Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Change is in the air...

Started by Porkatarian, October 11, 2017, 10:37:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigz

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 11, 2017, 02:40:45 pm
I may be in the minority, but as time passes, my opinion of Nutt has gotten more favorable.

He had his faults, and his ego prevented him from accepting Gus and taking this team to the top in 2006 and 2007, but he did a pretty good job here averaging 7.5 wins a year, including three 9 win seasons and a 10 win season in his ten years here.

He was a bad tipper too, none of the waitresses at hog city had anything good to say about him.
You guys have a good time frig dancing

26.2Hog

Quote from: grayhawg on October 11, 2017, 06:05:37 pm
Who is John Brummett>

https://twitter.com/johnbrummett/status/917947097109975041

He will probably be awarded the nobel prize for medicine for inventing a cure for insomnia. Try reading his column. You will fall asleep before the 3rd paragraph.

LZH

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 11, 2017, 03:03:31 pm
Rumor was they were also doing funny things with money and Nutt was involved as well which allowed him to get the two year pass, a deal Lindsey was to have brokered.

Troof..........

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 11, 2017, 11:04:09 am
I'm good with change. I just hope it isn't the return of the GOBN. If Long has done anything right it's strangling those folks power away from them and ensuring they can't get it back.
How about Ken Hatfield and break the FLEX BONE err out of the mothballs in the closet ?  Anyone seen James Rouse lately ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

SultanofSwine

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 11, 2017, 10:37:07 am
;)

Porkatarian out...

Nice to see the speculation season has been officially started now.

If long goes this year, Bret probably stays. You can't fire and hire a coach without an AD.

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 11:29:32 am
Nutt era worked well? 

You can thank John White and his committee for that hire.
Broyles made a mistake keeping him - but he sure wouldn't have hired him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 11, 2017, 06:08:04 pm
So typical as  the DemRag,LR tries to sell some papers now by comments from people that never know jack crap.

you might be wrong about that.
The rest of the frog.

RyeHogFan

I wonder if certain members or the BOT hold more power than others. I seem to remember David Pryor being 100% against the stadium expansion and Long bullheadedly going through with it. Perhaps when the time comes to evaluate Long's job, Pryor will have sour grapes over that and he will be pushing to have Long fired.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Knot2brite on October 11, 2017, 12:30:16 pm
Two maybe three assistants changed and they can say they gave him a chance and they saved $11-15 million...probably not the change the masses are clamoring for but it will be change...these are all guesses so don't think I have inside sources...just thinking like money people here

Smartest post in the thread.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HawgPound

Two maybe three assistants changed and they can say they gave him a chance and they saved $11-15 million...probably not the change the masses are clamoring for but it will be change...these are all guesses so don't think I have inside sources...just thinking like money people here
That is the beauty of a vague post about change. No matter what happens... ..you look like you knew something.

I don't have any inside sources either but if I did they would be saying the same thing.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 11, 2017, 02:40:45 pm
I may be in the minority, but as time passes, my opinion of Nutt has gotten more favorable.

He had his faults, and his ego prevented him from accepting Gus and taking this team to the top in 2006 and 2007, but he did a pretty good job here averaging 7.5 wins a year, including three 9 win seasons and a 10 win season in his ten years here.

I'm with you ICEMAN. I enjoy hearing him on the Buzz Wednesday mornings

Sivad

Quote from: RyeHogFan on October 11, 2017, 08:22:01 pm
I seem to remember David Pryor being 100% against the stadium expansion and Long bullheadedly going through with it.
Good.

JOKERHOG

BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Hawg Life

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 11, 2017, 10:51:04 am
Season's end

Porkatarian out...

Anderson will be fired before season's end.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 11, 2017, 08:52:41 pm
worse, a chief's fan

Whatever dude. It's pretty similar to being a Razorback. Lots of buildup to the disappointment that will ultimately ensue.

But hey, we're 5-0!!!

JOKERHOG

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 11, 2017, 08:56:17 pm
Whatever dude. It's pretty similar to being a Razorback. Lots of buildup to the disappointment that will ultimately ensue.

But hey, we're 5-0!!!

I know and quite impressive so far.  MIght be the year the chiefs don't chock
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Ironhawg

So basically the same old-same old with a partially new cast of characters.  Wow.  Exciting. 

WilsonHog

Let's think through the scenario of Long leaving but Bielema being allowed to change two or three assistants and stay.

Given the amount of staff turnover Bret has experienced at UA, the "quality" of some of his current staff, and his well-publicized won-loss record in year 5, what would make anyone believe he suddenly will be able to upgrade his staff this winter? What quality assistants will be up for taking a new job and relocating their families on a bet that Bielema will still be here for the 2019 season?

Long's departure would make it more likely in my mind that Bielema would follow him shortly thereafter, because Long will take with him what little job security Bret still has.

devildoghawg

Jeff Long isn't going anywhere, stop being ignorant.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Hawgphat

Yes indeed, "change is in the air"; and the smell is getting progressively worse with each passing week.

>:(

Piggfoot

Quote from: The NewEra on October 11, 2017, 11:11:51 am
Isn't it ironic that if the GOBN is back in play that it will have been Jeff Long that created the environment to make it happen?  Talk about Irony.

p.s.  I sure hope this doesn't mean we will continue to play in a dump in Little Rock each year with 30-40,000 people in attendance, 100,000 drunks on the golf course and a beautifully redesigned stadium sitting empty in Fayetteville.
No No No   When the GOBN retakes control. LSU and Ole Miss will play in WMS on alternate years. Standing room only. Jumbotrons on the golf course.
Seriously can you honestly say the GOBN was worse than Long?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hawgphat on October 11, 2017, 10:06:17 pm
Yes indeed, "change is in the air"; and the smell is getting progressively worse with each passing week.

I see what you did, there. Slick,if you realize you are sort of parroting Phil Collins' song to make a point.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hawgphat

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 11, 2017, 10:42:57 pm
I see what you did, there. Slick,if you realize you are sort of parroting Phil Collins' song to make a point.

;D

HogFoo

October 11, 2017, 11:02:24 pm #174 Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:15:45 pm by HogFoo
Change is in the air is right.  Number of wins and losses may determine how much change. Heard again today that the Yankee AD was told to look for a job elsewhere.  As for coach, got from now until end of season to see what he can do.  How the season ends, win totals.  Which, there are some winnable games left, but don't think there's enough. Heard that the man himself is thinking it's not a good fit anymore and would he be open to renegotiation of the huge buyout.  But who knows, things change.  I know if Bert wins enough games to be kept, the way the seasons sets up next year is very favorable , along with all the returning starters and injured, more maturity, more experience in system, stronger,faster, better,one would hope anyways.  So, it'd be another 2yrs before he might be let go If he isn't fired or steps down himself at years end.

Like I said in another post, I don't doubt that if given enough time, Bielema could get the job done.  Where as it seemed Petrino did it quicker, it was because he built up the offense 1st, turned it into a scoring machine, then he was just trying to get the Dfense built before going into the ditch.  Bielema is trying to do the offense and defense at the same time. Bring them up equally together, which is a much slower process, with the bad luck of losing Pittman and not replacing him with the same caliber of coach, which was a HUGE setback, so big in fact that it could cost him his job!  But, anyways, Bielema's process is just slower, but once he gets it all up to par, it'd be more sustainable.  I heard Mike Irwin say pretty much the same thing.  Which of course, another setback was that we then switch defenses, so its like, instead of being the same defense, and 1 or 2 guys having to learn new starting position and coverage schemes, EVERYONE is learning the new defense.   Then of course our lockdown CB gets hurt, which is a HUGE blow because now we replace him with a freshman, and then have to help with a safety, so now we arent able to bring the blitz like we wanted.  So, that allows a QB to be able to have as much time as he wants to pick us apart!  It was just a huge blow when Pulley went down.  Bama has so much success with their 3-4 because they have lockdown corners and can go 1on 1 and have ability to blitz blitz blitz.  We cant.   Anyways.. to me, Bielema should have chose either offense or defense.  Built that side up then worked on the other side.  That's how Petrino did it.  Bielema could have did the very same thing and it would have worked!  Hell, if he would have just hired a top OL coach when Pittman left, we'd probably have been ok.  I heard today there is some behind the scenes stuff going on which, ill just say makes me dislike Anderson even more! I wish he was fired already!  Anyways, that's all I got.  End of season will definitely be interesting.  Sadly , I think Bama will blow our doors off. Even tho Saban doesn't really ever try to run it up on us, but Gus will.  Gus will try to beat us as bad as he possibly can in our house!  That's gonna suck.    I'll be glad when this football season is over.  Haven't felt this way about football since the Danny Ford years. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Piggfoot

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 11, 2017, 04:49:15 pm
Decisions still have to pass the BOT's...how come they are blameless by so many folks?
Frank died of Alzheimer's. Who knows when he actually started suffering from it.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

HardCore

Quote from: Karma on October 11, 2017, 07:34:34 pm
If long goes this year, Bret probably stays. You can't fire and hire a coach without an AD.

I will take it.  Long MUST go.  I would suffer through one more 5}{1++¥ season to have him out of the UA system forever.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

KlubhouseKonnected

And kiss off the the best recruiting opportunity we have had in a decade (2019).
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

hoglady

But for Bielema that's standard operating procedure.
Assistants have been changed every year he's been here.
Nothing new about that.
At this point, I'd be shocked if there wasn't assistant turnover every year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tusks

Quote from: HogFoo on October 11, 2017, 11:02:24 pm
Change is in the air is right.  Number of wins and losses may determine how much cgange. Heard again today that the Yankee AD was told to look for job elsewhere.  As for coach, got from now until end of season to see what can do.  How the season ends, win totals.  Which, there are some winnable games left, but don't think there's enough. Heard that the man himself is thinking it's not a good fit anymore and would be open to renegotiation of the buyout.  But who knows, things change.  I know if Bert wins enough games to be kept, the way the seasons sets up next year is very favorable , along with all the returning starters and injured, more maturity, more experience in system, stronger,faster, better one would hope anyways.  So, it'd be another 2yrs before he might be let go again. 

Like I said in another post, I don't doubt that if given enough time, Bielema could get the job done.  Where as it seemed Petrino did it quicker, because he built up the offense 1st, turned it into a scoring machine, then was just trying to get the Dfense built before going into the ditch.  Bielema is trying to do the offense and defense at the same time. Bring them up equally together, which is a much slower process, with the bad luck of losing Pittman and not replacing him with the same caliber of coach, that was a HUGE setback, so big in fact that it could cost him his job!  But, anyways, Bielema's process is just slower, but once he got it all up to par, it'd be more sustainable.  I heard Mike Irwin say the same thing before.  Which of course we then switch defenses, so its like, instead of beung the same defense, and 1 or 2 guys learning new position and coverage schemes, EVERYONE is learning the new defense.   Then of course our lockdown CB gets hurt, which is a HUGE blow because now we replace him with a freshman, and then have to help with a safety, so now we arent able to bring the blitz like we wanted.  So, that allows a QB to be able to have as much time as he wants to pick us apart!  It was just a huge blow when Pulley went down.  Bama has so muvh success with their 3-4 because they have lockdown corners and can go 1on 1 and have ability to blitz blitz blitz.  We cant.   Anyways.. to me, Bielema should have chose either offense or defense.  Built that side up then worked on the other side.  That's how Petrino did it.  Bielema could have did the very same thing and it would have worked!  Hell, if he would have just hired a top OL coach, it would have worked.  I heard today there is behind the scenes stuff going on and it makes me dislike Anderson even more! I wish he was fired already!  Anyways, that's all I got.  End of season will definitely be interesting.  Sadly , I think Bama will blow our doors off. Even tho Saban doesn't really ever try to run it up on us, but Gus will.  Gus will try to beat us as bad as he possibly can in our house!  That's gonna suck.    I'll be glad when this football season is over.  Haven't felt this way about football since the Danny Ford years. 

You have to be a really good or great football coach to win today and BB is not either.  So saying his process takes longer maybe true but the process doesn't give a program winning results.

I don't care if he was on the hill for 10 years, BB would never win 10 games.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HatfieldHog

I have also been told, from a source that claims to know, that there have been "exit" plan in negotiation this week!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

HogFoo

Quote from: tusked on October 11, 2017, 11:11:18 pm
You have to be a really good or great football coach to win today and BB is not either.  So saying his process takes longer maybe true but the process doesn't give a program winning results.

I don't care if he was on the hill for 10 years, BB would never win 10 games.
Sorry, I may have switched to being a "Bertman" , but I disagree with you. If Bielema had just made a better hire than Anderson, we probably win 10games last year. Our OLine is probably much better this year, and we are honestly probably undefeated at this point.  The absolute most important position coach in this offense and team, and we hire a nobody with 7games exp. Coaching the bills!  Anderson was a fail! Huge fail! His supposed NFL teaching techniques aren't working. And I won't get into what else I heard about him but he needs to be fired for not playing the best players. I'll just say that.  Bielema should have went down the list of top 50 "best coach/recruiters " and any of those guys would have been better than what we got here now!   This team wins or loses in the trenches with their OLine.  People would still be on board because we'd of won 10games last year at least , and like I said , we'd probably be undefeated this season if we had a decent to good OLine.  But we dont, and we are where we are. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Porkatarian

Quote from: HawgPound on October 11, 2017, 08:30:21 pm
That is the beauty of a vague post about change. No matter what happens... ..you look like you knew something.

I don't have any inside sources either but if I did they would be saying the same thing.

OK smart@ss, I'm saying that Beilema won't be our coach next season.  Is that vague enough for you?

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Porkatarian

Quote from: Hawgphat on October 11, 2017, 10:06:17 pm

There's light at the end of the tunnel.  Sadly, I'm more looking forward to our upcoming coaching search than I am the rest of the season. 

Porkatarian out...

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 07:04:45 am

OK smart@ss, I'm saying that Beilema won't be our coach next season.  Is that vague enough for you?

Porkatarian out...
LOL!
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Cinco de Hogo

Oh no, let the Gruden tthreads begin!

Porkatarian

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 12, 2017, 07:10:44 am
Oh no, let the Gruden tthreads begin!

Hopefully the Grudenites learned their lesson 5 years ago. 

Porkatarian out...

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

The_Iceman

rhames

News today doesn't seem good for Bret.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 07:12:15 am
Hopefully the Grudenites learned their lesson 5 years ago. 

Porkatarian out...

Are you willing to let us know of any potentials?

Thanks as always
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Seebs

The wonderful thing about all of this is that the national media actually supports the Razorback fans it seems . Year five with a shirt show on the field can only mean the coach and staff failed.

We are not crazy like after the HDN antics - we are simply great fans wanting a competitive product
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hoghearted

Quote from: Seebs on October 12, 2017, 07:27:48 am
The wonderful thing about all of this is that the national media actually supports the Razorback fans it seems . Year five with a shirt show on the field can only mean the coach and staff failed.

We are not crazy like after the HDN antics - we are simply great fans wanting a competitive product

good point
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 11, 2017, 10:41:53 am
Today?  This week?  Next week?  At season's end?

Yes. The leaves are changing colors.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 07:04:45 am

Porkatarian out...
Any idea who they've got their eye on? Just a simple yes or no, no names.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Redhogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 11, 2017, 09:40:08 pm
Let's think through the scenario of Long leaving but Bielema being allowed to change two or three assistants and stay.

Given the amount of staff turnover Bret has experienced at UA, the "quality" of some of his current staff, and his well-publicized won-loss record in year 5, what would make anyone believe he suddenly will be able to upgrade his staff this winter? What quality assistants will be up for taking a new job and relocating their families on a bet that Bielema will still be here for the 2019 season?

Long's departure would make it more likely in my mind that Bielema would follow him shortly thereafter, because Long will take with him what little job security Bret still has.
Exactly...you know what they call doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Porkatarian

Quote from: rhames on October 12, 2017, 07:24:18 am

Are you willing to let us know of any potentials?

Thanks as always

Still way too early for that.  If there has been any back channel communication with perspective head coaches, I am not aware. 

There is a small group on the BOT that absolutely wants Jeff Long to have no part of our next coaching hire.  Can't say I blame them.

Porkatarian out...

ur

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 07:57:07 am
Still way too early for that.  If there has been any back channel communication with perspective head coaches, I am not aware. 

There is a small group on the BOT that absolutely wants Jeff Long to have no part of our next coaching hire.  Can't say I blame them.

Porkatarian out...
This is true

hawgon

I can guess two of them.  One of them is probably the athlete on the board.

The NewEra

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 12, 2017, 07:06:53 am
There's light at the end of the tunnel.  Sadly, I'm more looking forward to our upcoming coaching search than I am the rest of the season. 

Porkatarian out...

This is understandable given the quit the team has shown in games.  You and I didn't create the environment, we are just reacting to it.