Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Biggest indictment of the Bret Bielema era

Started by Piggie Smalls, October 11, 2017, 05:29:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggie Smalls

This week's matchup with the Tide serves as a reminder that BB's biggest accomplishment as the Hogs head coach came in a loss. The fact is that 4-plus years into his tenure his biggest on-field feat wasn't a win, but a 1-point loss to Alabama his 2nd year (a Bama team that didn't even win the national championship). I mean other than that, what other defining moment can you point to? I mean at this point most Hogs fans would kill for a close loss against Bama, and the fact that to date Bielema has no signature wins, just a signature loss, serves as big an indictment as anything that he hasn't gotten the job done yet (and probably never will).

The Hawg Marshal

BroyledNutts

If you really want to squeeze blood out of a turnip, you could give him credit for finally beating Florida in football. Granted, it may have been more about Florida sucking at the time than Brett guiding the Hogs to a win, but there are those who would point to that win as a small triumph.

HognitiveDissonance

The biggest indictment of the CBB era would be going 0-8 in the SEC in 2013.
Arkansas had never had a winless season in the SEC before; even the 1992 team that lost to the Citadel managed to win three games and upset #4 Tennessee on the road.

The tell-tale signs of poor coaching were evident that year:
1)Losing a 24-7 lead in the 2nd half to Rutgers (sound familiar?)
2)Losing at home to Miss St by fumbling on the 9-yard line late in the game
3)Losing at home to an Ole Miss team 31-30
4)Allowing LSU to 99 yards in two plays with under 2 minutes left to steal a 31-27 win.

All these 'pulling defeat from the jaws of victory' things have repeated themselves each year, but they were there in Year 1. It's just that most people overlooked it by saying 'it's only Year 1, who cares?'

Going 0-8 in the SEC is a huge red flag.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 11, 2017, 05:33:52 pm
"I Came Here To Beat Bama"

- Bama favored by 30

That will be innerwebs classic forever.
This is my non-signature signature.

Tusks

"My Big10 record is better than Saban's Big10 record".

That jewel, like most all of them really isn't aging well.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

moses_007

Yeah, and victory would have been ours in that Bama game had our running back not dropped the ball at the goal line.

davglo35

Iowa State was 30.5 pt. dogs to Oklahoma last week and defied the odds and beat the #3 team in the country. What are the Hogs chances of pulling something like this with Bielema at the helm? Zero! Notta! Zilch! It won't even be anything resembling competitive.
Even if the hogs make it semi close in the first half Saban will make adjustments and Bielema won't because he is either incapable of doing it or just too dam stubborn.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 12, 2017, 12:03:28 am
Arkansas had never had a winless season in the SEC before; even the 1992 team that lost to the Citadel managed to win three games and upset #4 Tennessee on the road.

4)Allowing LSU to 99 yards in two plays with under 2 minutes left to steal a 31-27 win.

All these 'pulling defeat from the jaws of victory' things have repeated themselves each year, but they were there in Year 1. It's just that most people overlooked it by saying 'it's only Year 1, who cares?'

Wonderful recap of the Bielema era at Arkansas. As you say, there were many signs that first year but per usual, 90% of the fanbase overlooked it totally and blamed every bad thing that happened on John L Smith. Your list along with the fact that Bielema is 0-16 at Arkansas when behind at the half says it all about Bielema. I say this Ark job has killed his career at any half way major P5 program. If he is ever a head coach again at a P5 program, it will be at an Indiana, Illnois, or Kansas type program. One with little to no expectations and little to no winning tradition that thinks it can maybe upgrade a bit by taking a flyer on Bielema. His contract will be for less than half the pay he receives now from Ark.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Razorbackers

Come on, let's not pretend that we didn't have some good wins under Bielema.

Florida
Tennessee on the road
TCU OT on the road
The Ole Miss wins, especially on the road in OT
Winning in Death Valley

He's going to be fired, but it's not like we never won anything. That 2015 team was fun to watch. The biggest indictment of Bret is probably his consistent ability to lose to lesser teams in those first couple of years. If we had just taken care of business vs Toledo....ugh.

Anyway, carry on.

LRRandy

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 12, 2017, 09:45:57 am

Florida
Tennessee on the road
TCU OT on the road
Winning in Death Valley

He's going to be fired, but it's not like we never won anything. That 2015 team was fun to watch. The biggest indictment of Bret is probably his consistent ability to lose to lesser teams in those first couple of years. If we had just taken care of business vs Toledo....ugh.

Anyway, carry on.
thumping Texas in the bowl game is also high on that list
This is fun, isn't it.

Been10Hog

Amazed at the youth on here! Clearly to Old School Razorback fans the greatest accomplishment was destroying Texas in the "Texas Bowl" and forever defining the true meaning of  ::hornsdown:: as -2 yards rushing

Razorbackers

Quote from: LRRandy on October 12, 2017, 09:48:45 am
thumping Texas in the bowl game is also high on that list

In terms of eroticness, I would say it was borderline.

Hoggish1

Quote from: BroyledNutts on October 11, 2017, 05:35:08 pm
If you really want to squeeze blood out of a turnip, you could give him credit for finally beating Florida in football. Granted, it may have been more about Florida sucking at the time than Brett guiding the Hogs to a win, but there are those who would point to that win as a small triumph.

It was a triumph, but who knew that the Swamp Donkey really wasn't a good coach?  Florida will be looking for a new coach. Nobody thought that Mklwne would fall on his face there, but he has.

HawgTrough

Quote from: davglo35 on October 12, 2017, 01:59:39 am
Iowa State was 30.5 pt. dogs to Oklahoma last week and defied the odds and beat the #3 team in the country. What are the Hogs chances of pulling something like this with Bielema at the helm? Zero! Notta! Zilch! It won't even be anything resembling competitive.
Even if the hogs make it semi close in the first half Saban will make adjustments and Bielema won't because he is either incapable of doing it or just too dam stubborn.

Yep. If ARK came out and looked great, hitting a bunch of scripted plays and somehow head into halftime with a 17-14 lead.... The final score would be 49-17
WPS

theFlyingHog

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Florida
Tennessee on the road
TCU OT on the road
Winning in Death Valley

Anyway, carry on.
And we've had just as many bad losses
Toledo
The UGA blowout in Little rock (we made the score look better against their backups)
56-3 Aurburn home loss
All the A&M collapses
the Va Tech collapse
The blown mizzou wins
The blown 17 point lead at Rutgers

I will say, however, that 2014 game where ran all over texas tech was a thing of beauty. That game embodied the philosophy the bielema had when he came here. Somewhere along the way things changed
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

oldhog63

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 11, 2017, 05:33:52 pm
"I Came Here To Beat Bama"

- Bama favored by 30
The game hasn't been played yet...although I don't think we have a snowball's chance.

Seebs

"I said brown gravy. get out of my site'

- CBB at The Ponderosa, 1979
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Seebs on October 12, 2017, 10:20:05 am
"I said brown gravy. get out of my site'

- CBB at The Ponderosa, 1979
Since coming to the UA the man has eaten himself silly. Dude has to be pushing 5 bills.  He has morphed from Bret to Bert (less energy than Jebbers Bush) all because of the taste of the hush puppies at this place....   
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 12, 2017, 10:29:57 am
Since coming to the UA the man has eaten himself silly. Dude has to be pushing 5 bills.  He has morphed from Bret to Bert (less energy than Jebbers Bush) all because of the taste of the hush puppies at this place....   

I feel like starting a real fight

Catfish Hole is overrated

Dwight_K_Shrute

If I were Bret I'd leave based on the simple fact that I've been the coach for 5 years and people still add an extra T at the end of my name.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The NewEra

IMO, here are the biggest problems.  The best of the Bielema era ended in his third year.  Since then we've seen a team that folds often in the second half, plays with low to no intensity as the game goes on, physicality no longer exist, inability to develop his own players, since it all starts on the line of scrimmage the past two years would be a total failure on the offensive line.  We have consistent years of terribly slow starts.  Player issues that he's stated are easily corrected don't get corrected.  Comments like we are going to get the ball in that playmakers hands more don't actually happen on the field.

There were some real exciting wins in year two and three that made us believe the program was moving in the right direction.  After the TCU game last year (where we yet again gave up a lead in the second half but finally came back to win one) there hasn't been signs that the program has been in an upward trajectory, yet a downward spiral.

HognitiveDissonance

Florida
Tennessee on the road
TCU OT on the road
Winning in Death Valley

Anyway, carry on.
Yes we have.
I would put beating Florida #1...we had never beat Florida in the SEC.

In 2015, everything was on track.

I fully expected when he took the job that a)we would definitely drop off from Petrino levels and b) we would find Nutt levels of success
Nutt 2.0
I'm not an HDN basher, so that wasn't a derogatory comment. HDN did a nice job here, and I expected CBB to do about the same.
The 2015 season was a typical HDN season. 8-5, with a nice bowl win. Nutt 'averaged' 7.5 wins over 10 years, so it appeared in 2015 that CBB was right on my expected course.

I'm not sure why things have imploded, but they have.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 12, 2017, 12:03:28 am

+1, agreed his first year there were so many red flags that screamed this wouldn't work. Ultimately, it didn't. A better HC would of went 2-2 in those four games. At least win one. 
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

LRHawg

For me, the Florida win was the biggest. We hadn't beaten them since joining the SEC and we needed some payback for the ref job we received in 2009.

Razorbackers

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 12, 2017, 10:53:00 am
Yes we have.
I would put beating Florida #1...we had never beat Florida in the SEC.

In 2015, everything was on track.

I fully expected when he took the job that a)we would definitely drop off from Petrino levels and b) we would find Nutt levels of success
Nutt 2.0
I'm not an HDN basher, so that wasn't a derogatory comment. HDN did a nice job here, and I expected CBB to do about the same.
The 2015 season was a typical HDN season. 8-5, with a nice bowl win. Nutt 'averaged' 7.5 wins over 10 years, so it appeared in 2015 that CBB was right on my expected course.

I'm not sure why things have imploded, but they have.

Well, I don't think that BP was going to maintain 10 win seasons. That 2012 team could have maybe gotten there with some luck, but there was assuredly about to be a drop. Not trying to discredit what he did here, though.

And yeah, 2015 I was amped. I was prepared for a drop in 2016 while we replaced basically everyone off the offense, but 2017 was going to be a good year. Nice schedule, USC and Miz in the east, etc. The collapse is mind boggling to me. Go back and watch those 2014 and 2015 teams, and even when they were outmatched, they played super hard and never quit. I distinctly remember saying that if we're already playing Bama and Georgia this close (in 2014) then we're going to get good in like, 2 years.

2015 seemed like the start of something fun.

2016 we almost won 9 games, but the magnificent way in which we failed to get there was so....absurd. I don't think the team or coaches have ever recovered.

The Hawg Marshal

HawgWyld

Razorbackers

longpig

Quote from: davglo35 on October 12, 2017, 01:59:39 am

Riley is no Nick Saban and Bielema is no Matt Campbell.  Not even close.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hog-Corleone

This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

BigE_23

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 12, 2017, 11:04:23 am
Well, I don't think that BP was going to maintain 10 win seasons. That 2012 team could have maybe gotten there with some luck, but there was assuredly about to be a drop. Not trying to discredit what he did here, though.

And yeah, 2015 I was amped. I was prepared for a drop in 2016 while we replaced basically everyone off the offense, but 2017 was going to be a good year. Nice schedule, USC and Miz in the east, etc. The collapse is mind boggling to me. Go back and watch those 2014 and 2015 teams, and even when they were outmatched, they played super hard and never quit. I distinctly remember saying that if we're already playing Bama and Georgia this close (in 2014) then we're going to get good in like, 2 years.

2015 seemed like the start of something fun.

2016 we almost won 9 games, but the magnificent way in which we failed to get there was so....absurd. I don't think the team or coaches have ever recovered.
No, me either.
In fact, if I had to put a number on it, I would have predicted over a 10-year period Petrino would have averaged about 8.5 wins per year.
Reasonable people realize Arkansas football is not going to consistently hang with the big boys in this league. Just not realistic.
But the key is, as a friend of mine put it, will the 'highs be higher'?
When that occasionally group of special talent arrives, will it be 9 wins? Or 11?
Petrino's highs(2011) were better than Nutt's highs(2006)
His extra pay was worth that, imho.
Having said all that, we don't really know that he wouldn't have averaged 9-10 wins per year. Speculation either way.

grayhawg

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 12, 2017, 10:38:38 am

hahaha, kinda true though.

I'm sure I'm biased but I prefer the catfish and hushpuppies I make at home.  Sure get a whole lot more bang for my buck too.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 12, 2017, 04:34:12 pm
hahaha, kinda true though.

I'm sure I'm biased but I prefer the catfish and hushpuppies I make at home.  Sure get a whole lot more bang for my buck too.
But do they make you fat? Remember you can't trust obese people ;)

farmhawg

Quote from: Piggie Smalls on October 11, 2017, 05:29:48 pm
This week's matchup with the Tide serves as a reminder that BB's biggest accomplishment as the Hogs head coach came in a loss. The fact is that 4-plus years into his tenure his biggest on-field feat wasn't a win, but a 1-point loss to Alabama his 2nd year (a Bama team that didn't even win the national championship). I mean other than that, what other defining moment can you point to? I mean at this point most Hogs fans would kill for a close loss against Bama, and the fact that to date Bielema has no signature wins, just a signature loss, serves as big an indictment as anything that he hasn't gotten the job done yet (and probably never will).
I guess that's why he said he loves this week the most each year. Like bending over in the shower? What a dufus.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Athog

Quote from: Piggie Smalls on October 11, 2017, 05:29:48 pm

Well who was the last  Ark coach to beat Bama?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HoggyCat

If that's the case, we really are the new ASUj. Their biggest day in their  history was a loss...... to us in the NIT.  They celebrate it every year, and my gawd, you should've heard them on the 30 year anniversary. They don't celebrate multiple conference championships as much as they do losing to us.

Ok, carry on with the Bert bashing.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 12, 2017, 09:38:22 pm
Nutt
Believe it or not, Arkansas was one, maybe two games from tying the series when we lost to Saban's first team after falling behind 3 touchdowns at the beginning of the game that fateful night in Tuscaloosa in 2007. What I remember most is how McFadden ran all over the Tide and how the Tide needed 3, yes, count'em three pass interference calls to score a TD on their last possession to beat ARK 41-38. Whatever you think of Nutt, the guy could beat the Tide. Of course no one beats the Tide now except a cheating Ole Miss.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 12, 2017, 10:00:49 pm
Believe it or not, Arkansas was one, maybe two games from tying the series when we lost to Saban's first team after falling behind 3 touchdowns at the beginning of the game that fateful night in Tuscaloosa in 2007. What I remember most is how McFadden ran all over the Tide and how the Tide needed 3, yes, count'em three pass interference calls to score a TD on their last possession to beat ARK 41-38. Whatever you think of Nutt, the guy could beat the Tide. Of course no one beats the Tide now except a cheating Ole Miss.

The funny thing is....Nutt, with these same exact players would be at worst, 4-1 right now.

PRJ

widespreadsooie

The Kurt Anderson hire was Bielema's downfall. I'll never forget the back to back shut outs of OM and LSU in 2014 though. That was exciting.

snoblind

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 12, 2017, 10:38:38 am

No question its best days were when it was in the old white farm house north of Alma on 71.

arkansastrack

Haha the giant asterisk in you statement about Nutt beating the tide is that was pre Saban. During Nutts time here Alabama was something like 41-38 in conference play. The past 8+ years they have only lost 8 conference games. Not a valid comparison.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Hogwild

This article sums up his highlights-https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/8/16442824/bret-bielema-arkansas-football-buyout-record

QuoteIf you're an Arkansas fan, what IS the highlight of Bret Bielema's time?

Shutting out LSU and Ole Miss in back-to-back wins by a combined score of 47-0 in 2014? (The Hogs would lose to Missouri the next week.)

The "erotic" kneel to end a Texas Bowl win over the University of Texas? (That Longhorns team finished 6-7.)
Finally beating Gus Malzahn in 2015, the coach some Arkansas fans blame for fracturing their fan base during the Houston Nutt saga? (Bielema is 1-3 vs. Auburn.)

Maybe it was playing spoiler to Ole Miss' best chance at a division title in the modern era on the famous fourth-and-25 play?
That's certainly a fun memory, but to Hogs fans, the idea that the program would live to spoil a Mississippi program's conference title pursuit is an insult.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 12, 2017, 09:59:58 am
And we've had just as many bad losses
Toledo
The UGA blowout in Little rock (we made the score look better against their backups)
56-3 Aurburn home loss
All the A&M collapses
the Va Tech collapse
The blown mizzou wins
The blown 17 point lead at Rutgers

I will say, however, that 2014 game where ran all over texas tech was a thing of beauty. That game embodied the philosophy the bielema had when he came here. Somewhere along the way things changed

56-3 was at Auburn last year.

That doesn't erase the fact that in 4 meetings with Gustavius Malzahn, Bert is 1-3.  The 3 losses have been by 18 pts, 24, pts, and 53 points, and honestly does anyone think he has a chance getting that second win this year?  Or will it look more like those 3 loses?

Another fun fact from 1995 to 2011 Arkansas was 15-2 versus Mississippi State.  Bert is 1-3.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Razorbackers

Uh...Nutt would not be beating Saban. This is absolutely hilarious.