Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The all time Arkansas team.

Started by Ethan2010, April 30, 2013, 01:16:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan2010

Offseason means time to kill,  if you could pick from every razorback ever to wear the uniform.who would fill your roster? I will post my depth chart a little later but in the meantime feel free to fill out your own.

RazorPiggie

hvsupastar

WR: Monk
WR: Alworth
WR: Adams
TE: DJ Williams
LT: Jason Peters(although he was glorified TE under Nutt)
LG:???
C:  Luigs
RG: Burlesworth
RT: Andrews
RB: McFadden
QB: Mallett

Some people are a little shuffled out of position. But that would be my 1st team offense could I have every one yo put where I could get the best 11 on field.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Music City Razorback

"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

hvsupastar

DE: Bequette
DT: Harrison
DT: B.  Jones
DE: Anderson
LB: Miller
LB: Petty
LB: Bua
CB: Richardson
FS: Atwater
SS: Hamlin
CB: Houston
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

cmpledger

Bohemond

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 30, 2013, 01:31:11 pm
WR: Monk
WR: Alworth
WR: Adams
TE: DJ Williams
LT: Jason Peters(although he was glorified TE under Nutt)
LG:???
C:  Luigs
RG: Burlesworth
RT: Andrews
RB: McFadden
QB: Mallett

Some people are a little shuffled out of position. But that would be my 1st team offense could I have every one yo put where I could get the best 11 on field.

That's not even the best 11. Arkansas played football before 2005.

Bohemond

Quote from: hvsupastar on April 30, 2013, 01:34:17 pm

How did Atwater make this list?

oldhawg

Since you didn't specify a sport, and track and field information is normally reported in MMQB, I'll submit these names:

Pole Vault: Andrew Irwin
Triple Jump: Mike Conley
High Jump: Matt Hemingway
Long Jump: Robert Howard, Erick Walder
Steeplechase: Daniel Lincoln
Sprinters: Tyson Gay, Wallace Spearmon
Hurdles: Calvin Davis, Clyde Scott
Middle Distance Runners (800 m): Brandon Rock
Distance Runners: Alistair Cragg, Joe Falcon, Niall Bruton, Frank O'Mara, Seneca Lassiter, Niall O'Shaughnessy

I am sure there are more equally deserving track & field athletes that I have overlooked.

Hawg Balling

cmpledger

Quote from: caiside on April 30, 2013, 01:54:21 pm

Why wouldn't someone who went to 8 probowls and was named an all american twice make it?

Hawg Balling

Caleb Miller?  Marcus Harrison Seriously?

Jeebus, I'm only 28, but even I know about guys like Ronnie Caveness, Bud Brooks, Loyd Phillips, and Billy Ray Smith Jr, and what they meant/mean to our program.

Inhogswetrust

Leaving out the #4 pick in the draft and current Pro Football Hall of Famer. Unbelievable!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: caiside on April 30, 2013, 01:53:27 pm

No kidding.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Fayettechill14

I'm not really sure if football in the 70s was much better or much worse than it is today. I'm going to go with the theory that today's best could beat the 60s and 70s best teams fairly easily.

Do y'all agree?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 30, 2013, 02:56:20 pm
I'm not really sure if football in the 70s was much better or much worse than it is today. I'm going to go with the theory that today's best could beat the 60s and 70s best teams fairly easily.

Do y'all agree?

Not so sure.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: caiside on April 30, 2013, 01:53:27 pm

maybe not, but i'm definitely agreeing with the tackle selections if we can move Peters - all time.

same trigger man for me too.  All sorts of awesomeness at RB through the years, though.  Might go eckwood for KoD's GOAT Hog Team.

WR - Lucas
WR - Alworth
WR -
TE -
LT - J. Peters
LG -
C - Luigs
RG -
RT - Andrews
RB - Jerry Eckwood or McFadden
QB - the Family Arm

Not sure about the blanks

kingofdequeen

Drunk.

no B.R. Smith, JR.  Caver better LB than most of those (not Petty, but he'd have a hard time now - 4.8 LB's aren't prevalent).

Carlos Hall > both your DE's.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 30, 2013, 03:03:30 pm
Drunk.

no B.R. Smith, JR.  Caver better LB than most of those (not Petty, but he'd have a hard time now - 4.8 LB's aren't prevalent).

Carlos Hall > both your DE's.

Seriously? You must be forgetting how much of a beast Jamaal Anderson actually was.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 30, 2013, 03:05:36 pm
Seriously? You must be forgetting how much of a beast Jamaal Anderson actually was.

you must've forgot that the Titans didn't resign JAVON FREAKIN KEARSE b/c they had Hall.

n5xm

Are you guys asleep?

Dan Hampton
Billy Ray Smith Jr.
Jessie Clark
Gary Anderson
Freddie Childress
Wayne Martin
Ronnie Caviness
Cliff Harris
Fred Talley
Dennis Winston
Joe Ferguson
Bruce Matthews

Bohemond

Quote from: cmpledger on April 30, 2013, 02:08:38 pm
Why wouldn't someone who went to 8 probowls and was named an all american twice make it?

He would make my list...but the other list was 21st century only. I think.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: n5xm on April 30, 2013, 03:20:31 pm
Are you guys asleep?

Dan Hampton
Billy Ray Smith Jr.
Jessie Clark
Gary Anderson
Freddie Childress
Wayne Martin
Ronnie Caviness
Cliff Harris
Fred Talley
Dennis Winston
Joe Ferguson
Bruce Matthews

Thank you.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 30, 2013, 02:56:20 pm

Do y'all agree?

Impossible to compare those eras. Today's players have better nutrition and weight training. 

But does anyone think today's 320-pound O-linemen could survive those two-a-days where water was not provided, and locker rooms that may, or may not, have been air-conditioned?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 30, 2013, 03:18:01 pm

you must've forgot that the Titans didn't resign JAVON FREAKIN KEARSE b/c they had Hall.

In the pros Hall was a good player. In college, though:

Career Starts
Anderson: 20
Hall: 32

Draft Pick
Anderson: 1st round
Hall: 7th round

Career Sacks
Anderson: 17.5
Hall: 3

Tackles for Loss
Anderson: 32
Hall: 13

Both had two forced fumbles. Hall also blocked South Carolina's game-tying FG try to preserve a 10-7 win in the Rock in 2001.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 30, 2013, 03:24:02 pm
Impossible to compare those eras. Today's players have better nutrition and weight training. 

But does anyone think today's 320-pound O-linemen could survive those two-a-days where water was not provided, and locker rooms that may, or may not, have been air-conditioned?

Yeah that's why I'm struggling to compare. Times have changed.

AugustaHog

No offense to anyone else's opinion, but there is no way anyone's name should be listed at RB other than Darren McFadden.  We have had a lot of good ones, but he's probably the 3rd greatest back in the history of the SEC behind only Bo (and it's pretty close) and Herschel.  I love Talley, Felix, etc as much as anyone but DMac was on another level.

PorkSoda

Arkansas All Gangster Team

QB - Mallett
RB - Dmac
WR- Marquel Wade
WR- Joe Adams

DT - Marcus Harrison
DT - Jermaine Brooks
LB - Freddie Fairchild
CB - Lawrence Richardson

help me out here, I  know we had some more
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 30, 2013, 03:31:21 pm
Arkansas All Gangster Team

QB - Mallett
RB - Dmac
WR- Marquel Wade
WR- Joe Adams

DT - Marcus Harrison

help me out here, I  know we had some more

Jermaine Brooks FTW

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawg Balling on April 30, 2013, 03:32:44 pm
Jermaine Brooks FTW

Freddie Fairchild wants some of this action, as well as Lawrence Richardson.

oldhawg

After McFadden, I think I would consider Ben Cowins who had three consecutive 1000+ rushing seasons.

Dominicanhog

Are you guys asleep?

Dan Hampton
Billy Ray Smith Jr.
Jessie Clark
Gary Anderson
Freddie Childress
Wayne Martin
Ronnie Caviness
Cliff Harris
Fred Talley
Dennis Winston
Joe Ferguson
Bruce Matthews

Agreed

Kennoy Kenndy
Leotis Harris
RC Thielman
Barry Foster
Quinn Grovey
Bill Montgomery
Shawn Andrews
Chris Houston
Kenny Hatfield
Joe Adams PR
Tony Cherico

BTW.. Any team that left Freaky GA (Gary Anderson) off it would be lame imo

Hawg Balling

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 30, 2013, 03:33:56 pm
Freddie Fairchild wants some of this action, as well as Lawrence Richardson.

Crap, I forgot about feisty Fred.  Bad man right there.

MJ2

Quote from: cmpledger on April 30, 2013, 01:48:33 pm
My QB would be Matt Jones.

Hands down!   Just look at his career stats.

The Galloping Ghost

Really??? Are you like 22?

Ever heard of some guys named...

1. Dan Hampton?
2. Jimmy Walker?
3. Billy Ray Smith II?
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

Root66

Are you guys asleep?

Dan Hampton
Billy Ray Smith Jr.
Jessie Clark
Gary Anderson
Freddie Childress
Wayne Martin
Ronnie Caviness
Cliff Harris
Fred Talley
Dennis Winston
Joe Ferguson
Bruce Matthews Maxwell

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: MJ2 on April 30, 2013, 03:49:21 pm
Hands down!   Just look at his career stats.

I still believe Joe was the best Razorback QB ever though he won't have to numbers of some. 
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 30, 2013, 03:24:37 pm
Yeah that's why I'm struggling to compare. Times have changed.

Not really hard. If a guy was THE BEST of his era (Loyd Phillips) , he would have been great today, too, what with better nutrition, weight training, arthroscopic surgery.......

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: AugustaHog on April 30, 2013, 03:27:49 pm
No offense to anyone else's opinion, but there is no way anyone's name should be listed at RB other than Darren McFadden.  We have had a lot of good ones, but he's probably the 3rd greatest back in the history of the SEC behind only Bo (and it's pretty close) and Herschel.  I love Talley, Felix, etc as much as anyone but DMac was on another level.
i agree. DMac is in my opinion(based on pure talent, work ethic, and potential)  one of the best RB's to ever play the game.. 2nd best to ever play in the SEC behind the once in a life-time freak athelete BoJack.  Definitely the best in the last 10 or so years of college football. Only competition would be Adrian Peterson at Oklahoma in my opinion.

SPAL

Quote from: caiside on April 30, 2013, 01:54:21 pm

Probably because he is the best to ever play at arkansas

kingofdequeen

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 30, 2013, 04:07:23 pm
Not really hard. If a guy was THE BEST of his era (Loyd Phillips) , he would have been great today, too, what with better nutrition, weight training, arthroscopic surgery.......

don't forget video and electricity.

thirrdegreetusker

It may not be fair, but coaches and QBs get too much credit when the team wins, too much blame when the teams loses. So......

Back when Orange/Cotton/Sugar/Rose were the top bowls, no question, Quinn Grovey was the only Hog QB in the modern era to take UA to two Cotton Bowls. Would have been slightly harder than going to two BCS bowls today.

So the score is Quinn Grovey two, many others tied with one..........

Fayettechill14

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 30, 2013, 04:07:23 pm

I feel like players from the 60s and 70s would either boom or bust today. There were 5'11, 240-pound offensive linemen in the 60s that could never, even with nutrition, get up to 300 pounds and compete in the SEC. Some guys' bodies aren't built to do that.

I believe that the quality of athlete from Army and Navy and Air Force has only dipped a little bit since the 60s and 70s, but those schools are no longer major players in college football.

SPAL

Why is joe Adams a gangster? Because he wore a skull cap under his helmet? I don't recall him ever being in trouble.

PorkSoda

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 30, 2013, 04:23:54 pm
Why is joe Adams a gangster? Because he wore a skull cap under his helmet? I don't recall him ever being in trouble.
cause he talked mad chit all the time.  he did a good job of keeping it on the field though.  I wouldnt call him a thug
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 30, 2013, 04:28:07 pm
cause he talked mad chit all the time.  he did a good job of keeping it on the field though.  I wouldnt call him a thug

The Joe Adams touchdown celebration was the best ever. He would just go into the endzone and set the ball down, as if he was just returning it to where it belongs.

hvsupastar

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on April 30, 2013, 04:03:38 pm
Really??? Are you like 22?

Ever heard of some guys named...

1. Dan Hampton?
2. Jimmy Walker?
3. Billy Ray Smith II?

I'm 24 so I only put guys up that I've seen play. I remember Atwater from the Broncos and just know about Alworth from NFL films. Guess I should have specified that before posting and sending the thread into a tailspin frenzy

texhog22

Quote from: cmpledger on April 30, 2013, 01:48:33 pm
My QB would be Matt Jones.
doesnt scare me. Matt was not a bad QB just look at his stats and he even played for the QB Killa. Only 2 players have ever made the crowd stand on their feet literally every time they touched the ball. Matt Jones and Darren McFadden!!! Matt Jones career highlight reel is second to none but DMAC was the better football player! Its pretty darn hard to believe it but Matt Jones was probably a more gifted athlete than even DMAC. He could have been great!

Root66

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 30, 2013, 04:18:15 pm
I feel like players from the 60s and 70s would either boom or bust today. There were 5'11, 240-pound offensive linemen in the 60s that could never, even with nutrition, get up to 300 pounds and compete in the SEC. Some guys' bodies aren't built to do that.

I believe that the quality of athlete from Army and Navy and Air Force has only dipped a little bit since the 60s and 70s, but those schools are no longer major players in college football.

These were RAZORBACKS...college, not pros. The QBs also threw 125/ 150 passes...not 350 or 400.

Offense

WR  Lance Alworth
WR  Bobby Crockett

OT  Glen Ray Hines
OT  Jason Peters

OG  Steve Korte
OG  Leotis Harris

C    R.C. Thielemann

QB Joe Ferguson

RB  Darren McFadden
RB  Barry Foster

FB  Bruce Maxwell

Defense

DE  Billy Ray Smith JR
DE  Wayne Martin

DT  Dan Hampton
DT  Loyd Phillips

LB  Wayne Harris
LB  Ron Caveness
LB  Dennis Winston

CB  David Barrett
CB  Ken Hatfield

S     Steve Atwater
S     Greg Lasker 

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 30, 2013, 04:18:15 pm

I guess my question is, did we have any "all-time" guys, even in the 60s, who were 5'11'? I know our OLs in the 70s were mostly 6'3"+..... Koch, Skinner, Kolenda, Heim, Harris .....