Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quirky SEC coaches

Started by The OTR, October 09, 2017, 12:16:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The OTR

Where does CBB rank in terms of overall quirkiness among current and former SEC coaches?  You have Jim Mcelwain posing on a shark, Les Miles, Easy Ed and his mouth full of marbles at LSU, Sumlin, Gus (he might need to go to a full hat rather than a visor after watching his press conference Saturday), Saban, Les Miles (he's worthy of two mentions), Houston Nutt, JL Smith, Holtz, the old ball coach, Urban, etc. 

CBB seems as quirky as any of them with some of the things he's said and done over the years. 

Not sure quirky is necessarily bad.  Also seems like we've had more than our share of quirky coaches.  Maybe there's some I'm not thinking of. 

moses_007

Lou Holtz was our quirkiest coach ever, but he knew how to win games.

longpig

JL shoud narrow his search to candidates with a forehead tattoo. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 09, 2017, 12:16:12 pm
Where does CBB rank in terms of overall quirkiness among current and former SEC coaches?  You have Jim Mcelwain posing on a shark, Les Miles, Easy Ed and his mouth full of marbles at LSU, Sumlin, Gus (he might need to go to a full hat rather than a visor after watching his press conference Saturday), Saban, Les Miles (he's worthy of two mentions), Houston Nutt, JL Smith, Holtz, the old ball coach, Urban, etc. 

CBB seems as quirky as any of them with some of the things he's said and done over the years. 

Not sure quirky is necessarily bad.  Also seems like we've had more than our share of quirky coaches.  Maybe there's some I'm not thinking of.
Hey Pillowhead....still awaiting your comments/insight into the marvelous prediction you made concerning the fact that the Hogs would beat UCSe due to our playing in the rain and later in the day. Nice....took your advice....went the other way and made a ton of money. Please let me know what you think about the hammer game.

247Hog

OMG for the 100th time, this wasn't him. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/9/15602946/jim-mcelwain-shark-humping-picture-denial

Stop posting stupid stuff just for attention.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 247Hog on October 09, 2017, 12:50:53 pm
OMG for the 100th time, this wasn't him. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/9/15602946/jim-mcelwain-shark-humping-picture-denial

Haven't you learned YET?! Pillowhead can't help himself. Very much like expecting a dog to keep from licking himself.

Redhogs

What the hell does quirky have to do with anything??  This guy is just plain inept, in every phase of his job...except coach speak and excuse making, he's league leading in those categories.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

The OTR

Quote from: 247Hog on October 09, 2017, 12:50:53 pm

The more he denies it the more I believe it was him.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 09, 2017, 02:17:52 pm
Still waiting to get your laser-focused prediction on this Saturday's Tide game. I certainly want to get my bet in well before Vegas takes it off line.

The OTR

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 09, 2017, 04:45:26 pm
Still waiting to get your laser-focused prediction on this Saturday's Tide game. I certainly want to get my bet in well before Vegas takes it off line.

I am tracking the weather. I will post my weather thread Wednesday at the soonest, Thursday at the latest. Give you plenty of time to bet.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 09, 2017, 04:57:38 pm
I am tracking the weather. I will post my weather thread Wednesday at the soonest, Thursday at the latest. Give you plenty of time to bet.
Problem is, as stated in my previous post, well before then the game will have been pulled from all betting sites. After all, to make it a legitimate bet SOMEONE has to be willing to take the Hogs and the 150 points.

The OTR

Quote from: Redhogs on October 09, 2017, 01:10:19 pm
What the hell does quirky have to do with anything??  This guy is just plain inept, in every phase of his job...except coach speak and excuse making, he's league leading in those categories.

You are one huffy guy. 

Anybody quirkier than a guy who takes off his clothes and poses for pictures on a shark is pretty quirky.  The lobsters, the jelly sandwiches, talking out of one side of his mouth during halftime interviews, wearing windbreakers and sweatshirts when it's hot and humid, buying cowboy boots in Chicago when you live in Arkansas, the flip flops.  He makes Les Miles look like a US senator.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 09, 2017, 04:57:38 pm

Good to hear. The weekly Pillowhead Jackson weather thread will be a welcomed sight this week.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 09, 2017, 07:25:31 pm
Good to hear. The weekly Pillowhead Jackson weather thread will be a welcomed sight this week.

Didn't OTR do that in the past?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Ward on October 09, 2017, 07:32:32 pm
IMO this thread is a complete and utter failure

Your point is?

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on October 09, 2017, 07:30:25 pm
Didn't OTR do that in the past?

Before being enshrined on the Hogville Mt Rushmore with Rev Jerry Falwell, Harry Rex Vonner, Ponderin and others, OTR was known for many insightful threads. The OTR historians and their records will need to be reviewed to see if he ever touched on the weather.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

thebignasty

It's my personal opinion that OTR couldn't have strung enough meaningful words together to have completed a thought complex enough to consider the weather and it's beneficial or adverse effects on a football game.

247Hog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 09, 2017, 02:17:52 pm

What is he supposed to say? He can either say yes its me or no it isn't. According to you, he's screwed either way.
And it's very obviously you did not follow the link because it says....

"The naked guy on the shark may have finally been identified, and it is reportedly a man named "Shawn" from upstate New York who is a former New York City police officer. And, get this, he was was going to meet with Florida Gators coach Jim McElwain to share a laugh about the infamous picture.

That's what David Pingalore, sports anchor for WKMG-TV in Orlando, told the Orlando Sentinel's Mike Bianchi on Friday on Bianch's "Open Mike" radio show on 96.9 The Game.

"This guy lives in upstate New York, that photo was taken two years ago off the shores of Long Island — not in Florida," Pingalore said. "I have the man that's fully clothed that's naked on the shark, on the boat. Yes, normal photographs."

AND

"WKMG-TV sports anchor David] Pingalore said the shark picture has been around for a couple of years, and also explained why the photo was taken in the first place.

"That picture was on the internet two years ago. This woman from the United Kingdom had send the tweet out, then Deadspin, what they did, was [ask] 'is this Jim McElwain or not?' They didn't say it was."

He said the photo was meant to be a parody. "They were mocking, according to this gentlemen, I guess in the UK there's some websites that naked women get on sharks, so they were trying to mock what women were doing with sharks."

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: 247Hog on October 09, 2017, 07:45:42 pm

What is he supposed to say? He can either say yes its me or no it isn't. According to you, he's screwed either way.

"The naked guy on the shark may have finally been identified, and it is reportedly a man named "Shawn" from upstate New York who is a former New York City police officer. And, get this, he was was going to meet with Florida Gators coach Jim McElwain to share a laugh about the infamous picture.

That's what David Pingalore, sports anchor for WKMG-TV in Orlando, told the Orlando Sentinel's Mike Bianchi on Friday on Bianch's "Open Mike" radio show on 96.9 The Game.

"This guy lives in upstate New York, that photo was taken two years ago off the shores of Long Island — not in Florida," Pingalore said. "I have the man that's fully clothed that's naked on the shark, on the boat. Yes, normal photographs."

Seems like a cover up to me. I'm not saying McElwain has a shark fetish but I'm also not saying McElwain doesn't have a shark fetish either. Seems quirky to me...neck like a chimney, prolly answers to "Big Jim", and seems to know his way around a poker table. Probably slathers peach cobbler on his inner thighs in the off-season...

thebignasty

Remember when Michael Vick went by Ron Mexico?

I'm not saying this is the same situation.  Would like to know Shawn's last name before I declare it Mcelwains stark ass fishing pseudonym.  I'm leaning that way, though.

247Hog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 09, 2017, 07:49:31 pm
Seems like a cover up to me. I'm not saying McElwain has a shark fetish but I'm also not saying McElwain doesn't have a shark fetish either. Seems quirky to me...neck like a chimney, prolly answers to " Big Jim

Maybe they can talk him into getting on top of a tiger in his Bday suit this year.

247Hog

Quote from: thebignasty on October 09, 2017, 07:49:57 pm
Remember when Michael Vick went by Ron Mexico?

I'm not saying this is the same situation.  Would like to know Shawn's last name before I declare it Mcelwains stark ass fishing pseudonym.  I'm leaning that way, though.

"WKMG-TV sports anchor David] Pingalore said the shark picture has been around for a couple of years, and also explained why the photo was taken in the first place.

"That picture was on the internet two years ago. This woman from the United Kingdom had send the tweet out, then Deadspin, what they did, was [ask] 'is this Jim McElwain or not?' They didn't say it was."

He said the photo was meant to be a parody. "They were mocking, according to this gentlemen, I guess in the UK there's some websites that naked women get on sharks, so they were trying to mock what women were doing with sharks."

247Hog

Don't get me wrong, i'd love for it to be true because it'd be probably one of the funniest things ive ever seen a coach do.

Side note, id like to think a multi-million dollar coach could afford a better boat in that picture.

thebignasty

Quote from: 247Hog on October 09, 2017, 07:51:04 pm

We might need a private eye.  I need a full accounting of Jim McElwain AKA Shawn's whereabouts prior to and in the immediate aftermath of the shark incident. If it really was British model parody, significant quirky factor points.  Maybe makes big Jim worth a second mention.

247Hog

Quote from: thebignasty on October 09, 2017, 07:54:37 pm
We might need a private eye.  I need a full accounting of Jim McElwain AKA Shawn's whereabouts prior to and in the immediate aftermath of the shark incident. If it really was British model parody, significant quirky factor points.  Maybe makes big Jim worth a second mention.

Private eye will get right on it after he figures out what happened to our O Line.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: thebignasty on October 09, 2017, 07:54:37 pm

Agreed. Additionally, word from Gainesville is ever since McElwain arrived on campus, a team GA has been sent to an area grocery store each week to pick up a pillowcase full of fresh mango pulp. To my knowledge, mango pulp isn't a Chondrichthyes aphrodisiac so that kind of behavior warrants a few clarifying questions.

247Hog

Quote from: Ward on October 09, 2017, 07:57:31 pm

smdh...

247, Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side...okay? We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn't see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, 247hog? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, sharks come cruisin' by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and...

...sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes 247. And the thing about a shark, 247, is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces.

I don't know. I think that's all I need to say about sharks for a few minutes.  >:(

LMAO  :)

thebignasty

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 09, 2017, 08:01:49 pm
Agreed. Additionally, word from Gainesville is ever since McElwain arrived on campus, a team GA has been sent to an area grocery store to pick up a pillowcase full of fresh mango pulp. To my knowledge, mango pulp isn't a Chondrichthyes aphrodisiac so that kind of behavior warrants a few clarifying questions.

Wondering if Sean is being miss-reported as Shawn. Potentially huge development.  Don't want to mess up and reveal too much. Could change hogville forever. I'll leave it there.

longpig

AND

IT'S HIM!
Don't be scared, be smart.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: thebignasty on October 09, 2017, 08:04:55 pm
Wondering if Sean is being miss-reported as Shawn. Potentially huge development.  Don't want to mess up and reveal too much. Could change hogville forever. I'll leave it there.

For now, I think it's safe to say McElwain stays on the list. The rest can be determined with a burlap sack, a list of McElwain's fears, a guy named Vinny, and an unmarked, windowless cargo van.

thebignasty

Quote from: Ward on October 09, 2017, 08:09:14 pm
does Mango pulp do anything for gastrointestinal this and that?

It's my belief that McElwain believes it will ward off scurvy.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Ward on October 09, 2017, 08:09:14 pm
does Mango pulp do anything for gastrointestinal this and that?

Great question. I don't have any experience personally but I've got to think that much mango pulp would turn ones colon into a slip n slide.

Rudy Baylor

247Hog

Gotta admit. I was firm it wasn't him but how can you deny all the facts laid out in this thread. I'm a believer!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Ward on October 09, 2017, 08:14:56 pm
Nice

Yep. I guess that covers McElwain. We should probably move to Orgeron's affinity for binders and question whether he has a locker on campus somewhere full of trapper keepers and Generra hypercolor tshirts.

Boardon Hamsay

The OTR

AND

Fake news. 

A few years ago I remember a story about how the smithsonian was covering up evidence that there were giants roaming the earth a few thousand years ago.  That I believe.  I can't think of a more dishonest business than the museum business. 

This story is too perfect.  Obviously Mcelwain paid this guy off or there is some other ruse that someone close to him concocted. 

For you to believe the story shows how naive you are. 

hoghearted

I do miss dear old OTR. Didn't he and PWJ visit the Ohio State message board for a first class troll job years ago?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hoghearted

Quote from: Ward on October 09, 2017, 08:34:19 pm
Hi

Seriously bro, I don't think anyone here knows who or what the hell you're talking about

That's just me!

well someone mentioned OTR, and it got me to thinking about him and Pondwater Jack, that's all. 

and for the record, I'm not a 'bro'.

Carry on.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

The OTR

Quote from: hoghearted on October 09, 2017, 08:29:17 pm
I do miss dear old OTR. Didn't he and PWJ visit the Ohio State message board for a first class troll job years ago?

From what I've heard those two visited quite a few message boards and in every case they ended up banned for life. 

Something about those two just seemed to get under the skin of the powers that be sort of like chiggers. One guy I know said that they were the same person.  Good riddance I say. A place as classy as this doesn't need a hobo like that hanging around. 

hoghearted

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: hoghearted on October 09, 2017, 08:36:06 pm
well someone mentioned OTR, and it got me to thinking about him and Pondwater Jack, that's all. 

and for the record, I'm not a 'bro'.

Carry on.

That's my fault. I am the eponymous manager of a large group of OTR historians. There was a time when I had to keep those chaps sleep deprived and on a diet of mini thins, jolt cola, and Frito pie hot pockets just to keep up to date with the life and times of one OTR. I think he retired some time ago but we can only hope one day he and Jadcks make a triumphant return. There probably aren't many boards OTR and Jadcks didn't troll and get bant from....goemaw, Ohio st, the Knoxville, TN School of Faith Healing, just to name a few...

The OTR

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 09, 2017, 08:48:37 pm
That's my fault. I am the eponymous manager of a large group of OTR historians. There was a time when I had to keep those chaps sleep deprived and on a diet of mini thins, jolt cola, and Frito pie hot pockets just to keep up to date with the life and times of one OTR. I think he retired some time ago but we can only hope one day he and Jadcks make a triumphant return. There probably aren't many boards OTR and Jadcks didn't troll and get bant from....goemaw, Ohio st, the Knoxville, TN School of Faith Healing, just to name a few...

I remember him always "retiring" from hogville. Seemed like as soon as he retired he was posting some nonsense about his made up brother or uncle or something every five seconds .

Guys like that have a shelf life.  He was like 2 month old buttermilk that has been sitting in an unplugged refrigerator.

Rudy Baylor

thread still weird

reported to mods

thebignasty

Jadks finest work was when he realized he might have fathered a few of the emaw fellers.

The OTR

Quote from: thebignasty on October 09, 2017, 09:29:27 pm
Jadks finest work was when he realized he might have fathered a few of the emaw fellers.

He had a nice run on tiger drippings as he called it as well.

Hoggish1

Less Miles takes the award hands down.  If he were to come here I would never again set foot in a stadium that Arkansas was playing in.

The OTR

AND

Thanks again, Jim.  Glad you're a member of our board. How did that loss feel to LSU on Saturday?