Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FINAL from Auburn: Auburn 44 Ole Miss 23

Started by jbcarol, October 07, 2017, 07:15:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

October 07, 2017, 07:15:27 am Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:49:08 pm by jbcarol
Antonio Morales‏Verified account @AntonioCMorales

"I think we've been a little simple, I do," Phil Longo said. "Until we execute fundamentally, it's not going to matter what we run." Also, @colecubelic weighs in on Ole Miss' offense

QuoteOXFORD — This wasn't how it was supposed to go.

Unlike its defense, Ole Miss' offense had enough talent at certain spots to put some points on the scoreboard and collect some yards through the air. But that hasn't been the case of late.

Instead, the Rebels have scored three points in the past six quarters and haven't scored a touchdown in 103 minutes — and have even given up two touchdowns to Cal and Alabama's defenses.

So what has gone wrong with Ole Miss' offense and can it get any better in time for its road date with No. 13 Auburn Saturday (11 a.m., SEC Network)?

"It comes down to execution. I'm not happy with our last six quarters of play but this is a process. I've been through this before," offensive coordinator Phil Longo told The Clarion-Ledger this week. "It's just a process. We've got to take the offense and the players and we've got to close the window and get them to the same place. I think when that happens people will realize what these guys will be capable of in this system."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

If I had a dime for every loss suffered by Auburn in its 17 previous games against Ole Miss in which the Tigers played as a team ranked in the AP poll, you know what I would have?

0 dimes

QuoteAuburn's unbeaten streak started on Jan. 1, 1971, when the No. 10 Tigers beat Ole Miss 35-28 in the Gator Bowl. Since then, ranked Auburn teams have beaten Ole Miss in 1972, 1984, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2014 and 2016. The No. 12 Tigers host Ole Miss on Saturday.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

David†

grayhawg

Looks like a long day for the land sharks.

cypress rock

David†

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Antonio Morales‏Verified account @AntonioCMorales 49s49 seconds ago

A.J. Moore was just called for targeting. Took the officials about 10 seconds to review. He's gone.

jbcarol

Ben Garrett‏ @SpiritBen 2m2 minutes ago

Another simplify Monday coming

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Casagrande‏Verified account @ByCasagrande

Ole Miss is trailing the state of Alabama 94-6 the last two weeks.

jbcarol

Kerryon my wayward son to his third TD run in the first 24 minutes.

jbcarol

Hog N Bama

jbcarol

jbcarol

Antonio Morales‏Verified account @AntonioCMorales

Another trip to Alabama ended with another non-competitive game against one of the SEC's best for Ole Miss

QuoteAUBURN, Alabama — OK, so it wasn't 63 points this week.

But Ole Miss was essentially hopeless.

After a humiliating loss to Alabama, the Rebels fell behind by 32 points at halftime against No. 13 Auburn and lost, 44-23, in front of 86,700 fans at Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday afternoon.

It was yet another display of how far Ole Miss (2-3, 0-2 SEC) has fallen in recent years, and how much it has to go before it's competitive against the SEC's best.

It was the Rebels' third consecutive loss, all by 11 points or more. So in Matt Luke's mind, what has to change?

"We have to not give up explosive plays, we can't miss tackles," Luke said. "When we get in the red zone, we've got to find a way to score touchdowns and not settle for field goals. That's where we're at right now. That's what we've got to do.

"Just gaining confidence, playing with an edge, not out there playing tentative, hoping you're doing the right thing. But playing knowing you're doing the right thing and being aggressive. That's what we need to improve on."

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 1h1 hour ago

Here's a speedy recap of what Gus Malzahn said after Auburn crushed Ole Miss, 44-23: https://trib.al/tkEP5XA

QuoteAuburn crushed Ole Miss, 44-23, at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday.

The Tigers (5-1, 3-0 SEC) were led by three rushing touchdowns by Kerryon Johnson, who had a career-high 204 rushing yards and two receptions for 23 yards, and Jarrett Stidham (14 of 21 for 235 yards and two scores).

Ole Miss (2-3, 0-2 SEC) became the first team to score more than 14 points against the Tigers this season as Shea Patterson became the first QB to throw for over 300 yards against Auburn since Chad Kelly did it for Ole Miss last season.

GUS MALZAHN

-- "This was a game that a lot of teams could've flopped around in the first half" after what happened last week for both teams. "Second half, was just putting the game away."

-- "What stood out to me was no turnovers was big."

jbcarol