Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Wally Watch

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, October 11, 2017, 08:44:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 11, 2017, 10:23:06 am
Lunney has done a good job of in state recruiting.

Lunney has done a good job, and I think he has done a very good job coaching the position as well.  It's not an either or kind of thing.  Horton could have coached running backs.  Saying he should have not let Horton go doesn't mean he shouldn't have hired Lunney.

Horton was as Arkansas as they come and had worked his A off during more than one coaching transition. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hoggie17

Quote from: GuvHog on October 11, 2017, 08:52:33 am
I'll be 62 next month and I haven't read a newspaper since I left my job for health reasons back in 2006.
I haven't read a newspaper since at least 1994. I have been on line for over 25 years.

The NewEra

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2017, 09:04:05 am
The Horton thing was just a hint at where all this Wally thing is coming from.  Long pushed Horton Sr. out at the Foundation and they pushed Horton the Younger out of the football program.  Feelings are still hurt and it is that old guard and the money it is close to that is bringing the heat.  Long made some enemies and seemed untouchable for a while.  But like Icarus, he flew too high and his wings are melting.  The old guard is standing on the ground looking up with pitch forks waiting to catch him.

Loved the Icarus reference.

Johnny Razorback

Quote from: Karma on October 11, 2017, 10:18:37 am
Hogville demanded the GOBN be cleaned up and outsiders brought into to make decisions. Lindsey, Broyles, etc. that supported Nutt had to be purged. That's what happened. Now Hogville is complaining about the outsider in charge and waiting for the GOBN to come back and clean things up.

I actually think both sentiments are correct, but it will be a constant back and forth unless we stumble upon a coach who can consistently win for 8-10 years.

Barring a complete lack of winning, the next coach will get considerable rope from the fanbase as an 8-4 season will compared to the last 5 years and looked upon favorably.  This coach has set us back more than most can imagine because the comparable seasons for the next coach will not be 10 and 11 win seasons with a top 3 ranking at some point in the season.  It will be pretty tough to underperform in the SEC compared to the last 5 years of the current coaches record, so 4-4 in the SEC in a year for the next coach won't be frowned upon quite as much as the current coach especially if we are competitive in the games we lose.  That is what worries me most.  The more time that passes from the Petrino years, the more the fanbase memory fades of what can be achieved at Arkansas.  I'm not saying we can have year after year success like an Alabama, but we have competitive advantages in Arkansas that should keep us competitive year in and year out, and I believe we can consistently be a top 25 team with a chance to beat anyone on any given Saturday.   
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Karma on October 11, 2017, 10:18:37 am
Hogville demanded the GOBN be cleaned up and outsiders brought into to make decisions. Lindsey, Broyles, etc. that supported Nutt had to be purged. That's what happened. Now Hogville is complaining about the outsider in charge and waiting for the GOBN to come back and clean things up.

I actually think both sentiments are correct, but it will be a constant back and forth unless we stumble upon a coach who can consistently win for 8-10 years.
There was nothing wrong with bringing in an outsider to clean up a mess. There was nothing wrong even with that outsider bringing in CBB. The biggest blunder way the huge boost in the buyout after a mediocre season and record.

I am not a big Jeff Long fan, but it is nothing that couldn't be fixed by making a great hire that turns the fortunes of the football team around ....

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: ur on October 11, 2017, 09:45:33 am
crockett at mizzou, Frazier at bama, Hill osu, Norwood ou, Hastings aub. You can throw in the Byers and Powell at Mizzou if you want.

If every single one of those players were on the roster... would the results be different this year?  CBB has done well recruiting Arkansas. 

factchecker

crockett at mizzou, Frazier at bama, Hill osu, Norwood ou, Hastings aub. You can throw in the Byers and Powell at Mizzou if you want.

Crockett - Great player, probably the one true miss of this staff. 71 carries for 449 yards and 2 TDs this season.

Frazier - has done nothing to date in his 4 years at Bama. Has 5 tackles this season.

Hill -  Good player that we offered, got to commit but he flipped to Ohio State.  A lot of drama there as well.  21 catches for 194 yards and 1 TD this season.

Norwood - We didn't offer because we got Kamren Curl and Calloway.  Curl has played above and beyond expectations as a freshman. Norwood has 4 tackles, 1 PBU, and 0 INTs on the season.

Hastings - I really don't know who this is. I guess he is their Drew Morgan or maybe their version of Nance.  A guy comes out of nowhere to lead the team in receiving.  Hastings has 13 catches for 270 yards and 2 TDs.

Byers - We all know his situation.  Byers currently has 1 tackle on the season.

Powell -  I'm pretty sure I've heard people complain that they were tired of quarterbacks from Fayetteville.  Either way Powell was passed over for a taller and more athletic quarterback Hyatt.  Powell has recorded zero stats this season.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Here is a better picture of instate recruits under Bielema:

TOP 5 Arkansas recruits since Coach Bielema hire (according to ESPN):

Hunter Henry     Offered by Arkansas            Signed by Arkansas
Altee Tenpenny     Offered by Arkansas         Signed by Bama
Brooks Ellis     Offered by Arkansas               Signed by Arkansas
Austin Allen     Offered by Arkansas              Signed by Arkansas
Jamar Criswell     NOT Offered by Arkansas      ?

Bijhon Jackson     Offered by Arkansas        Signed by Arkansas
Joshua Frazier     Offered by Arkansas                   Signed by Bama
Jabe Burgess     NOT Offered by Arkansas             Signed by Tulsa
Josh Liddell     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas
Deandre Murray     NOT Offered by Arkansas         Signed by Tulsa

K.J. Hill     Offered by Arkansas                    Signed by Ohio State   
C.J. O'Grady     Offered by Arkansas                      Signed by Arkansas
Will Gragg     Offered by Arkansas                         Signed by Arkansas
Jamario Bell     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas
Dominique Reed     Offered by Arkansas                 Signed by Arkansas (from JUCO)

McTelvin Agim     Offered by Arkansas                     Signed by Arkansas
T.J. Hammonds     Offered by Arkansas                   Signed by Arkansas
John Tate     NOT Offered by Arkansas                   Signed by Memphis
Austin Capps     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas
Jordan Jones     Offered by Arkansas                       Signed by Arkansas

Akial Byers     NOT Offered by Arkansas                 Signed by Mizzou
Montaric Brown     Offered by Arkansas                  Signed by Arkansas
Joshua Johnson     NOT Offered by Arkansas          Signed by Iowa State
Koilan Jackson     Offered by Arkansas                    Signed by Arkansas
Taylor Powell     NOT Offered by Arkansas              Signed by Mizzou

2013: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2013&position=&state=3

2014: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2014&position=&state=3

2015: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2015&position=&state=3

2016: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2016&position=&state=3

2017: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/databaseresults?firstname=&lastname=&collegeid=&class=2017&position=&state=3

9 out of top 25 recruits have left state---- 3 of which had offers from Arkansas (Tenpenny, Frazier, and Hill)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 11, 2017, 09:14:53 am
I posted here about 2 weeks ago that it was a huge judgement error by Bielema to let Horton leave and a couple of obvious know-nothings replied that Horton was worthless. Shows how much many of the folks who post here are totally out of the loop. Not like I am in it but at least I am able to know the players and what they bring to the table, or don't bring to the table.

So, Horton kept Deangelo Williams in-state? That's just one off the top of my head, I probably can think of others if pushed. Tim did fine, but as was mentioned above, his name was brought up by the old -timers to Wally.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 12:57:01 pm
So, Horton kept Deangelo Williams in-state? That's just one off the top of my head, I probably can think of others if pushed. Tim did fine, but as was mentioned above, his name was brought up by the old -timers to Wally.

Williams was three to five years before Horton came back just off the top of my head.

DeltaBoy

Yota spoken
Wally took off the gloves
Rick the Sunshine Pumper shut off
Other Long time Sports writers are firing salvos across the bow.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2017, 01:00:57 pm
Williams was three to five years before Horton came back just off the top of my head.

Horton wasn't here in 2005? Williams was the #27 pick in the 2006 draft.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NFL_Draft

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 01:03:48 pm
Horton wasn't here in 2005? Williams was the #27 pick in the 2006 draft.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NFL_Draft

I don't think Horton got here until at least 2006 or even 2007.

Yep, 2007 was his first year.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2017, 01:04:35 pm
I don't think Horton got here until at least 2006 or even 2007.

Yep, 2007 was his first year.

Ok, I guess I thought he was Nutt's RB coach longer than that. I remember Petrino keeping him. Oh well, I guess Tim never missed a recruit.

elksnort

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2017, 09:04:05 am
The Horton thing was just a hint at where all this Wally thing is coming from.  Long pushed Horton Sr. out at the Foundation and they pushed Horton the Younger out of the football program.  Feelings are still hurt and it is that old guard and the money it is close to that is bringing the heat.  Long made some enemies and seemed untouchable for a while.  But like Icarus, he flew too high and his wings are melting.  The old guard is standing on the ground looking up with pitch forks waiting to catch him.
Nice literary reference. Good stuff, thanks.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 01:09:31 pm
Ok, I guess I thought he was Nutt's RB coach longer than that. I remember Petrino keeping him. Oh well, I guess Tim never missed a recruit.

Horton was here from 2007-12.

Top rated (not based on college production) instate recruits we missed in that time period:

Derek Johnson - signed with Texas
Michael Dyer - signed with Auburn
Dakota Mosley - signed with Auburn
Kiehl Frazier - signed with Auburn
Neal Burcham - signed with SMU
Zac Brooks - signed with Clemson

Crazy that a ton of those players ended at Auburn...... only for Tim to end up there later.  Weird.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

elksnort

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 11, 2017, 11:47:33 am
News flash!  A small group of boosters control EVERY program in the country!
No kidding and this is the way the entire globe works for that matter.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss....

to some extent.

DeltaBoy

Gus saw talent in Tim the Long man didn't.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HognotinMemphis

So you came up with an exception from 20 years ago. Good one.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 11, 2017, 05:39:26 pm
So you came up with an exception from 20 years ago. Good one.
You might want to read more, before looking like a bigger fool. And work on your math skills.

Top rated (not based on college production) instate recruits we missed in that time period:

razorback44

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 11, 2017, 09:05:23 am
He did not name them, just threw out the number.  Only one I could think of off the top of my head was Crockett at Mizzou, a little investigating showed that Byers is contributing there too.  An article about their youth movement said he had significant time on Saturday.  Beyond those two, drawing a blank.

Byers didn't even play last week and has 1 tackle on the season. To say he is contributing is pretty much not true.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

bondhue

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 11, 2017, 09:18:57 am
Yep.  The only thing they hate worse than Long is being on the outside looking in.
Maybe they hate losing.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

ImHogginIt

nm

razorback44

Quote from: bondhue on October 12, 2017, 01:16:25 am
Maybe they hate losing.

We've averaged 7 wins per season since joining the SEC. Maybe they should have cared a long time ago.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

bondhue

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2017, 09:56:38 am
You really think that Long is a go it alone type of guy - that he hasn't built a network of his own supporters with power and access?
Just asking - it would seem to me every AD at every school would want that fall-back in times of trouble.
That and he has turned out to be quite the propagandist.  You can tell who is in the network because they are pushing the propaganda.  Let's all buy an Integrity shirt while we win 4 games this season.

I have no ill will towards CBB, but I hate propagandists.  Peace.  Bread.  Land.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

bondhue

Quote from: razorback44 on October 12, 2017, 01:29:16 am
We've averaged 7 wins per season since joining the SEC. Maybe they should have cared a long time ago.
I thought the assertion was they got pushed out for "the new era."  The new era is quite a thing, isn't it?  I don't know who these troglodytes are supposed to be, nor do I care.  I just know the new era is anemic.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 11, 2017, 08:44:07 am
Not going to regurgitate his entire column.  Of course he more or less brings the pillow, and is fairly passive aggressive but it still signals.

1.  Talks about Alvarez's talk at TD club.  Mentions how they are still winning at UW while we are not.  To me veiled reference that maybe BB's record at UW was more a product of Alvarez than Bielema.

2.  Mentions how line play and recruiting have gone down since Sam Pittman left.  A common theme here on Hogville.

3.  Infers that maybe it was a mistake not to keep Tim Horton.  That Horton locked down in state recruits and 5 in state players are contributing heavily at other P5 schools.

Nothing we don't already know or have not talked about on the board.  Wally is just planting the seeds for the 60+ crowd that still relies on the paper to keep current. 

Waldo (I presume Wally is short for Waldo) needs to do more basic fundamental research.  Waldo is just trying to be "intellectual" with his column (if it can be be called a column;  probably should be called the daily effort).

Bielema's main mistake was not retaining Steve Caldwell.

Another mistake Bielema made was not making Randy Shannon the Defensive Coordinator.

Also, a mistake made by Bielema was him thinking that he could just come into the SEC with his supposed Offensive Line prowress and run roughshod over SEC Defensive Lines.

There are no Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, and Illinois Defensive Lines in the SEC.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 11, 2017, 09:29:26 am
He couldn't keep Petrino.  I know folks think otherwise, but if you keep him around, you're basically surrendering control of the program. You can live this way for a while, but not forever.  Just ask Tom Jurich.

Sheeze..take off the blinders.  Where do you think we're at now?  Just ask Jeff Long.

Losing 25 of 35 conference games, 0-16 when trailing at the half....not good.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 05:50:16 pm
You might want to read more, before looking like a bigger fool. And work on your math skills.

With all but maybe one of those, Horton did a good job in letting them leave the state. Good evaluator of talent regardless of ratings. You see what all our current 4 star O linemen are doing that Bielema signed? Riding the bench. Calling me a fool makes you, and your argument, appear petty. But with 41,000+ comments, I see that you never let anything go without trying to be the one who is always right. Ok. Reply to this so you can have the last word.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HawgPilot

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 12, 2017, 09:32:05 am
With all but maybe one of those, Horton did a good job in letting them leave the state. Good evaluator of talent regardless of ratings. You see what all our current 4 star O linemen are doing that Bielema signed? Riding the bench. Calling me a fool makes you, and your argument, appear petty. But with 41,000+ comments, I see that you never let anything go without trying to be the one who is always right. Ok. Reply to this so you can have the last word.

+1

jvanhorn

Quote from: GuvHog on October 11, 2017, 08:52:33 am
I'll be 62 next month and I haven't read a newspaper since I left my job for health reasons back in 2006.

And evidently you think that is something to be proud of and brag about.  Says a lot more about you than it does the newspaper.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 11, 2017, 10:14:16 am
I don't get it. I have nothing but respect for Norwood and I'm glad he received a D-1A scholarship. Having said all of that Cameron Curl is who we got instead of Norwood and he's starting at CB for the Hogs as a TF. Norwood is racking up special teams play for the Sooners, but I don't believe that he's gotten reps with the defense in actual games, so far this season. I consider the Curl/Norwood signing a wash, as both are decent players. And I'm happy with the player that chose to be a Razorback, as he's playing considerably better than your average true freshman.

Where would Curl be getting his playing time if Pulley had not been injured?  Just saying. . .

presidenthog

I forgot about him, but I would say the 2 we took over him were better, we did take a 3rd that isn't playing so maybe we needed him over who we got.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 11, 2017, 09:14:53 am
I posted here about 2 weeks ago that it was a huge judgement error by Bielema to let Horton leave and a couple of obvious know-nothings replied that Horton was worthless. Shows how much many of the folks who post here are totally out of the loop. Not like I am in it but at least I am able to know the players and what they bring to the table, or don't bring to the table.
You very well may be right. I am not arguing your point.

With that said, what does it say about you and your argument that you are using Wally to validate yourself?
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"