Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bob Stoops: "Arkansas would be excellent in the Big 12"

Started by Ben, October 11, 2017, 07:12:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidr295

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on October 12, 2017, 07:56:41 am
SEC basketball outside Arkansas and Kentucky is awful to watch.  I'm a huge basketball fan, but it's the truth. SEC basketball has been down for a long time.

Im the same way, I love my hog football; but college basketball is my favorite sport.

Davidr295

Quote from: riccoar on October 12, 2017, 07:50:28 am
If we were still in the Big 12 we would have been piling up cupcake wins.  That alone would probably still have certain clowns roaming the sidelines as coach.

No, Thanks.  I'll take pressing our program to be better by facing much tougher competition.

Who are the cupcakes?? Kansas in football....

riccoar

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 12, 2017, 08:11:17 am
Who are the cupcakes?? Kansas in football....
In the Big 12 you have 2 powerhouse programs.  Oklahoma and Texas.  Outside of that, the others are as fluid as Arkansas. 

Davidr295

Quote from: riccoar on October 12, 2017, 08:49:29 am
In the Big 12 you have 2 powerhouse programs.  Oklahoma and Texas.  Outside of that, the others are as fluid as Arkansas.

We have Bama and everyone else... What's your point

runninhog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:23:49 pm
I've posted this before and I'll post it again.  You could make a mighty fine conference with the states of Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Always felt that was a better fit for Arkansas, but they didn't ask me what i thought. lol

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Ben,

The reason we haven't had success was because of repeated bad decisions by the school and its "leaders."

The "You of A: repeatedly fails to realize that the key to its academic success is a consistently winning football program.

When you have one of those it brings notoriety to the university and the state and alumni have pride in the place they graduated from—it's really a cheap way of publicizing your school nationally. 

We are pikers at knowing how to butter our bread.

riccoar

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 12, 2017, 09:00:08 am
Wrong.  Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and LSU.  The SEC is by far a heavier conference.  6-6 in the SEC would be 8-4, 9-3 in the Big 12.

Ben

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 12, 2017, 05:46:01 am
Hate to break this to you but Nebraska is Big 10
I'm aware, but Nebraska went to 2 national titles in the Big 12
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Ben

I'm going to say this again.

In the past 10 years, Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, KANSAS, Kansas St, TCU, Baylor and Missouri have reached as high as #2 and controlled their destiny to a National title game.  I'm pretty sure they could have cared less about who or what the SEC was at that point. They were in the freakin title run.  We sure didn't care when we were in the SWC winning all the time lol

2007 LSU has Missouri to thank for losing in the Big 12 title or they never would have been in the championship.
2011 Alabama has to thank Oklahoma St for losing to Iowa St late or they never make the national title game
2012 Alabama has Kstate to thank for losing to Baylor and losing their #1 spot with Notre Dame behind them.

You can hype up the SEC, but some of the title teams that won during the streak won because there was a Big 12 team at #1 or #2 controlling their destiny and lost.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

Occams Razorback

Arkansas is a southern state and culture - we have ZERO in common with Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State et al

Distance is the ONLY thing that would be advantageous

We have been very successful in almost every other sport in the SEC and have more conference championships than anyone else in the SEC since we joined

If we left, eventually UT, OU and KU would find greener pastures and we'd be stuck at the kid's table

Your thoughts are well-intentioned, but this would be a suicidal move in my opinion
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

DeltaBoy

We are not moving to the Big 12 regardless of what Big game Bob Stoops says.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Occams Razorback on October 12, 2017, 01:25:17 pm
Arkansas is a southern state and culture - we have ZERO in common with Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State et al

We have been very successful in almost every other sport in the SEC and have more conference championships than anyone else in the SEC since we joined

If we left, eventually UT, OU and KU would find greener pastures and we'd be stuck at the kid's table

Your thoughts are well-intentioned, but this would be a suicidal move in my opinion

You've only had 3 posts, but.....  this post is so, so wise.....   please hang around here....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

The Hawg Marshal

You may have the best name on the board.

Occams Razorback

If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

holeinthewall

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 11, 2017, 07:41:55 pm
Why stop at the Big XII if we are quitters? Why not the Sunbelt.

Couldn't knock off the team that has won 5 of the last 6 Sun Belt titles.  But wait how could they do that when they won't play them.

jkstock04

I hate to say it, but culturally speaking NW Arkansas....where campus is, fits in much better with the Big 12.

Question, why would us joining automatically make Texas, OU, and Kansas leave the Big 12? That doesn't make sense to me but maybe I'm missing something.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Justifiable Hogicide

I could care less what Bob Stoops, who has long hated the SEC, says.

The Hawg Marshal

jkstock04

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on October 12, 2017, 02:19:23 pm
I'll never forget it wasn't very long after he made those disparaging comments towards the SEC when OU absolutely smoked Alabama in the postseason. Other than maybe 2008 that's gotta be one of the the worst if not the worst loss handed to a Nick Saban coached Bama team.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Davidr295

Yes one of the best coaches record wise in college football history has nothing better to do in retirement then try and take shots at the sec by arguing for Arkansas to join the Big 12..... Got it.

Tusks

The UA would need A/M, MO, NE & CO to go with them.  Then you'd have a pretty decent conference.

The hogs may end up with most of them anyway when they go to the 8 team pod system.  8, 8 team pods, 64 teams.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

gchamblee

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 12, 2017, 07:41:05 am
By some of you peoples logic Clemson and Ohio States recent championships don't count because they don't play in the Sec, guess what the record books say they are and the trophy is in their trophy cases. And there are no asterisks.

How has the B12 done in the playoffs?

gchamblee

Quote from: riccoar on October 12, 2017, 07:50:28 am
If we were still in the Big 12 we would have been piling up cupcake wins.  That alone would probably still have certain clowns roaming the sidelines as coach.

No, Thanks.  I'll take pressing our program to be better by facing much tougher competition.

Amen

gchamblee

Quote from: Ben on October 12, 2017, 11:04:31 am
I'm going to say this again.

In the past 10 years, Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, KANSAS, Kansas St, TCU, Baylor and Missouri have reached as high as #2 and controlled their destiny to a National title game.  I'm pretty sure they could have cared less about who or what the SEC was at that point. They were in the freakin title run.  We sure didn't care when we were in the SWC winning all the time lol

2007 LSU has Missouri to thank for losing in the Big 12 title or they never would have been in the championship.
2011 Alabama has to thank Oklahoma St for losing to Iowa St late or they never make the national title game
2012 Alabama has Kstate to thank for losing to Baylor and losing their #1 spot with Notre Dame behind them.

You can hype up the SEC, but some of the title teams that won during the streak won because there was a Big 12 team at #1 or #2 controlling their destiny and lost.

You're sure giving B12 teams a hard attaboy for losing there

AirWarren

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 12, 2017, 02:00:43 pm
I hate to say it, but culturally speaking NW Arkansas....where campus is, fits in much better with the Big 12.

Question, why would us joining automatically make Texas, OU, and Kansas leave the Big 12? That doesn't make sense to me but maybe I'm missing something.

Yes. That's correct. Nwa fits in more with Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska than it does with the true south.

gchamblee

You and I disagree here. I couldn't care less.

Hog-Corleone

If we were in the Big 12 right now, we would be bitching and moaning about CBB losing to Iowa, Iowa St, Kansas, and WV every year... 
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

AirWarren

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on October 12, 2017, 03:57:17 pm
If we were in the Big 12 right now, we would be bitching and moaning about CBB losing to Iowa, Iowa St, Kansas, and WV every year...

Iowa is big 10.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: OLPHog on October 11, 2017, 11:28:28 pm
Stoops got a tour of Fred Smith center today.  I wonder how ours compares to OU's.

Not as good as theirs.

OU moved into a new $160 million facility in May.  The following link has a 35 second video.  It takes a little bit for the video to appear (it appears after the first 2 sentences of the article).

http://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/ou-moves-into-new-football-facility/article_90c12da8-3b72-11e7-912b-bb9794c1c451.html

Here is another link with additional information.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=750323&SPID=127245&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211597936#SportsMedicine

factchecker

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 12, 2017, 04:48:55 pm
Not as good as theirs.

OU moved into a new $160 million facility in May.

$160 million dollars?

I bet there fans are pissed.  Probably mad because there aren't any seats for fans in that new facility.  Probably mad because they can afford the build a facility but can't afford to fix the roads.  Probably mad because the Sooners don't play enough football games in Oklahoma City.  Wait..... that's just how our fans react to facility improvements.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: factchecker on October 12, 2017, 05:14:50 pm
$160 million dollars?

I bet there fans are pissed.  Probably mad because there aren't any seats for fans in that new facility.  Probably mad because they can afford the build a facility but can't afford to fix the roads.  Probably mad because the Sooners don't play enough football games in Oklahoma City.  Wait..... that's just how our fans react to facility improvements.

You missed one,

Probably mad because they just lost to Iowa State.

Oh you were being sarcastic,

MuskogeeHogFan

I'll say this again...the only way that an Arkansas move to the Big 12 would make sense given the likelihood of its imminent demise in 2025 (if not before), would be if the Big 12 Commish and the Presidents of the schools got together and negotiated a deal with Fox/ESPN of such magnitude that they could offer SEC level revenue sharing and could somehow convince Nebraska, Missouri and A&M to rejoin the flock along with the addition of Arkansas. Maybe then, with a 14 team league, would the Big 12 survive.

They have already conducted a study in consideration of expansion that included the likes of Colorado State, Houston, Cincy, Memphis, UCF and USF and came to the conclusion that the addition of any number of these schools would not add sufficient t.v. revenues to make their addition worth the effort. So, because they are essentially on an island in terms of who they could add that would bring with them reasonable viewing power, they choose to do nothing.

If they continue this course this conference may break up in 2025 and that may actually be their plan, since they also agreed to not extend their GOR's Agreement for a longer term. Wouldn't you want to extend it if you intended to try to keep your conference together?

It would require an enormously great deal with the networks to be able to offer SEC level pay-outs to their member schools and with ESPN already bleeding money on the ill-advised LHN and losing money in other areas as well, it is a long shot to say that they would be willing to pony up that kind of money on the condition that the schools I mentioned above would agree to leave their current conferences and come to the Big 12.

So really, it may be fun to wish and hope, but the reality is that the money isn't there to draw those schools and Arkansas would be crazy to make that jump without the assurance of greater financial stability.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

I'll say this again...the only way that an Arkansas move to the Big 12 would make sense given the likelihood of its imminent demise in 2025 (if not before), would be if the Big 12 Commish and the Presidents of the schools got together and negotiated a deal with Fox/ESPN of such magnitude that they could offer SEC level revenue sharing and could somehow convince Nebraska, Missouri and A&M to rejoin the flock along with the addition of Arkansas. Maybe then, with a 14 team league, would the Big 12 survive.

They have already conducted a study in consideration of expansion that included the likes of Colorado State, Houston, Cincy, Memphis, UCF and USF and came to the conclusion that the addition of any number of these schools would not add sufficient t.v. revenues to make their addition worth the effort. So, because they are essentially on an island in terms of who they could add that would bring with them reasonable viewing power, they choose to do nothing.

If they continue this course this conference may break up in 2025 and that may actually be their plan, since they also agreed to not extend their GOR's Agreement for a longer term. Wouldn't you want to extend it if you intended to try to keep your conference together?

It would require an enormously great deal with the networks to be able to offer SEC level pay-outs to their member schools and with ESPN already bleeding money on the ill-advised LHN and losing money in other areas as well, it is a long shot to say that they would be willing to pony up that kind of money on the condition that the schools I mentioned above would agree to leave their current conferences and come to the Big 12.

So really, it may be fun to wish and hope, but the reality is that the money isn't there to draw those schools and Arkansas would be crazy to make that jump without the assurance of greater financial stability.

Yes, I agree. It would be an incredibly dumb move at this point.
Go Hogs Go!

TheRedBoarn

I concur 100%.  Arkansas football has no business being in the SEC.  It is for the big boys and clearly, we are not.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: factchecker on October 12, 2017, 05:14:50 pm
$160 million dollars?

Stoops probably was nice yesterday during his tour of our facility and probably kept his thoughts about our facility to himself.

Fred W. Smith Center   80,000 square foot   $40 million

OU Football Center   132,000 square foot   $160 million

Part of their 132,000 square foot center is a 32,582 square foot strength and conditioning facility which features a 70 yard indoor turfed speed and agility training area.

Ben

Quote from: gchamblee on October 12, 2017, 03:53:19 pm
You're sure giving B12 teams a hard attaboy for losing there
The point is simple. Whether you pump up the SEC or trash the Big 12, atleast a majority of their teams that has the same prestige as Arkansas have been in the drivers seat to go to the national title game. If they would have won, Saban would be stuck at 2 titles at Alabama.

Inhogswetrust

October 13, 2017, 05:34:49 am #137 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:45:02 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Davidr295 on October 12, 2017, 07:32:18 am
If your support relies on the hogs being in a specific conference, then you are not a real fan.

My support is based on a whole lot more since it's my Alma Mater. However just like my wife IF she made some rather disturbing or such stupid choices I'd divorce her even though I'd still love her, but my support of the rest of my family wouldn't waver. Going from the premier conference to one teetering on the precipice of existence and definitely a downgrade would be a choice so bad and stupid I'd have to reconsider my marriage to the athletic department in the form of giving up my season tickets. That doesn't mean I'd not still support the rest of the school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TheRedBoarn on October 12, 2017, 06:41:17 pm
I concur 100%.  Arkansas football has no business being in the SEC.  It is for the big boys and clearly, we are not.

Really. There are several program in it not considered "big" boys.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 12, 2017, 09:00:08 am

The SEC has had 4 schools since Arkansas joined win a NC in football. The little 12 has had 2.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ben on October 12, 2017, 10:54:02 am
I'm aware, but Nebraska went to 2 national titles in the Big 12

And with the exception of OU by beating up patsies.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 13, 2017, 05:40:55 am
And with the exception of OU by beating up patsies.

The problem with the patsies statement is in the SEC. That is what we have become. We make fun of Iowa state. But we've allowed ourselves to become that.

Pork Twain

North Arkansas has a lot more in common with Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma than it does Alabama, Mississippi and Florida
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Ben on October 11, 2017, 07:12:29 pm
"I just think they'd have an opportunity to really make a mark in the Big 12," Stoops said. "I think it would be good for the Big 12, but I also think it would be good for Arkansas when you talk about the landscape of things."
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/bob-stoops-says-arkansas-excellent-fit-big-12/

I have always said this. Minus the fact that the Big 12 is reaching a possible demise soon, Arkansas would have been perfect in the Big 12. Keep old rivalries, geographically easier, and less on the field disappointment like in the SEC currently.

Fans always hype the SEC and being in the strongest conference in America, but when we have to ride the coattails of other teams success instead of our own, then that's a problem. We are 89-115 in SEC play, and have no titles. The move to the SEC was strictly a money move and nothing else. Haven't really benefitted on the field any, minus a couple good seasons. All the bragging goes torwards the money and facilities Arkansas has (that the fans don't benefit from).

Meanwhile in the Big 12, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, and Missouri (when they were there) all have reached as high as #2 in the past 10 years and have controlled their destiny to a national title game. Kansas has won a major bowl game more recent than Arkansas.....  and Arkansas I know is a better program than all of those teams. They easily could have had that same success and honestly win 8-9 games a season just like they did in the SWC. Even possibly set themselves up for more major bowl games.

I'm all for wanting to compete with the best of the best. But 25 years in the SEC, the fanbase has been more disappointed, stressed, and embarrassed than anything else. I don't think it would have been that way in the Big 12. It just would have made more sense. Besides, continuing to play Texas every year probably would have been delightful. The LSU and Missouri rivalries felt forced.

This argument is horseshit... Go route for Bama and get your refund at the door. You cannot judge tomorrow on what has been. Trends are trends, because trendy little week people follow each other like sheep... If you want to change perception of Arkansas then YOU have to quit acting as if it is a lesser alternative to anything else. I've spent more time on campus in Tuscaloosa than I have in Fayetteville, and I promise you there is no desperate difference. Instead of looking back and measuring future success, look back and know what doesn't work, try again and move on.
The right hire will do wonders. Look at Patterson at TCU or no further than Petrino here.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 12, 2017, 04:48:55 pm
Not as good as theirs.

OU moved into a new $160 million facility in May.  The following link has a 35 second video.  It takes a little bit for the video to appear (it appears after the first 2 sentences of the article).

http://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/ou-moves-into-new-football-facility/article_90c12da8-3b72-11e7-912b-bb9794c1c451.html

Here is another link with additional information.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=750323&SPID=127245&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211597936#SportsMedicine

That's a good facility but I wouldn't say it's that much better. We are also building a new gameday facility.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 11, 2017, 09:33:28 pm
So we shouldn't leave for a better situation because people would call us quiters... Lol

So if you don't win in the big sandbox crawl back to the smaller one and bully those kids..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

AlmaHog2011

I have changed my mind. At this point we would be better off in the Big whatever it is now. But my friend graduated from Ok State and he says it's going to fold and he's worried where they will end up. So not really an option. If it was solid and Texas and OU were under control I would jump

jkstock04

Quote from: AP85 on October 12, 2017, 03:55:16 pm
Yes. That's correct. Nwa fits in more with Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska than it does with the true south.
The past few years I've started going to some away games...my goal is to go to every away venue in the SEC simply to see what it's like and to say I've been there. I'll get to the campus/stadium area a few hours before kickoff to walk around and check things out...maybe join in a tailgate if I get an invite (I was able to do this last week at South Carolina). What I'm realizing is the culture does seem different than Fayetteville. The more I travel around the less I feel we "belong" in the SEC, as bad as that sounds lol.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

NaturalStateReb

This would literally be the dumbest thing Arkansas could ever do.  It would be the college athletics equivalent of taking the last chopper into Saigon.

Just putting aside all of the positives of being in the SEC, here's the long and short:  the Big 12 will last only as long as Oklahoma and/or Texas want it to last.  There are already indications that OU doesn't want it to last much longer than 2023 or so.  If the B1G--or maybe even the SEC--offered OU a bid when the Big 12 grant of rights expires, they're going to jump.  Without OU, the Big 12 will come unstrung. 

You can bet that the SEC won't be taking Arkansas back if they leave.  Arkansas isn't going to get an invite from either the PAC or the B1G, while Texas is assured of landing anywhere it wants, probably.  That means that if Arkansas leaves the SEC, they risk getting marooned in an American-style conference with the likes of Baylor, K-State, Okie Light, and whatever else can be scraped together.  Who in their right mind would take that kind of a risk?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 13, 2017, 08:00:59 am
The past few years I've started going to some away games...my goal is to go to every away venue in the SEC simply to see what it's like and to say I've been there. I'll get to the campus/stadium area a few hours before kickoff to walk around and check things out...maybe join in a tailgate if I get an invite (I was able to do this last week at South Carolina). What I'm realizing is the culture does seem different than Fayetteville. The more I travel around the less I feel we "belong" in the SEC, as bad as that sounds lol.

There's a distinct Upper South/Deep South divide both in the South and the SEC.  Fayetteville feels a lot more like Knoxville, Lexington, Oxford, or Tuscaloosa than it does Baton Rouge, Gainesville, or College Station.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.