Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Media on Basketball

Started by -Blu, December 17, 2013, 12:41:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster Hogburn

Quote from: -Blu on December 18, 2013, 04:02:19 pm
I actually hate to read, unless it's about sports.  I love to debate sports, that's my guilty hobby.  And as far as my education I just have bachelors in Business Administration, I don't know what school you went to that basic communications classes are considered "high level coursework." And I don't care if someone doesn't agree with me, it's actually good to hear other opinions, as you can see many people don't agree with what I say, that's fine that's what discussion boards are for.  However, if someone calls me out and takes it personal and challenges my character and intelligence, I'm going to come right back at them.  You guys telling me "sensitive" I am has nothing to do with the OP.  You don't even know me and trying to predict what I've done in life. 

#letpeopledefendthemselves
#nicepredictionsbro
#nobodywastalkingtoyou

I love your style. Sensitive people are very predictable. I enjoy your friendship.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

-Blu

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on December 18, 2013, 05:29:08 pm
I love your style. Sensitive people are very predictable. I enjoy your friendship.

I see why your smites almost double your applauds.  Almost everything you post is either negative or attacking people.  You've yet to post anything thats actually contributes to a positive conversation.  Everytime i see you post now im going to use your hashtag action u started to describe your posts. 

#Internettoughguy
#Lowselfesteem
#Justgotanothersmite

dsims2k3

Quote from: -Blu on December 17, 2013, 12:41:57 am
Someone let me know if this is just me or does the Arkansas media really doesn't care about basketball.  This reason I'm making this thread is because of the beating our own media has been giving the basketball team over a 29 point win over Savannah State.  I've literally never seen a team take so much flak for a win with this large of a margin.

It started this week just listening to Sports Talk Bo.  Besides the fact that they only talk about basketball for probably 20 minutes on a 4 hour show,  They just gave the Bball team no love for this win and made it all negative, and one of the guys that works on show that's still a student, came on and gave his take on the game and was stating how pathetic it was and how we have to learn to make statements against teams like this, and just overall bashing the team for their performance in the game.  If you didn't watch the game and know what the final score was you would have thought we just squeaked by with a win.  And even with that said, Bo is always skeptical about the basketball team and points out the flaws and how we don't have a real pg etc.  That wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that if you call and say ANYTHING negative about the football team, CBB, or Brandon Allen's QB play, he will literally go off on you like that's his Dad and his son and defend the heck out of the razorbacks no matter how bad they lost.  Bo is literally the only person in the nation that think that Brandon Allen running a 4'7 is fast.  But, if you wanna call and talk bad about Ky Madden and PG play, or if CMA's seat is getting hot, that's just fine by him and he agrees with most of it.  I just don't understand how you can be an extreme homer for the football team, but any little thing that's not perfect the basketball team does you like to point that out.  It's funny to me because every game after the football team losses the focus on the positives and talk about recruits coming in etc.  But, the basketball team wins by 29 points after having a bad first half and the entire focus is on how bad we played the first half.

And the Razorback Pig Trail Nation show is even worse, I record that show every week and watch it, and I was literally shocked at their 5 min coverage of the basketball team.  It was nothing but negative.  The started the segment by calling the win an "Ugly Win", then Mike Irwin comes on and the first thing he says is "A buddy of mine told me he turned the channel after the first 8 minutes."  Who says stuff like that?  I didn't hear him say anything about his buddies turning the channel when the football team was losing to Samford.  And the entire focus was on how bad the team played, and how this was the 7th worse attendance for a game.  Like, why even say that, who cares about the 7th worse attendance, that's the first time I've ever heard anything mentioned about being the 7th worse or 7th best at anything, that's completely irrelevant information.  And this is the same show that praises everything CBB and the football team does.

I know some of the media guys post on here and read fourms, and I just want to say, if you guys are going to be homers for the football team, do the same for the basketball team, because they deserve that same respect from their home media.  If your going to nitpick everything the basketball team does in wins, then I want to hear some nitpicking on the football team when we are down going into the 4th quarter against teams like Samford, and losing leads to teams like Rutgers.

Blu has a legit point on the nitpicking the media does on the basketball program as opposed to the unapologetic homer attitude toward the football team. A prime example lies in the relentless criticism of the basketball schedule. Every one is quick to point out how weak it is. However prior to the 2012 football season (before Harley-gate), everyone was excited about how the schedule "lined up nicely for a big run". No one ever dared to question whether the SOS could potentially effect the BCS rankings that year.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

dsims2k3

Quote from: dsims2k3 on December 18, 2013, 09:01:08 pm
Blu has a legit point on the nitpicking the media does on the basketball program as opposed to the unapologetic homer attitude toward the football team. A prime example lies in the relentless criticism of the basketball schedule. Every one is quick to point out how weak it is. However prior to the 2012 football season (before Harley-gate), everyone was excited about how the schedule "lined up nicely for a big run" since there were only 3 ranked teams to play at the time. No one ever dared to question whether the SOS could potentially effect the BCS rankings that year.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

nextlevel

Tonight @ 6 on KFSM, the preview for tomorrow night's game included "how slow starting" this team has been and "how poor of a shooting team this is".

They used creative stats to dismiss actual stats, because stats.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Marshfieldhog

Our media is and has always been a joke....I wouldn't classify Bo Mattingly as media, anyone that listens to him must be really bored.

jkstock04

There does seem to be some bias going on among our media...I have noticed it as well. This is shaping up to be one of the better BBall teams we have had in years yet you aren't hearing much about them...and what I am hearing a lot of is negative.

Our schedule has been horrendous overall no doubt...but when the football team is playing Layfayette and Samford the spin and sunshine was pumping 100 mph. I mean lol literally we have one of the worst football programs currently in school history...it is awful. The bball program is on the way up...I think they oughta tilt some of that bias towards the bball program as well. Or at least call it like it is.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

-Blu

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 19, 2013, 01:15:08 am
There does seem to be some bias going on among our media...I have noticed it as well. This is shaping up to be one of the better BBall teams we have had in years yet you aren't hearing much about them...and what I am hearing a lot of is negative.

Our schedule has been horrendous overall no doubt...but when the football team is playing Layfayette and Samford the spin and sunshine was pumping 100 mph. I mean lol literally we have one of the worst football programs currently in school history...it is awful. The bball program is on the way up...I think they oughta tilt some of that bias towards the bball program as well. Or at least call it like it is.

I remember how much they hyped the Layfayette game up for football this year.  They talked about how good of a game it would be and how underrated ULL was, and how many seniors they had, and how good a win this would be.  They talked and hyped this game up for about a month. They made it seem like we were about to play USC on the road.  ULL did end of winning their conference and having an 8-4 record, but our media hyped them to be much more than they are to support the football team.  On the flipside, we played ULL in basketball this year, there also expected to be a good team and win their conference, however I heard nothing to hype that game from our media, all I heard was how weak this schedule is and they talked about the poor attendance for that game.  I don't remember 1 person saying this was a quality win, and ULL will be a tournament team.  And I think the reason is because none of them cared enough to research them, or didn't care enough about watching the game.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: -Blu on December 19, 2013, 10:01:12 am
I remember how much they hyped the Layfayette game up for football this year.  They talked about how good of a game it would be and how underrated ULL was, and how many seniors they had, and how good a win this would be.  They talked and hyped this game up for about a month. They made it seem like we were about to play USC on the road.  ULL did end of winning their conference and having an 8-4 record, but our media hyped them to be much more than they are to support the football team.  On the flipside, we played ULL in basketball this year, there also expected to be a good team and win their conference, however I heard nothing to hype that game from our media, all I heard was how weak this schedule is and they talked about the poor attendance for that game.  I don't remember 1 person saying this was a quality win, and ULL will be a tournament team.  And I think the reason is because none of them cared enough to research them, or didn't care enough about watching the game.
Perfect example of the point being made in this thread. I agree

Atlhogfan1

I'll give this another shot.

The immediate expectations of each program is different and is probably influencing the commentary for each.  The football program is probably in its biggest rebuild since the early 90s and the expectations were the team was going to have a bad season.  The minimal expectation for the basketball team was a 20+ win season and postseason play AND the non conference home schedule was going to be soft.  It is no surprise what the narratives were going to be for each after seeing the early games from those who give their opinions.  It isn't some conspiracy.  The example that has continued to be complained about is ULL.  ULL football appeared to be a bigger threat to beat our football team than ULL basketball did to beat our basketball team.  Just because JB will create threads like Mike outcoaching the ULL coach doesn't mean you are going to get that from the in state talking heads.  They may have an agenda but it may not be the same agenda that JB appears to have.  For someone like Bo, his show may not be as interesting if he goes with the group think even if what he says he doesn't believe.  It is his job to spark conversation and thought which keeps listeners. 

If you can't handle it, stay here in the protection of Jump Ball and stop listening to the in state commentators.  And yes, fewer opinion givers probably cared less about ULL basketball vs the ULL football game as the interest in basketball isn't what it once was especially in November vs the opener of the college football season.  Big differences.  Some of you act like your feelings are hurt over the interest in football vs basketball. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 19, 2013, 01:22:37 pm
If you can't handle it, stay here in the protection of Jump Ball and stop listening to the in state commentators.  And yes, fewer opinion givers probably cared less about ULL basketball vs the ULL football game as the interest in basketball isn't what it once was especially in November vs the opener of the college football season.  Big differences.  Some of you act like your feelings are hurt over the interest in football vs basketball.

Your first paragraph was a very good insightful post, that actually contributed to this topic.  But, your last paragraph that I just quoted is unnecessary.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not losing any sleep over what the media says about the basketball team.  I just started a topic that I thought was relevant and could make for some good discussion.  So, all this "Stop being sensitive", "You can't handle it when conference play starts", and "Stay in Jumpball" comments are just a waste of your time to post.  THIS IS A DISCUSSION BOARD, PEOPLE DISCUSS TOPICS.  This thread's topic is about does the media favor the football team over the basketball team.  If you don't care about the subject or don't have any positive information to contribute, don't post.  There are several topics, that I care absolutely nothing about, that I think are pointless, but I don't go in there and attack the other people for wanting to discuss topics on a discussion board, because that would be weird.

jesterzzn

Quote from: -Blu on December 17, 2013, 12:41:57 am
Someone let me know if this is just me or does the Arkansas media really doesn't care about basketball.  This reason I'm making this thread is because of the beating our own media has been giving the basketball team over a 29 point win over Savannah State.  I've literally never seen a team take so much flak for a win with this large of a margin.

It started this week just listening to Sports Talk Bo.  Besides the fact that they only talk about basketball for probably 20 minutes on a 4 hour show,  They just gave the Bball team no love for this win and made it all negative, and one of the guys that works on show that's still a student, came on and gave his take on the game and was stating how pathetic it was and how we have to learn to make statements against teams like this, and just overall bashing the team for their performance in the game.

I agree.  The guy Bo was talking to that had the story about how bad the team looked defended his story by saying, "They should have won by 50."  I thought I had reached a point where nothing that comes out of a member of Arkansas sports media could faze me, but yet again they lowered the bar.  I can't remember the guys name, but his whole attitude reminded me of a child who knows he's out of line but just can't bring himself to admit it.  So he fits right in with the rest of them.

QuoteAnd the Razorback Pig Trail Nation show is even worse, I record that show every week and watch it, and I was literally shocked at their 5 min coverage of the basketball team.  It was nothing but negative.  The started the segment by calling the win an "Ugly Win", then Mike Irwin comes on and the first thing he says is "A buddy of mine told me he turned the channel after the first 8 minutes." 

I didn't see this, but Irwin has never really struck me as intentionally negative.  I believe that the show is put on by the same company that the 'reporter' Bo was talking to works for, so I'm not really surprised that the tone was very similar.

rzrbackramsfan

It dies bother me on the time they cover bball on there.  5 minute? C'mon!

Hoggish1

So, you're saying there is a media (sports) in Arkansas?

Link?...

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 17, 2013, 01:14:39 am
Well said ....media coverage has as much of an effect on attendance as the product itself. +1

Probably the other way around.  Media is a business.  Profits are important.  Lack of coverage probably has much to do with lack of demand, i.e. interest.

I managed to catch nearly 1.5 seconds of game action at some point during the first half tonight.  It happened to be when the camera was at an angle showing the 10 or so fans in the stands.