Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonehead decision by Athletic Director Long

Started by Lanny, October 11, 2017, 01:17:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sickboy

Quote from: Lanny on October 11, 2017, 01:17:52 pm
Does anyone know the reason for the large buyout after a 7-6 season?  Bielema won 2 conference games in two years and Long offers this ridiculous one-sided buyout.  Can't blame Bielema for this one, Jeff Long brought this egghead decision on his own.  I wonder if the BOT knew all the t's and I's in that contract before they signed off.

Remember when your ticket prices go up and calls, letters asking for more donations, you have a AD that spends money and blows money as if the money grew on trees.

If the BOT didn't know all the T's and I's in that contract before signing... they deserve to be flogged.

But remember... the buyout was big when he signed the initial contract in 2012. It was 12.8 million then. They just upped the buyout 2.6m in 2015. Not saying he deserved it, but there was a lot of optimism after that season.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2017, 03:57:00 pm

You argued with me the other day when I said it was prorated.

I'm sure it will come as a huge surprise to you, but I'm not infallible, haha. As I stated, I had read it numerous times, that sentence never registered to me.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 11, 2017, 02:26:25 pm
If Nebraska made overtures to Bielema (and what I've been told is HE/his agent made overtures to Nebraska that went nowhere), they happened a long time before the Texas Bowl win. Nebraska hired Mike Price on Dec. 4, 2014.
If Bret was making overtures to Nebraska back then, I'd be shocked if he wasn't making overtures now. No way he can want to hang around here, having lost the fan base.

BroyledNutts

October 11, 2017, 05:07:50 pm #53 Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:18:43 pm by BroyledNutts
Does anyone know the reason for the large buyout after a 7-6 season?  Bielema won 2 conference games in two years and Long offers this ridiculous one-sided buyout.  Can't blame Bielema for this one, Jeff Long brought this egghead decision on his own.  I wonder if the BOT knew all the t's and I's in that contract before they signed off.

Remember when your ticket prices go up and calls, letters asking for more donations, you have a AD that spends money and blows money as if the money grew on trees.

In my worthless opinion only, the buyout was because Jeff had his integrity guy. The guy that was interested and willing to join Jeff in putting the emphasis on GPAs, going to class, being "good men", etc. and not obsessing over wins and losses. He had found in Bielema a guy that was a known face in college football, that was interested in building a program "the right way", and could be the outward face of the program to the media - the likable, gregarious guy that could give the media plenty of sound bites to keep them happy and on board with the program, as an insulator against an unreasonable and unintelligent, yet vocal, fanbase.

I feel Jeff knew that if he didn't come up with a hedge against those who would be upset with a slow build process, unaccepting of marginal seasons - those who would start to rabble about replacing a coach who isn't winning at a likable or acceptable pace, that he could eventually have his hand forced to replace Brett with someone less likely to follow the template of Jeff's "clean program" vision. So he did what he could within his job description to insulate Brett from the wolves by creating the extension and ridiculously large buyout that would, in essence, lock Brett into place for the length of time Jeff felt it would take to build a clean program, devoid of scandal, based on integrity and academic success.

Behind this Jeff instilled the RSVP program to ramp up the coffers to improve facilities, increase not only seating options but seat values, and through RSVP get the fanbase to financially commit to the program in a way that would be hard to back out of...and in doing so create the outward appearance of a program on the rise, a financially stable program, a program of values, that would in turn inspire student athletes that Jeff assumed were out there looking for such a program to take a harder look at the U of A, bypassing other offers from other higher profile schools - and by default raise the perception of Arkansas as a high profile program.

What he did not anticipate though, in my opinion, is that most student athletes involved in football are interested in winning first, grades second, because most of them have aspirations of playing on Sunday - so a college degree is more or less a fall back plan, and not so much a primary goal. So the high profile men needed to build a successful winning program are still going to those schools that are winning, or have a history capable of winning, and raising their NFL stock in the process. GPAs and class attendance rarely improve one's performance at a combine, unless I'm missing something...Jeff's coaching hire, that he so heavily protected from removal, may very well be improving all the "clean program" attributes that Jeff envisioned. After 5 years he's not, however, improving the product on the field, the product people pay to see - and the people paying to see it are starting to get a little restless. Some are starting to feel taken advantage of - feeling their monetary investment is not producing an acceptable return.

So now Jeff is caught in a moral dilemma. Does he admit he was wrong about his hire, and despite all the "right way" semantics throw Brett under the bus, thereby admitting that wins and losses DO matter? Or does he decide to ride his guy, his contract, and his program philosophy all the way into the ground, never admitting wrong about anything, but also putting his job in jeopardy right along with Brett's?

ricepig

RSVP came about when Petrino wanted a new football operations center, and we needed an avenue to increase revenue.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 05:12:17 pm
RSVP came about when Petrino wanted a new football operations center, and we needed an avenue to increase revenue.

It was also part of Jeff's long term building plan - something he'd seen work in other programs as a guaranteed revenue stream.

HoggyCat

Quote from: island hog on October 11, 2017, 01:21:37 pm
From this untrained eye, it appears that the buck stops with the BOT on this one.

You're missing the point of the question.

Was this another lie by Long to convince the Board to approve it? Did he lie about grades? "Uncommon men"??

What was the criteria presented to the board to convince them it was best for all parties??
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

ricepig

Quote from: BroyledNutts on October 11, 2017, 05:19:37 pm
It was also part of Jeff's long term building plan - something he'd seen work in other programs as a guaranteed revenue stream.

No doubt, we still are mid-range in the conference on ticket prices and donations required for seating.

Quote from: moses_007 on October 11, 2017, 03:50:35 pm
Coaching changes just don't work like that.  When a coach is fired, he is gone...immediately.
Correct. And his contract says he is paid to be the head coach. If we demote him to any other position, we trigger the buyout.

hawg IQ

I've said before and will again, the problem is Jeff Long ! Hey if Bret walked out tomorrow guess what, you are no better off, He will just turn around and hire another coach that cannot compete  in SEC. Why does people not understand that. Long has to go or there's no conversation...none.

The fans knows this, we need to have a real coach. BP was that believe me.  I'm not advocating to rehire BP. But that whats needed here a kick- start coach that demands the best recruits, the best effort, the best asst., for the best fans !!!
It will not happen without a new AD first, someone  that knows the SEC.
Many of us believed it was botched to hire BB  in the beginning anyway. I will admit I like the guy and wanted him to be a success, it didn't pan out. But it never seemed like the right approach.

so what now ?  its so frustrating fans and boosters alike, what a screw up by our center of the universe AD !?

Folks, Folks FOLKs we can not run every 4-5 yerrs hiring a new coach because The AD keeps screwing up. Lets find the real deal someone who wants to win, will win and will demand the best for Arkansas !

go hogs go !

Augustus

To me... the Jerry's World agreement with Texas A&M was just as bone-headed.  Well, at least once they became a member of the SEC.

It made sense to have a non-conf game, at Jerry's new stadium, with an old rival that could be billed "Southwest Classic"... when A&M was in the Big12.

It got us exposure every year to Texas recruits, we could brag about playing the #1 stadium in the Country, it was a nostalgic matchup, etc.

But... after A&M joined the SEC? Not to mention the West Division? ? ?  It makes no sense.

I'm still not clear on whether we had to honor the original contract, after A&M joined the SEC? Or if both schools just agreed to it.  But, why oh why did Jeff Long not try to get out of it?

Agreeing to play a Division opponent on the road EVERY YEAR until 2020 or whenever it is, is just stupid. We haven't beaten A&M at Jerry's World since they joined the SEC.

From A&M's perspective? I imagine it's alot like the Hogs going to WMS to play a game every year. Not so much the attendance, which may be pretty even, but just the travel for their team. It's their 2nd home, like WMS is ours. They clearly got the better end of the deal.

I've read where Aggies fans want out of the contract, and seen rumor that even Aggies AD has wanted out of it.

Not demanding a home/home with a Division opponent is just as stupid as giving a Coach a $15 Million buyout after a 7 win season, if you ask me.

jimhog

The large buyout doesn't encourage production on the part of Bielema.

HardCore

Long doesn't give a crap about the U of A.  He just wanted to prolong himself in a good & ethical light until something he wanted more came along......like Jim Delaney's retirement.  Something like that.  He needs to go immediately, if not sooner.  He is a major problem.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

LZH

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 11, 2017, 03:43:27 pm
We cannot wait until after early signing date and only one month before regular signing date to pull the trigger.  If he is going to be fired it must be done on November 25th.  And the new coach must be ready to sign.

This is my question as well. Why wasn't his buyout reduced the weekend after the last regular-season game? We will have a dead duck sitting in the coaches office not recruiting for an entire month waiting to be fired. Did Jeff long or anyone else not think of this?

ricepig

Quote from: Augustus on October 11, 2017, 05:45:36 pm
To me... the Jerry's World agreement with Texas A&M was just as bone-headed.  Well, at least once they became a member of the SEC.

It made sense to have a non-conf game, at Jerry's new stadium, with an old rival that could be billed "Southwest Classic"... when A&M was in the Big12.

It got us exposure every year to Texas recruits, we could brag about playing the #1 stadium in the Country, it was a nostalgic matchup, etc.

But... after A&M joined the SEC? Not to mention the West Division? ? ?  It makes no sense.

I'm still not clear on whether we had to honor the original contract, after A&M joined the SEC? Or if both schools just agreed to it.  But, why oh why did Jeff Long not try to get out of it?

Agreeing to play a Division opponent on the road EVERY YEAR until 2020 or whenever it is, is just stupid. We haven't beaten A&M at Jerry's World since they joined the SEC.

From A&M's perspective? I imagine it's alot like the Hogs going to WMS to play a game every year. Not so much the attendance, which may be pretty even, but just the travel for their team. It's their 2nd home, like WMS is ours. They clearly got the better end of the deal.

I've read where Aggies fans want out of the contract, and seen rumor that even Aggies AD has wanted out of it.

Not demanding a home/home with a Division opponent is just as stupid as giving a Coach a $15 Million buyout after a 7 win season, if you ask me.

Florida and Georgia seem ok with playing at a neutral site.......

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Much like NAFTA, the U. of Arkansas should be re-negotiating this contract and severely punishing Jeff Long for abandoning his fiduciary duty to the state of Arkansas and its citizens.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm not an AD but I have managed businesses over the years and I never understood this particular move by Long at the time. I'm not sure that I would have done this even if he had produced a 10-3 season that year. Far too early.

Good HC's who can turn programs around quickly are always going to be in demand, but when a guy has a minimum 5 to 6 year contract to begin with, I would hope that I would have had to restrain myself and wait to see what the following few years produced as well.

Now had he won 10 in 2014 and then 9 in 2015 and 10 in 2016, yeah, I might have looked to lock him in for a much longer term with a bigger buy-out, especially with him having done that at Arkansas. Given those results, the time to lock him down would have been after the 2016 season.

But here is the question, if Long had waited to just see how much we progressed as a program after seeing a 3-9 season (2013), a 7-6 (2014), an 8-5 (2015) and a 7-6 (2016), and all of the things that have gone wrong, would there have been sufficient support from those to whom he reports, for an extension and elevated buy-out? I doubt it.
Go Hogs Go!

Tusks

Quote from: LZH on October 11, 2017, 05:55:07 pm
This is my question as well. Why wasn't his buyout reduced the weekend after the last regular-season game? We will have a dead duck sitting in the coaches office not recruiting for an entire month waiting to be fired. Did Jeff long or anyone else not think of this?

hahahahaha you're assuming that JL thinks.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

LZH

Agree with latest post of Muskogee.  I realize what Rice is saying, what others are saying, but I seriously doubt BB was working on Nebraska or that Nebraska was working on him.  That 3-9 backed up by a 7-6 record wasn't that good.  Of so, I would recommend letting him go after us baling him out at Wisconsin.  Thats right, we bailed him out as it was he who wanted to move along and I believe he let Long know that and asked that his current AD not be notified.  Correct me if that is incorrect.  If I assisted a man in getting out of a situation he dearly wanted to move along from and then less than 2 years later he is courting another program, I'll be dammed if I up the ante.  Ship his ass at that point.  Instead we give him a great, yet some say reasonable deal without putting him on the line for but 2 million should he leave.  Again correct me if incorrect, but I see this as Long being a total and complete nitwit if that is the situation. 

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on October 11, 2017, 06:33:54 pm
Agree with latest post of Muskogee.  I realize what Rice is saying, what others are saying, but I seriously doubt BB was working on Nebraska or that Nebraska was working on him.  That 3-9 backed up by a 7-6 record wasn't that good.  Of so, I would recommend letting him go after us baling him out at Wisconsin.  Thats right, we bailed him out as it was he who wanted to move along and I believe he let Long know that and asked that his current AD not be notified.  Correct me if that is incorrect.  If I assisted a man in getting out of a situation he dearly wanted to move along from and then less than 2 years later he is courting another program, I'll be dammed if I up the ante.  Ship his ass at that point.  Instead we give him a great, yet some say reasonable deal without putting him on the line for but 2 million should he leave.  Again correct me if incorrect, but I see this as Long being a total and complete nitwit if that is the situation. 

The increased salary and extension, which is the buyout, may have been sealed in early Dec, and put in writing in February.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000438630/article/bret-bielema-offered-nebraska-job-before-mike-riley

Dark Helmet Hog

Long already told everyone why he did it.
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-football/2014/08/39117/arkansas-ad-jeff-long-to-bert-youve-made-being-around-football-fun-again

Athog

If the BOT did not know or read it then that is on them! That is their job!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on October 11, 2017, 06:33:54 pm

The fact that we agree on anything is kinda scary. ;)

The thing is, if Long did feel that Nebraska was going to outbid us for Bielema and it appeared (by projection to him) that we were going to continue to rise in quality of the program (meaning wins), the way young men on the team are treated, higher graduation and APR Rates and all, I can see him wanting to do something to keep Bielema, but what he did at the time was over the top. Offer him a little more, a little more security and all, that I can understand. But to offer a parachute that should have been reserved for someone who had achieved more in that short time? No.

Now Jeff has his arse in a sling because Bret didn't deliver, regardless of the reasons.

Had Bielema went from 7-6 to 8-5 to 9-4 in 2016 and it seemed that we were still on an upward trajectory and not blown some of the wins that we have, I would venture a guess that even with the mistakes that have been made that robbed us of a minimum of 9 wins in each of those seasons, that we would not be having this conversation right now. But that isn't the case and 2017 hasn't started well because we really should be 5-0 headed into Tuscaloosa this coming weekend. If that were the case the attitudes on here would be far different than what we are reading today.
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

The problem is Bielema ain't changing.
He is who he is.
He can change assistants 2,000 times and overall things will stay the same.

He will always be the coach who makes mistakes on game day, whose teams are woefully ill-prepared to start the season, whose teams have a hard time playing 4 quarters and who loses 2 to 3 games every year he shouldn't lose.

If Long had waited a season or 2 he would have seen it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

From my point of view, Jeff Long wanted Bret for all the reasons Jeff Long values.  Jeff didn't see the background of why BB was successful at Wisconsin even though some of those reasons were clearly available and some were clearly not available.  The real stopper for me from day 1 when I learned of the hire was:  Goodness this Guy loves to run the ball, run it all day long and he isn't going to be able to do that at Arkansas considering how we recruit and where we play the game.  The SEC has mostly good line play every day and the top half of the SEC nearly always has GREAT Line play.  And those even marginally successful here with less than superior lines do not run the ball as the staple of the offense.  They can't.  I always remember what Lou Holtz said.  If you are beat along the line, get off the bus throwing the ball.  Best statement Lou ever made. 

Way before Long seriously overpaid Bret, he had already made the mistake that would eventually sink the program to where it is currently and eventually to where its headed because, folks, its gonna get worse.  That mistake was made in hiring Bret Bielema as the HC.  The only redeeming value that Arkansas has right now is that most of the SEC is in crapville right now with us, though we do seem to be able to be more crappy than our competition each week.  Much of what Bret cannot do was not obvious back when he was hired, but enough was front and center to keep an astute AD from pulling that trigger.  Our AD just didn't know better.

Pig in the Pokey

word on the street is, agents are kicking back ADs for playing 'the buyout game' . LSU fans say that about Alleva, and it seems logical here, too. ANd in light of all the other hustles coming out lately, i wouldnt be shocked at all.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jjfmetal11

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2017, 07:11:26 pm
He is who he is.

He will always be the coach who makes mistakes on game day, whose teams are woefully ill-prepared to start the season, whose teams have a hard time playing 4 quarters and who loses 2 to 3 games every year he shouldn't lose.

On tha Money!!

Razorbackers

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 11, 2017, 06:11:13 pm
Much like NAFTA, the U. of Arkansas should be re-negotiating this contract and severely punishing Jeff Long for abandoning his fiduciary duty to the state of Arkansas and its citizens.

2 bad takes in 1, well done.

The number one reason for Hogville being upset with Long is the amount of the buyout, and it appears that was never accurate from the beginning.

DoctorSusscrofa

The Dem Gaz article presents a problem for those buyout threads. Doesn't it?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Martygit

"Bielema's actual buyout is determined by a formula included within the language of his original deal, which was made effective Dec. 4, 2012, and signed the next August.
It uses the $15.4 million figure as a numerator and divides that by the total number of months (97) in the full term of his contract. That figure of $158,762.88, called the "monthly value of the total guaranty payment," would then be multiplied by the remaining number of months on the contract, which runs through Dec. 31, 2020.
Based on that equation, Arkansas would owe Bielema about $5.874 million to terminate his contract after the season concludes Nov. 24, plus a prorated amount for any partial months of employment.
That figure would be offset by the gross amount of any salary earned by Bielema through December 2020 — including for consulting or administrative jobs in college football or the NFL — or any work outside of coaching, such as a side business."

The numerator figure (15.4) is only used until the end of the year.  If, as reported, the numerator figure goes to 11.4 on Jan 1, 2018, and he's fired after that, the buyout figure is actually less - it would be 11.4 divided by the 97 months which results in a "monthly value" figure of $117,525 which you would then multiply by the number of remaining months, which, as of 1/1/18 would be 36 which makes the buyout as of 1/1/18 $4.2
RIP OTR, REV

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Razorbackers

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 12, 2017, 08:44:52 am
The Dem Gaz article presents a problem for those buyout threads. Doesn't it?

As we've seen people already doing in that thread, they'll just pivot to something else and will complain about it until they die or Petrino is hired back, one or the other.

hawgon

I think Long is pissed this got out.  I don't think that he wants to fire him and I think that there was going to be a full court propaganda press from th athletic department that he was just too expensive to fire. 

Can't do that now.  And heck, that $5.9 million is subject to being paid out over five years and being set off against future earnings too.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on October 12, 2017, 08:48:44 am
I think Long is pissed this got out.  I don't think that he wants to fire him and I think that there was going to be a full court propaganda press from th athletic department that he was just too expensive to fire. 

Can't do that now.  And heck, that $5.9 million is subject to being paid out over five years and being set off against future earnings too.

Aren't these contracts available to the public? Isn't that how we got the 15 million number in the first place?

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 12, 2017, 08:49:40 am
Aren't these contracts available to the public? Isn't that how we got the 15 million number in the first place?

Yeah, but it has been out there since 2012 and no one had found it yet.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on October 12, 2017, 08:50:50 am

Kinda sounds like no one was really looking.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hawgon on October 12, 2017, 08:50:50 am

More like, nobody bothered to read it carefully.  But hey, fake news is the best, right?

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 12, 2017, 08:55:26 am
Kinda sounds like no one was really looking.

YEah, almost like they needed the 15mil so they could act all outraged at Long over something that never really existed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 12, 2017, 08:45:54 am
As we've seen people already doing in that thread, they'll just pivot to something else and will complain about it until they die or Petrino is hired back, one or the other.

I know. But I'm enjoying the ballet.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

rhog1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2017, 08:58:36 am
YEah, almost like they needed the 15mil so they could act all outraged at Long over something that never really existed.
Yeah that buyout was the only thing I had ever seen out of long that I didn't like. I am glad it appears to not be correct because the buyout being that high never made sense.  I am sure the anti Long crowd will go back to the old he is a carpetbagger, or he killed the football program, or other nonsense to justify their dislike of him.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 03:55:08 pm
And, it states that the amounts are non-cumlative and any partial years are pro-rated. So, we would only owe 1/12 of the $3.85m for 2017. I've seen this contract for years and just now noticed that sentence..
Well, you're not a lawyer, even though you comment like one, so no shocker that you missed a key part of a contract even with multiple views.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hawgon

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on October 12, 2017, 08:58:29 am
More like, nobody bothered to read it carefully.  But hey, fake news is the best, right?

The word "found" implies that it was there all along.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2017, 08:58:36 am

This is going to be a fun morning of posts iyam

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2017, 07:11:26 pm
He is who he is.

Mrs. Hoglady, you have the most rational, pointed insight of anyone who comments on Hogville. And you are always very direct and efficient with your words and message.

All you say here is 100% accurate, which is why Bret will be fired (or he will "resign") on the day after the Missouri game. Done deal. Baked in the cake. Take it to the bank. Furthermore, and I will just put it this way, Jeff Long will not the the AD at the U of Ark by the start of the 2018 football season.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 12, 2017, 09:08:57 am
Well, you're not a lawyer, even though you comment like one, so no shocker that you missed a key part of a contract even with multiple views.

As did the the vast majority of the general public. Who knows outside of both legal counsel what the "language" holds forth.

RME

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 12, 2017, 09:15:13 am
Mrs. Hoglady, you have the most rational, pointed insight of anyone who comments on Hogville. And you are always very direct and efficient with your words and message.

All you say here is 100% accurate, which is why Bret will be fired (or he will "resign") on the day after the Missouri game. Done deal. Baked in the cake. Take it to the bank. Furthermore, and I will just put it this way, Jeff Long will not the the AD at the U of Ark by the start of the 2018 football season.

Willing to make an actual wager on that statement?

HotlantaHog

Jeff Long survives.

The fact that someone likely leaked to the ADG that the buyout is actually $5.9 million is a pretty clear defense of the athletic department and Long. It was still a blunder to raise the buyout, but not as big of one as perceived by everyone on here.

What would be the point of setting this straight unless Long wanted to stay? It doesn't help Bielema at all, just the opposite.