Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonehead decision by Athletic Director Long

Started by Lanny, October 11, 2017, 01:17:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

Does anyone know the reason for the large buyout after a 7-6 season?  Bielema won 2 conference games in two years and Long offers this ridiculous one-sided buyout.  Can't blame Bielema for this one, Jeff Long brought this egghead decision on his own.  I wonder if the BOT knew all the t's and I's in that contract before they signed off.

Remember when your ticket prices go up and calls, letters asking for more donations, you have a AD that spends money and blows money as if the money grew on trees.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

hoghearted

I can't figure out what the justification could be. It doesn't protect UA at all, which is SUPPOSED to be Jeff's highest priority.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

island hog

From this untrained eye, it appears that the buck stops with the BOT on this one. 

woodhog14

Quote from: Lanny on October 11, 2017, 01:17:52 pm
Does anyone know the reason for the large buyout after a 7-6 season?  Bielema won 2 conference games in two years and Long offers this ridiculous one-sided buyout.  Can't blame Bielema for this one, Jeff Long brought this egghead decision on his own.  I wonder if the BOT knew all the t's and I's in that contract before they signed off.

Remember when your ticket prices go up and calls, letters asking for more donations, you have a AD that spends money and blows money as if the money grew on trees.

So do these comments below have anything to do with what you just mentioned? Sounds like to me they do.

Quote from: poloprince on October 11, 2017, 11:06:07 am
The mismanagement of millions of dollars will get you terminated every time.

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on October 11, 2017, 11:08:13 am
Or some would call it fraud....

But integrity and all.

PRJ

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The NewEra

Judging by your last several post on Long I'm starting to believe you aren't his biggest fan.  I may be wrong, but......................... ;)

hogcard1964

It's a head scratcher that's for sure.

It seems like everything he's touched in regards to the football program has blown up in his face.

Btw, he's also responsible for hiring Dave Wanstedt while he was in Pittsburgh.

I believe (but don't know) that we had just beat Texas and Nebraska made an overture to Bielema so we gave him the raise and increased buyout as security to keep him.

2nd time we screwed up not letting a coach go to Nebraska.

hoghearted

Quote from: Karma on October 11, 2017, 02:21:19 pm
I believe (but don't know) that we had just beat Texas and Nebraska made an overture to Bielema so we gave him the raise and increased buyout as security to keep him.

The buyout has no 'security to keep him'. It just prevents us from firing him.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Granny fan

Isn't this the truth?  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!

Quote from: hoghearted on October 11, 2017, 02:22:37 pm
The buyout has no 'security to keep him'. It just prevents us from firing him.
The security is for him. We gave him extra security by removing the threat of firing him in order to keep him.

Jim Harris

If Nebraska made overtures to Bielema (and what I've been told is HE/his agent made overtures to Nebraska that went nowhere), they happened a long time before the Texas Bowl win. Nebraska hired Mike Price on Dec. 4, 2014.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Razorbackers

Stability and support. Taking the pressure to "win immediately or we'll fire you" off of his shoulders, giving him breathing room to continue to rebuild the team. Showing support for the process of finding the right players and building depth and implementing the offense. Showing other coaches around the country that Arkansas may be a tough job, but you'll get paid and have every opportunity to succeed here.

The buyout is too high but let's stop pretending that A) high buyouts aren't common across all of college football and B) there's no justification for the new contract after 2014.

A&M was the only team that beat us that didn't finish the season ranked in the top 25. Arkansas' worst loss that year was week 1 to Auburn in a game that was close, but depth and experience cost us late. OT loss to TAMU, 1 point loss to Bama, 13 point loss to UGA, 7 point loss to MSU, 7 point loss to Miz.

It wasn't just the wins over OM, LSU, and Texas that got the fanbase excited about Bielema, had Long and the BOT excited about the future, and got him the extension. It was the way we were losing. Close games, being competitive with a murderous schedule, shutting out back to back ranked opponents, and doing it with a roster that would have a lot of offense back in 2015.

The reason for the money and the optimism is pretty obvious to me. Again, it is a very high buyout that wasn't warranted, but the reason behind wanting to renegotiate is there.

HawgWild

Does anyone know the reason for the large buyout after a 7-6 season?  Bielema won 2 conference games in two years and Long offers this ridiculous one-sided buyout.

I guess someone thought that's how much a win over a bad Texas team was worth.

Sed76

I have no clue as to how these things work but is Long solely responsible for this crazy buyout? I mean did someone else not have to sign off on it? If so those people deserve some heat as well for approving it.

code red

15.4 million cause he beat Texas in the Texas bowl....basically.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jacobp

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 11, 2017, 02:27:46 pm
Stability and support. Taking the pressure to "win immediately or we'll fire you" off of his shoulders, giving him breathing room to continue to rebuild the team. Showing support for the process of finding the right players and building depth and implementing the offense. Showing other coaches around the country that Arkansas may be a tough job, but you'll get paid and have every opportunity to succeed here.

The buyout is too high but let's stop pretending that A) high buyouts aren't common across all of college football and B) there's no justification for the new contract after 2014.

A&M was the only team that beat us that didn't finish the season ranked in the top 25. Arkansas' worst loss that year was week 1 to Auburn in a game that was close, but depth and experience cost us late. OT loss to TAMU, 1 point loss to Bama, 13 point loss to UGA, 7 point loss to MSU, 7 point loss to Miz.

It wasn't just the wins over OM, LSU, and Texas that got the fanbase excited about Bielema, had Long and the BOT excited about the future, and got him the extension. It was the way we were losing. Close games, being competitive with a murderous schedule, shutting out back to back ranked opponents, and doing it with a roster that would have a lot of offense back in 2015.

The reason for the money and the optimism is pretty obvious to me. Again, it is a very high buyout that wasn't warranted, but the reason behind wanting to renegotiate is there.
Most rational post I've read in days

ricepig

Quote from: The NewEra on October 11, 2017, 01:31:24 pm
Judging by your last several post on Long I'm starting to believe you aren't his biggest fan.  I may be wrong, but......................... ;)

Yeah, you'd think he was a n00b that keeps posting the same thing over and over.   8)

PorkSoda

that was the year he beat LSU and Texas.

I'm pretty sure he got caught up in the excitement that Razorback Football was back on the map.

the team actually did pretty good the next year too.  then BA, HH, etc graduated and back to reality.

Same thing happened to Nutt between the Matt Jones Era and the Dmac Era.  if you don't have a superstar or two you aren't going to compete in the SEC.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hawgon

Making sure that Jeff Long got to keep his man in place.

Kevin

Quote from: Jim Harris on October 11, 2017, 02:26:25 pm
If Nebraska made overtures to Bielema (and what I've been told is HE/his agent made overtures to Nebraska that went nowhere), they happened a long time before the Texas Bowl win. Nebraska hired Mike Price on Dec. 4, 2014.

so cbb was looking to get out in year two or he was playing long. nice job long.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jrulz83

Maybe Bielema wrote Long a note after the Texas Bowl.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

ricepig

Quote from: Sed76 on October 11, 2017, 02:28:33 pm
I have no clue as to how these things work but is Long solely responsible for this crazy buyout? I mean did someone else not have to sign off on it? If so those people deserve some heat as well for approving it.

Basically, what he got is a raise, and a new 6 year contract which replaced his previous contract. His salary was raised to an average of $4.25m/year, and the buyout just guarantees the contract. His previous contract was based on $3.2m a year and with three years to go on it, he was owed $9.6m. On Jan 1st, with three years to go, he is owed $11.7m.

jkstock04

The Texas win probably got a lot of people who make decisions thinking 10 win seasons were inevitable for the future. Hilarious looking back on it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Good point, the timeline doesn't match up. Mike Riley was hired before the Texas Bowl.

Razorbackers

Quote from: jacobp on October 11, 2017, 02:31:44 pm
Most rational post I've read in days

That's bad news, because I am not smart. lol

Hogs-n-Roses

So should we be thankful to Nebraska or do we owe them an apology. Wait a minit,I get it. They shud be thanking us.

Grunt

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 11, 2017, 01:38:34 pm
It's a head scratcher that's for sure.

It seems like everything he's touched in regards to the football program has blown up in his face.

Btw, he's also responsible for hiring Dave Wanstedt while he was in Pittsburgh.
And for firing Petrino. Just an ass decision. Long doesn't care about the program. Let's fire him as we did Nutt.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

hogfan14

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 11, 2017, 02:46:34 pm
The Texas win probably got a lot of people who make decisions thinking 10 win seasons were inevitable for the future. Hilarious looking back on it.

I mean, we made a huge jump from 2013 to 2014. Top 10 defense, only lost to Alabama by 1, were in nearly every game we played. Most thought we were trending up.

We just haven't gotten any better since then and it was WAY too early for that sort of buyout.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogfan14 on October 11, 2017, 02:58:11 pm
I mean, we made a huge jump from 2013 to 2014. Top 10 defense, only lost to Alabama by 1, were in nearly every game we played. Most thought we were trending up.

We just haven't gotten any better since then and it was WAY too early for that sort of buyout.

And the thing is, we went 5-3 in the conference the next year, and we lost 2-3 games that we should have or could have won.

And then last year we were worse, but came *this* close to winning 9 games.

That's going to be the legacy of Bielema. Being *this* close to doing some awesome things, but being unable to keep it together for a full season. And it all culminated in this ****show of a 2017 season.

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 11, 2017, 03:04:59 pm
And the thing is, we went 5-3 in the conference the next year, and we lost 2-3 games that we should have or could have won.

That's going to be the legacy of Bielema. Being *this* close to doing some awesome things, but being unable to keep it together for a full season. And it all culminated in this ****show of a 2017 season.

All you need to know is that every year, Bert is two games worse than whatever his team should be with a good coach.  This year, that is going to be four or five because we look like a six win team if we get the breaks.

longpig

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 11, 2017, 03:04:59 pm

And when you factor in his previous few years at Wisconsin to what he'd done at Arkansas to that point it makes sense.  Then Auburn 16 happened.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hog-Corleone

You guys do realize that his buyout is reduced by any other pay he gets from a future job, right?  Now, we can discuss what program would hire him, and how much will he be worth, but if he gets a $2.0MM per year job, that reduces it by $8.0MM.

Still a lot of money, but maybe it makes it a little more palatable?

I don't know, i just don't see the buyout as being out of touch with what is happening in the landscape of head coaching contracts at P5 schools...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Razorbackers

Quote from: longpig on October 11, 2017, 03:22:28 pm
And when you factor in his previous few years at Wisconsin to what he'd done at Arkansas to that point it makes sense.  Then Auburn 16 happened.

That really was a beacon of WTH. Truly, up until that point, one of the things I loved most about CBB and his teams was how they never quit (2013 excluded to an extent). That game was BRUTAL. Of course, in true CBB fashion, he follows it up by beating the crap out of Florida, and I chalked it up to a bad game.

Since then, though, this team has looked like a team that just doesn't have any heart. I remember Bielema embracing Flowers after the Alabama game, and the way the team rallied around Brandon in 2015.

This team just doesn't have that in them, or at least they haven't shown it yet. And it's just...weird...

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: code red on October 11, 2017, 02:30:56 pm

As Dr. Bukey would say...succinct, and to the point.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Redhogs

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 11, 2017, 02:27:46 pm

" Again, it is a very high buyout that wasn't warranted,"    the only sentence in the post that matters...
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ricepig

Quote from: Redhogs on October 11, 2017, 03:39:02 pm
" Again, it is a very high buyout that wasn't warranted,"    the only sentence in the post that matters...

The buyout is just guaranteeing the remainder of his contract, lots of people get those.

rhames

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 03:41:19 pm
The buyout is just guaranteeing the remainder of his contract, lots of people get those.

Yeah people don't get that
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Ward on October 11, 2017, 03:39:54 pm
if we fire him January 1, get to the 11.7M mark, what's our Year 1 payout? 2m? 3m?
We cannot wait until after early signing date and only one month before regular signing date to pull the trigger.  If he is going to be fired it must be done on November 25th.  And the new coach must be ready to sign.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 03:41:19 pm
exactly.

now people could say that he didn't deserve a raise from 3.2 to 3.85 and they would probably be correct. 

however the buyout didn't change, just the amount of his Salary which is guaranteed for the lesser of 4 years or the remainder of the contract.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Potosihog

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on October 11, 2017, 03:26:02 pm
You guys do realize that his buyout is reduced by any other pay he gets from a future job, right?  Now, we can discuss what program would hire him, and how much will he be worth, but if he gets a $2.0MM per year job, that reduces it by $8.0MM.

Still a lot of money, but maybe it makes it a little more palatable?

I don't know, i just don't see the buyout as being out of touch with what is happening in the landscape of head coaching contracts at P5 schools...

Between you and Razorbackers we might actually have some reasonable people still posting here.  Yes, it is time to move on.  Yes this season will likely end without a single conference win in one of the most down years of the conference history.  But there was reason to think we were going the right direction in 2015.  Furthermore there is reason to believe today we can move on without it bankrupting the program.

Now, hopefully we are able to move on without his hirability being totally destroyed.

We need another team to take him and pay him a decent wage.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 11, 2017, 03:43:27 pm
We cannot wait until after early signing date and only one month before regular signing date to pull the trigger.  If he is going to be fired it must be done on November 25th.  And the new coach must be ready to sign.

Correct, that's the $3.7m question.....

moses_007

Quote from: code red on October 11, 2017, 02:30:56 pm
It started off as $18 million. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Ward on October 11, 2017, 03:39:54 pm
if we fire him January 1, get to the 11.7M mark, what's our Year 1 payout? 2m? 3m?
3.85 per year x 4 years or the remainder of the contract.

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 11, 2017, 03:43:27 pm
we certainly can.

we can keep him on payroll through Jan 1, and in the meantime hire someone to take over his duties while he is on paid administrative leave.

PorkSoda

Quote from: moses_007 on October 11, 2017, 03:45:11 pm
It started off as $18 million. 
3.85 x 4 is 15.4 million.   he is only guaranteed a max of 4 years salary

moses_007

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 11, 2017, 03:46:33 pm
we certainly can.

we can keep him on payroll through Jan 1, and in the meantime hire someone to take over his duties while he is on paid administrative leave.
Coaching changes just don't work like that.  When a coach is fired, he is gone...immediately.

woodhog14

So Bielema was looking to get out after his second year huh?

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 11, 2017, 03:47:44 pm
3.85 x 4 is 15.4 million.   he is only guaranteed a max of 4 years salary

And, it states that the amounts are non-cumlative and any partial years are pro-rated. So, we would only owe 1/12 of the $3.85m for 2017. I've seen this contract for years and just now noticed that sentence..

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 03:55:08 pm
And, it states that the amounts are non-cumlative and any partial years are pro-rated. So, we would only owe 1/12 of the $3.85m for 2017. I've seen this contract for years and just now noticed that sentence..

You argued with me the other day when I said it was prorated.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 11, 2017, 03:46:33 pm
we certainly can.

I'm not a scientific rocket, but I'll bet a good attorney could make the case that the minute you put him on "administrative leave" and give somebody else his duties that he has been fired.  But ultimately that is just a money question.  My point is that on November 25th (if we aren't going to a bowl) the recruits must know who the REAL coach is going to be.