Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bob Stoops: "Arkansas would be excellent in the Big 12"

Started by Ben, October 11, 2017, 07:12:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jkstock04

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 13, 2017, 08:10:27 am
This would literally be the dumbest thing Arkansas could ever do.  It would be the college athletics equivalent of taking the last chopper into Saigon.

Just putting aside all of the positives of being in the SEC, here's the long and short:  the Big 12 will last only as long as Oklahoma and/or Texas want it to last.  There are already indications that OU doesn't want it to last much longer than 2023 or so.  If the B1G--or maybe even the SEC--offered OU a bid when the Big 12 grant of rights expires, they're going to jump.  Without OU, the Big 12 will come unstrung. 

You can bet that the SEC won't be taking Arkansas back if they leave.  Arkansas isn't going to get an invite from either the PAC or the B1G, while Texas is assured of landing anywhere it wants, probably.  That means that if Arkansas leaves the SEC, they risk getting marooned in an American-style conference with the likes of Baylor, K-State, Okie Light, and whatever else can be scraped together.  Who in their right mind would take that kind of a risk?
Ya with this logic it makes sense...would be dumb to go to a conference that has a legit chance of not being there in 5 years.

Still sucks as a fan sometimes though. I can't get over Oklahoma state having twice the football program we do. Talk about a podunk cowtown...and geographically situated almost exactly like us. Top 20 team regularly and winning 10 games doesn't have to be once every 10 years.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 13, 2017, 08:16:04 am
Ya with this logic it makes sense...would be dumb to go to a conference that has a legit chance of not being there in 5 years.

Still sucks as a fan sometimes though. I can't get over Oklahoma state having twice the football program we do. Talk about a podunk cowtown...and geographically situated almost exactly like us. Top 20 team regularly and winning 10 games doesn't have to be once every 10 years.

I think it would be an incredibly entertaining conference.  There's no real reason why Middle America can't support a Power 5 football conference.  No reason other than Texas, anyway.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

BigBrandonAllenFan

I'd be for the switch.  Nothing in the SEC football world has ever gotten my blood going like Arkansas vs Texas week used to do.

They didn't call it "The game of the century" in 1969 for nothing.

hogcard1964

This is probably a stretch, but the other night someone on The SEC Channel was commenting about how the Big 12 was hoping to scrap the Long Horn Network in order to form a Big12 Network. Then the Big12 would invite Arkansas and Nebraska and offer quite a lot of money.

Two days later Bob Stoops says this. Hmmmmm?

It kind of sense.

Big 12 North

Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Kansas
Iowa St
Kansas St

Big 12 South

Arkansas
Texas
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 13, 2017, 09:00:06 am
This is probably a stretch, but the other night someone on The SEC Channel was commenting about how the Big 12 was hoping to scrap the Long Horn Network in order to form a Big12 Network. Then the Big12 would invite Arkansas and Nebraska and offer quite a lot of money.

It kind of sense.

Big 12 North

Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Kansas
Iowa St
Kansas St

Big 12 South

Arkansas
Texas
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

I would love it, and I bet Nebraskans would too.

hogcard1964

BigBrandonAllenFan

gchamblee

Quote from: Ben on October 12, 2017, 07:01:45 pm
The point is simple. Whether you pump up the SEC or trash the Big 12, atleast a majority of their teams that has the same prestige as Arkansas have been in the drivers seat to go to the national title game. If they would have won, Saban would be stuck at 2 titles at Alabama.

No you're missing the point. We are in the drivers seat every year as well. All we have to do is win. Wanting to be in the B12 is worth discussion, until your reason is because you're scared of competition.

gchamblee

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 13, 2017, 07:26:59 am
So if you don't win in the big sandbox crawl back to the smaller one and bully those kids..?

Pretty cowardly isnt it. However, I didn't have to read this thread to figure out who the cowards are on this board.

gchamblee

It kind of sense.

Big 12 North

Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Kansas
Iowa St
Kansas St

Big 12 South

Arkansas
Texas
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

That would be a boring conference with only a few games worth watching each season.

DLUXHOG

It kind of sense.

Big 12 North

Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Kansas
Iowa St
Kansas St

Big 12 South

Arkansas
Texas
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

Sounds like the "Big SWC"....(except for West Virginia, but one could consider adding Rice, Houston, & SMU into the mix) ;)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Cambridge Hog

Like it if the LHN is scrapped and the money is comparable to SEC. Proximity to these schools is so much better.

DLUXHOG

It kind of sense.

Big 12 North

Arkansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Kansas
Iowa St
Kansas St

Big 12 South

Arkansas
Texas
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia
Houston
SMU
Rice

Does that look a little better?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 13, 2017, 08:00:59 am
The past few years I've started going to some away games...my goal is to go to every away venue in the SEC simply to see what it's like and to say I've been there. I'll get to the campus/stadium area a few hours before kickoff to walk around and check things out...maybe join in a tailgate if I get an invite (I was able to do this last week at South Carolina). What I'm realizing is the culture does seem different than Fayetteville. The more I travel around the less I feel we "belong" in the SEC, as bad as that sounds lol.

What makes you think the "culture" in any conference is the same across their respective footprints. It isn't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Murr

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 11, 2017, 09:21:44 pm
Frank Broyles was very emphatic that Arkansas would not have been invited into the Big12.

It's absolutely silly talk to broach the subject.

Now if the Big12 is willing to pay us $500 Million to save their sorry conference then that's worth a listen but Jeff Long would be too dumb to take that kind of deal.

Very true.  Frank Broyles looked into Arkansas joining the Big 8, with a few additions from the SWC but the Big 8 didn't want us. (IIRC Nebraska was opposed to us). 

Ideally back in the early 1990's, being in a Big 12 with the Big 8 plus us, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech would have been nice.  Sadly, Oklahoma and Nebraska would still have their historic yearly rivalry omitted due to being in different divisions.  Texas would still further neuter Nebraska's football program by removing the Prop 48 players it relied on.  Unequal revenue sharing and a commissioner in the hip pocket of Deloss Dodds would still have lead to the realignments in the early 2010's, except this time with Arkansas looking for a safe landing spot.

A half billion dollars would never be offered for us to join the Big 12.  Major changes would be needed for Arkansas to even consider joining them.  New leadership in Texas might have a different outlook when all the realignment rumors return in the early 2020's as all the major college football TV contracts are up for negotiation.  The SEC's Tier 1 contract, CBS' game of the week a.k.a. pick of the litter, will hit the open market.  To maximize that contract we would need to add a football blue blood or two.  Oklahoma, Texas, even Nebraska could add to great value to that contract. The ACC schools are off limits as they extended their GOR's until the mid 2030's due to the launching of the ACC Network.

Iwastherein1969

all Arkansas' experience in the SEC since Saban arrived is the following....take a guess who is Saban/Alabama and who Bert/Arkansas is in this photo...        My Daddy can beat up your Daddy...that's all we are in the SEC, or for that fact, in any conference.. the worst coaching in the country recruiting below average players...what a cocktail for success...thank God JFB doesn't have to live through watching this crap     
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Pa-Paw

I wonder if the athletic leadership change that has taken place down at Texas is due to lesions learned. No doubt it, under Deloss Dodds, Texas pushed its weight around and essentially forced first Arkansas, followed by Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Missouri to go elsewhere. Just looking at it in a neutral way, I don't see how anyone has greatly benefited from the separations. It could be argued that not any of those schools was as competitive after moving to new conferences. For certain, "every conference" has its big dog schools that use their influence and politics to advantage. It would be great for college football if the schools could form up again in mutual benefit. That said, it was a history of over leveraging on Texas part. Can you trust them to have learned their lesions?

Murr

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 13, 2017, 06:07:01 pm
all Arkansas' experience in the SEC since Saban arrived is the following....take a guess who is Saban/Alabama and who Bert/Arkansas is in this photo...        My Daddy can beat up your Daddy...that's all we are in the SEC, or for that fact, in any conference.. the worst coaching in the country recruiting below average players...what a cocktail for success...thank God JFB doesn't have to live through watching this crap   

You are assuming Saban is a nurturing lion 🦁

Arky

Quote from: Murr on October 13, 2017, 05:58:02 pm
Very true.  Frank Broyles looked into Arkansas joining the Big 8, with a few additions from the SWC but the Big 8 didn't want us. (IIRC Nebraska was opposed to us). 

Ideally back in the early 1990's, being in a Big 12 with the Big 8 plus us, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech would have been nice.  Sadly, Oklahoma and Nebraska would still have their historic yearly rivalry omitted due to being in different divisions.  Texas would still further neuter Nebraska's football program by removing the Prop 48 players it relied on.  Unequal revenue sharing and a commissioner in the hip pocket of Deloss Dodds would still have lead to the realignments in the early 2010's, except this time with Arkansas looking for a safe landing spot.

A half billion dollars would never be offered for us to join the Big 12.  Major changes would be needed for Arkansas to even consider joining them.  New leadership in Texas might have a different outlook when all the realignment rumors return in the early 2020's as all the major college football TV contracts are up for negotiation.  The SEC's Tier 1 contract, CBS' game of the week a.k.a. pick of the litter, will hit the open market.  To maximize that contract we would need to add a football blue blood or two.  Oklahoma, Texas, even Nebraska could add to great value to that contract. The ACC schools are off limits as they extended their GOR's until the mid 2030's due to the launching of the ACC Network.
damn murr, who hacked ur account

MuskogeeHogFan

It kind of sense.

Big 12 North

Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Kansas
Iowa St
Kansas St

Big 12 South

Arkansas
Texas
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

I doubt that Nebraska or Arkansas would switch for that set-up. But maybe this:

North
Nebraska
Iowa State
Missouri
Kansas
K-State
Arkansas or Oklahoma State
W. Virginia

South
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State or Arkansas
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas

It would take those defections to put together a big enough media package to pay out SEC level revenues and even that line-up might not do it. And, leaving the SEC with the financial deal that we have now, would be a roll of the dice. Written guarantees for a minimum payout for something like 10 years would have to be in place for it to make any sense to leave. I doubt that any network is going to cut that deal, but you never know.

And don't think that the SEC is going to stand idly by and watch 3 of their 14 teams defect.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawghiggs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 13, 2017, 07:16:49 pm

North
Nebraska
Iowa State
Missouri
Kansas
K-State
W. Virginia

South
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas

It would take those defections to put together a big enough media package to pay out SEC level revenues and even that line-up might not do it. And, leaving the SEC with the financial deal that we have now, would be a roll of the dice. Written guarantees for a minimum payout for something like 10 years would have to be in place for it to make any sense to leave. I doubt that any network is going to cut that deal, but you never know.

And don't think that the SEC is going to stand idly by and watch 3 of their 14 teams defect.

That's the thing Muskogee. We don't have to have these gigantic conferences anymore. When the NCAA okayed a championship game with less than 12 members. It signaled the end of adding members that don't actually bring much value. So a nine member conference with a championship game and its own network. Could possibly generate what the SEC is paying out.

Letsroll1200

North
Nebraska
Iowa State
Missouri
Kansas
K-State
W. Virginia

South
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas

A&M will not leave the SEC.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 13, 2017, 11:00:17 pm
A&M will not leave the SEC.

Oh, I got it and I understand, but that really is my whole point. Arkansas, Missouri nor A&M is going to leave the SEC for the sinking Big 12. Why would they? Texas would have to lose a lot of their influence, a lonnnng term media agreement of gigantic proportions would have to be negotiated and signed and equal revenue sharing would have to be agreed to for any of those three schools, let alone bringing Nebraska back from the Big Ten, to put that conference together and that is why threads like this are just things to pass the time and nothing more. It will not happen.

And come 2022-2024, prior to the expiration of the current Big 12 GOR's in 2025, we will probably see Big 12 teams looking for a new home...the next round of expansion.
Go Hogs Go!

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 13, 2017, 04:41:16 pm
Sounds like the "Big SWC"....(except for West Virginia, but one could consider adding Rice, Houston, & SMU into the mix) ;)
This.  Just another SWC.  AR vs TX every week.  No upside in this layout for us. 
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Qui Gon Jinn

North
Nebraska
Iowa State
Missouri
Kansas
K-State
W. Virginia

South
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas

aTm isn't leaving the SEC to go back to playing TX.  They have settled into the SEC just fine and have no reason to leave.  They would have to force them to leave.

Agreed.  The SEC isn't going to let 3 teams just walk away.  Not saying that we would be the ones they would fight to keep, but its not going to be an easy split.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 14, 2017, 08:27:26 am
Oh, I got it and I understand, but that really is my whole point. Arkansas, Missouri nor A&M is going to leave the SEC for the sinking Big 12. Why would they? Texas would have to lose a lot of their influence, a lonnnng term media agreement of gigantic proportions would have to be negotiated and signed and equal revenue sharing would have to be agreed to for any of those three schools, let alone bringing Nebraska back from the Big Ten, to put that conference together and that is why threads like this are just things to pass the time and nothing more. It will not happen.

And come 2022-2024, prior to the expiration of the current Big 12 GOR's in 2025, we will probably see Big 12 teams looking for a new home...the next round of expansion.

Wonder what the money is going to be like at the table of the next round of negotiations, up or down?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 14, 2017, 09:11:34 am
Wonder what the money is going to be like at the table of the next round of negotiations, up or down?

For whom? The SEC, Big 12 or all conferences in general?
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 14, 2017, 09:13:40 am
From ESPN contracts in general.

That's a good question. Might be more networks getting into the negotiations if ESPN can't get their act together from a financial standpoint.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawghiggs

No one is going to leave for the Big 12. It's a slow dying conference. But that doesn't mean that OU and Texas are going to join a different conference either. They will push to form a new conference  ( New SWC? ).  The LHN and ESPN's media deal should be close to ending by then. Which ESPN will not renew.  This will lead to a SWC network much like the ACC has.

( New SWC )

1, Arkansas
2, Kansas
3, New Mexico ( LSU? Maybe? Doubtful?)
4, Oklahoma
5, Oklahoma state
6, TCU
7, Texas
8, Texas A&M
9, Texas Tech

elkhog

Quote from: Grunt on October 11, 2017, 07:19:13 pm
Quitting the SEC would be abject defeat.

^This^

You play the best to be the best.   
GO HOGS!!!

gchamblee

Quote from: elkhog on October 14, 2017, 10:28:52 am
^This^

these snowflakes dont care about being good. they would take undefeated seasons over community college teams if it were possible.

Backcountryhog

Stoops is totally correct. We have NEVER had any business in the SEC. it would put us on an equal playing field in recruiting especially. We will NEVER get the players Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, etc get every year. We've NEVER sniffed a conference title without someone on probation.
Screw Texas

gchamblee

Quote from: Backcountryhog on October 14, 2017, 10:58:32 am
Stoops is totally correct. We have NEVER had any business in the SEC. it would put us on an equal playing field in recruiting especially. We will NEVER get the players Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, etc get every year. We've NEVER sniffed a conference title without someone on probation.

whatever mr 4 post genius

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Backcountryhog on October 14, 2017, 10:58:32 am

There are a ton of reasons why we shouldn't be over there, some dating all the way back to the last of our time in the old SWC. All of that is listed above if you care to read it.
Go Hogs Go!

David†

Is Arkansas the only team that doesn't belong in the SEC? I don't hear USCe wanting to leave. Mizzou couldn't wait to get in it. Vandy? Kentucky? No they can't leave they're originals. Its pathetic.

Ben

Quote from: gchamblee on October 13, 2017, 04:32:57 pm
No you're missing the point. We are in the drivers seat every year as well. All we have to do is win. Wanting to be in the B12 is worth discussion, until your reason is because you're scared of competition.
Any team in the P5 can say that. Any P5 team that wins out is already in contention of a playoff birth, but that not the point. What I mean by drivers seat is when the BCS era only took 2 teams and you were ranked #1 or #2 in the nation. If you didn't lose, you were on your way to the BCS title game. Arkansas has Never been ranked #2 in their stint in the SEC during the BCS era. But all those Big 12 schools I mentioned have
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Ben

Quote from: elkhog on October 14, 2017, 10:28:52 am
^This^

That's what the national title is for. Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska had no issue playing in the national title game being from the Big 12.
Like I said, Alabama has Oklahoma St and Kansas ST to thank for losing late in the season as a top 2 team and allowing them to climb to the #2 spot in 2011 and 2012. So to heck with this SEC coattail-riding pride some of our fans have.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

Ben

Quote from: gchamblee on October 14, 2017, 10:57:08 am

these snowflakes dont care about being good. they would take undefeated seasons over community college teams if it were possible.
Being good? Arkansas has a 40% winning percentage in the past 25 years in the SEC and averages a 3-5 conference record LOL. Nearly every Big 12 team has seen the Top 2 in the past 10 years and controlled their destiny to a title game late in the season. I'm pretty sure they didn't care about conference pride.

What's more snowflakish is having pride in riding the coattails of other teams success like it's your own.

David†

What's dumb is thinking you're going to magically have a top 5 football team by simply switching conferences.

David†

You could probably medal in the special Olympics, but does that make you good?

Backcountryhog

I lived in Texas for 30 years folks. The simple truth is there are single high school districts in Houston and Dallas with more division 1 talent than the states of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, Colorado combined. We are simply over matched year in and year out folks. Simply put the U of A is getting richer while we the fans suffer. And I don't need to be insulted for a differing opinion than some others. We are supposed to be fans not keyboard punks making stupid comments behind a keyboard. 
Screw Texas

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Backcountryhog on October 14, 2017, 03:35:27 pm
I lived in Texas for 30 years folks. The simple truth is there are single high school districts in Houston and Dallas with more division 1 talent than the states of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, Colorado combined............. 

Bingo!   And DFW has the largest UofA alumni membership in the US....   there is absolutely no reason why the Razorbacks are not king of recruiting in DFW (nations 4th largest MSA)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Backcountryhog on October 14, 2017, 03:35:27 pm
I lived in Texas for 30 years folks. The simple truth is there are single high school districts in Houston and Dallas with more division 1 talent than the states of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, Colorado combined. We are simply over matched year in and year out folks. Simply put the U of A is getting richer while we the fans suffer.

Which has what to do with what? Since you didn't quote anyone, what are you referring to?
Go Hogs Go!

Backcountryhog

It has EVERYTHING to do with my argument. Recruiting is our one and only problem. The schools I mentioned get more 5 star recruits every year than we do in 10 years. It's really that simple. We have been beating our heads against a wall since joining the SEC. Eventually you have to except we will never consistently compete. High school football in Texas, Georgia, Florida, Alabama is just at a different level than here in Arkansas. We would be better served recruiting against the Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas St. Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado's etc. of the world.
Screw Texas

gchamblee

Quote from: Ben on October 14, 2017, 01:48:10 pm
Being good? Arkansas has a 40% winning percentage in the past 25 years in the SEC and averages a 3-5 conference record LOL. Nearly every Big 12 team has seen the Top 2 in the past 10 years and controlled their destiny to a title game late in the season. I'm pretty sure they didn't care about conference pride.

What's more snowflakish is having pride in riding the coattails of other teams success like it's your own.

we get it. you think the B12 is better than the SEC. i disagree.

Torqued pork

The PTB are obligated to do what's best for the school first. Leaving the SEC for the Big XII would be like taking your life's savings and putting it in a bank with a unstable history and uncertain future. Don't let frustration make you stupid.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Backcountryhog on October 14, 2017, 04:53:21 pm
It has EVERYTHING to do with my argument. Recruiting is our one and only problem. The schools I mentioned get more 5 star recruits every year than we do in 10 years. It's really that simple. We have been beating our heads against a wall since joining the SEC. Eventually you have to except we will never consistently compete. High school football in Texas, Georgia, Florida, Alabama is just at a different level than here in Arkansas. We would be better served recruiting against the Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas St. Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado's etc. of the world.

I think you are operating under the premise that just because we move to the Big 12 that we improve our recruiting. I think that is false.

We already recruit Texas and so does all of the teams that we would have to face in the Big 12. They are already established. We have the draw of being in the SEC and that hasn't made that much of a difference in Texas recruiting because A&M is swooping up all of the more highly ranked talent. They have improved in recruiting since joining the SEC and have taken a lot of talent away from Texas.

You seem to forget, we aren't going without Missouri and A&M as a minimum and that does nothing to improve our recruiting ranking.

We are not moving to the Big 12 without all of the things happening that I mentioned well above this post and those are unlikely. So why keep arguing an unrealistic viewpoint?
Go Hogs Go!

Tusks

Okie Lite recruits TX better than the Hogs.  No way, no how, they should be able to do that.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Backcountryhog

I think you are operating under the premise that just because we move to the Big 12 that we improve our recruiting. I think that is false.

Nope I don't believe we'd recruit one bit better by moving to the big 12. We'd be able to recruit at the same level as our conference opponents for the first time since 1991. I stand by my statement. We are bringing a knife to a gun fight every year in the SEC. In simple terms, WE ARE IN OVER OUR HEADS.
Screw Texas