Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

News on recruiting the all-important SEC defensive linemen

Started by jbcarol, May 08, 2012, 12:06:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Michael_Carvell 28m28 minutes ago

Christian LaCouture announces he will return to LSU for senior season
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

On Christmas Day, Montgomery Jefferson Davis '17 .8522 DT, Alec Jackson gave a verbal to AU.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/819328711501774848

QuoteAfter failing to qualify last year out of high school, Mississippi signed-and-placed the then-four star Gooden at Independence CC.

247Sports currently lists Gooden as a three-star, and the third-best 2018 JUCO prospect in the country. In addition to Mississippi State, Gooden held offers from several other SEC programs coming out of high school, though he's only visited one — Missouri —

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/819943039963697153

R - Robert "Dollar" Beal

Quote4-star Georgia DE commit Robert Beal Jr. and his January visit plans:

Beal has one official visit left to take. That will be to South Carolina. That date has yet to be determined.
    Beal will be on another unofficial visit to Athens this weekend.
    The rumors of Beal and his family specifically taking another unofficial visit to Florida State are not accurate. There is currently no plan for them to return to Tallahassee for another visit to hang out with his former IMG roommate and FSU 5-star early enrollee Joshua Kaindoh.
    They do not plan to take any other unofficial visits at the time except to UGA.
    Gwendolyn Beal described her son's commitment to UGA as strong but said he'd defer the questions about that to her son. That is — and it has always been — his decision.

Beal now rates as the nation's No. 5 weak-side defensive commit for 2017. He's now rated as the nation's No. 81 overall prospect...

Decisions of young men are subject to change

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DCTheState/status/819933187128381441

QuoteBama fell out of favor with defensive lineman Javon Kinlaw on Thursday after three coaches met with him, and he followed up by dropping the Crimson Tide from consideration.

Kinlaw, who is at Jones County Junior College in Mississippi, will make his decision between South Carolina and Southern Cal. The Gamecocks hold a substantial lead at this point.

He said he met with Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt, co-defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi and defensive line coach Karl Dunbar, and it was after that meeting that Kinlaw decided Alabama would not be right for him. He canceled his visit there that was set for next weekend.

"If I was to go to Alabama, why be just another defensive lineman when I can go somewhere else like South Carolina or Southern California and be 'that guy'?" Kinlaw said. "I'm just not interested anymore. I just don't want to be another defensive lineman. I just don't like the way conversations with them are. I lose interest fast in people. The conversations are just plain. I'm not a plain person. My personality is much more."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/824474798084521984

QuoteFour-star defensive end Brad Johnson is down to South Carolina and Virginia Tech. On Wednesday night, coaches from both staffs visited.

Pendleton High Coach Paul Sunderland: "They answered all the questions and by all reports it went really well. Brad has told me he loves both schools and he loves both coaching staffs.

"He wants to make a decision by the end of this week. I've always told my players that before you commit you make sure you are 100 percent. Not 99, 100. That's the definition of commitment."

Johnson is the No. 21-ranked strong-side defensive end in the class of 2017.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/PeteScantlebury/status/825840676961189896

6-foot-4, 260-pound prospect will announce his decision on National Signing Day. If the Gators land Ray, it would be a recruiting upset for UF coach Jim McElwain and defensive line coach Chris Rumph.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/826202226033045507

Quote[Fayetteville defensive lineman Akial Byers is signing with Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, per a release from his high school to local media outlets in Arkansas and confirmed by a source close to Byers.

He had been committed to Alabama since last summer, but is not yet academically qualified. The four-star recruit took his official visit to Alabama in mid-January and hosted Alabama head coach Nick Saban for a visit the next day.

Publicly, Byers said that he needed to raise his ACT score.

One source said that if Byers qualifies by May, there's a chance he could be in Tuscaloosa next January./quote]

https://twitter.com/5NEWSBobby/status/826126449077841920

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on January 30, 2017, 01:14:15 pm
https://twitter.com/samspiegs/status/826119153065017344

Andrew Bone ‏@AndrewJBone 1h1 hour ago

.@phildarianmathi informed me that he knew for a long time he wanted to go to #Alabama.  Did not inform the coaches until today. @TideSports

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/832258849461694464

QuoteBulldogs would love to plug that "Big Baby" along their defensive front for new line coach Tray Scott.

Jefferies measured a half-inch shy of the 6-foot-4 mark and weighed in at 275 pounds.

That's also when he picked up an offer from the home state Bulldogs.

"Big Baby" aims to wear the No. 90 on Saturdays and would wear that jersey at Georgia.

"It is based on my company, too," Jefferies said. "That's 'BigBaby90.com' for me too."

"I am introducing a line of sports apparel in a couple of months," Jefferies said. "The 'Big Baby' is my nickname. The team gave it to me when I played the varsity in the ninth grade.

"Because I want to cater to the big man," Jefferies said.

"My girlfriend's mother is involved in clothing and manufacturing," he said. "She goes to China and knows those manufacturing companies, too."

How's the weather up there Big Baby?

A: Fair. Just like our prices.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/835959301781008384

QuoteFour-star defensive end Stephon Wynn Jr. was one of several prospects from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., to attend the Under Armour Camp on Sunday in Orlando.

The No. 5-ranked strong-side defensive end in the Class of 2018: "Currently, I'm still getting offers, but time is winding down. I'll make the decision sometime before summer is over with, but I still want to take my official visits.

"If I can't take my official visits after I make my decision, then I'll take my official visits, then make my decision.

"Clemson, Georgia, South Carolina, LSU, Ohio State, Alabama, Tennessee, those are just some of the schools that are some of my top considerations..."

Clemson is wildly believed to be the leader in his clubhouse

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/839488547388342273

QuoteJarell Cherry was taken back when he landed an offer from LSU on Jan. 17.

He has been shocked even more so to learn which Tigers staff member has been recruiting him since.

LSU head man Ed Orgeron extended the offer to Cherry, a 4-star edge-rusher from Carter (Texas) High School. It was grounding enough to learn he had added an offer from the Tigers, but to be in touch with Coach O so quickly left a lasting impression on the priority defensive target.

"It kind of popped on me," Cherry told SEC Country at Nike's "The Opening" regional in Dallas over the weekend.

"Of course, LSU has a very tough defense, so to get noticed by them and to have an offer from them — it's a complete blessing. To get it from Coach Orgeron — it was amazing. It's amazing to know he is leading my recruitment, so it's really great."

The 6-foot-3, 229-pounder is being courted as a 3-4 outside linebacker, much like the role Arden Key has thrived in.

Cherry plays defensive end — for now —

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/847420770753982465

QuoteDuring Nike's The Opening Atlanta regional camp last weekend, Cox told AL.com that Georgia and Ohio State are recruiting him harder than any other school.

"I'm just trying to play early," said the 6-foot-4, 247-pounder from Stockbridge, Ga.

Cox said Alabama, Auburn and South Carolina are in the mix.

"I'd be in a 3-4 defense," he said.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/847658888568512516

QuoteBama had success flipping Florida State commitments in last year's class, signing linebacker VanDarius Cowan and safety Daniel Wright.

It won't be as easy for Snellville, Ga., four-star defensive tackle Robert Cooper.

But Alabama won't stop trying. The 6-foot-2, 369-pound Cooper rated Alabama's pursuit "a good nine" out of 10.

"Real hard, I'm not going to lie," Cooper said last Sunday at the Atlanta Opening Regional in Buford, Ga. "Real hard. There's probably a slim chance of somebody flipping me."

Cooper, the nation's No. 78 overall recruit and No. 8 defensive tackle, recently visited Alabama for a Junior Day and could come back for an official visit.

"(They talk to me about) being that guy after Da'Ron (Payne) leaves," Cooper said. "They feel like I'm another Da'Ron strength-wise. They feel like I can have the same impact as him on the defensive line."

Cooper committed to Florida State last summer. He has at least 33 offers.

"It's a great program," Cooper said. "They have a tradition of being great. Ain't nothing bad to say about them, but I'm a 'Nole."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/847808923608416256

Quote6-foot-2, 330-pound mammoth defensive tackle from Theodore (Ala.) High School is as easy to talk to about his upcoming college decision and he is about talking Cajun cuisine.

By the way, he's a huge fan of crawfish etouffee and just recently stumbled upon bread pudding.

Porter was supposed to announce his commitment between LSU and Auburn this time a week ago, but instead decided to hold off. That's not to say he was no longer intrigued by the opportunity to be a Tiger — either in Baton Rouge or at Auburn —

Porter had a change in heart after visiting LSU for national junior day last weekend for the second time in as many years. Sure, the food exceeded expectations. So did the time with the coaching staff and the opportunity to watch the Tigers compete in a spring scrimmage. But upon closer inspection, he saw how passionate LSU's current players felt about their decision to don the purple and gold and be a part of — as Ed Orgeron so frequently says —