Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finebaum said Long negotiating new contract.

Started by harrisburghog, October 09, 2017, 04:06:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tigaman

Quote from: Tortfeasor on October 09, 2017, 06:30:19 pm
Too many people are bitching about the amount of the buyout. It is there to protect both parties. If we were winning big no one would have a problem with it, as it keeps other schools from stealing him. Since we aren't winning everyone has an issue with it, like it's their money. It is what it is and the next coach will likely have a large buyout as well. It's called contract negotiations. Both parties want protection.

No it doesn't. The buyout only protects him. If he were to leave tomorrow, he would only owe the university $2 million.

Tortfeasor

Quote from: code red on October 09, 2017, 06:32:10 pm
yeah I'm fine with that but at the time. It made no sense to give an extension. I mean look what Petrino did in a short amount of time. did Brett do that well? In that short amount of time? Let's face it. If you're going to compete in a cc it's about winning.

I would agree, but only to a point. In year 2 and 3 of CBB nobody wanted to play us late in the year. We were a very physical team and winning. I can see an extension at that point, as we all thought we would continue to get better and really compete. If someone says they saw this type of downfall they are simply lying.

hogcard1964

Too many people are bitching about the amount of the buyout. It is there to protect both parties. If we were winning big no one would have a problem with it, as it keeps other schools from stealing him. Since we aren't winning everyone has an issue with it, like it's their money. It is what it is and the next coach will likely have a large buyout as well. It's called contract negotiations. Both parties want protection.

Everyone knows that. It was a horrible deal.

Tortfeasor

I stand corrected on that point if his buyout is $2m. But I'm sure he wanted a large buyout coming from a winning program to a pile of Sh$t.

Scott7703

Quote from: jcbville on October 09, 2017, 05:22:39 pm
Youre going to be shocked then.

Long will be shown the door if he doesn't change his ways and learn when to bend. There are multiple "important people" ready to see him gone today.

hoghearted

the only thing that arrangement does is shield BB from a firing. There's very little protection for the university. It was a DA move on Long's part, as it didn't protect the program much at all.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

ricepig

Quote from: longpig on October 09, 2017, 06:24:40 pm
It may go over budget like a lot of projects do, but it won't start doing so for another 9 months or longer.

There was a $20M fudge factor built into the costs, if any ever bothered reading BOT minutes. So, we're $80m over budget putting up the steel and pouring some concrete, DOD must be overseeing this project.....

Hoggish1

Quote from: hobhog on October 09, 2017, 04:16:31 pm

But Long is a highly respected AD and isn't going anywhere.

Well, a lot of people knew he was going nowhere.   I have no idea where he'll go next...

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 09, 2017, 06:58:34 pm
Well, a lot of people knew he was going nowhere.   I have no idea where he'll go next...

LOL.  Outstanding post.

HardCore

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 09, 2017, 05:31:06 pm
Go ahead and write the check and send it since you feel so strongly about it.

I'm in for the first $1,000.....down to $99K
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Augustus

No, the contract ridiculously favors Bret more than the University.

If the University fires Bret without cause (for not winning games), the UofA owes Bret $15.4 Million before 1/1/2018. At that point, the buyout drops to $11.5 Million, and keeps dropping every year.

If Bret was hired by another School? Bret's penalty to buy his contract out is VERY disproportionate.  in 2015, Bret would have owed the UofA $4 Million for leaving to go to another his school. in 2017? Bret would owe the UofA somewhere between $2-$3 Million to leave for another school.  That keep dropping every year until 2020 as well.

Now, if Bret were to resign due to inept performance?  I'm sure Bret and the UofA may come to an agreement to waive both sides of the buyout, and part ways mutually... as we saw today with Oregon State's coach.

But... the buyout is heavily, HEAVILY in Bret's favor.  The University's only "protection" at this point is Bret is doing so poorly that no other school would want to poach him.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Tortfeasor on October 09, 2017, 06:38:25 pm
I stand corrected on that point if his buyout is $2m. But I'm sure he wanted a large buyout coming from a winning program to a pile of Sh$t.

No one has a problem with the initial buyout.  It was Long extending the buyout, which per the original contract should have been down to $6.4 million by now that is the problem.

PorkSoda

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 09, 2017, 07:05:56 pm
No one has a problem with the initial buyout.  It was Long extending the buyout, which per the original contract should have been down to $6.4 million by now that is the problem.
the buyout is of course going to be extended with his contract.  the buyout was 4 years or the remainder of the contract, whichever is less, and it still is.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on October 09, 2017, 06:54:59 pm
There was a $20M fudge factor built into the costs, if any ever bothered reading BOT minutes. So, we're $80m over budget putting up the steel and pouring some concrete, DOD must be overseeing this project.....

If we are $80 million over budget at this point, JL needs to be fired today.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Augustus on October 09, 2017, 07:04:53 pm
No, the contract ridiculously favors Bret more than the University.

If the University fires Bret without cause (for not winning games), the UofA owes Bret $15.4 Million before 1/1/2018. At that point, the buyout drops to $11.5 Million, and keeps dropping every year.

If Bret was hired by another School? Bret's penalty to buy his contract out is VERY disproportionate.  in 2015, Bret would have owed the UofA $4 Million for leaving to go to another his school. in 2017? Bret would owe the UofA somewhere between $2-$3 Million to leave for another school.  That keep dropping every year until 2020 as well.

Now, if Bret were to resign due to inept performance?  I'm sure Bret and the UofA may come to an agreement to waive both sides of the buyout, and part ways mutually... as we saw today with Oregon State's coach.

But... the buyout is heavily, HEAVILY in Bret's favor.  The University's only "protection" at this point is Bret is doing so poorly that no other school would want to poach him.

Isn't that 11.5 + his 4.4 after the first of the year.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 09, 2017, 07:14:46 pm
If we are $80 million over budget at this point, JL needs to be fired today.

The only thing I heard was a little over budget, was putting up the two big screens in time for the first home game. I don't think as much as over budget, but I understand there was a performance bonus to get it done in time.

(notOM)Rebel123

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on October 09, 2017, 06:54:59 pm
you serious clark?  that is a little more than just a error in the estimate. 

I'd be curious if you had a link to the minutes you are referring to.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on October 09, 2017, 07:18:58 pm
The only thing I heard was a little over budget, was putting up the two big screens in time for the first home game. I don't think as much as over budget, but I understand there was a performance bonus to get it done in time.

I see. Thanx

Augustus

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 09, 2017, 07:15:36 pm
Isn't that 11.5 + his 4.4 after the first of the year.

Yes and no.

on 1/1/2018, UofA would owe 11.5 Million if they fire Bret.

In 2015, as part of the renegotiation, Bret's owed the UofA 4 Million if he left in 2015.  His side to buyout his contract has dropped every year since, and now is somewhere between 2-3 Million if he leaves.

By 2020, for him to buyout his contract if he left, will be 500K. (Assuming he resigns like Spurrier, etc... and the UofA doesn't waive Bret buying his contract out)

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on October 09, 2017, 07:18:58 pm
80 mil seems way high but does happen a lot. I had an experience while building a large home. 2.4 mil. All was fine. Delays on starting happened (6-8 mo.) a hurricane had happened as well as other national economic issues and the wood alone had gone up several hundred thousand dollars. Actually wood has never recovered.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 09, 2017, 07:21:03 pm
you serious clark?  that is a little more than just a error in the estimate. 

No, that was a question?? As in there shouldn't be any way in he'll to be over budget with what has been done. Everyone does know that the $160m includes building the Founder's suites on the east side and redoing all existing suites, club areas, and turning the "A" room into usable space.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 09, 2017, 07:24:14 pm
80 mil seems way high but does happen a lot. I had an experience while building a large home. 2.4 mil. All was fine. Delays on starting happened (6-8 mo.) a hurricane had happened as well as other national economic issues and the wood alone had gone up several hundred thousand dollars. Actually wood has never recovered.
I don't think steel and concrete have gone up much since the start, haha.

rude1

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 09, 2017, 07:12:17 pm
the buyout is of course going to be extended with his contract.  the buyout was 4 years or the remainder of the contract, whichever is less, and it still is.
You can extend the contract without extending the buyout. You don't extend your buyout to a coach who just won his first TWO conference games in route to a 7-6 season. Dumbest contract EVER!!!!!!!!

The Kig

Quote from: harrisburghog on October 09, 2017, 05:17:33 pm
I would be shocked if the BOT would allow this to happen.

I would be shocked if the BOT was dumb enough to NOT allow this to happen.  Long, despite what some ignorant knuckle draggers think about his not being from Arkansas, is well respected for good reason.  We are fortunate to have him, but someday those who dislike him will get your wish...and then hate whoever replaces him.
Poker Porker

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on October 09, 2017, 07:27:47 pm

It wasn't just wood, I just looked up the numbers and the wood was 61% of the rise but the others, concrete was involved, steel too. You'd be surprised what conditions will raise these items a few cents per different kinds of foot and how it adds up. That a whole lot of red iron n concrete.

Hawgphat

People at the top of The Big Dog Pyramid don't listen to people like us.  They don't have to.  That's a sad fact of life.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: The Kig on October 09, 2017, 07:31:36 pm
I would be shocked if the BOT was dumb enough to NOT allow this to happen.  Long, despite what some ignorant knuckle draggers think about his not being from Arkansas, is well respected for good reason.  We are fortunate to have him, but someday those who dislike him will get your wish...and then hate whoever replaces him.

I'm willing to take a chance.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rude1 on October 09, 2017, 07:31:25 pm
You can extend the contract without extending the buyout. You don't extend your buyout to a coach who just won his first TWO conference games in route to a 7-6 season. Dumbest contract EVER!!!!!!!!
um, the buy out stayed the same, "4 years guaranteed or the duration of the contract whichever is less".  but the contract was extended.  CBB salary also went from 3.2 to 3.85 mil per year.   

that is the change you are seeing.  the buyout didn't actually change.  just the rate and duration of the contract changed.

PorkSoda

EastexHawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 09, 2017, 05:37:30 pm
Jeff Long didn't lose games for us. But he is doingagreatjob on facility upgrades. I'm glad to have him. The coach in question tho? He needs to go.

So Long can hire his replacement?  What in the...

KennyForAD

Quote from: hobhog on October 09, 2017, 04:16:31 pm
You know things are bad when people cling to everything Pawl and Wally say.....and probably not the best time for JL to be negotiating anything so I say BS.

But Long is a highly respected AD and isn't going anywhere.

Not by the only group which matters:  Coaches.  They all saw Long;

1) Tell an outrageous lie - that the UofA had been exposed to liability for the hiring of Petrino's girlfriend, and would be open to numerous lawsuits (After his lawyers had advised him that there was NO potential liability whatsoever);

2) Grandstand, taking advantage of his coach's and his school's misfortune and using the crisis to promote himself.  Examples:  Pretending to cry on national tv, pretending to offer Petrino a way to remain coach, and dragging out the fiasco as long as he possibly could; and

3) Go public with aspects of the story which were not publicly known, which was not necessary.  Instead of handling things professionally, and with dignity and integrity, and trying to resolve the crisis in the best interests of the UofA, he aired his coach's, the girlfriend's and the school's dirty laundry (some of which Long was lying about).  In short, HE KICKED ONE OF HIS COACHES WHEN HE WAS DOWN, just to promote himself.

Jeff Long may well be respected among the media and the masses of fools who don't know a darned thing, but what does that get us?  NOTHING.  Because he is NOT respected among those who matter.   The coaches all know him as the rotten fink that he IS.

THIS IS WHY HE DESPERATELY DOES NOT WANT TO FIRE BB... HE KNOWS THAT THERE ARE PRECISELY ZERO COACHES WHO WILL WORK FOR HIM AMONG THOSE WHO HAVE ANY OTHER OPTION.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 09, 2017, 07:31:48 pm
It wasn't just wood, I just looked up the numbers and the wood was 61% of the rise but the others, concrete was involved, steel too. You'd be surprised what conditions will raise these items a few cents per different kinds of foot and how it adds up. That a whole lot of red iron n concrete.

The was a GMP from the General contractor before the job was started on the NEZ. All sub-contractor bids were to be at least by three firms with an understanding that anything that didn't fall into the GMP would be negotiated down, or a change would be ordered to accomplish this. Can the thing cost $240m, sure, but it would take more than the athletic department saying yes.

As to your job, that's why you lock your prices in ahead of time.

3kgthog

Is the LR stadium debate going to have any leverage with the big money in Central Arkansas? I can't imagine they want the Hogs to end the contract, so could Jeff buy himself more time with those folks by giving  WMS some CPR?

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ricepig on October 09, 2017, 07:46:08 pm
The was a GMP from the General contractor before the job was started on the NEZ. All sub-contractor bids were to be at least by three firms with an understanding that anything that didn't fall into the GMP would be negotiated down, or a change would be ordered to accomplish this. Can the thing cost $240m, sure, but it would take more than the athletic department saying yes.

As to your job, that's why you lock your prices in ahead of time.
Or make sure someone smarter than you looks , and looks again to cover your rear end.

HogSlop84

The Razorback Foundation had to approve the buyout, and they're not going to okay something like that, if they don't have the money to pay for it. Hogs go 3-9 or 4-8 bye bye.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 09, 2017, 07:42:13 pm

1) Tell an outrageous lie - that the UofA had been exposed to liability for the hiring of Petrino's girlfriend, and would be open to numerous lawsuits (After his lawyers had advised him that there was NO potential liability whatsoever);

2) Grandstand, taking advantage of his coach's and his school's misfortune and using the crisis to promote himself.  Examples:  Pretending to cry on national tv, pretending to offer Petrino a way to remain coach, and dragging out the fiasco as long as he possibly could; and

3) Go public with aspects of the story which were not publicly known, which was not necessary.  Instead of handling things professionally, and with dignity and integrity, and trying to resolve the crisis in the best interests of the UofA, he aired his coach's, the girlfriend's and the school's dirty laundry (some of which Long was lying about).  In short, HE KICKED ONE OF HIS COACHES WHEN HE WAS DOWN, just to promote himself.

Jeff Long may well be respected among the media and the masses of fools who don't know a darned thing, but what does that get us?  NOTHING.  Because he is NOT respected among those who matter.   The coaches all know him as the rotten fink that he IS.

THIS IS WHY HE DESPERATELY DOES NOT WANT TO FIRE BB... HE KNOWS THAT THERE ARE PRECISELY ZERO COACHES WHO WILL WORK FOR HIM AMONG THOSE WHO HAVE ANY OTHER OPTION.

Well we're about to see here shortly.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: HogSlop84 on October 09, 2017, 10:44:05 pm
The Razorback Foundation had to approve the buyout, and they're not going to okay something like that, if they don't have the money to pay for it. Hogs go 3-9 or 4-8 bye bye.
I'm just one hog fan but we've paid coach B. 4.4 already this year. To give him 11.5 more and make it 15...for this mess is mind boggling.I don't care if its the current climate of the game or whatever, that's just nuts.Surely smarter folks than me cannot let this AD continue to be employed here. I'm a lowly carpenter and if I went to work for someone and botched the job I was hired to do then I would be fired.

PorkRinds

If Long gets an extension right now Hogville may explode.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: ricepig on October 09, 2017, 07:27:47 pm

Left your car in airport parking lately.

STLhawg

Too many people are bitching about the amount of the buyout. It is there to protect both parties. If we were winning big no one would have a problem with it, as it keeps other schools from stealing him.
It most certainly did NOT protect the school -- and that is precisely the problem many people have with it!  They buyout is so incredibly lopsided it really only projects BB.  On the other hand BP's did actually protect BOTH parties.  Why would Long agree to make the buyout for BB so different and unfavorable for the UofA?  The only reason anyone can come up with it because it was in Long's best interest -- it certainly was not Arkansas' best interest.

Pork Twain

I hope we sign him for a long time.  I do not see him as the problem and other than the crazy buy-out, I love what he has done here
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

Brets buyout is not both ways, his large buyout is only if we want to can him.   If he leaves in his own it's like 1 mil

Pork Twain

False
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Cure

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on October 09, 2017, 04:24:51 pm

Just heard it. New contract for Long since his expires in June
Excellent, he'll just need to work something out with CBB.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Inhogswetrust

October 10, 2017, 05:46:02 am #95 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 05:57:55 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 09, 2017, 07:24:14 pm

I've been involved with building hotels. Anytime there is building there are unexpected delays, expenses and such that are factored in. The thing to do as Rice mentioned is have a fudge factor built in. Now if the fudge factor doesn't cover any overruns there is a problem. However a lot of costs are born towards the front end of a project. For example in building a house the biggest cost are foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing, etc.  Also as in this case you sometimes have demolition costs. They haven't even gotten it in the dry but some ovrrunsare to be expected. The question is how much. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't over budget some but not that much. All that being said IF they are truly $80 million over budget then there is a huge problem and Jeff and the contractor have a lot of explaining to do. It also means they might have to cut back on some of the finishing details or other things budgeted such as the east side, existing club areas and A club remodeling. One would need to look at the Gantt Chart and compare to actual cost spent already to assess any reasonable cost overruns at this point though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

moses_007

I wonder if this so-called "contract extension" news isn't a smokescreen for getting a full explanation from Jeff Long about what he is going to do with the losingest football coach in Arkansas history.

Inhogswetrust

That's the biggest bunch of bull posted on the subject.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RedRock

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 09, 2017, 08:00:10 pm
Is the LR stadium debate going to have any leverage with the big money in Central Arkansas? I can't imagine they want the Hogs to end the contract, so could Jeff buy himself more time with those folks by giving  WMS some CPR?
Those big money donors left the building a few years back.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 09, 2017, 06:05:36 pm
JL couldn't approve it by himself. Other higher-ups had to agree to it, as well.

Sounds kind of like Petrino's hire of JD.