Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING: Jordan Phillips calls Hogs, story w/quotes, analysis plus highlights

Started by Kevin McPherson, October 08, 2017, 06:34:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

BREAKING: 2018 Jordan Phillips (6-6 wing, Arlington, TX) calls the Hogs ... story w/quotes, analysis ... plus highlights

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/jordan-phillips/

Two Highlights reels here ... (one of these was posted yesterday by Iceman, but thought I'd add another here in the OP today)

http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/661525

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6kjilQOGUQ

Hawg Red

rzrbackramsfan

Pinto

Good call by you once again Kevin. Hopefully your confidence level will be high with Chaney or Leblanc soon....

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

rzrbackramsfan

He had a pretty impressive offer list.  Another crux in the argument that CMA can't get out of state players. 

la20688

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 08, 2017, 07:44:57 pm
This is getting to crazy!!! Dynasty is coming, just wait.
Now,we, the fans need to do our part and start filling the Bud up....from the very start of this season!

Kevin McPherson

FWIW, Hogs are now No. 10 according to 247Sports' team rankings for c/ 2018, and the Hogs are No. 16 in the composite national team rankings (composite is an aggregate of the 4 major services -- ESPN, Scout, Rivals, and 247Sports).

The_Iceman

Hogberry Snortcake

onebadrubi

Mike has all the pieces around a big to really be a national contender the nExt 3-6 years if we can't get some good bigs behind gafford. 

hawgmasta

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on October 08, 2017, 09:13:12 pm
FWIW, Hogs are now No. 10 according to 247Sports' team rankings for c/ 2018, and the Hogs are No. 16 in the composite national team rankings (composite is an aggregate of the 4 major services -- ESPN, Scout, Rivals, and 247Sports).
Hey Kevin do you know Phillips official height? Is it closer to 6'5 or 6'7?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

HogFoo

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on October 08, 2017, 11:06:07 pm
it seems the avg I've seen now is around 6'6  And 215lbs.   So, that is good size. Long arms and can jump with passing and drive ability.  Great pick up!  Was so glad we got this kid.  Now if we can just get Chaney  as the crown piece.  Ya know, it's hard to imagine how good this class might have been had traiter money bags not cheated his way over to Piss st.   Which, same thing last year, had doo doo brown not went to UK and fit in with last year's class, the Hogs probably easy make final 4.  And same with this 18class.  Now, we have nicely filled in replacement pieces for traiter money bags, and we will take another step towards the promised land this season.  I really believe that by the time gets to post season that no one will want to play us!  I think we'll lose some close games early but really come in around January and go on a long win streak that will take us to a sweet 16 trip.  I figure we'll probably barely miss making it to the final four.  Then when this 18 class hits, we'll be a final four team!  It's happening guys!  Mark it down!  The consecutive years going deep in the tourney will make this new generation look at Arkansas as a destination school once again!  And it just so happens that we have a plethora of in state talent coming up to help Arkansas truly make winning habitual!  :)   I am so happy for Mike and the staff and the Hog fans!   I just truly wish the state produced enough talent in football to be able to help Bielema as much!  Oh well, basketball is headed towards a title, baseball is headed towards a title, at least 2 out 3 ain't bad.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

The_Iceman

What this 2018 class does for us is secure that we won't take a big dip down out of postseason play. We may fall to the NIT for a year while these kids adjust, but we are going to be competitive and right there in the hunt for the next 5 years.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 08, 2017, 08:39:51 pm
He had a pretty impressive offer list.  Another crux in the argument that CMA can't get out of state players.

Huh?? I would not call Fresno State, Tulsa, and SMU that impressive...

Not bashing the kid, FYI, just responding to the post.

hogwood

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 09, 2017, 09:21:48 am

You conveniently forgot Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Arizona St., TCU... Not powerhouses but all teams looking for players to compete in P5 level basketball and they deemed JP as worthy.

The_Iceman

One thing that frustrates me about basketball recruiting is the fudging of heights. One site lists him at 6'5", another 6'6", then RD calls him 6'7", and then Nick Mason this morning calls him a "6'7 to 6'8 wing".

It gets a little ridiculous at times.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hogwood on October 09, 2017, 09:26:04 am
You conveniently forgot Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Arizona St., TCU... Not powerhouses but all teams looking for players to compete in P5 level basketball and they deemed JP as worthy.

Sorry, I was looking at 247, who is usually more accurate than Rivals. Rivals doesn't even have his correct High School listed, so I'm not sure if I would trust them.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jordan-Phillips-88191/RecruitInterests

hogwood

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 09, 2017, 09:35:04 am
Sorry, I was looking at 247, who is usually more accurate than Rivals. Rivals doesn't even have his correct High School listed, so I'm not sure if I would trust them.

I'm just going off of what was in the article that Kevin wrote and posted in the OP of this thread, which I thought you were responding to.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 09, 2017, 09:35:04 am

No need to try to discredit the kids abilities with your "sources". The coaches are pretty good evaluators of talent and he passes the eye test on film. Plus, he has great measureables along with impressive strength and athletic ability.

Give him at least 24 hours grace period. You have the rest of his career to tear him down. Today however, Hog fans want to praise him.

Edit:   I may have misread your intent and if so, forgive me but I am leaving this up as a warning shot to any of the MMQB suicide squad who wander in here.

Please hold off the premature evaluations. Just a little romance first please.
Hogs up! Covid down!

daprospecta

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 09, 2017, 09:32:11 am
One thing that frustrates me about basketball recruiting is the fudging of heights. One site lists him at 6'5", another 6'6", then RD calls him 6'7", and then Nick Mason this morning calls him a "6'7 to 6'8 wing".

It can be like that because some take measurements without shoes, others don't. I'm 6'4 without shoes but will boots or some basketball shoes, I look like a legit 6'6. 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 09, 2017, 09:56:40 am
No need to try to discredit the kids abilities with your "sources". The coaches are pretty good evaluators of talent and he passes the eye test on film. Plus, he has great measureables along with impressive strength and athletic ability.

Give him at least 24 hours grace period. You have the rest of his career to tear him down. Today however, Hog fans want to praise him.

Edit:   I may have misread your intent and if so, forgive me but I am leaving this up as a warning shot to any of the MMQB suicide squad who wander in here.

Please hold off the premature evaluations. Just a little romance first please.

Ha you're forgiven. My comment had no intent in disrespecting the kid. I just remembered looking at 247, a trusted website, and seeing 4 offers. My reply was more in response to the poster.

Phillips seems to be a real diamond in the rough. We need as many 6-5 plus playmakers as we can get.

onebadrubi

Nick mason is the biggest agenda/bias person out there.  If he loves the kid he will embelish him, if it were not a great pull for the hogs he would be listing him at 6'4".  I would take anything Mason says with minimal accuracy.

The_Iceman

Btw, I think the kid is a small forward for us regardless of his height. I've seen his video and he isn't quite a 1, we will have plenty of options at the 2, so he really will be a wing player. Now, if he is close to 6'7", he can be like Hall and play the 4 in a small ball set.

MakingPlays

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 09, 2017, 09:21:48 am

He visited Georgetown and had an offer there, and he was scheduled to visit Virginia Tech with a scholarship there, but he cancelled once he knew he wanted to be a Hog.  He's a top 150 guy, a few spots away from being a 4-star on Rivals.  He's a very good pick-up, and a guy that if he would have waited until the Spring would have had a ton of high major offers.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 09, 2017, 11:14:22 am
Btw, I think the kid is a small forward for us regardless of his height. I've seen him game and he isn't quite a 1, we will have plenty of options at the 2, so he really will be a wing player. Now, if he is close to 6'7", he can be like Hall and play the 4 in a small ball set.

If that is the case, and In my mind, that is exactly what we need.  An athletic wing guy, can post up a little, and have handles.  These are the types that put Mike's system over the top and competitive with top talent. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 09, 2017, 11:23:27 am
If that is the case, and In my mind, that is exactly what we need.  An athletic wing guy, can post up a little, and have handles.  These are the types that put Mike's system over the top and competitive with top talent.

I have no problem with Phillips, let me be clear. I love the signing. We need long wings. It's just the height inflation has annoyed me for some time in basketball.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 08, 2017, 08:31:05 pm
Another great get and system fit. Great length and versatility.

I agree and am very glad Jordan picked the Hogs! CMA and staff getting it done!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

The_Iceman

Quote from: Little Lady Back on October 09, 2017, 11:37:34 am
I agree and am very glad Jordan picked the Hogs! CMA and staff getting it done!!

He reminds me of Garland the way he plays. Let's hope and pray that he isn't his replacement. Would hate to see Garland have to give up basketball.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 09, 2017, 11:07:31 am
Nick mason is the biggest agenda/bias person out there.  If he loves the kid he will embelish him, if it were not a great pull for the hogs he would be listing him at 6'4".  I would take anything Mason says with minimal accuracy.

You are right about Mason. I still find it hard to believe that he is on an Arkansas sports talk show. What a joke!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Little Lady Back

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 09, 2017, 11:54:03 am
He reminds me of Garland the way he plays. Let's hope and pray that he isn't his replacement. Would hate to see Garland have to give up basketball.

Me too, Ice.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 09, 2017, 11:27:26 am
I have no problem with Phillips, let me be clear. I love the signing. We need long wings. It's just the height inflation has annoyed me for some time in basketball.

I agree completely. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Little Lady Back on October 09, 2017, 11:57:51 am
You are right about Mason. I still find it hard to believe that he is on an Arkansas sports talk show. What a joke!

We have some real idiots on the radio waves throughout Arkansas.  Nick Mason is just another, just look what he writes.  he is a c h i t stirrer and sparks up the clicks, calls, etc to make people think he followed.

MakingPlays

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 09, 2017, 11:07:31 am

In fairness, He is probably closer to the 6'7-6'8 range, than he is the 6'4'6-5 range.  You have to remember most of those recruiting services don't really go out of there way to keep the weight/heights updated.  For example a lot of recruiting sites had Dan Gafford as 6'9, he's now 6'11 when he got on campus and measured by our staff. 

Here's a good picture to give an indication of how tall he is.  Scotty Thurman is 6'6, at least that's what he was listed as his entire college/professional career.  Both Chaney and Phillips are clearly taller than him by at least a couple of inches.  Chaney isn't standing straight up, so he's probably an inch taller than what he looks on the picture.  So, just going off of that you could probably say Chaney is around 6'8-6'9 which depending on which site your looking at that's correct.  And Phillips looks like he might be an inch shorter than Chaney, so that 6'7-6'8 prediction is probably accurate.

https://twitter.com/ReginaldLee_OK/status/909736971941044224

onebadrubi

Quote from: MakingPlays on October 09, 2017, 12:27:54 pm
In fairness, He is probably closer to the 6'7-6'8 range, than he is the 6'4'6-5 range.  You have to remember most of those recruiting services don't really go out of there way to keep the weight/heights updated.  For example a lot of recruiting sites had Dan Gafford as 6'9, he's now 6'11 when he got on campus and measured by our staff. 

Here's a good picture to give an indication of how tall he is.  Scotty Thurman is 6'6.  Both Chaney and Phillips are clearly taller than him by at least a couple of inches.  Chaney isn't standing straight up, so he's probably an inch taller than what he looks on the picture.  So, just going off of that you could probably say Chaney is around 6'8-6'9 which depending on which site your looking at that's correct.  And Phillips looks like he might be an inch shorter than Chaney, so that 6'7-6'8 prediction is probably accurate.

I'm more just saying, don't take what Nick says to the bank.  He is very agenda driven and always pushing HIS narrative. 

MakingPlays

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 09, 2017, 12:29:07 pm
I'm more just saying, don't take what Nick says to the bank.  He is very agenda driven and always pushing HIS narrative.

I gotcha, but in this case he's not off or giving the kid anything because he likes him.  That's just what height he's heard he was at.  And looking at the picture I linked it looks like he's at least a legit 6'7.

Kevin McPherson

Hogs49ers

Here's a good picture to give an indication of how tall he is.  Scotty Thurman is 6'6, at least that's what he was listed as his entire college/professional career.  Both Chaney and Phillips are clearly taller than him by at least a couple of inches.  Chaney isn't standing straight up, so he's probably an inch taller than what he looks on the picture.  So, just going off of that you could probably say Chaney is around 6'8-6'9 which depending on which site your looking at that's correct.  And Phillips looks like he might be an inch shorter than Chaney, so that 6'7-6'8 prediction is probably accurate.

I absolutely LOVE Drew Morgan!  I clicked on your tweet link of the pictures he took with our staff and then scrolled down to the comments and noticed Drew Morgan said "The best setup for success. UofA  #realtalk".  Love that he is basically still recruiting for us and in a sport that he did not even play!
SCREW Vandy!

311Hog

Quote from: Hogs49ers on October 10, 2017, 02:10:51 am
I absolutely LOVE Drew Morgan!  I clicked on your tweet link of the pictures he took with our staff and then scrolled down to the comments and noticed Drew Morgan said "The best setup for success. UofA  #realtalk".  Love that he is basically still recruiting for us and in a sport that he did not even play!

I noticed this as well.  Something else i noticed that i am surprised i didn't know before or if we did not do it before i am glad we are now. Nolan recruiting for/with Mike.  I am positive meeting and talking with Nolan would catch any kids ear.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on October 08, 2017, 11:06:07 pm

In fairness, He is probably closer to the 6'7-6'8 range, than he is the 6'4'6-5 range. 

I split the difference, going with 6-6 until I see him in person. He's not as tall as Chaney, who some list at 6-7 and others at 6-8.