdvm

My approach to hiring the next coach would be to get it away from the institutional bureaucracy  of the U of A system.  It encourages conformity.  Coach Broyles had the will, intelligence and drive of an entrepreneur.  I would look for this type of man.  One who has cut his teeth under great mentors but has shown that he wants to get out and run his own program as soon as he can.  Look for a guy like Coach Broyles who is eager to lead and believes that all he needs is the opportunity.  Thus I am taking Veneables off my list.  I do not have a name in mind but I know we have to get rid of Jeff Long who is only going to hire a proven butt kisser to the Institutional hierarchy.  We need a real world AD who will get  a firebrand of a coach and turn him loose.  We gotta think different than just another coach.  Dave Van Horn started at Texarkana College just to get to start running his own program.  Got get a young guy who started where ever he had too and was successful.  Same goes for getting a new AD. Remember that the people at the top of the U of A like someone that they can control, not just hold accountable.  Alabama's stays out of Saban's way and Nick has the character to run his program in a way that is ethical and respectful to the administration.  He has never been under any sanctions from the NCAA that I know of.  I hope there is that kind of coach out there for us too.

Big_Red_1

My list would include these guys in order:

Scott Frost
Matt Campbell
Mike Norvell
Jeff Brohns
Blake Anderson
Major Applewhite
Venables

Not anything new but the order may surprise.

I'm fond of pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.   Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

OFTEN WRONG BUT NEVER IN DOUBT!!!

TX HOG

I fear frost is just holding out till NB offers and he gone

ipigsooie

We need to get after Norvell right now. Just spent some time reading boards of other sec schools that  are not happy with their coaching, including, tennesee, ole miss, florida, missouri and auburn, and every fan base has him at the top 3 of their list . I woukd think auburn and florida may give their hc one more year, but there is going to be a lot of competition for this guy. If he really wants to be here and this is his dream job, we better make it known that we want him sooner rather than later.

NashvilleHog

Norvell has just beaten 2 top-25 teams (UCLA and Navy) in the same season for the first time in Memphis history.  Yesterday was the first time they won against Navy in their history.   

No coach is going to win every game.  Norvell is winning at Memphis and has an exciting offense.  Somebody in the SEC is going to hire this guy.  I don't want to be playing against him, for sure. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

ipigsooie

Quote from: NashvilleHog on October 15, 2017, 12:10:31 pm
Norvell has just beaten 2 top-25 teams (UCLA and Navy) in the same season for the first time in Memphis history.  Yesterday was the first time they won against Navy in their history.   

No coach is going to win every game.  Norvell is winning at Memphis and has an exciting offense.  Somebody in the SEC is going to hire this guy.  I don't want to be playing against him, for sure.

Also dating back to laat year theyve never beaten 3 ranked teams in a row. Add houston from last year to this list. (Ucf wasnt ranked when they beat memphis)

latrops

Quote from: NashvilleHog on October 15, 2017, 12:10:31 pm

Don't try to sell him in part because he beat Navy.  Good teams and coaches should beat Navy.

Most will be happy with anyone other than Bielema.

ipigsooie

On the top of the Florida Gator board

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: ur on October 14, 2017, 05:35:02 pm

A coach like Norvell and a recruiting strategy that clones OU and Arkansas could be extremely competitive again.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 15, 2017, 12:47:58 pm
A coach like Norvell and a recruiting strategy that clones OU and Arkansas could be extremely competitive again.

I don't want the "recruiting" strategy of OU............you are forgetting how much they have cheated recruiting wise over the years. Heck they don't care if they are caught doing it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 15, 2017, 12:51:25 pm
I don't want the "recruiting" strategy of OU............you are forgetting how much they have cheated recruiting wise over the years. Heck they don't wane care if they are caught doing it.

This is a loser's mentality.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on October 15, 2017, 12:51:59 pm
This is a loser's mentality.

I've lived through a lot of both winning and losing in my years supporting and rooting for the Hogs. I admire the programs that want to try to win without blatantly cheating and rubbing the NCAA's nose in it. IF we have to cheat like they have done over the years at OU then no thanks. I'd rather take the losing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 15, 2017, 12:51:25 pm
I don't want the "recruiting" strategy of OU............you are forgetting how much they have cheated recruiting wise over the years. Heck they don't care if they are caught doing it.

I was mostly referring to location. Texas has been and always will be the key to our success along with keeping the best in state kids.

rhames

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 15, 2017, 12:43:41 pm
On the top of the Florida Gator board

You do realize that all of their lists are going to look like our lists and have a absolutely no impact on what will happen,  right?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 15, 2017, 12:54:45 pm
I was mostly referring to location. Texas has been and always will be the key to our success along with keeping the best in state kids.

I agree and also believe we need to recruit more and better in Texas.

ipigsooie

Quote from: rhames on October 15, 2017, 12:54:49 pm

You do realize that all of their lists are going to look like our lists and have a absolutely no impact on what will happen,  right?
Really? That is so insightful. I had no idea that the boards actually have little impact on what happens (or in your amazingly brilliant words, "a absolutely no impact"). Thank you for that brilliant response. I can now sit back and relieve myself of the pressure of knowing that jeff long is actually not reading my posts in hopes that i will be the one deciding who our next coach will be.

rhames

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 15, 2017, 01:08:29 pm
Really? That is so insightful. I had no idea that the boards actually have little impact on what happens (or in your amazingly brilliant words, "a absolutely no impact"). Thank you for that brilliant response. I can now sit back and relieve myself of the pressure of knowing that jeff long is actually not reading my posts in hopes that i will be the one deciding who our next coach will be.

Hey. You're the one running around like a chicken with its head cut off because other schools have the same wishlist as us 

Maybe log off and go outside. Get some fresh air!
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.