Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UNC COI results and punishment.

Started by rhog1, October 05, 2017, 10:11:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

https://twitter.com/_andrewcarter/status/915928036775735298

Final Report from the COI including penalties coming tomorrow at noon teleconference at 1 est time.

Time for the NCAA to either roll over or show it has the guts to punish one of its powerhouses.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Kevin on October 05, 2017, 11:03:05 am
I see light penalties for unc

If so, I would like to see the FBI literally police college sports full time for five or ten years. No need for taxpayer money, just take a percentage of TV revenues.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Ironhawg

I'd be shocked if they get anything more than a sternly worded warning.

rhog1

Quote from: Kevin on October 05, 2017, 11:03:05 am
I see light penalties for unc

Truthfully I do too. It is suspicious that they are announcing on a Friday before a football weekend so the news will get buried quickly.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 05, 2017, 11:08:35 am
I'd be shocked if they get anything more than a sternly worded warning.

The warning will be ghost written by Roy Williams under a pseudonym.
Hogs up! Covid down!

MB Hog

I see UNC just got a 5-star commitment today.  6-6 small forward, Nasir Little.  ESPN has him ranked #14 in the class.  Could be a sign that a hand slap is expected.

Ironhawg

Honestly if UNC gets away with a hand slap I think the time has come to do away with the NCAA and form another organization that actually works for all members.

King Kong

NCAA was very harsh in their response to UNC's position.

Let's see if they follow through. I have my doubts after I thought Louisville got off pretty unscathed for their hooker scandal

rhog1

Due to scheduling circumstances, there will be no release tomorrow regarding the NCAA Committee on Infractions decision. We have not yet received the Committee's public infractions report. We anticipate we will be informed 24 hours prior to the actual release at a later date."
– Vice Chancellor of University Communications Joel Curran, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Looks like tomorrow release is off now.

HoopS

The NCAA is so mad they may place UNC Greensboro under probation.

Hogimus Prime

I'd love to see a school like UNC get the death penalty.

hogwood

Quote from: MB Hog on October 05, 2017, 11:20:54 am
I see UNC just got a 5-star commitment today.  6-6 small forward, Nasir Little.  ESPN has him ranked #14 in the class.  Could be a sign that a hand slap is expected.

I am surprised at that. I thought Nassir was perhaps a player mixed up in the FBI probe in connection to the recruiter at Arizona. He was also on that shady trip to Aruba with Reggie Perry, EJ Montgomery, and many others that was "sponsored" by Adidas.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 05, 2017, 11:25:02 am
Honestly if UNC gets away with a hand slap I think the time has come to do away with the NCAA and form another organization that actually works for all members.
This
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

HogFoo

I really dislike these turds.  Especially after the way we were screwed in March madness to them!  I thought they were quite arrogant in their arguments to the NCaa about their cheating.  As far back as this case went 18yrs supposedly!  And as much money that was spent on this case , if the Ncaaonly gives UNC a slap, then it should just quit doing anything because it is a complete joke!  They deserve no post season, NC trophy erased,  a lot of schollies cut, leave them with about 5 and the rest walkons, that'll send a message to basketball.  No TV would be great as well. What would hurt them most is to hurt their basketball team, cuz they have nothing else other than field hockey.  Seems like they had a good baseball team that got ousted. But other than that, nothing. Again , they deserve to have all this happen to them, let us hope that they get it!  Because if they dont, it'll just prove that you can get away with a lot.  I could see how with what happened with the FBI, that in light of that, that perhaps the NCAA will bring the hammer!  But, we'll just have to wait and see.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HognitiveDissonance

I expect UNC to get hit fairly hard.
I share the same skepticism since this is a true blue-blood program, but I do think they will get hit with fairly significant penalties.
The kicker will be if they have to miss the NCAA for one or more years. For an elite program, that is a real punishment, since they're in it every year.

Hoggish1

rhog1

They really deserve the death penalty. This is the largest academic cheating scandal of all time, and it was for multiple sports.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhog1 on October 05, 2017, 11:08:51 am
Truthfully I do too. It is suspicious that they are announcing on a Friday before a football weekend so the news will get buried quickly.

There are 364 other days in the year and someone would find it suspicious if they announced it on any of those................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HoopS on October 05, 2017, 12:33:59 pm
The NCAA is so mad they may place UNC Greensboro under probation.

How original.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

HoopS

rhog1

https://twitter.com/jgravleyWRAL/status/918491997027135488
Multiple sources tell me the COI will release their findings on @UNC NCAA investigation tomorrow. Friday the 13th. #wral.

From a North Carolina sportscaster seems like tomorrow is finally the day.

rhog1

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

PonderinHog

rhog1

Reading through it Nothing but a show cause for one staffer no penalties for UNC.  NCAA is dropping the case. Color me shocked. :puke:

So technically, they are announcing no punishment for UNC.

The schools don't even have to pretend to educate athletes anymore.

rhog1

Quote from: Karma on October 13, 2017, 09:10:56 am
So technically, they are announcing no punishment for UNC.

The schools don't even have to pretend to educate athletes anymore.
Yeah. Lets all set up fake classes. Apparently the NCAA has no problems with it as long as you allow non athletes to take them too. 

azhog10

And they wonder why the FBI didn't let them know about their investigation. NCAA is just as crooked as the shoe companies bribing the athletes.

mhuff

Quote from: azhog10 on October 13, 2017, 09:28:54 am
And they wonder why the FBI didn't let them know about their investigation. NCAA is just as crooked as the shoe companies bribing the athletes.
Row inthe rating services
That's my take. School Presidents need to ban together and form another organization. Something is rotten in Denmark, and it all has to do with money. Throw in the rating services as well.

311Hog

who didn't see this coming? i sure did they used Kentucky's loop hole.

Because "other non athlete students benefited" it is not an infraction.  This is just like Kentucky letting student managers for the bball team live in the Basketball player "Lodge".

the NCAA only cares about specific benefits exclusively for the athlete.  If the school spreads the wealth to even 1 non athlete student then they pass the buck to the "academic" side to punish or not to punish for "academic fraud" and well that will be a long wait for a boat that won't come they are not going to punish each other for something like "providing easy courses so people stay enrolled".

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: mhuff on October 13, 2017, 09:46:49 am
Row inthe rating services
That's my take. School Presidents need to ban together and form another organization. Something is rotten in Denmark, and it all has to do with money. Throw in the rating services as well.

Schools are complicit. UNC wouldn't cooperate because they didn't have to since the NCAA has no subpoena power.  The NCAA only has the power its members give it.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

NCAA rulings that make you scratch your head:
- Suspended DeVier Posey for 5 games over $3.07
- Suspended USF kicker for making money off of his own youtube channel that was established before he went to college
- Wont penalize UNC for putting athletes in classes that never met (didn't exist)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

This whole case shows that a scholarship doesn't always equal an education. That means the NCAA's entire "student athlete" system is based on a lie

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 13, 2017, 10:14:39 am
- Suspended USF kicker for making money off of his own youtube channel that was established before he went to college
- Wont penalize UNC for putting athletes in classes that never met (didn't exist)

Barely punished Penn St for covering up child rape including the head coach. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

311Hog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 13, 2017, 10:14:39 am

you can see it in your examples.  NCAA basically said if you do not restrict the privilege or benefit to athletes then there is nothing to see here.

This is of course the benefit provided by the school. 

So build all the fancy dorms you want as long as at least one token non athlete lives there it is no problem.  Become the Graduate school destination for people who want to major in underwater basketweaving as long as the courses are not restricted to athletes only.

It is sad, it is basically more of the "online/sham" universities turning something that once meant something into nothing.

King Kong

October 13, 2017, 10:30:15 am #39 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:32:36 pm by King Kong
Meh, it was a really hard leg to stand on for NCAA. Not all higher education's are an even playing ground as is. Really it's up to the school to decide their standard of education. It's a shame UNC has decided to lower theirs.

NCAA had a strong response letter back to UNC. Because of that I thought they may make a statement...... and they did. They are powerless

N HOG

Nothing very complicated about this.

Money talks -- and really strongly with the pathetic NCAA.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: 311Hog on October 13, 2017, 10:27:59 am
you can see it in your examples.  NCAA basically said if you do not restrict the privilege or benefit to athletes then there is nothing to see here.

This is of course the benefit provided by the school. 

So build all the fancy dorms you want as long as at least one token non athlete lives there it is no problem.  Become the Graduate school destination for people who want to major in underwater basketweaving as long as the courses are not restricted to athletes only.

It is sad, it is basically more of the "online/sham" universities turning something that once meant something into nothing.
Are you saying my degree from DeVry was a waste of time?!  :)

Kevin

not surprised. they were not going to take down another acc/icon school. ncaa is a sham. every president & athletic director should be pissed at this ruling.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

HamIAm

N HOG

Based on their ruling, could a school give every basketball signee $100k as long as they also give the same amount to the water boy?

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

cram224

UNC spent $18M to defend their case. Money talks.

10thPlanet

Kevin

Kevin

funny that the sec commissioner was the head of the committee. guess he was afraid of repercussions from the acc.