Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Wally Watch

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, October 11, 2017, 08:44:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Not going to regurgitate his entire column.  Of course he more or less brings the pillow, and is fairly passive aggressive but it still signals.

1.  Talks about Alvarez's talk at TD club.  Mentions how they are still winning at UW while we are not.  To me veiled reference that maybe BB's record at UW was more a product of Alvarez than Bielema.

2.  Mentions how line play and recruiting have gone down since Sam Pittman left.  A common theme here on Hogville.

3.  Infers that maybe it was a mistake not to keep Tim Horton.  That Horton locked down in state recruits and 5 in state players are contributing heavily at other P5 schools.

Nothing we don't already know or have not talked about on the board.  Wally is just planting the seeds for the 60+ crowd that still relies on the paper to keep current. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 11, 2017, 08:44:07 am
Not going to regurgitate his entire column.  Of course he more or less brings the pillow, and is fairly passive aggressive but it still signals.

1.  Talks about Alvarez's talk at TD club.  Mentions how they are still winning at UW while we are not.  To me veiled reference that maybe BB's record at UW was more a product of Alvarez than Bielema.

2.  Mentions how line play and recruiting have gone down since Sam Pittman left.  A common theme here on Hogville.

3.  Infers that maybe it was a mistake not to keep Tim Horton.  That Horton locked down in state recruits and 5 in state players are contributing heavily at other P5 schools.

Nothing we don't already know or have not talked about on the board.  Wally is just planting the seeds for the 60+ crowd that still relies on the paper to keep current. 

I'm curious as to just how many bowls of pudding got thrown at the TV set's in the nursing home common rooms around the state last weekend.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawgon

Like I said, it's over at this point.  We're past the point of no return.  They'll both be gone by the end of next year at the latest.

GuvHog

I'll be 62 next month and I haven't read a newspaper since I left my job for health reasons back in 2006.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

What 5 in state players was Wally referring to?

Kevin

Lunney is doing a great job with the in state recruiting
I don't think Horton would help
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

NaturalStateReb

I hope he used the term "Razorback Nation."  It's not really a Wally Hall article otherwise.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

1highhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 11, 2017, 08:57:46 am

That's what I'd like to know.

Hoggish1

Of the three points only No. 1 seems to have significance.  It is starting to be accepted in wide circles (and in those that matter such as the BOT) that BB succeeded at UW because of Alvarez who was no doubt coaching BB behind the scenes on what moves to make.

Again, Long is no Alvarez...

Atlhogfan1

3.  The inbred incest thing. Wally and many would be thrilled with an all Arkansas staff, administration and multiple WMS games.  And a roster 75% from Arkansas with us taking every reach we can.  Those Ark kids love the helmet. 

Guess one would be Crockett. Not very impressive so far this season. Not a position of need this season anyway.

KJ would be two

Frazier at Bama
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 11, 2017, 09:01:47 am
Of the three points only No. 1 seems to have significance.  It is starting to be accepted in wide circles (and in those that matter such as the BOT) that BB succeeded at UW because of Alvarez who was no doubt coaching BB behind the scenes on what moves to make.

Again, Long is no Alvarez...

1 should have been and was IMO the biggest question when BB took the job.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgon

Quote from: Kevin on October 11, 2017, 08:59:59 am
Lunney is doing a great job with the in state recruiting
I don't think Horton would help

The Horton thing was just a hint at where all this Wally thing is coming from.  Long pushed Horton Sr. out at the Foundation and they pushed Horton the Younger out of the football program.  Feelings are still hurt and it is that old guard and the money it is close to that is bringing the heat.  Long made some enemies and seemed untouchable for a while.  But like Icarus, he flew too high and his wings are melting.  The old guard is standing on the ground looking up with pitch forks waiting to catch him.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 11, 2017, 08:57:46 am

He did not name them, just threw out the number.  Only one I could think of off the top of my head was Crockett at Mizzou, a little investigating showed that Byers is contributing there too.  An article about their youth movement said he had significant time on Saturday.  Beyond those two, drawing a blank.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The NewEra

You're spot on Dwight.  There is a systematic process taking place in his columns now.  He's taken a baseball bat, wrapped it in cotton and I expect he'll be swinging it daily from here on out this season.  Regardless of what one thinks of the situation on the hill, Wally's approach is artfully crafted and well orchestrated.

The Hawg Marshal

I don't know how heavily they are all contributing but I'd guess he's talking about  K.J. Hill, Crockett, and Josh Frazier. Not sure about the other two.

edit: You guys beat me to it.

hoglady

I know many people older and younger that read the paper daily - online.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 09:02:35 am
3.  The inbred incest thing. Wally and many would be thrilled with an all Arkansas staff, administration and multiple WMS games.  And a roster 75% from Arkansas with us taking every reach we can.  Those Ark kids love the helmet. 

Guess one would be Crockett. Not very impressive so far this season. Not a position of need this season anyway.

KJ would be two

Frazier at Bama

He does love to keep things "inside the family," which is almost always a mess, especially when it comes time to part ways.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HognotinMemphis

I posted here about 2 weeks ago that it was a huge judgement error by Bielema to let Horton leave and a couple of obvious know-nothings replied that Horton was worthless. Shows how much many of the folks who post here are totally out of the loop. Not like I am in it but at least I am able to know the players and what they bring to the table, or don't bring to the table.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 11, 2017, 09:13:49 am
He does love to keep things "inside the family," which is almost always a mess, especially when it comes time to part ways.

It's why we went outside to hire Long to clean up the incestuous mess Broyles and RF had. This reaction happening now was inevitable.  Those people didn't go away. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 09:18:15 am
It's why we went outside to hire Long to clean up the incestuous mess Broyles and RF had. This reaction happening now was inevitable.  Those people didn't go away. 

Yep.  The only thing they hate worse than Long is being on the outside looking in.

The NewEra

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 11, 2017, 09:14:53 am
I posted here about 2 weeks ago that it was a huge judgement error by Bielema to let Horton leave and a couple of obvious know-nothings replied that Horton was worthless. Shows how much many of the folks who post here are totally out of the loop. Not like I am in it but at least I am able to know the players and what they bring to the table, or don't bring to the table.

It does make one wonder how Jeff Long may have influenced Bielema's decision to let Horton go, with the move Jeff was on to distance the good ole boy network from the internal workings of the program and the Horton's deep ties. 

The Hawg Marshal

Bingo! And they won't.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The NewEra on October 11, 2017, 09:21:15 am
It does make one wonder how Jeff Long may have influenced Bielema's decision to let Horton go, with the move Jeff was on to distance the good ole boy network from the internal workings of the program and the Horton's deep ties.

Jeff was hired to do that. If it had been another AD they still would have been given the same objective. 

So we are saying if Horton had stayed we would have chosen Crockett over the highly rated backs we recruited in that class?  Frazier would have chosen us over Bama?  KJ wouldn't have gotten his feelings hurt and went to Oh St?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: The NewEra on October 11, 2017, 09:21:15 am

My hunch is that he didn't do much one way or the other, but wasn't sad to see it happen.

hawgon

The funny thing is, when Long fired Petrino he cut his own throat and ruined his chances at putting away the GOBN for good.  The only thing that could kill it was success.  If we were winning 8 to 11 games right now it would be dead dead dead and Long would be beloved.

Hubris always gets you in the end.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 11, 2017, 09:21:28 am
Bingo! And they won't.

They'll force change and Frank it up a different way.  But at least many Arkansans will be happy. 

The NewEra

hogonit posted a thread a couple of days ago about a group with strong ties working to get "the band back together again".  I think that was the phrase.  In any case, I didn't know at the time who he was referring to, but it makes sense that this would be the group. 

You know they were just sitting in the wings waiting for the opportunity to pounce.  I'm not sure whether it's good or bad because at least they do have winning football at the top of their list of priorities.  On the other hand, having a small group of boosters controlling a program is concerning.  However, is it more concerning than having just one man (the AD) doing his own thing?  Questions, questions, questions :)

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2017, 09:25:33 am
The funny thing is, when Long fired Petrino he cut his own throat and ruined his chances at putting away the GOBN for good.  The only thing that could kill it was success.  If we were winning 8 to 11 games right now it would be dead dead dead and Long would be beloved.

It is hilarious that you think Petrino was fired for LONG'S hubris.

Good. [CENSORED]. Lord.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2017, 09:25:33 am

He couldn't keep Petrino.  I know folks think otherwise, but if you keep him around, you're basically surrendering control of the program.  You can live this way for a while, but not forever.  Just ask Tom Jurich.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2017, 09:04:05 am
The Horton thing was just a hint at where all this Wally thing is coming from.  Long pushed Horton Sr. out at the Foundation and they pushed Horton the Younger out of the football program.  Feelings are still hurt and it is that old guard and the money it is close to that is bringing the heat.  Long made some enemies and seemed untouchable for a while.  But like Icarus, he flew too high and his wings are melting.  The old guard is standing on the ground looking up with pitch forks waiting to catch him.
My feelings and Tims were hurt over that. He bled Razorbacks and was shoved out. Left promising carreer elsewhere to return home just to part of all things HOG. Now he on the Auburn sideline and yes I've been serious about him being AD.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: The NewEra on October 11, 2017, 09:27:52 am
hogonit posted a thread a couple of days ago about a group with strong ties working to get "the band back together again".  I think that was the phrase.  In any case, I didn't know at the time who he was referring to, but it makes sense that this would be the group. 

You know they were just sitting in the wings waiting for the opportunity to pounce.  I'm not sure whether it's good or bad because at least they do have winning football at the top of their list of priorities.  On the other hand, having a small group of boosters controlling a program is concerning.  However, is it more concerning than having just one man (the AD) doing his own thing?  Questions, questions, questions :)

They have obtaining a controlling interest in Razorback Athletics, Inc. at the top of their list of priorities.  These guys want influence and access.  Success is just the cherry on top.

hawgon

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 11, 2017, 09:29:26 am
He couldn't keep Petrino.  I know folks think otherwise, but if you keep him around, you're basically surrendering control of the program.  You can live this way for a while, but not forever.  Just ask Tom Jurich.

And when you push in all your chips in a loser, this is what happens.  Long is learning why Petrino thought he was untouchable.  People like to win.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hawgon on October 11, 2017, 09:35:00 am
And when you push in all your chips in a loser, this is what happens.  Long is learning why Petrino thought he was untouchable.  People like to win.

Turns out, Petrino was wrong about that.  When Long hired Bielema, he looked like the farthest thing from a loser.  Things even looked up at the end of 2014.  Not $15 million up, but still.

The NewEra

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 11, 2017, 09:31:18 am
They have obtaining a controlling interest in Razorback Athletics, Inc. at the top of their list of priorities.  These guys want influence and access.  Success is just the cherry on top.

I appreciate your insight into an area of the machinery I'm not well versed on.  Thanks!

hawgon

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 11, 2017, 09:37:04 am
Turns out, Petrino was wrong about that.  When Long hired Bielema, he looked like the farthest thing from a loser.  Things even looked up at the end of 2014.  Not $15 million up, but still.

You could make that argument, but you would be largely wrong.

ur

crockett at mizzou, Frazier at bama, Hill osu, Norwood ou, Hastings aub. You can throw in the Byers and Powell at Mizzou if you want.

hoglady

But don't you think Long has most likely created his own incestuous mess.
Certainly, Long has his own cartel of supporters with power and access.
It's the nature of the beast.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2017, 09:49:19 am

Of course. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ur on October 11, 2017, 09:45:33 am
crockett at mizzou, Frazier at bama, Hill osu, Norwood ou, Hastings aub. You can throw in the Byers and Powell at Mizzou if you want.

Norwood I get as far as critizing staff.

Hastings was a walk on kicker and moved to wr.  5-10 167. I would think Byers would be the 5th in the reference. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2017, 09:49:19 am

no.

hoglady

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 11, 2017, 09:52:47 am
no.

You really think that Long is a go it alone type of guy - that he hasn't built a network of his own supporters with power and access?
Just asking - it would seem to me every AD at every school would want that fall-back in times of trouble.

hoghearted

Quote from: hoglady on October 11, 2017, 09:56:38 am
You really think that Long is a go it alone type of guy - that he hasn't built a network of his own supporters with power and access?
Just asking - it would seem to me every AD at every school would want that fall-back in times of trouble.

It's only logical. A high profile CEO has to have allies in all levels of management, loyalists who will have his back.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

snoblind

Exactly.  I've heard names mentioned the past couple of weeks that I originally had heard years ago he upset.  Just bidding their time.

jabberjawls

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 11, 2017, 09:37:04 am
Yeah, i guess going 2-6 in the SEC is "looking up" after going 0'fer the previous year.  Hence the unexplainable megamillion buyout.  Jeff what were you thinking???

The real Hogules

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 11, 2017, 09:52:26 am
Norwood I get as far as critizing staff.

Hastings was a walk on kicker and moved to wr.  5-10 167. I would think Byers would be the 5th in the reference. 

I don't get it. I have nothing but respect for Norwood and I'm glad he received a D-1A scholarship. Having said all of that Cameron Curl is who we got instead of Norwood and he's starting at CB for the Hogs as a TF. Norwood is racking up special teams play for the Sooners, but I don't believe that he's gotten reps with the defense in actual games, so far this season. I consider the Curl/Norwood signing a wash, as both are decent players. And I'm happy with the player that chose to be a Razorback, as he's playing considerably better than your average true freshman.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 11, 2017, 10:14:16 am
I don't get it. I have nothing but respect for Norwood and I'm glad he received a D-1A scholarship. Having said all of that Cameron Curl is who we got instead of Norwood and he's starting at CB for the Hogs as a TF. Norwood is racking up special teams play for the Sooners, but I don't believe that he's gotten reps with the defense in actual games, so far this season. I consider the Curl/Norwood signing a wash, as both are decent players. And I'm happy with the player that chose to be a Razorback, as he's playing considerably better than your average true freshman.
Ok. No argument from me. Good points.

Hogville demanded the GOBN be cleaned up and outsiders brought into to make decisions. Lindsey, Broyles, etc. that supported Nutt had to be purged. That's what happened. Now Hogville is complaining about the outsider in charge and waiting for the GOBN to come back and clean things up.

I actually think both sentiments are correct, but it will be a constant back and forth unless we stumble upon a coach who can consistently win for 8-10 years.

rljjr

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 11, 2017, 09:29:53 am
My feelings and Tims were hurt over that. He bled Razorbacks and was shoved out. Left promising carreer elsewhere to return home just to part of all things HOG. Now he on the Auburn sideline and yes I've been serious about him being AD.

I could get on board with that. I like the guy. He IS a Hog, save for one week of the year because that's his job now.

PorkRinds

Lunney has done a good job of in state recruiting.

Porkatarian

Well said and 100% true!

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."