Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bob Stoops: "Arkansas would be excellent in the Big 12"

Started by Ben, October 11, 2017, 07:12:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

"I just think they'd have an opportunity to really make a mark in the Big 12," Stoops said. "I think it would be good for the Big 12, but I also think it would be good for Arkansas when you talk about the landscape of things."
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/bob-stoops-says-arkansas-excellent-fit-big-12/

I have always said this. Minus the fact that the Big 12 is reaching a possible demise soon, Arkansas would have been perfect in the Big 12. Keep old rivalries, geographically easier, and less on the field disappointment like in the SEC currently.

Fans always hype the SEC and being in the strongest conference in America, but when we have to ride the coattails of other teams success instead of our own, then that's a problem. We are 89-115 in SEC play, and have no titles. The move to the SEC was strictly a money move and nothing else. Haven't really benefitted on the field any, minus a couple good seasons. All the bragging goes torwards the money and facilities Arkansas has (that the fans don't benefit from).

Meanwhile in the Big 12, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, and Missouri (when they were there) all have reached as high as #2 in the past 10 years and have controlled their destiny to a national title game. Kansas has won a major bowl game more recent than Arkansas.....  and Arkansas I know is a better program than all of those teams. They easily could have had that same success and honestly win 8-9 games a season just like they did in the SWC. Even possibly set themselves up for more major bowl games.

I'm all for wanting to compete with the best of the best. But 25 years in the SEC, the fanbase has been more disappointed, stressed, and embarrassed than anything else. I don't think it would have been that way in the Big 12. It just would have made more sense. Besides, continuing to play Texas every year probably would have been delightful. The LSU and Missouri rivalries felt forced.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

RebelliousHog

With how our line plays, what makes you think they would play any better in the Big 12?

They got players too, ya know.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

ShadowHawg

Why stop at the Big XII if we are quitters? Why not the Sunbelt.

Cambridge Hog

Bob Stoops: Would be an excellent fit as Arkansas coach

If Bob wanted to coach football, I believe he could have stayed at Oklahoma unless his wife had decided against that for some reason. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on October 11, 2017, 07:59:56 pm
Bob Stoops: Would be an excellent fit as Arkansas coach

Except that he just said this week that he will never coach at any level again.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawghiggs

I've posted this before and I'll post it again.  You could make a mighty fine conference with the states of Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Hawghiggs

Stoops is not wrong. Arkansas in the Big 12 would be a great addition. The problem is the structure of the Big 12.  Now that the NCAA allows for smaller conferences to have championship games in football. What is the need to be a bloated conference? What about revenue and television?

David†

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:31:52 pm
Stoops is not wrong. Arkansas in the Big 12 would be a great addition. The problem is the structure of the Big 12.  Now that the NCAA allows for smaller conferences to have championship games in football. What is the need to be a bloated conference? What about revenue and television?

Maybe we could get an honorable mention on the LHN the week we would play them.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:49:51 pm
Maybe we could get an honorable mention on the LHN the week we would play them.

That would be awesome!!!!!!   ESPN will kill that at soon as they are able to.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Frank Broyles was very emphatic that Arkansas would not have been invited into the Big12.

It's absolutely silly talk to broach the subject.

Now if the Big12 is willing to pay us $500 Million to save their sorry conference then that's worth a listen but Jeff Long would be too dumb to take that kind of deal.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:23:49 pm
I've posted this before and I'll post it again.  You could make a mighty fine conference with the states of Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Need the Kansas schools so we can get some wins
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Davidr295

Quote from: Grunt on October 11, 2017, 07:19:13 pm
Quitting the SEC would be abject defeat.

Have you seen our record since joining the Sec... We are defeated more often than not

Davidr295

So we shouldn't leave for a better situation because people would call us quiters... Lol

grayhawg

The big 12 is probably going to be history in a few years, why go to a conference that is going to lose all its top schools.

Davidr295

My Arkansas gear says Arkansas, not SEC.... Who cares what power 5 conference we play in

Davidr295

Quote from: grayhawg on October 11, 2017, 09:34:39 pm
The big 12 is probably going to be history in a few years, why go to a conference that is going to lose all its top schools.

Says who... People that are blinded by their hate for Texas. Haven't heard one real reporter say anything close to that, just keyboard warriors

Davidr295

People been repeating this tired line since I was a little kid. Yet the conference is still very much alive and well.

The Hawg Marshal

Acehawg

Arkansas would've been invited to the Big 12.  To think otherwise is just stupid at this point. The agenda's around here get so old...

Davidr295

grayhawg

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 11, 2017, 09:37:51 pm
Says who... People that are blinded by their hate for Texas. Haven't heard one real reporter say anything close to that, just keyboard warriors
Long read but worth the time.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19743196/why-2023-next-big-date-conference-shuffling

Davidr295

Quote from: Acehawg on October 11, 2017, 09:42:49 pm
Arkansas would've been invited to the Big 12.  To think otherwise is just stupid at this point. The agenda's around here get so old...

I agree 100%. People care more about hateing Texas and chanting sec than winning

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 11, 2017, 09:43:11 pm
Yes let's kiss Alabama and auburns instead
We get the same league money that Alabama and Auburn do from Bowls and the SEC Network. Texas has their own network and they don't share the bowl money the same as the SEC. Texas runs that conference, thats why we left the old SWC.

sickboy

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 11, 2017, 09:41:01 pm
Go back to kissing Texas's ass?  No thanks.

Texas would need to be relevant again before they asked anyone to kiss their ass.

Davidr295

Quote from: grayhawg on October 11, 2017, 09:44:44 pm
Long read but worth the time.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19743196/why-2023-next-big-date-conference-shuffling

There was a lot of talk the world would end in 2012 too... Didn't happen. It's all hear say and conjecture by people with nothing better to talk about

David†

Quote from: sickboy on October 11, 2017, 09:48:45 pm
Texas would need to be relevant again before they asked anyone to kiss their ass.

They wouldn't ask, they expect it to happen. They are Texas after all.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: sickboy on October 11, 2017, 09:48:45 pm
They still run the conference, and they will be more relevant in the coming years.

Acehawg

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 08:23:49 pm

as in the below conference?   Oklahoma and OSU got out after only a few short years...  couldn't stand the heat I reckon....

Original SWC members:

Arkansas (1915–1991)
Baylor (1915–1996)
Oklahoma (1915–1919)
Oklahoma A&M (1915–1925)
Phillips (1920)
Rice (1915–1917 provisional, 1918–1996)
SMU (1918–1996)
Southwestern (1915–1916)
Texas (1915–1996)
Texas A&M (1915–1996)
TCU (1923–1996)

Later additions:

Texas Tech (1956–1996)
Houston (1972–1996)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jst01

After a couple years in big12, hog fans wouldn't care whether they were beating Kansas State or Miss State. Winning is winning. More of it is better. People need to realize we are a lil fish in a big boy pond. It is a fact that's supported by a quarter century of games.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Acehawg on October 11, 2017, 09:52:08 pm
Bama runs the SEC what's different?
It's not even close to the same. But y'all push for it all you want.

Acehawg

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 11, 2017, 09:59:34 pm
Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 11, 2017, 09:59:34 pm

If they dissolved the LHN it might be a better deal than we think.  But I'm on the fence either way.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Acehawg on October 11, 2017, 10:03:15 pm
If they dissolved the LHN it might be a better deal than we think.  But I'm on the fence either way.
That's my point they had  a Big 12 network but Texas went on their own and made their own network and the Big 12 network went bye bye.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 11, 2017, 10:08:37 pm
That's my point they had  a Big 12 network but Texas went on their own and made their own network and the Big 12 network went bye bye.

must be because Texas emits gold out of their collective arses.... at least in their mind...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hawghiggs

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 11, 2017, 09:54:20 pm
as in the below conference?   Oklahoma and OSU got out after only a few short years...  couldn't stand the heat I reckon....

Original SWC members:

Arkansas (1915–1991)
Baylor (1915–1996)
Oklahoma (1915–1919)
Oklahoma A&M (1915–1925)
Phillips (1920)
Rice (1915–1917 provisional, 1918–1996)
SMU (1918–1996)
Southwestern (1915–1916)
Texas (1915–1996)
Texas A&M (1915–1996)
TCU (1923–1996)

Later additions:

Texas Tech (1956–1996)
Houston (1972–1996)

Yeah. That's a lot of history. Now with the NCAA allowing a championship game with fewer than 12 members. The SWC could see a rebirth.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 11, 2017, 10:08:37 pm

It was Texas that wanted to build a Big 12 network first.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 11, 2017, 10:14:23 pm
It was Texas that wanted to build a Big 12 network first.
May be, but when they made their own network it killed the Big 12 network. Texas plays by their own rules and tells everybody else to kick rocks.

Tusks

The hogs are going to eventually end up in an 8 team pod (conference) anyway.  There will be 8, 8 team pods.  The top 64 schools in the country.  Then from that will be some scenario for expanded playoffs similar to the NFL with more teams.

So they may end up with OU, TX and some others in their 8 team pod.

I bet they do a lot of it geographical in nature.  The hogs are closer to the Cornhuskers in distance than 11 teams in the SEC.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The Hawg Marshal

I wonder why Big Game Bob , who hates the SEC, would want to "help" Arkansas by getting them to move to the Big 12.

factchecker

I've never really heard Stoops talk before.  He sounds like Gruden.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tusks

You gotta get A/M, MO, NE and CO to go too.  Punt WV.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 11, 2017, 07:41:55 pm
Why stop at the Big XII if we are quitters? Why not the Sunbelt.
we already quit the SWC. jeez, dude.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The Hawg Marshal

gchamblee

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 11, 2017, 09:33:28 pm
So we shouldn't leave for a better situation because people would call us quiters... Lol

First you would have to define better situation. If you consider having more wins against teams nobody respects then sure. Me personally, I'd rather be a middling in the SEC than the tallest midget in the B12. As for them controlling their destiny to get to the title game, you act like working your ass off rolling over mediocre teams just to get a shot at one of the teams we already play in conference is something special. We get a chance to do something every year that other teams may only get a shot at once every decade or 2. We get to play our way into that game by beating the teams everyone else just wants a shot at.

I don't consider it more prestigious to get rolled by bama in game 14 instead of game 6. When we were ranked in the top five a few years ago, we did it beating sec teams, not B12 teams. I take more pride in that. However, this is only my opinion.

gchamblee

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 11, 2017, 09:35:31 pm
My Arkansas gear says Arkansas, not SEC.... Who cares what power 5 conference we play in

I do. If we are going to be in a power 5 conference, let's be in the one that is most profitable with the most fair distribution of funds so that we can have some of the best facilities.

gchamblee

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 11, 2017, 09:43:11 pm
Yes let's kiss Alabama and auburns instead

We get equal and fair distribution of conference funds. We're Not kissing anyones ass in the SEC.

gchamblee

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 11, 2017, 09:45:46 pm
I agree 100%. People care more about hateing Texas and chanting sec than winning

If winning is your goal then the Sunbelt would be ideal. Plus we would have to play AState as a conference game which would put that debate to rest. I mean, if we are going to run from the hard teams why not run all the way?