Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cream rises to the Top Penn State vs Arkansas

Started by DeltaBoy, October 08, 2017, 07:35:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

October 08, 2017, 07:35:14 am Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:48:13 pm by DeltaBoy
In the past 10 years both programs had embarrassing  issues rock their programs. Penn State was way worse yet they have bounced back while we wallow in the mud shamed and embarrassed.  This proves 2 things Jeff Long  is a John White Clone that wants us to be Rice or Vandy.  And a True Blue Blood Program can come back from anything.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Danimal

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 08, 2017, 08:41:47 am
Penn State is undefeated.
Penn State hired the right coach -- the one we probably should have hired.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

ChicoHog

Franklin has done a great job there but they are also a strong tradition program.  And Franklin is like Swinney in that he is a fantastic recruiter. 

IMABIELEMA

Penn State is also more of a national brand when it comes to recruiting.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Danimal on October 08, 2017, 09:36:18 am

We could've hired him but we would always be second fiddle if penn state came calling.

DeltaBoy

Another Dang thing Jeff Long did wrong! Penn State AD is so much better!

ChicoHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 08, 2017, 01:33:07 pm
Another Dang thing Jeff Long did wrong! Penn State AD is so much better!
I bet you don't know who the Penn st AD is. 

Etowah

Penn State is a blue blood of college football.

Tough comparison.

Compare us to Texas Tech...who also hired a coach when we did.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 08, 2017, 07:35:14 am
In the past 10 years both programs had embarrassing  issues rock their programs. Penn State was way worse yet they have bounced back while we wallow in the mud shamed and embarrassed.  This proves 2 things Jeff Long  is a John White Clone that wants us to be Rice or Vandy.  And a True Blue Blood Program can come back from anything.

One of your best posts. Good job.

RME

longpig

I'd rather be Arkansas State than Penn State.  That football program has a stink on it that can't be removed.  ever.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hoggie17

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 08, 2017, 09:44:11 am
Franklin has done a great job there but they are also a strong tradition program.  And Franklin is like Swinney in that he is a fantastic recruiter.
Franklin was one of three coached I wanted. He won at Vandy if you can win there you can win anywhere! I now want Jeff Broham, if you can win at Purdue you can win anywhere!

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 08, 2017, 09:43:37 pm
Franklin was one of three coached I wanted. He won at Vandy if you can win there you can win anywhere! I now want Jeff Broham, if you can win at Purdue you can win anywhere!

You may be right.  Hank Stram won at Purdue and won a Super Bowl with Kansas City!

je100

The state of Pennsylvania has 66 players playing in the NFL.  Arkansas has 12.

hogsanity

Quote from: je100 on October 08, 2017, 10:47:44 pm

Now don't go pointing out things like that, it gets in the way of a good rant about how Penn St KNEW Franklin was the right guy for the job. They were rolling the dice just like everyone else when they hire a new coach. I remember the posters saying Texas was going to be back when they hired Charlie Strong, and that turned out to be a disaster.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on October 08, 2017, 09:45:51 am

Shhh... Don't confuse him..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DeltaBoy

All True but their scandal  should have crippled them much like the Death Penalty did SMU!

Razorfox

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 10, 2017, 09:16:49 am
All True but their scandal  should have crippled them much like the Death Penalty did SMU!

Why?  Anyone involved (directly or indirectly) is long gone.  The things that remain yet are the tradition, stadium, fans, new coaches, etc. 

Atlhogfan1

The NCAA did little to them and they've recruited near the top of the B1G.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

oldman1015

Pretty sure the Penn State A.D. is a Yankee carpetbagger. There is no comparing the 2 programs.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Redhogs

And it did, nobody in the country wanted the job, they were nationally mocked and said the whole thing added up to a death penalty...once again the usual suspect posters on this thread making excuses as to why AR. football can never succeed at a high level...makes me sick. This mentality has infected the whole program top to bottom...we are doomed. That alone will keep a real winner from taking this job.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

jgphillips3

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 08, 2017, 09:43:37 pm

I'm pretty much with you here.

Grizzlyfan

The only thing the Arkansas & Penn State programs have in common is that they had embarrassing things happen over the last past 10 years.  That's it.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Danimal on October 08, 2017, 09:36:18 am
I wanted him too, but it was obvious he wanted a bigger school than Arkansas. Didn't long inquire and Franklin pretty much say not interested? That's what I heard
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TNhawgfan on October 10, 2017, 09:48:22 am
I wanted him too, but it was obvious he wanted a bigger school than Arkansas. Didn't long inquire and Franklin pretty much say not interested? That's what I heard

He is from PA.  Went to college in PA.  Always wanted the Penn St job. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DeltaBoy

Still this staff has failed on recruiting.

Razorbackers

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 10, 2017, 11:30:29 am
Has it really?  Think about it. Our recruiting is pretty much the same if not a little better than what it has been since joining the SEC.  recruiting hasn't been the problem. The coaching has been terrible a revolving door of assistants and still looking bad. Meaning the head coach is the biggest problem.  I can see someone coming in next year and winning 8 games next year with the players we have. IF they are a good coach. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Redhogs

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 10, 2017, 11:30:29 am
More in developing, and game planning, and game management, and halftime adjustments, and mental toughness, and evaluations, and motivating...and...and...and...

Redhogs

Quote from: Redhogs on October 10, 2017, 11:37:33 am
More in developing, and game planning, and game management, and halftime adjustments, and mental toughness, and evaluations, and motivating...and...and...and...IT'S COACHING!!!

DeltaBoy

As Long as Jeff Long is still AD we will not improve in Football.

Sed76

It wouldn't surprise me if Ole Miss doesn't recover from their NCAA violations faster than we do from the Bielema era.

phadedhawg

i do agree that Penn State has more advantages that we do and probably always will.  Still, we aren't improving our situation right now.  Just in a holding pattern waiting for something to change.

Redhogs

Quote from: Sed76 on October 10, 2017, 12:06:05 pm
It wouldn't surprise me if Ole Miss doesn't recover from their NCAA violations faster than we do from the Bielema era.
The writing is on the wall for that to be true..... :'( :'(

Inhogswetrust

Right coach at the right place at the right time for them. IF you can put up with long cold winters it's a great place.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

code red

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on October 08, 2017, 09:45:51 am
Sick of this.  No more excuses with talent.  Bottom line.  Brett doesn't recruit.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogsanity

Just look at USC and Penn St, both faced harsh penalties, and both had their own unique scandals. Even in the midst of the storm they still had kids wanting to go play there, good players, talented players. So it is no surprise both recovered quickly. Heck, I am not sure there classes were not still ranked above the Hogs even at the height of the scandals. Have not looked so I could be wrong on that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2017, 12:20:50 pm
Just look at USC and Penn St, both faced harsh penalties, and both had their own unique scandals. Even in the midst of the storm they still had kids wanting to go play there, good players, talented players. So it is no surprise both recovered quickly. Heck, I am not sure there classes were not still ranked above the Hogs even at the height of the scandals. Have not looked so I could be wrong on that.

You might be right! Our situation under Long is untolerable.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: code red on October 10, 2017, 12:18:08 pm
Sick of this.  No more excuses with talent.  Bottom line.  Brett doesn't recruit.

Ok but that is false.  You can be "sick of it" all you want.  Reality is that recruiting at Arkansas is far different and harder than at Penn State. Penn State is in the top half of their conference.  Arkansas is in the bottom half of its own division and anywhere from 9th to 12th in the over all conference. This will not change probably ever.  Recruiting hasn't been the problem. Coaching has been 100% the reason of why we can't come out at halftime and play. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 08, 2017, 09:44:11 am
In the beginning, we were under the impression that bielema was a great recruiter. He did great in the beginning (or maybe his staff did) but we now see that snake oil only goes so far
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 10, 2017, 01:04:54 pm
Ok but that is false.  You can be "sick of it" all you want.  Reality is that recruiting at Arkansas is far different and harder than at Penn State. Penn State is in the top half of their conference.  Arkansas is in the bottom half of its own division and anywhere from 9th to 12th in the over all conference. This will not change probably ever.  Recruiting hasn't been the problem. Coaching has been 100% the reason of why we can't come out at halftime and play. 

SO your one of those we are just Poor Little Old Arkie and should not want nor strive for better.
Go away!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 10, 2017, 01:58:21 pm
SO your one of those we are just Poor Little Old Arkie and should not want nor strive for better.
Go away!

Never have been, go look at my posts.  I do not believe in fairy tales though.  Yes Arkansas can win, but it must be a great coach. Obviously we see what happens when we don't have one.  Also look at our history in the sec.  we have about a 6 win average. A coach is going to have to come in here and realize that they will not have the most talent in majority of SEC games.  They will need to be able out scheme other teams. Can not play the smash mouth type of football and think we are going to be able to beat the big boys.  Have to have some great offensive minded coach or a really great defensive coach.  We have neither of that right now.

Don't ever think I am a poor Arkansas crap.  That is for people that want to pretend that we have never been successful. Also please stop living in a fairytale land and realize what our program has been in the SEC. 

HoggyCat

I said in 2012 that Ped St would recover a lot quickly than we would.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

Quote from: je100 on October 08, 2017, 10:47:44 pm

Did all 66 attend PSU?

We know the answer to the Arkansas equivalent of this question.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HiggiePiggy

DoctorSusscrofa

The coach we should hire may not want to coach here.  We can't kidnap a great coach. He has to want the job. No great coach automatically wants the Arkansas job. Mainly because of recruiting.  Even a great coach isn't guaranteed good recruiting in Arkansas. He might luck out and get a Shawn Andrews, Steve Atwater, Dan Hampton, DMac, or Ryan Mallett, but he may not.
There are a few good to great coaches that might consider Arkansas, but most are going to say no thanks and wait for Penn State, Oklahoma, Clemson, Auburn, Tennessee, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Nebraska, Georgia, FSU, Florida, Miami, TAMU, Notre Dame, LSU, or Wisconsin.
All of them have at least some advantages over Arkansas. We don't get great coaches here if one of these schools wants the same guy just as bad.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

hogsanity

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 10, 2017, 04:49:08 pm
Did all 66 attend PSU?

We know the answer to the Arkansas equivalent of this question.

are you saying all 12 from Ar in the NFl played for the Hogs? Cause that is not true.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 08, 2017, 11:01:45 pm
Now don't go pointing out things like that, it gets in the way of a good rant about how Penn St KNEW Franklin was the right guy for the job. They were rolling the dice just like everyone else when they hire a new coach. I remember the posters saying Texas was going to be back when they hired Charlie Strong, and that turned out to be a disaster.

So, now they've bought another high price thoroughbred, it will be interesting how his 3 year stint goes.. I think he inherited more than Charlie, especially  on defense..