Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outcoached

Started by -Blu, March 24, 2014, 11:34:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: -Blu on March 24, 2014, 11:39:30 pm
It wouldn't matter we aren't even passing to them.  Just dribble along the 3 point line, shot fake, pass, pass, shoot a 3. That's all we are doing.  Everybody knows I'm a HUGE MA supporter, but this in inexcusable with the preparation we had.

I don't understand the lack of adjustments at times either, but when a team zones you like that, you have to be able to shoot over it to make them play honest.  We simply could not do that. 

Their coach did EXACTLY what I would do to us.  Zone up, force us to prove we could hit outside shots, and then adjust if necessary.  We never hit them, so they just packed it in to protect their smaller lineup due to injuries.  I shudder to think what that would have looked like had they been at full strength.   :-X

It is confounding how we can not just miss, but miss BADLY like that on the road, when we had guys making those shots like layup at BWA.  How do you even start to explain that disparity?  3 of 25 to start that game, and actually...I think it was a little worse than that and the ESPN crew had it wrong.  I think it was closer to 3 for 30.   :o 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

bigredone

Quote from: poloprince on March 25, 2014, 07:44:45 am
We did when he was an assistant so how can it be never?

Nothing can be added to this. Short and to the point. As close to perfect as any poster could ever hope for!

Temprees

March 25, 2014, 08:27:55 am #52 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:45:14 am by Temprees
Quote from: -Blu on March 25, 2014, 01:25:58 am
BBs, I thought we played an excellent 2nd part of the 2nd half.  But the first half we were just jacking up 3s, maybe I'm wrong and they attacked first, I'm going to go back and watch the game.

But, I can tell you this, I watch a lot of college b-ball.  I can honestly say I haven't seen a team that as good as we are just go on absolute scoring droughts like we do.  Don't get me wrong, all teams have bad shooting nights, but the difference is good teams compensate for it and get in the lane and score and get to the free throw line, we failed to do that for the first 20 minutes of the game.  And Portis and Harris were actually scoring almost every time they got the ball in the paint, I would have liked to have seen us continue to go to them, and drive the ball on them.
We were successful in the 2nd part of the second half because Kikko played like a point guard.  He did a great job of setting players up for easier shots.  Madden is not a good passer for a player that plays the point.  Madden dribbles too much, especially going side to side against a zone.  We would have good ball movement (causing the zone to shift -i.e. Get out of position) only to let the defense catch up by Madden or Qualls doing too much side to side dribbling.  Those two players also stop the good ball movement, by pausing when the get the ball and looking for a place to attack.  These pauses always let the zone defense recover.   On the otherhand, Kikko made quick decisions with the ball last night, and that is when we looked the best offensively. 

Kikko had 3 assists to Madden's 4, though Madden played significantly more minutes.  They both made one-third of their shots (Kikko 1 of 3; Madden 5 of 15).  But here's the rub, all of Kikko's shots were 3 point attempts.  Madden made 2 of his 5 three point attempts, but was 3 for 10 on his two point attempts, most of which came after he attempted to go one-on-one against a zone.  Those were shots, but many were not "good" shots. 

I am not trying to be critical of Madden's play, but merely to to point out that he is not a point guard, even though he did the best that he could while playing out of position.  Madden is a good three point shooter, when someone sets him up, rather than him shooting a three off the dribble.

Harris did score in the paint last night, 6 of 10; but at least 3, maybe 4 of those baskets came after his own offensive rebounds.  He had 5 offensive rebounds last night.  Another of his baskets was a dunk after a pass from Madden.  This was not during a half court set, but came after a shot and Madden got a long rebound and found Harris for the dunk.  This was the play where Harris foot hit the Cal player in the groin. Harris was not really effective in the half court sets last night.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Temprees on March 25, 2014, 08:27:55 am
We were successful in the 2nd part of the second half because Kikko played like a point guard.  He did a great job of setting players up for easier shots.  Madden is not a good passer for a player that plays the point.  Madden dribbles too much, especially going side to side against a zone.  We would have good ball movement (causing the zone to shift -i.e. Get out of position) only to let the defense catch up by Madden or Qualls doing too much side to side dribbling.  Those two players also stop the good ball movement, by pausing when the get the ball and looking for a place to attack.  These pauses always let the zone defense recover.   On the otherhand, Kikko made quick decisions with the ball last night, and that is when we looked the best offensively. 

Kikko had 3 assists to Madden's 4, though Madden played significantly more minutes.  They both made one-third of their shots (Kikko 1 of 3; Madden 5 of 15).  But here's the rub, all of Kikko's shots were 3 point attempts.  Madden made 2 of his 5 three point attempts, but was 3 for 10 on his two point attempts, most of which came after he attempted to go one-on-one against a zone.  Those were shots, but many were not "good" shots. 

I am not trying to be critical of Madden's play, but merely to to point out that he is not a point guard, even though he did the best that he could while playing out of position.  Madden is a good three point shooter, when someone sets him up, rather than him shooting a three off the dribble.

I agree with that.  But...the truth is, if we had ANYONE that could hit 3 pt. shots in that game early, it probably would have gone a lot differently.  We weren't even CLOSE.  More clangs than a 1950's fire engine. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogfan10

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 25, 2014, 12:32:35 am
You do realize they were playing zone?  You don't just position yourself into getting buckets in the lane.  Portis will need more beef.  We only shot 30% of our shots from 3, heck Cal was 29%.  I swear you guys just find what you look for, not what's actually there.

29% of Cals shots may have been 3's, but they made 43% of them. In the mean time we only made 17% of our attempts from the 3 point line, and attempted 10 more than Cal. All while we had a signigicant inside advantage.

hogfan10

Quote from: Temprees on March 25, 2014, 08:27:55 am

While I agree we do too much dribbling against zone defenses; in defense of Madden dribbling from side to side before passing, many times it is done to create a passing lane.
Our players do not understand offensive spacing. There is no point in finding an open spot on the floor, if there isn't a passing lane to get you the ball.

ua_hogs

March 25, 2014, 08:50:25 am #56 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:04:19 am by ua_hogs
If I remember correctly, we missed plenty of shots underneath the basket.  I'm not saying Mike isn't at fault because ultimately he is, however it's hard to coach when NO ONE on the team can buy a bucket.  We had open looks all over the court and couldn't convert.  Cal's coach playing zone wasn't a good coaching move, it was common sense.

Temprees

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 25, 2014, 08:40:39 am
While I agree we do too much dribbling against zone defenses; in defense of Madden dribbling from side to side before passing, many times it is done to create a passing lane.
Our players do not understand offensive spacing. There is no point in finding an open spot on the floor, if there isn't a passing lane to get you the ball.
It really not the whole team that is dribbling too much against the zone! it's Madden and Qualls.  Kikko found the passing lanes.  Kikko did not monopolize the ball with a lot of side to side dribbling trying to fine a lane.  That is not the way to beat a zone.  Quick ball movement, and penetration is the way.  But generally the penetrator needs to be ready to pass.  Kikko was ready.  Maddens and Qualls penetration against the zone generally resulted in their own acrobatic shots (misses for the most part).

hoglady

Can't put ALL of this one on Anderson.
Any team that starts out shooting as poorly as we did has trouble recovering. We took good shots that didn't fall - inside/outside it didn't matter.
Then as most teams do - we started forcing things.
Just a bad, bad shooting night.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hoglady on March 25, 2014, 09:03:06 am
Can't put ALL of this one on Anderson.
Any team that starts out shooting as poorly as we did has trouble recovering. We took good shots that didn't fall - inside/outside it didn't matter.
Then as most teams do - we started forcing things.
Just a bad, bad shooting night.

I agree.  In the end, someone has to make shots.  I still would have liked to see more patience, more passing, and finding a rhythm when we were struggling to start the game.  I'm not sure why they were so amped up, but even on TV it just looked like they needed to calm down. 

But again...we're in bed with MA, and complaining here isn't going to change anything.  He'll live and die by the system, and as my wife said last night as I cursed at the TV.....I can always stop watching if it drives me that crazy.   :D 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 25, 2014, 07:26:27 am
Sorry but guys 180 lbs soaking wet don't scare me. Only persons I would fear on our team is Clarke and Harris.
I would take Portis, ,Scott, Watkins, Kingsley against you as well.

hoglady

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 25, 2014, 09:06:19 am
I agree.  In the end, someone has to make shots.  I still would have liked to see more patience, more passing, and finding a rhythm when we were struggling to start the game.  I'm not sure why they were so amped up, but even on TV it just looked like they needed to calm down. 

But again...we're in bed with MA, and complaining here isn't going to change anything.  He'll live and die by the system, and as my wife said last night as I cursed at the TV.....I can always stop watching if it drives me that crazy.   :D 

We panicked when the shots weren't falling. I mean I was worried there for a while we would end the half in the teens. This team had no one on the floor to settle them down and carry them threw it. It's just the way it is. With a drought like we had, one person has to step up. Many of them tried, just no one had it last night. We need a few leaders - a few go to guys.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

pigture perfect

Mike Montgomery is a future HOF coach. Comparing him and Anderson is like a NASA Engineer compared with a high school science teacher. I knew that going in. I thought we had a deeper group of athletes who would eventually wear Cal down. But we couldn't convert.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

tbhogfan

Most every team looks bad when they don't shoot well, but the one thing that drove me mad about Nolan's teams, and now Mike's as well is the lack of fundamentals when it comes to rebounding. 

Let's be clear: I have the highest regard for both Nolan and Mike, this is just one of those things that jumps out at me when I watch the game.

I understand that we play a gambling style of defense, and there are going to be times when we are out of position, but at some point the ball is going up towards the basket.   We seldom seem to block out, or (like I was taught back in the stone age) "attack the ball with both hands."   We take one-handed swipes at the ball and frequently just knock it out of bounds (giving the other team a free possession).   

We work so hard to get steals and turnovers, it seems a shame to lose easy possessions through poor rebounding form. 
Go Hogs!

Wildhog

Can't shoot poorly if you're going to play street ball.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 25, 2014, 09:18:15 am
Mike Montgomery is a future HOF coach. Comparing him and Anderson is like a NASA Engineer compared with a high school science teacher. I knew that going in. I thought we had a deeper group of athletes who would eventually wear Cal down. But we couldn't convert.
That's the issue with our fan base. If we win, it was the talent wearing the other team down, or maybe just our talent winning out in the end. If we lose, we were simply outcoached.
The difference between Montgomery and Anderson isn't as huge as you want it to be.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: tbhogfan on March 25, 2014, 09:19:42 am
Most every team looks bad when they don't shoot well, but the one thing that drove me mad about Nolan's teams, and now Mike's as well is the lack of fundamentals when it comes to rebounding. 

Let's be clear: I have the highest regard for both Nolan and Mike, this is just one of those things that jumps out at me when I watch the game.

I understand that we play a gambling style of defense, and there are going to be times when we are out of position, but at some point the ball is going up towards the basket.   We seldom seem to block out, or (like I was taught back in the stone age) "attack the ball with both hands."   We take one-handed swipes at the ball and frequently just knock it out of bounds (giving the other team a free possession).   

We work so hard to get steals and turnovers, it seems a shame to lose easy possessions through poor rebounding form.

Shooters and rebounders have to come into this system with those skills already ingrained, because they aren't going to be taught that here.  Portis will continue to shoot from behind his head, and as we saw in the elbow to the nose play by Qualls, he will continue to miss rebounds because he doesn't aggressively go after the ball with two hands. 

It's about hawking the ball and trapping on defense, and to tell you the truth...I don't know what it's about on offense. 

But...get in a few shooters, and a dedicated rebounder or two who can defend...and we can have another break out season.  We just have to live with the ups and downs, and hope we get the talent to have more ups than downs.   

20gauge

We shot horrible from everywhere on the floor. We got the ball inside and missed as well. Then we got in catch up mode and it was over. A good season but we faltered in our last few games.

Madden played well but as stated is not a true point guard and lacks the quickness needed for the position. He should improve even more next year though.

Portis will get stronger and Kingsley should improve as well.

JayBell

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 24, 2014, 11:45:08 pmOur shooting overall is really good, just inconsistent. If we played again tomorrow, we'd shoot lights out and Bell would score 30 instead of 0.

But that's the problem with an over-reliance on jump shooting, especially when it comes tourney time.  Look at Creighton on Sunday.  They'd probably beat Baylor more often than not, but the Bears were hot and the Blue Jays had no backup plan when they started cold.  The same thing happened to Arkansas at least half a dozen times this season.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: JayBell on March 25, 2014, 09:27:34 am
But that's the problem with an over-reliance on jump shooting, especially when it comes tourney time.  Look at Creighton on Sunday.  They'd probably beat Baylor more often than not, but the Bears were hot and the Blue Jays had no backup plan when they started cold.  The same thing happened to Arkansas at least half a dozen times this season.
Gotta dance with the one who brung ya.

We attempted to force it inside after the rough start and we simply do not have a low post scorer right now. We get all of our inside scoring from penetration.

Portis needs to focus primarily on back to the basket game this off season. He'll be deadly from there as both a scorer and passer if he learns to play posting up.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 25, 2014, 09:21:21 am
That's the issue with our fan base. If we win, it was the talent wearing the other team down, or maybe just our talent winning out in the end. If we lose, we were simply outcoached.
The difference between Montgomery and Anderson isn't as huge as you want it to be.

We can analyze this all day long.  What happened was....we had to be able to hit outside shots to beat that zone, and we didn't.  We start that game hitting three 3's in a row, and it probably looks completely different. 

I still contend that what separated us during that 6 of 7 streak was playing with 100% intensity on defense.  The style we play does not work any other way, because if you're a half step slow, you're just out of position too often and can't recover. 

If MA had it to do over again, I would have to believe that he might try a zone defense after we were getting burned on back door cuts and great passing for uncontested layups to start the game.  We looked lost for whatever reason, and I just think slowing it down on offense AND defense for a bit to settle down would have helped our cause.  But...I also knew it wouldn't happen. 

hogfan10

Quote from: Temprees on March 25, 2014, 08:54:43 am
It really not the whole team that is dribbling too much against the zone! it's Madden and Qualls.  Kikko found the passing lanes.  Kikko did not monopolize the ball with a lot of side to side dribbling trying to fine a lane.  That is not the way to beat a zone.  Quick ball movement, and penetration is the way.  But generally the penetrator needs to be ready to pass.  Kikko was ready.  Maddens and Qualls penetration against the zone generally resulted in their own acrobatic shots (misses for the most part).

You're changing the topic, are we discussing ball rotation, or penetrate and kick out? I clearly agreed we do not rotate the basketball quickly, the ball seems to stop with each successive pass. I think that on many occasions the receiver does not present himself in a manner that allows for a fluid rotation of the ball. Now dribble drive, I agree Madden does not kick out (pass) as well as Haydar, but his dribble drive shot is probably our best, most consistent offense. Why drive and kick out to someone who is going to remain stationary and dribble until they are defended.

Kevin

the outcoaching came when you looked at the starting line up.

cal started 4 guards. which meant all but one guy could handle the ball.

the third pass vs the hogs pressure, is what killed them. that pass was made to a guard who could attack the back of the press. against a traditional line up that pass is made to a non ball handler.

once, cal got rolling, i would have liked to see the hogs, play some half court d to get some stops.

nolan said it, that he did not watch much film, i assume this staff is the same.

we are going to play the way, we are going to play. no matter the opponent. their strengths & weaknesses.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Kevin on March 25, 2014, 09:44:37 am
the outcoaching came when you looked at the starting line up.

cal started 4 guards. which meant all but one guy could handle the ball.

the third pass vs the hogs pressure, is what killed them. that pass was made to a guard who could attack the back of the press. against a traditional line up that pass is made to a non ball handler.

once, cal got rolling, i would have liked to see the hogs, play some half court d to get some stops.

nolan said it, that he did not watch much film, i assume this staff is the same.

we are going to play the way, we are going to play. no matter the opponent. their strengths & weaknesses.

...exactly, and as fans, we'll be a broken record here saying the same things over and over.  Hey...I had the same frustrations with Nolan season after season, but when we had the right mix of players in 94 and 95...we were a tough out.  Here's to hoping we see that again... 

pigture perfect

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 25, 2014, 09:21:21 am
not true. We were out coached in several games we won.

Not a difference between Anderson and Montgomery? Would any NBA team want MA to coach their team?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

JayBell

Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 25, 2014, 09:33:38 amGotta dance with the one who brung ya.

We attempted to force it inside after the rough start and we simply do not have a low post scorer right now. We get all of our inside scoring from penetration.

Portis needs to focus primarily on back to the basket game this off season. He'll be deadly from there as both a scorer and passer if he learns to play posting up.

Why are folks acting like Portis and Kingsley were the only options?  Clarke played 13 minutes in his last college game.  Anthlon Bell played 25 minutes and finished 1-10 shooting, 1-6 from 3-pt.

When you can potentially have a lineup with Qualls, Clarke, Harris and Portis/Kingsley on the court, there is no reason a team should keep jacking up outside shots.  Cal may have clogged the lane, but Arkansas was able to attack the offensive boards.  You would expect Arkansas' advantages in size and athleticism to come in very handy when you get those guys attacking the rim.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: JayBell on March 25, 2014, 10:15:28 am
Why are folks acting like Portis and Kingsley were the only options?  Clarke played 13 minutes in his last college game.  Anthlon Bell played 25 minutes and finished 1-10 shooting, 1-6 from 3-pt.

When you can potentially have a lineup with Qualls, Clarke, Harris and Portis/Kingsley on the court, there is no reason a team should keep jacking up outside shots.  Cal may have clogged the lane, but Arkansas was able to attack the offensive boards.  You would expect Arkansas' advantages in size and athleticism to come in very handy when you get those guys attacking the rim.

Before the ball was ever tipped...and I knew who they were missing, I expected us to go big and exploit that weakness.  Nope.  Started Bell, which sent a message that we were going to rely on making shots. 

Also, we did get some offensive rebounds to start the game, but the junk we throw up in the lane is comical.  Double pumps...finesse shots without even using the glass...no beef.  The only player who goes strong is Harris, and it's a 50/50 chance of him keeping the ball long enough to get the shot off.  Kingsley is going to develop that game...I really believe that.  What's puzzling is, if Portis shows he can hit from 12-15 feet, and Kingsley can post up and play with his back to the basket, will MA EVER put both of them in there at one time?  I'm not sure he will, because I think it doesn't fit his scheme on defense. 

HognotinMemphis

March 25, 2014, 10:22:26 am #77 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:32:50 am by HoginMemphis
We are all 3's and alley oop dunks. No offense, no defense. Only scramble and hustle when down by 25 points.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2014, 10:22:26 am
We are all 3's and alley pop dunks. No offense, no defense. Only scramble and hustle when down by 25.

We may agree on something HiM.  Be back in a sec...going to check my temperature.   :D

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 25, 2014, 10:30:16 am
We may agree on something HiM.  Be back in a sec...going to check my temperature.   :D
You watched way more Hog bball than I did this year I am sure. Most Hog fans did. But when I did watch them, this is what I saw. Not much discipline on offense, gave up way to early to take a long shot or tried to get an alley oop dunk.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Remember the SMU game in BWA? Arkansas shot almost 60%...from 3 point range! How? Why? If they could do it then, why not ever again? If the 3 is their offense, why during the last 5 games of the year are they suddenly unable to make a shot? I do not understand the inconsistency. Frankly, it reminds me of Houston Nutt-coached teams. His teams were a world beater one game then would lose to Mount St Mary's the next game. He could never figure out what he was doing right when it all went well, thus he and his teams could never repeat the success, even from one game to the next.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2014, 10:33:44 am
You watched way more Hog bball than I did this year I am sure. Most Hog fans did. But when I did watch them, this is what I saw. Not much discipline on offense, gave up way to early to take a long shot or tried to get an alley oop dunk.

Last night, one of the worst things that happened to us was how wide open we were to start the game.  We didn't even have to make more than one pass to have an uncontested shot.  So..naturally, the thought was, "Well...just keep jacking 'em up there, and eventually they'll go in."  Then it was 23-6.

Had we been forced to work for some of those shots, maybe the ball rotation improves, and we play more as a team with less dribbling and more movement. 

Everything on that team is predicated on giving 100% on defense.  Sadly...we only saw that when we got down more than 20 pts, and by the time we nibbled it away to 10 or so a few times...they would hit a critical 3, and we'd lose our spark and go back to playing less than 100%.   

Kenny Sowers

Had nothing to do with being out coached and everything to do with being able to put the ball in the basket. Mike can't come out on the floor and shoot for them! Yeah I know, this is the guys he recruited, yes it is. It is also the same team that scored 110 a few weeks back and made 17 3's. They can shoot, tonight was just not their night, face it.
CMA "We're going to pick them up when they get off the damn bus", in reference to guarding the other team.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 25, 2014, 10:36:48 am
Remember the SMU game in BWA? Arkansas shot almost 60%...from 3 point range! How? Why? If they could do it then, why not ever again? If the 3 is their offense, why during the last 5 games of the year are they suddenly unable to make a shot? I do not understand the inconsistency. Frankly, it reminds me of Houston Nutt-coached teams. His teams were a world beater one game then would lose to Mount St Mary's the next game. He could never figure out what he was doing right when it all went well, thus he and his teams could never repeat the success, even from one game to the next.

I get what you're saying...but I'm not sure there's ever any rhyme or reason regarding why you make or miss shots.  It's contagious too, and it seems like that phenomenon is exaggerated with this team for whatever reason. 

The 100% effort on defense is the system that is intended to counteract all of those deficiencies when they arise, by creating turnovers.  The whole thing breaks down when we give 80%. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Kenny Sowers on March 25, 2014, 10:42:43 am
Had nothing to do with being out coached and everything to do with being able to put the ball in the basket. Mike can't come out on the floor and shoot for them! Yeah I know, this is the guys he recruited, yes it is. It is also the same team that scored 110 a few weeks back and made 17 3's. They can shoot, tonight was just not their night, face it.

This is what's left when you boil it down.  It's just hard to explain, and it's something that all teams have a risk of facing.  It has knocked out many a good team before their time...

I still would have liked to have seen at least some effort to get it inside, get fouled...or do something when we were letting them get up 23-6.  We had SIX points with 8 minutes and change to go in the half.  SIX. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 25, 2014, 10:38:44 am
Last night, one of the worst things that happened to us was how wide open we were to start the game.  We didn't even have to make more than one pass to have an uncontested shot.  So..naturally, the thought was, "Well...just keep jacking 'em up there, and eventually they'll go in."  Then it was 23-6.

Had we been forced to work for some of those shots, maybe the ball rotation improves, and we play more as a team with less dribbling and more movement. 

Everything on that team is predicated on giving 100% on defense.  Sadly...we only saw that when we got down more than 20 pts, and by the time we nibbled it away to 10 or so a few times...they would hit a critical 3, and we'd lose our spark and go back to playing less than 100%.   
Well, it is a real shame that our main problem was getting wide open shots. Gee, rough times for sure.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 25, 2014, 10:45:50 am
I get what you're saying...but I'm not sure there's ever any rhyme or reason regarding why you make or miss shots.  It's contagious too, and it seems like that phenomenon is exaggerated with this team for whatever reason. 

The 100% effort on defense is the system that is intended to counteract all of those deficiencies when they arise, by creating turnovers.  The whole thing breaks down when we give 80%.
If you are giving less than 100% on defense, why does that player or players stay in the game? Who can we blame for that?

hawgfan4life

Good grief!  We got wide open looks the entire first half.  In D1 standards, they were virtually uncontested much of the time.  For Port is 6 points that carried us for so long, he missed 10 points in routine distance for a big, fumbled as many, and looked soft.  Clark was worse, and Squalls looked silly inside.  This team has glaring problems that are only fixed when we can hit outside shots.  MA wasn't out coached last night.  His players shot crappy and the team looked crappy.

Our system is unconventional and too many of you judge it through conventional standards when we lose.

Fans will be a lot happier just enjoying wins and stop trying to overanalyze every play, player, and game.  AR is still missing pieces of the puzzle.  If MA makes progress next year equal to each of last two years, we will be a tough team and in the NCAA.  Had the SEC been divisions this year, we would have won the division based on final records.  We haven't even come close to that in years

hogville38

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 25, 2014, 07:26:27 am
Sorry but guys 180 lbs soaking wet don't scare me. Only persons I would fear on our team is Clarke and Harris.
haha its called reach hard to get a hold of someone that has a long reach. I have a feeling the way you carry yourself Kinko may be a challenge for you. I grew up around people that like to talk tough and have found most of the time they are all blow.

hobhog

What is frustrating is Montgomery even admitted before the game what his plan was: play small and fast and run the floor due to his bigs being down. What happens? He out hawgballs us!

They ran the floor better than us, played better D, and took it whistle to whistle. Sad that he shows his cards and still runs OUR game plan better for one game than we can after a whole year.

Danny J

Quote from: hoglady on March 25, 2014, 09:12:34 am
We panicked when the shots weren't falling. I mean I was worried there for a while we would end the half in the teens. This team had no one on the floor to settle them down and carry them threw it. It's just the way it is. With a drought like we had, one person has to step up. Many of them tried, just no one had it last night. We need a few leaders - a few go to guys.
I agree totally....our "leader" is silent most of the time and leads by example but when things aren't going well for him then that doesn't work. Then there is Madden who tries to be a leader but makes terrible decisions most of the time. When I think of the word panic in regards to this team playing on the court the first person I think of is Madden. He usually leads the panic charge.

Durham and Beard will help in that regard. We need a true leader from that spot. A person out high who can slow things down at times and allow the others to take a deep breath.

Atlhogfan1

It would be good for leadership to come soon from someone within the team that is capable of putting fear into his teammates in addition to leading on the court. The coaching staff isn't going to do it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TOM "tbw1"

Accomplishments and honors
Championships
NIT Championship (1991)
Pac-10 Regular Season Championship (1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010)
Pac-10 Conference Tournament Championship (2004)
Awards
Naismith College Coach of the Year (2000)
John R. Wooden "Legends of Coaching" Lifetime Achievement Award (2004)
Pac-10 Coach of the Year (1999, 2000, 2003, 2004)

If that is HOF material, you need to build a bigger building.  But, there is no doubt he is a good technical coach. 
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on March 25, 2014, 01:40:01 pm
Accomplishments and honors
Championships
NIT Championship (1991)
Pac-10 Regular Season Championship (1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010)
Pac-10 Conference Tournament Championship (2004)
Awards
Naismith College Coach of the Year (2000)
John R. Wooden "Legends of Coaching" Lifetime Achievement Award (2004)
Pac-10 Coach of the Year (1999, 2000, 2003, 2004)

If that is HOF material, you need to build a bigger building.  But, there is no doubt he is a good technical coach.

You left out 675 college wins and a Final 4. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 25, 2014, 11:16:03 am
Good grief!  We got wide open looks the entire first half.  In D1 standards, they were virtually uncontested much of the time.  For Port is 6 points that carried us for so long, he missed 10 points in routine distance for a big, fumbled as many, and looked soft.  Clark was worse, and Squalls looked silly inside.  This team has glaring problems that are only fixed when we can hit outside shots.  MA wasn't out coached last night.  His players shot crappy and the team looked crappy.

Our system is unconventional and too many of you judge it through conventional standards when we lose.

Fans will be a lot happier just enjoying wins and stop trying to overanalyze every play, player, and game.  AR is still missing pieces of the puzzle.  If MA makes progress next year equal to each of last two years, we will be a tough team and in the NCAA.  Had the SEC been divisions this year, we would have won the division based on final records.  We haven't even come close to that in years

At some point...it has to be acknowledged that these "pieces" of the puzzle that you are referring to, are nothing more than more talented players.  That's a double meaning...more in quantity, and more in terms of what they can bring to the table for specific roles.

There is no guarantee that we're going to have more collective talent than what we have currently.  I'm happy with recruiting to this point, and I like MA.  I think we can do great things, and I have faith.  I was frustrated with Nolan, and I'm frustrated with MA at times, but NOTHING like the frustration we had under Heath and Pel.  So...take the good with the bad.   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hobhog on March 25, 2014, 12:08:07 pm
What is frustrating is Montgomery even admitted before the game what his plan was: play small and fast and run the floor due to his bigs being down. What happens? He out hawgballs us!

They ran the floor better than us, played better D, and took it whistle to whistle. Sad that he shows his cards and still runs OUR game plan better for one game than we can after a whole year.

That shouldn't have shocked anyone.  We haven't effectively cut off dribble penetration in more than a handful of games this season.  We have to play defense more with our feet...not our hands. 

Cal got a little lucky.  We couldn't hit from 3, and that could have been 180 degrees, and then they would have had no answer.  We lost...because we missed. 

Rbill

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on March 24, 2014, 11:36:45 pm
I said at halftime what my lineup in the second half would be and it is based on the first half.

Madden
Bell
Harris
Portis
Kingsley

They only have one big man. Only one. Just put Harris and Portis down on the blocks and have Kingsley cleaning up misses. We win this game going away. Obviously shots aren't falling to start second half so get it inside.

Why in the world would you play Bell in the 2nd half based on the first half? I'm fine with him playing in the first half to see if he decided to show up. But he didn't score until 4 minutes left in the game. That was the epitome of why we lost this game. Bell: 25 minutes, 1-10 shooting. Hits one shot with 4 minutes to go in the game. Clarke 13 minutes, Kingsley 15 minutes and looking very good, Wade 5 minutes, Kikko 13 minutes. And Bell with 25 minutes just missing everything. I truly don't understand it, or I wouldn't bother mentioning it. Why don't we adjust? Did coach silently decide that Bell was our only chance to get back in the game?

Spider-Pig

We outrebounded them, had a +11 turnover margin, and had 31 more field goal attempts than Cal. Couldn't make any shots

sportster365

I agree with the OP on this one. The Razorbacks have struggled against the zone all year. We seem to have no answer for it. Hopefully once we get a legit pg and maybe some guards who's capable of creating off the dribble will help some when the jumpers aren't falling.

Cal started out nearly just as cold as we did, yet while they remained in the 2-3 zone, Mike stayed in man-to-man. I mean geez, switch it up a little Mike. Those guys were having just as tough a time finding the basket as we were... and for whatever it's worth I don't understand why Mike refused to call a zone defense and force them to hit the outside basket.

RazorPiggie

March 25, 2014, 04:36:58 pm #99 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:47:07 pm by RazorPiggie (Matt D)
Quote from: BBsTheMan on March 25, 2014, 09:07:36 am
I would take Portis, ,Scott, Watkins, Kingsley against you as well.

Ok. Now Kingsley would definitely be a handful, he actually has some aggression.