Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Kelley Play Against 'Bama?

Started by Mike Irwin, October 09, 2017, 08:48:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hassettsportsman

Kelley will have to play at some point.  How many more hits can AA take?  I'm worried about concussion protocol for AA after his Hog career is done!

Rayzback

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

HeathWimp

He only meaningful snaps if AA is not cleared.  He might play the last series or two if Austin is cleared.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

TeufelHog

It's a mistake if he doesn't.  Personally, I think he should start from here on out.  Here's why . . . young man is not afraid to "put the team on his back," tuck the ball, and run it down-field when he needs to.  EVERY SEC TEAM knows AA will not, so it's a threat they do not have to respect.  Obviously the coaching staff doesn't want AA to do that because they are afraid he will get injured.  Well, "NEWS FLASH" he's been taking the punishment anyway due to the lack of OLine protection and is now injured?/dinged-up? anyway.  Every successful SEC team has a dual-threat QB, if for nothing else, to make the opposition honor the additional threat.  We haven't for the last 5 years.

While I appreciate EVERYTHING both AA and BA have accomplished/sacrificed here at Arkansas, it's time to prepare for the future.  Get CK all the reps he needs to prepare for next year and beyond.  Give AA a darn break for heaven's sake.  He's taken enough punishment the last 2 years.  I also think we have seen enough to understand his NFL opportunities are limited at best when compared to Mallett/Wilson/BA.  IMHO, it's just time to move on and prepare for the future.  Will we?  Unfortunately, I do not think so.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I listened to the game on the radio and missed seeing Cole Kelley run the offense, and I can't find any film of it on line yet. I would have thought some SC fan might have uploaded it by now.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

leroyhawg

Quote from: TeufelHog on October 09, 2017, 10:04:55 pm
It's a mistake if he doesn't.  Personally, I think he should start from here on out.  Here's why . . . young man is not afraid to "put the team on his back," tuck the ball, and run it down-field when he needs to.  EVERY SEC TEAM knows AA will not, so it's a threat they do not have to respect.  Obviously the coaching staff doesn't want AA to do that because they are afraid he will get injured.  Well, "NEWS FLASH" he's been taking the punishment anyway due to the lack of OLine protection and is now injured?/dinged-up? anyway.  Every successful SEC team has a dual-threat QB, if for nothing else, to make the opposition honor the additional threat.  We haven't for the last 5 years.

While I appreciate EVERYTHING both AA and BA have accomplished/sacrificed here at Arkansas, it's time to prepare for the future.  Get CK all the reps he needs to prepare for next year and beyond.  Give AA a darn break for heaven's sake.  He's taken enough punishment the last 2 years.  I also think we have seen enough to understand his NFL opportunities are limited at best when compared to Mallett/Wilson/BA.  IMHO, it's just time to move on and prepare for the future.  Will we?  Unfortunately, I do not think so.
Couldn't have said it better myself, and what fans I have talked to feel the same but BB IS the only one that matters, his ass is in the crack, but it's time.
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

AA seems like he's lost it, it's time for Cole, he might die young or he might be competitive,  well wishes to whomever it is
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

BILLYBOB

At this point, what in the world do you have to lose. We ain't beating Alabama. The offense has been horrible. Why not try big man? Maybe he'll rally the team.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

MudBone

October 10, 2017, 05:43:35 am #10 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:55:01 am by MudBone
It might be time for a change, But not this game, would like to see Kelley play for us after this game due to the fact that Alabama defense verses our offense will get the QB's sent to the hospital. Start the 3rd string and hope for the best like keeping the game within 50 points.

Pigdiana Jones

It won't matter who is back there if the line can't keep them from killing the QB. Tom Brady himself wouldn't be any better.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

TexArkHogFan

I predict Kelley will play significant minutes and he will surprise a lot of people.  He tested the water against SC and said, "come on in boys, the water's fine."
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 09, 2017, 08:48:31 pm
Will the Hogs have to start a freshman QB against No. 1 Alabama?
http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/will-kelley-play-against-bama/831486072
He better unless the coaches are okay with Allen being broken in half the first time he holds the ball too long in the pocket when he can't make his reads fast enough.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

riccoar

I don't remember seeing the announcers say anything about Allen, but it was obvious he was side arming his throws sometime in the 2nd half. 

At this point, you would think Bielema would be throwing anything and everything against the wall to save his job.  Status quo ain't getting us anywhere.

DeltaBoy

I hope not I dont want the boy shattered before he really gets going. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

sigpooie

Bs, on the baby to the wolf crap. This kid is ready and is not playing afraid or hurt. He can hit receivers better in a game setting than allen. And I'm sick and tired of Allen acting like a little boy. Cb is gone either way, so he's not going to help us during his last days. So he'll get allen hurt before he puts ck in.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

TNhawgfan

Bama ended FSU's qb's season with an injury, but honestly, that type of hit could happen any game. You don't sit a qb who is healthy in fear of him getting hurt. If CK is ready to be the #1 then let him have it
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

2thebeatya1973

Give me one good reason and it better be good why he shouldn't.

BigBrandonAllenFan

October 10, 2017, 10:58:19 am #19 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:09:13 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
This is the perfect opportunity for Kelley.  He'll get the real feel on exactly what playing on the road in the SEC is all about. 

I'd much rather see Kelley get his first start against the best team in the SEC on the road than against some weak little sister team at home.  Put him in the grinder.  Give him a real test.  Bama may get to him a time or two with a sack, but they are not at all likely to injure his big Goliath @ss.

If you play Bama on the road the first time you start, anything else is a downhill ride from there. 

SSFrazorback

October 10, 2017, 11:03:09 am #20 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:20:28 am by SSFrazorback
Yes, he will. After Bama knocks AA out of the game. With this OL we'll probably see Storey too.

DeltaBoy

But TJ Hammonds in and run the Wildcat all game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Breems

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 09, 2017, 10:12:13 pm
I listened to the game on the radio and missed seeing Cole Kelley run the offense, and I can't find any film of it on line yet. I would have thought some SC fan might have uploaded it by now.

The reply might still be on WatchESPN.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

threeNout

if he doesn't, it means we are not even trying.

010HogFan

Quote from: threeNout on October 10, 2017, 12:11:58 pm
if he doesn't, it means we are not even trying.

This!!! Do something different! Coaches need to do something to show they still care and are trying to innovate with each coming week. Doing the same thing over and over just comes across as literally not caring what happens.

Wildhog

I'd rather not get the future of our football team murdered in his first start.  We're not winning that game, regardless of the QB we start.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

longpig

AA will as likely come out of the game for issues above the shoulders as in the shoulder. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hoginsavga

Whether Kelley or Allen is playing they need to line up every play in the shotgun position instead of under center. I can't think of any successful college team currently running an offense like we run. Even in the fourth quarter against SC Kelley lined up often under center and had to drop back while looking for his receivers.

It's probably too late to expect or even hope for a change in our offense scheme. However, if I were the coach you would definitely see a change in our approach against Bama. There is nothing more to lose at this point.

With regard to AA I really feel sorry for the young man. He looked so promising the first half of last season and I still believe he would be an outstanding qb in the right system. Hopefully he will get his just opportunity during NFL tryouts. I know there are seven games left but I'm afraid his college career is not going to reflect what he could have been.

rmcchris

October 10, 2017, 04:08:44 pm #28 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:22:08 pm by rmcchris
See IA State at Oklahoma.  OK a 31 point favorite AT HOME.   IA St. starts 3rd string QB on depth chart and a freshman.  IA St pulls off biggest upset of maybe all time.  OK ranked #3 in the nation.  #gottabelieve

Mike Irwin

All this talk about Alabama hurting Kelley, do any of you have statistics that show Alabama injures opposing players at a higher rate than other schools?

Alabama may sack him. They may pick him off but Cole Kelley is one of the most solidly built players I've ever seen. I figure he's physical enough to handle himself.

Lanny

A 3rd string QB didn't hurt Iowa State last week
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Rayzback

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 10, 2017, 05:21:39 pm
All this talk about Alabama hurting Kelley, do any of you have statistics that show Alabama injures opposing players at a higher rate than other schools?

Alabama may sack him. They may pick him off but Cole Kelley is one of the most solidly built players I've ever seen. I figure he's physical enough to handle himself.

Agree. Mercer has a red shirt freshman that played Auburn and still has Bama coming up.  Maybe Bama is holding back against teams like Mercer? (Saban's head explodes).
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Calling All Hogs

I suspect Allen will play the whole game even if they have a wheel him out on the field and stand him up.

Wayne Watson

[quote author=Mike Irwin link=topic=639716.msg11023276#msg11023276 date=1507674099
[/quote]

This is why Kelley should be the QB in this game.  Everyone agrees the O-Line is terrible.  They can't protect Allen.  Allen get's on his back too many times and his frustration effects the rest of of the team.  With Allen, it's not a physical thing, it's a mental thing.  Time for a change from the QB, coach and AD.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Wildhog on October 10, 2017, 01:55:48 pm
I'd rather not get the future of our football team murdered in his first start.  We're not winning that game, regardless of the QB we start.
Yeah, and Iowa State hadn't beaten Oklahoma in Norman since like sometime in the 1960's, and it was their first win over OU since 1990.  Better yet, Iowa State did it with their third string QB that was thrust into his first game ever. 

So why do you think Arkansas has no chance if Goliath Kelley gets the start?  If it was over before it started we may as well never get on the plane.

The team will rally around Kelley, but they have no confidence in Allen.  If Arkansas has any chance to win, it is with Kelley.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Lanny on October 10, 2017, 05:23:34 pm
A 3rd string QB didn't hurt Iowa State last week

Nailed it in one short sentence..

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 10, 2017, 07:00:25 pm
I suspect Allen will play the whole game even if they have a wheel him out on the field and stand him up.

TexArkHogFan

I wish we were privy to practice reports.  The entire week should be geared to plays that would benefit Kelley.  If they aren't then that's a coaching problem who clearly refuses to deal with reality.  If our coach thinks we are gonna run the ball down their throat with his hard headed opinion that we are a running team first and foremost then get ready for a long day.    If every single play has to be in the shotgun or Hog Wild formation then so be it.  That being said, our defense is what will kill us.  Bama will probably score on every possession.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on October 10, 2017, 08:26:57 pm
I wish we were privy to practice reports.  The entire week should be geared to plays that would benefit Kelley.  If they aren't then that's a coaching problem who clearly refuses to deal with reality.  If our coach thinks we are gonna run the ball down their throat with his hard headed opinion that we are a running team first and foremost then get ready for a long day.    If every single play has to be in the shotgun or Hog Wild formation then so be it.  That being said, our defense is what will kill us.  Bama will probably score on every possession.

Our defense has not been whipped.  South Carolina scored 3 defensive TD's.  Take away those points and it is 27-22 instead of 48-22.  Look at TCU, look at A&M.  The inability of the offense to help keep the defense off the field is the problem.  Read the tapes.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on October 10, 2017, 01:55:48 pm

Let Storey take one for the team.

Jimbob111

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 10, 2017, 08:25:19 pm

Yep, Bret has his man and he'll stick with him even if it gets Allen murdered on the field. Bret has shown nothing in his past that indicates he will play the most talented player but rather chooses favorites.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Boarcephus

It would be a good move on Bielema's part because nothing excites the fanbase like a new coach or a new qb.  New coach won't happen Saturday but a new qb will help his cause.  You could trot out the second coming of Joe Willie and you still wouldn't win the game because we won't hold them to under 50 unless Saban want to so I say give him a chance. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

010HogFan

Quote from: Jimbob111 on October 11, 2017, 06:45:00 am
Yep, Bret has his man and he'll stick with him even if it gets Allen murdered on the field. Bret has shown nothing in his past that indicates he will play the most talented player but rather chooses favorites.

It was never more evident than when Brandon Allen got hurt in the Mizzou game and he wouldn't put Austin in. As much as he talks about it, he doesn't seem to give a rip about player safety when it's his own players.

Dominicanhog

Early 2nd qtr..... if we are not moving the ball at all ......late 3rd ...if it's out of control.. and, not at all if we are in it w/o him....

Tejano Jawg

There's no reason for Bielema/media to be truthful about Austin's health. Heck, I don't even know how many things are wrong with him.

Saban talked about AA's 400-yard performance (against them in 2016) several times last year. I wish Saban and Co. had a reason to still be worried this year. But nothing AA has shown consistently would make them feel that way. They may be preparing for Kelley right now.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

AirWarren

I hope so.

Sit ogrady too. I'm tired of seeing these 7a west flops killing sustained drives.

Wildhog

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on October 10, 2017, 08:21:53 pm
Yeah, and Iowa State hadn't beaten Oklahoma in Norman since like sometime in the 1960's, and it was their first win over OU since 1990.  Better yet, Iowa State did it with their third string QB that was thrust into his first game ever. 

So why do you think Arkansas has no chance if Goliath Kelley gets the start?  If it was over before it started we may as well never get on the plane.

The team will rally around Kelley, but they have no confidence in Allen.  If Arkansas has any chance to win, it is with Kelley.

OU <> Bama

Bielema <> Campbell
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 10, 2017, 07:00:25 pm
We can call it Weekend at Tuscaloosa.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Hoggish1

So true.  He's also tall enough to see what's coming.

Let Kelley hurt some Bama players...

arthurhawgerelli

What statistics exist on the factor of Arkansas having the two weakest offensive tackles in the SEC?  I don't care how big the QB is, if those men that play D-Line for Bama get after a QB who doesn't have quick lateral movement, there's high possibility Clark Kent at QB could get hurt.

I figure Kelley will play some, or maybe more. Muschamp had called off the big dogs and was liberally subbing. I worry for him, but if Austin is too banged up or gets more banged up, we don't have much choice. Maybe some Wildcat with Chase and TJ taking snaps would be safer.

You don't play the game on paper, but if you did, we don't stand a chance. Thank goodness it will be on the field. Football is a game of momentum. If Austin or Cole hit a few big plays early, who knows?