Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Leach

Started by PoormansRobbyHampton, October 08, 2017, 09:41:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PoormansRobbyHampton

Should succeed Bret Bielema when he moves on.

Think about it, Arkansas would be the best job Leach has ever had, yet he still won big at Texas Tech and has Washington State poised to contend for a Pac 12 title. Washington State.

I believe that we need a guy that thinks outside the box and has a little bit different approach to football to win big here. That's what Bobby Petrino did, and Leach could do.

I'm not sure how popular he'd be or how excited folks would be about Leach, but I would be very excited to have him here.

longpig

Mike Leach post #74659
Don't be scared, be smart.

majp51

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on October 08, 2017, 09:41:05 pm
Should succeed Bret Bielema when he moves on.

Think about it, Arkansas would be the best job Leach has ever had, yet he still won big at Texas Tech and has Washington State poised to contend for a Pac 12 title. Washington State.

I believe that we need a guy that thinks outside the box and has a little bit different approach to football to win big here. That's what Bobby Petrino did, and Leach could do.

I'm not sure how popular he'd be or how excited folks would be about Leach, but I would be very excited to have him here.

Look I like Mike Leach a lot, and think he got shafted at Texas tech, but come on why on earth would he leave WSU for Arkansas. He's paid well , lives in a state that will complete ignore all his craziness, and the University doesn't have high expectations. Last but not least it would be a lateral move at least.

If you want a good coach who thinks outside the box and we could actually have a chance to acquire, look at Chad Morris.

mutt

yall must think we need our players locked in a closet

moses_007

He took a program that had no talent and in 5 years built into a Pac-10 contender and a likely top 10 team this week.  He only makes $2.5 million at Washington State.  I'd bet we could get him for $3.5 million or so.

He's a little quirky, but so was Petrino.  Who cares if he's a little quirky as long as he can win football games?

BrianG

Quote from: mutt on October 08, 2017, 09:47:06 pm

Some of em...maybe.  Leach will accept the job right after Gruden finishes up.

Hoggie17

Mike Leach makes 3.2 Million at Washington State, Jeff Brohm makes 3.5 Million at Purdue. Mike would win because he thinks outside the box.  Jeff coaches like BP. I rather have Jeff but either one would be a good choice.

Danny J

If Long is making the next hire you can scratch him off the list and I would bet the house on it.

hawganatic

How about we find a coach that knows how to act like a leader.  HDN was an embarrassment in public, Petrino pissed everybody off, and Beliema, well he's an embarrassment.  Leach would call the players girlfriends fat and lock the players in a closet like he did at Texas Tech.

No "characters" or over the top personalities anymore.  Somebody who projects discipline and leadership.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hawganatic on October 08, 2017, 09:50:39 pm
How about we find a coach that knows how to act like a leader.  HDN was an embarrassment in public, Petrino pissed everybody off, and Beliema, well he's an embarrassment.  Leach would call the players girlfriends fat and lock the players in a closet like he did at Texas Tech.

No "characters" or over the top personalities anymore.  Somebody who projects discipline and leadership.
Sabin pisses a lot people off, but he wins.  CBB is Mr nice guy, hows that working out?

hawgmasta

I bet Leach is the kind of guy who smokes a lot of pot. Why would you leave the promise land of Washington then?

hawganatic

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 08, 2017, 09:57:45 pm
Sabin pisses a lot people off, but he wins.  CBB is Mr nice guy, hows that working out?

Saban is a lot more respected than Petrino is, and it's not just because of their coaching records.

Not sure what your point was anyway...

Smashmouth2004

Hoggie17

Quote from: hawganatic on October 08, 2017, 09:59:53 pm
Saban is a lot more respected than Petrino is, and it's not just because of their coaching records.

Not sure what your point was anyway...
Point is, I want a coach that can win at Arkansas.  I am not much concerned about his personality.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 08, 2017, 10:03:09 pm
Point is, I want a coach that can win at Arkansas.  I am not much concerned about his personality.

Same here. He's definitely got his little quirks or whatever, but he's enjoyed a lot of success.

TX HOG

He's definitely a different dude, but I kinda like it. He's been successful so hard to argue against it.

hawganatic

There's a correlation between how a coach carries himself on/off the field, and their on field success.

You ever wonder why Leach hasn't been picked up by one of the major schools?

Hoggie17

Quote from: hawganatic on October 08, 2017, 10:16:04 pm
There's a correlation between how a coach carries himself on/off the field, and their on field success.

You ever wonder why Leach hasn't been picked up by one of the major schools?
Mike is a little different, he is not my first choice but he could win at Arkansas.  My first choice is Jeff Brohm.

hogsanity

and you know, in advance, which coach would win at Arkansas?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Michael_E_Davis

Personally,  I think Jeff Long will go after Rhett Lashlee.  I don't know how good he would do here,  but I think Jeff will go after him because he could get him pretty easy.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Hoggie17

Quote from: hogsanity on October 08, 2017, 10:30:24 pm
and you know, in advance, which coach would win at Arkansas?
Dabo Swinney, Nick Sabin, Chris Petersen, and Chip Kelly.

longpig

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 08, 2017, 10:40:30 pm
Personally,  I think Jeff Long will go after Rhett Lashlee.  I don't know how good he would do here,  but I think Jeff will go after him because he could get him pretty easy.

Then you shouldn't think.

hogsmash12

I would be ecstatic with Leach...or any number of options....Rhett Lashlee no....Jeff Brohm sure....Venables, hell yea...or even the Iowa state coach that beat us when he was at toledo...Don't even mention Dabo, Nick, Chip, or Chris....never gonna happen

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: longpig on October 08, 2017, 11:21:19 pm
Then you shouldn't think.

That was a really cool insult,  which is really easy to do.  Hell, my seven-year-old daughter comes up with some zingers.  However,  I would be more impressed if you came up with an intelligent rebuttal. Let's see if you are capable of that.  I have my doubts.

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Tusks

The table is set pretty good for a Leach, Norvell, Brohm, to come in a start winning pretty quick.  Great offensive skill players, great group of QB's on campus, one is a mountain man with a big arm, I think a decent group of OL that are desperate for some really great coaching.  Same with the defense, lots of pieces but they need imagination to put them together.

I'd love for Agim to be a DT to the strong side on 1st down, a MLB on 2nd with a delayed blitz, and then a stand up DE on the weak side on 3rd down.

100%Razorback

Absolutely NO to Mike Leach!!! Are you freakin kidding me??

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Bret Bielema has Built the roster the way danny ford did, and leach (or whoevers next) will benefit the same way Houston nutt did
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogsanity

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 09, 2017, 08:15:01 am
Bret Bielema has Built the roster the way danny ford did, and leach (or whoevers next) will benefit the same way Houston nutt did

That happens at alot of places. One guy does the heavy lifting, and then a new guy comes in and reaps the rewards.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

how bout we pull another "malzahn" and hire an instate high school coach as Arkansas OC. Kevin Kelley comes to mind
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

nwahogfan1

Brett has done a pretty good job of assembling talent so I think the job would be a very position for lots of Coaches.  It was a total dumpster fire when Bret got here.

Long or who ever did the hiring would have lots of good options.

deserthoag

I don't think Leach would come. He makes over 3 million a year and is at a place that is very pleased with just making a bowl. He walks to work (40 minutes almost everyday) and the stadium seats only 33,000. This is a laid back place that he can win at. #8 in the nation this week and has beaten powerhouse USC. The key with Leach is, he has the edge to win games. His air raid offense has worked every where he's coached and is hard to stop. We do have to get a coach that thinks out of the box and Leach is that. The same old thing of doing what everyone else is doing is BS.

Dwight_K_Shrute

My wife claims Mike Leach is on the spectrum.  She had never heard him talk before and after a minute of post game she said it.  I replied "oh he's just different"  She said "Don't say that, he's on the spectrum"  Never thought about it before but could be true. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Wildhog

I like Leach, but he's like 57 years old, and would he really want to come build another program from the ground up?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

prattville pig

He locks people in tool sheds for goodness sake, we already have a dumpster fire!!!
Life's too short to last long.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 08, 2017, 10:40:30 pm

Long goes after Lashlee just because he could get him pretty easily?  I see your point but Rhett doesn't exactly have the resume yet to be a P5 coach.

Tusks

The only heaving lifting BB has done is cheeseburgers and beer.

Kevin

no to leach. like to get someone younger.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: prattville pig on October 09, 2017, 11:40:09 am
He locks people in tool sheds for goodness sake, we already have a dumpster fire!!!

The kid was never locked in the shed.  That entire situation had more to do with Craig James being a helicopter parent and a PAB than any mistreatment of players.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Ben

Leach could do it.

He took a below mediocre Texas Tech school and finished in the top 25 5 times. Before he came, Tech only finished 7 times in the Top 25. He won 11 games, and was #2 for a week or two late in the season, controlling their destiny to a National Title game in 2008.

At Wash St, he took a team to a bowl game for the first time in 10 years. Now they are sitting at #8 with a pretty good shot at a Pac-12 title if they get passed Washington.

Leach would be alright. A program changer for sure. But people would want him gone if they don't see big results in year 2
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

PEtrader

Quote from: mutt on October 08, 2017, 09:47:06 pm

Could he lock coach B in a closet?
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

PEtrader

Quote from: tusked on October 09, 2017, 11:42:51 am
The only heaving lifting BB has done is cheeseburgers and beer.

He goes alot heavier than beer.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Ironhawg

Quote from: PEtrader on October 09, 2017, 11:48:48 am
Could he lock coach B in a closet?

It would have to be a darn big closet.

WilsonHog

Tim Brando of Fox was asked about rumors of Leach to the SEC a couple of days ago. His answer was, "No."

His rationale was that Leach is a contrarian and a little bit of a character, which does not fit well in the SEC. As he put it, SEC ADs would rather keep hiring old re-treads or coaches the Saban tree than think outside the box. The biggest out-of-the box hire of the last 20 years was Long hiring Bielema, and that one blew up in his face.

I'll wager we won't see a repeat.

longpig

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 08, 2017, 11:38:26 pm
That was a really cool insult,  which is really easy to do.  Hell, my seven-year-old daughter comes up with some zingers.  However,  I would be more impressed if you came up with an intelligent rebuttal. Let's see if you are capable of that.  I have my doubts.

Takes after her mother.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 08, 2017, 10:42:01 pm
Dabo Swinney, Nick Sabin, Chris Petersen, and Chip Kelly.

The biggest reward for building something is to hang around and enjoy the success after it is built. Which eliminates Dabo and Nick. Petersen will never leave the climate of the northwest due to his sons health condition and has said so repeatedly. That leaves CK. With the number of top tier programs looking for a coach at the end of this season, I can say with absolute certainty CK is not coming to Arkansas. So the short version of your answer is No.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on October 09, 2017, 12:49:40 pm
The biggest reward for building something is to hang around and enjoy the success after it is built. Which eliminates Dabo and Nick. Petersen will never leave the climate of the northwest due to his sons health condition and has said so repeatedly. That leaves CK. With the number of top tier programs looking for a coach at the end of this season, I can say with absolute certainty CK is not coming to Arkansas. So the short version of your answer is No.

There are really a lot of good coaches that I think we could get.  I guess I'm the only one that's not worried about finding a suitable replacement. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on October 09, 2017, 12:51:21 pm
There are really a lot of good coaches that I think we could get.  I guess I'm the only one that's not worried about finding a suitable replacement.

I agree with you. I just get tired of people saying we need to hire saban, kelly, petersen and swinney. Those are not realistic options.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on October 09, 2017, 12:57:20 pm
I agree with you. I just get tired of people saying we need to hire saban, kelly, petersen and swinney. Those are not realistic options.

Yeah, but most people are morons.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi