Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Change is in the air...

Started by Porkatarian, October 11, 2017, 10:37:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2017, 07:38:31 pm
You can thank John White and his committee for that hire.
Broyles made a mistake keeping him - but he sure wouldn't have hired him.

Enabling. Not the hire. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

haystack

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 07:57:07 am
There is a small group on the BOT that absolutely wants Jeff Long to have no part of our next coaching hire.  Can't say I blame them.
This excites me more than anything.

prattville pig

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 07:06:53 am
There's light at the end of the tunnel.  Sadly, I'm more looking forward to our upcoming coaching search than I am the rest of the season. 

Porkatarian out...
We are going to need plenty of Paul Eells cheese dip!
Life's too short to last long.

jjfmetal11

Still way too early for that.  If there has been any back channel communication with perspective head coaches, I am not aware. 

There is a small group on the BOT that absolutely wants Jeff Long to have no part of our next coaching hire.  Can't say I blame them.

Porkatarian out...

We can only Hope!

311Hog

i wish i had some of yall's ability to tell the future.  I mean looking around at the college football coaching landscape where is this "magic" coach that is going to bring us a ship?

All there is are "up and comers" and some of you talk as if it is an absolute certainty that OC this or DC that will bring home the magic, because Saban's clone isn't walking through that door.

disclaimer i totally feel like CBB has done enough to lose his job, and i would wait another year because throwing away 12 Mill+ for 1 year sooner in the coaching search just does not seem worth it to me.

Jimbob111

"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: 311Hog on October 12, 2017, 09:36:17 am
i wish i had some of yall's ability to tell the future.  I mean looking around at the college football coaching landscape where is this "magic" coach that is going to bring us a ship?

All there is are "up and comers" and some of you talk as if it is an absolute certainty that OC this or DC that will bring home the magic, because Saban's clone isn't walking through that door.

disclaimer i totally feel like CBB has done enough to lose his job, and i would wait another year because throwing away 12 Mill+ for 1 year sooner in the coaching search just does not seem worth it to me.
5.9 million

Jimbob111

Neither you nor I will be writing that 12 million dollar check. That being said, 12 million is not worth burning a program to the ground by keeping Bret around. That sinks the program even further and costs recruits.

Bret has difficulty making basic game decisions or making adjustments. I really can't understand how he has managed to become a head coach based simply on watching him for the past 4+ years.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

311Hog

Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 12, 2017, 10:46:14 am
Neither you nor I will be writing that 12 million dollar check. That being said, 12 million is not worth burning a program to the ground by keeping Bret around. That sinks the program even further and costs recruits.

Bret has difficulty making basic game decisions or making adjustments. I really can't understand how he has managed to become a head coach based simply on watching him for the past 4+ years.

my response to this is yeah we won't be writing that check whether it is 12, 15 or 5.9 million either way thats alot of coin.

sink even further than what? and cost what recruits? if we are going to be 3-9 with a recruiting class ranked from 9 to 12 in the SEC, i would rather be that and 12, 15 or 5.9 million richer because i have almost no faith that there is a coach "in existence" that can come in next year and change any of this.

we are talking very very small percentage/probability of success here

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: 311Hog on October 12, 2017, 11:04:37 am
my response to this is yeah we won't be writing that check whether it is 12, 15 or 5.9 million either way thats alot of coin.

sink even further than what? and cost what recruits? if we are going to be 3-9 with a recruiting class ranked from 9 to 12 in the SEC, i would rather be that and 12, 15 or 5.9 million richer because i have almost no faith that there is a coach "in existence" that can come in next year and change any of this.

we are talking very very small percentage/probability of success here
Do you really think recruiting is going to be any better by having a lame duck coach. We have to show that we are willing to try to win.

MTBrookHog

Still way too early for that.  If there has been any back channel communication with perspective head coaches, I am not aware. 

Porkatarian out...
This is the biggest news for me. All Long is looking at is $$$. We need someone in the decision making process that knows the importance of Hog football to the state and fans.

Now that E.F. Porkatarian Hutton has spoken, WE ARE LISTENING!

onebadrubi

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 11, 2017, 10:42:27 am
I'm going to meet you one day when you are in Tulsa.

I'm in Tulsa twice a month, I'll buy the beer!

The_Iceman

I would like to see a committee put together of some former players, coaches, and boosters to help Jeff Long vet candidates to determine who is the best fit for our program.

Godfather

This is all financial. 

The buyout is peanuts when compared to the cost of a BAD program.  The NEZ expansion was based on an assumption of butts in seats and boxes filled.  We lose and those are vacant.  A new coach brings optimism and enhanced ticket sales, at least for a short time.

Change will happen.

(Source: common sense)
WPS to the end.

HawgTide

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 12, 2017, 11:38:05 am
I would like to see a committee put together of some former players, coaches, and boosters to help Jeff Long vet candidates to determine who is the best fit for our program.

That's how we got Nutt instead of Tubberville

HoggyCat

Bielema is gone, but Long stays and his sheep will blindly keep following him. 

So what's the point in getting excited??
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

311Hog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 12, 2017, 11:11:01 am
Do you really think recruiting is going to be any better by having a lame duck coach. We have to show that we are willing to try to win.

I never said it would be better, i said that our recruiting is "basically" the same year in and year out.  Changing from one HC like CBB to another "up and commer" will not change that. It didn't change it in the past and isn't likely to change it in the future because there is no head coach out there that steps on this campus day 1 and changes the culture that person already has a job at a better school etc. etc.

So save money i say though if it is 5.9 and we go winless the rest of the season i wouldn't be surprised at all to see that trigger pulled, but 12 to 15 hmm + assistants and the cost of hiring a new coach? i don't see that.

I mean would you really rather trade 1 more season of CBB, for negative 15 + million and run the risk of the next hire being a "discount" because they spent so much money getting rid of CBB?
Seems pretty dangerous to me.

hoghearted

Quote from: HawgTide on October 12, 2017, 11:42:13 am
That's how we got Nutt instead of Tubberville

to be fair, we also had an AD that knew how to hire good coaches. this one? eh.....
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HoggyCat

You'll be throwing a lot more than that away with empty seats. 

Besides, that was the burning question when people were calling for Deddy's head.... "who can we get".  That worked out pretty well until Long took the "holier than thou" approach.

311Hog

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 12, 2017, 12:00:54 pm
You'll be throwing a lot more than that away with empty seats. 

Besides, that was the burning question when people were calling for Deddy's head.... "who can we get".  That worked out pretty well until Long took the "holier than thou" approach.

again yall like to throw around the "empty seats line" i was there when we lost to Citadel, and while it wasn't a sell out people are going to go to the games.  This is just a fact.

btw Petrino isn't coming back here, and even if he did we still aren't beating Bama.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Why use a committee when you can crowd source a short list right here on Hogville.  Hell all Jeff needs to do is cull the list to a manageable number then come on here and create a poll.  No need for a committees, or search firms.  Just to avoid Russian influence I would limit the poll to members that have been on at least 5 years with a 1,000 posts or more.  Think of it as Hogville voter ID.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 12, 2017, 12:05:35 pm
Why use a committee when you can crowd source a short list right here on Hogville.  Hell all Jeff needs to do is cull the list to a manageable number then come on here and create a poll.  No need for a committees, or search firms.  Just to avoid Russian influence I would limit the poll to members that have been on at least 5 years with a 1,000 posts or more.  Think of it as Hogville voter ID.

Let's make the cutoff 7,000 posts.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

311Hog

HoggyCat

Quote from: 311Hog on October 12, 2017, 12:03:44 pm
again yall like to throw around the "empty seats line" i was there when we lost to Citadel, and while it wasn't a sell out people are going to go to the games.  This is just a fact.

btw Petrino isn't coming back here, and even if he did we still aren't beating Bama.

Eff Petrino.

And had we not kicked Carolina's ass the next week after citadel, there would've been empty seats. The point you're missing is the amount of empty seats it would take to make up that difference. That number is less than 10K.  I'm sorry if you can't do that math without jeffi's help.

Furthermore, we've beaten bama I then past. Gets us nowhere if the rest of the season is darn. Conversely, we've lost to bama and went to a bad bowl and won a cotton bowl.

Next argument 

HawgTide

Quote from: hoghearted on October 12, 2017, 11:58:19 am
to be fair, we also had an AD that knew how to hire good coaches. this one? eh.....

They weren't all good. Frank struck out some too

ipigsooie

ipigsooie

Quote from: HawgTide on October 12, 2017, 12:12:46 pm

They weren't all good. Frank struck out some too

Yes he did. And who didnt think the Bert hire was a good hire at the time? I can be honest and say i thought it was a homerun stealing him from wisky. I was wrong but at the time i think it was pretty well seen as a steal.

hogcard1964

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 12, 2017, 12:15:34 pm
Yes he did. And who didnt think the Bert hire was a good hire at the time? I can be honest and say i thought it was a homerun stealing him from wisky. I was wrong but at the time i think it was pretty well seen as a steal.

I thought it was awful.

GolfnHog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 12, 2017, 12:07:54 pm
Let's make the cutoff 7,000 posts.

Hmmm, some have been part of the Hogville soap opera for 10+ years and still haven't gotten to the 7K milestone. Could it be that those folks are measured in their responses and don't respond to every thing just to build a post count?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

311Hog

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 12, 2017, 12:11:19 pm
Eff Petrino.

And had we not kicked Carolina's ass the next week after citadel, there would've been empty seats. The point you're missing is the amount of empty seats it would take to make up that difference. That number is less than 10K.  I'm sorry if you can't do that math without jeffi's help.

Furthermore, we've beaten bama I then past. Gets us nowhere if the rest of the season is darn. Conversely, we've lost to bama and went to a bad bowl and won a cotton bowl.

Next argument 

umm i am actually very good at math.  and i know that hog fans will show up to football games.  that even if the entire upper tier is empty for one year that isn't 15 million dollars.

Our problem isn't going to be CBB he will either be gone this year or the next.  Our problem is how do we crack or get out of the rut we have been in for decades in recruiting.

Maybe our only hope is to sit around and wait for Saban to retire.

forrest city joe

Nope. if you have an AD that you can't trust to hire the new coach on his own.it's time to bring in a new AD.and in my opinion it's time.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: GolfnHog on October 12, 2017, 12:18:18 pm
Hmmm, some have been part of the Hogville soap opera for 10+ years and still haven't gotten to the 7K milestone. Could it be that those folks are measured in their responses and don't respond to every thing just to build a post count?
This.

Sivad

We didn't get kissed the last time a committee of ex players (Quinn Grovey) hired a coach (Houston Nutt).

onebadrubi

Quote from: Sivad on October 12, 2017, 12:28:16 pm
We didn't get kissed the last time a committee of ex players (Quinn Grovey) hired a coach (Houston Nutt).

Yeah, I'm not Uber excited about the committee thoughts.  They seem to fail the school and fans interest every time.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 12, 2017, 01:06:49 pm
Yeah, I'm not Uber excited about the committee thoughts.  They seem to fail the school and fans interest every time.

How about the committee being compromised of Jerry Jones, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, & Dan Hampton?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 12, 2017, 12:20:50 pm
This.

I've been here 12 years and don't have even 500 posts.  Obviously read a lot more than I post.

ricepig

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 12, 2017, 01:12:19 pm
How about the committee being compromised of Jerry Jones, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, & Dan Hampton?

Some question Jerry's decisions on hiring head coaches, as to the others, Barry is 80, but he does keep up with college football, not sure how much Jimmy and Dan do.

Been10Hog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 12, 2017, 11:11:01 am
Recruiting has NEVER been consistently good here! Never will! That;s the hand we are dealt. No one will come in and convince the number 1 recruit from Chicago, Florida or Georgia to come here to Fayetteville unless they are kin to former players. Reality!

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 12, 2017, 12:20:48 pm
Nope. if you have an AD that you can't trust to hire the new coach on his own.it's time to bring in a new AD.and in my opinion it's time.

yes
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Been10Hog on October 12, 2017, 01:21:52 pm
Recruiting has NEVER been consistently good here! Never will! That;s the hand we are dealt. No one will come in and convince the number 1 recruit from Chicago, Florida or Georgia to come here to Fayetteville unless they are kin to former players. Reality!

Hugh and Ole Missy did, just sayin.........

Been10Hog

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2017, 01:24:05 pm
Exactly...and that made it pretty easy on the NCAA

jgphillips3

We could hire Brohm now and win 9 games next year.  I truly believe that based on what he is doing with freaking Purdue.  Saw Franklin at Vanderbilt doing the same thing.  Look where Penn State is when they should be dead.  I think Brohm is the real deal.  May take a few years seasoning, but I think he could be a good one.

hoglady

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 12, 2017, 01:41:26 pm
We could hire Brohm now and win 9 games next year.  I truly believe that based on what he is doing with freaking Purdue.  Saw Franklin at Vanderbilt doing the same thing.  Look where Penn State is when they should be dead.  I think Brohm is the real deal.  May take a few years seasoning, but I think he could be a good one.

It's really shocking how much he's improved the play at Purdue in under a year - I think he was hired in January 2017.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tusks

With the SEC down I think Brohm (maybe a couple of others) could win 10 next season for the hogs.

At least the counter trey with a lost of 2, will be out of the playbook.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

thebignasty

onebadrubi

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 12, 2017, 01:12:19 pm

How good have jerry jones coaching decisions been???  I'll give you a hint, he's ran the good ones off for his cowboys.

311Hog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 12, 2017, 01:41:26 pm

I agree i think Brohm would have a better than avg. shot.  Comes back to money here i believe he has the hefty buyout as well being in his first year at Purdue.  I mean that whole swap could be upwards of 50 mil when all said and done getting CBB out bringing Brohm in.

Man this thing is stupid expensive.

factchecker

Quote from: Been10Hog on October 12, 2017, 01:25:15 pm
Exactly...and that made it pretty easy on the NCAA

Quote from: ricepig on October 12, 2017, 01:24:05 pm

Wasn't long ago that we had some fans telling us that if Ole Miss can recruit that good then we should.  They were shutting down everybody's claims about the Rebels cheating.  They said the reason Ole Miss was recruiting better was because Hugh was a hard worker and damn good recruiter.  They even mentioned these videos as being a big reason the rebs were recruiting better:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HawgTide

Quote from: 311Hog on October 12, 2017, 01:57:49 pm
I agree i think Brohm would have a better than avg. shot.  Comes back to money here i believe he has the hefty buyout as well being in his first year at Purdue.  I mean that whole swap could be upwards of 50 mil when all said and done getting CBB out bringing Brohm in.

Man this thing is stupid expensive.

Brohm has a 4 million dollar buyout. That's not a bad deal if we could get him