Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA is sitting a dangerous president with decision

Started by jbcarol, December 03, 2010, 01:10:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

gfricke

I can't help it:

They're also setting a dangerous precedent.....

Sorry jb,

ledhead830

I know Obama has said some things about the BCS but I don't think the NCAA needs to be too concerned about the sitting president.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

GreenwayTigerHog

Quote from: ledhead830 on December 03, 2010, 02:05:37 pm
I know Obama has said some things about the BCS but I don't think the NCAA needs to be too concerned about the sitting president.

lmao

TrueBlue

I don't know about Obama being a dangerous president, but I know that we had a dangerous Vice President in Dick Cheney. The Dick Cheney hunting incident occurred on February 11, 2006, when then U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney shot Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old Texas attorney, while participating in a quail hunt on a ranch in Kenedy County, Texas.

I think Harry Whittington was previously employed by the NCAA. (?) Or maybe not... ;)

jbcarol

I talked to Cheney once when he had dialed a wrong number.

He was looking for a hunting partner.

Hog-Corleone

the world has too many lawyers anyway, Cheney new this, and was trying to do all he could to reduce the head count.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Hog-C on December 03, 2010, 02:24:25 pm
the world has too many lawyers anyway, Cheney new this, and was trying to do all he could to reduce the head count.

Was Slive ever a lawyer? Hmmmmmmm..... Got Cheney's #?

jbcarol

PonderinHog

superior_wang

Quote from: TrueBlue on December 03, 2010, 02:19:14 pm
I don't know about Obama being a dangerous president, but I know that we had a dangerous Vice President in Dick Cheney. The Dick Cheney hunting incident occurred on February 11, 2006, when then U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney shot Harry Whittington, a 78-year-old Texas attorney, while participating in a quail hunt on a ranch in Kenedy County, Texas.

I think Harry Whittington was previously employed by the NCAA. (?) Or maybe not... ;)

while I fully support shooting attorneys AND Texans , I cant support Dick Cheney.

HSVhogfan

Emmert is a Mooslim!! And he aint no Amurican. He was borned in Hawaii

Arkansasno1

"Be content and resigned to God's will."
~Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Rzbakfromwaybak

December 06, 2010, 05:57:41 pm #14 Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:00:06 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: Hog-C on December 03, 2010, 02:24:25 pm

Story I heard, it was an accident.  Cheney thought it was Harry Reid.......
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jbcarol

Quote"As long as I'm president of the NCAA, we will not pay students to play sports."

Emmert

jbcarol

Quote"The burden of proof we have to rely on is greater than that of a blogger or anyone else that has an 'opinion'."

Emmert on Cam Newton

SteveInArk

Quote from: jbcarol on December 08, 2010, 12:50:27 pm
"As long as I'm president of the NCAA, we will not pay students to play sports." 
Emmert

Of course not.  As long as they let alumni do the paying, why would they force all that extra expense on the institutions?  ;)
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Hog fan

I haven't heard but how long is the NCAA going to sit Obama?  Will he still get paid during this time?

SteveInArk

Quote from: Solomwi on December 08, 2010, 03:10:19 pm
He was clearly talking to hogville.net posters with that comment.

Of course ...  everyone knows where to hear the truth on such matters.  ;D
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

jbcarol

Next Friday, Emmert will give his first State o' the Association address at the NCAA Convention.

lookinupthehill

Quote from: jbcarol on January 07, 2011, 04:00:16 pm
Next Friday, Emmert will give his first State o' the Association address at the NCAA Convention.

Meanwhile, his fingers will be crossed behind the podium the whole time...

Steef

A prescient NCAA became deciduous after sifting daggers.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Exactly who hires & fires these guys (NCAA)?  (Its suppose to be a group of University Presidents, I believe)

Whatever body, group, or board that gives them authority needs to start taking some action..... & fast.  College sports is losing its credibility, & rules are being violated with little or no penalty. Penalties are not enforced equally.  Schools that are obeying the rules, are being put to a disadvantage.  Major change is needed quickly, or their will be "no rules".

mehawg

Dangerous president? GW Bush, don't think the NCAA was the problem.

jbcarol

QuoteNew NCAA prez Mark Emmert gives his 1st State of the NCAA talk tomorrow. The REAL state of the NCAA will not be a topic.

Darren Rovell, CNBC Sports

jbcarol

Emmert on Thursday called for new rules so parents no longer "sell the athletic services" of their children

Quote"It's wrong for parents to sell the athletic services of their student athletes to a university, and we need to make sure that we have rules to stop that problem," Emmert said. "And today we don't. We have to fix that. Student athletes trading on their standing as star student athletes for money or benefits is not acceptable, and we need to address it and make sure it doesn't happen."

Emmert didn't suggest what new rules might look like, but he said the measures must be clear so that the public understands what's a violation and what isn't.

Emmert, who took over from interim president Jim Isch in October, led his first convention with the NCAA besieged by criticism for its handling of several college football scandals this season.

In the Newton case, the NCAA ruled the junior college transfer could continue playing for the eventual BCS national champions, even though his father had been seeking money from Mississippi State, which also recruited him.

That was followed by the NCAA suspending five Ohio State players for five games next season for selling memorabilia items, but still allowing them to play in the Sugar Bowl.

Critics assailed the NCAA for being selective with enforcement and the severity of punishments handed down.

So intense was the scrutiny that the NCAA took the unusual step last month of defending its rulings on its website, saying it does not play favorites or make decisions based on financial considerations.

"If you look at the Newton case, a lot of people came away from that, because it's a complicated case, saying, 'Gosh, it's OK for a father to solicit money for the services for his son or daughter?'" Emmert said. "The answer to that is, 'No, it isn't.' But we don't have a rule that makes that clear."

Emmert said discussions relating to future Newton-type cases is one of about five enforcement issues the NCAA could vote on by April during its board of directors meeting in Indianapolis.

Seizing on the Ohio State incident -- while not specifically mentioning it -- Emmert said the NCAA needs to review and make public who gets to play in bowl games when violations occur. He also said the NCAA will take another look at the relationships between players and agents.

"Student athletes are students. They're not professionals, and we're not going to pay them," Emmert said. "And we're not going to allow other people to pay them to play."

jbcarol

NCAA chose to beef up security for protection of El Presidente

QuoteKentucky followers have been particularly outspoken, flooding Emmert's Facebook page with so much vitriol that the NCAA was compelled to block posts by outsiders. Without specifying the source or subject, [VP of Communications] Williams says he got an e-mail a couple of weeks ago warning, "You'd better check your car."

jbcarol

USC makes their NCAA appeal this weekend.

"Bush didn't know" expected to be played.

jbcarol

QuoteSad that any school would even have to ask for a waiver to donate a kidney. Not exactly setting precedent by donating an organ.

Dodd

jbcarol

QuoteAll student-athletes are, by definition, pre-pro's. Some will be pro nurses, accountants and teachers.

I loathe the idea of paying student-athletes. It will not happen under my watch.

Emmert

I think he said "loathe". It might have been "love".

Most Hated

Here's the thing I don't really understand about the whole deal with Emmert in relation to the Newton case. He's supposedly really good friends with Nick Saban, and was the guy who hired him at LSU.

If there was one ounce of evidence that Newton should have been ineligible or that there was something fishy going on at Auburn, who is the one guy who stands the most to gain from them being hammered, or at least having Newton declared ineligible? Nick Saban.

Then why is Emmert taking such a defensive posture in the media about the case? It doesn't make any sense to me.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

Rather than say, that's the way it is like the NCAA used to do, Emmert took time to explain the Kanter decision in detail.

Now Kanter's family received $33,000.33 from a Turkish pro team.  There are a lot of other factors but the bottom line is the NCAA claimed he was not an amateur and $30,000 plus documented is compelling evidence. UK was apparently hoping the NCAA would set a dangerous precedent for European teen club players and was hoping to ride the Cam loophole on appeal.

The NCAA could have rested on "he's not an amateur." In additon, Emmert pointed out that no one else was recruiting the guy making it obvious they knew he would not be eligible. That's a nice factoid, but does the President of the NCAA need to state that? Especially given the following.

Enes Kanter had given a verbal commitment to Washington. The President of the University of Washington at the time was Dr. Mark Emmert.

I fear that when the NCAA chose to sit Dr. Emmert they were sitting a dangerous president.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rzbakfromwaybak

February 15, 2011, 10:50:02 pm #36 Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:52:52 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: Most Hated on February 15, 2011, 10:41:15 am
Here's the thing I don't really understand about the whole deal with Emmert in relation to the Newton case. He's supposedly really good friends with Nick Saban, and was the guy who hired him at LSU.

If there was one ounce of evidence that Newton should have been ineligible or that there was something fishy going on at Auburn, who is the one guy who stands the most to gain from them being hammered, or at least having Newton declared ineligible? Nick Saban.

Then why is Emmert taking such a defensive posture in the media about the case? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Are You Kidding? Not sure where you have been. This has been mentioned many times.

Plenty more than "One Ounce of Evidence"....Cecil Newton admitted that he had asked for money for Cam's signature.  That should have been more than enough for any creditable committee to render him ineligible immediately.  That is why all the stink about this, & not just here......all over the country.

Cam claiming he ..."Didn't know anything about it"..... is ridiculous & everybody except Auburn fans & the NCAA know it.

Most Hated

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on February 15, 2011, 10:50:02 pm
Are You Kidding? Not sure where you have been. This has been mentioned many times.

Plenty more than "One Ounce of Evidence"....Cecil Newton admitted that he had asked for money for Cam's signature.  That should have been more than enough for any creditable committee to render him ineligible immediately.  That is why all the stink about this, & not just here......all over the country.

Cam claiming he ..."Didn't know anything about it"..... is ridiculous & everybody except Auburn fans & the NCAA know it.

Well excuse me for not reading every single existing thread when I joined the site 2 days ago. But thanks anyway for the recap.

UncleFrank

QuoteNCAA is sitting a dangerous president with decision

Could a mod please edit the title of this thread, so that it at least appears to have been written with  a basic grasp of Junior High English in mind?  Or, was it purposefully written this way?

As hilarious as it currently is (read literally, rather than the way it was obviously intended), it's also extremely annoying and embarrassing.
I would have thought, after all this time, that there wouldn't still be people dredging it back up again. Apparently, though, that's too much to ask. So, a little 'title revision' would not be a bad thing, I think.

We are 'sitting a dangerous president' in Washington right now, but I don't think the NCAA had anything to do with that mistake  ;D

jbcarol

QuoteWe used to predominantly not make comments on cases. We've started providing a lot more information and in some respects, we've provided lots of people ammunition to thump us with. We have to provide more information or we have to go back the other way and say, 'Look, we can't comment on this.'

Right now, we're kind of stuck in the middle here, and we need to provide you all with a lot more information and be as forthright as we can about it. We're working on it. It's going to take us a while.

NCAA's Dangerous New President Mark Emmert

jbcarol

"We're about to set [precedent]," said Gary Johnson, the NCAA's associate director of statistics. "I've been here 26 years, this is all new territory."

QuoteThe NCAA statistics department met Monday trying to answer a unique question generated by this new age of suspensions. Who gets credit in the records book for the won-loss record while a head coach suspended by the NCAA sits out?

It could be Tressel. It could be Fickell, his highly regarded co-defensive coordinator, thought to be a top candidate to replace his boss. No one knows for sure because the NCAA only recently has shown an interest in suspending coaches in the major sports.

The NCAA has yet to weigh in on Tressel's apparent violation of the association commandment dealing with unethical conduct. It can't be positive news that brother-in-bylaw Bruce Pearl was fired on Monday.

jbcarol

QuoteWhy does the NCAA bother to respond to every crackpot idea like Ralph Nader's? With $11 Billion, NCAA should buy some thicker skin. Lame.

http://twitter.com/JayBilas

jbcarol

QuoteSafe to say that no recent NCAA prez has been as belligerent & arrogant as Mark Emmert was in that interview.

http://twitter.com/darrenrovell , CNBC

OTTER

All of this crap with the NCAA is going to lead to Congressional hearings and I will guarantee you that once that happens there will be a push for the Federal Government to become involved in college athletics to an extent that none of us want.  The NCAA is on very thin ice right now and it must clean house, revamp its compliance rule book from cover to cover and enforce its darn rules to the letter.  The amounts of money involved here is tremendous, and that in itself catches the eyes of Congress and adds to the problem of policing.  This is a very dangerous situation for college athletics.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

jbcarol

"If the NCAA wants to improve its image, it starts with Emmert -- immediately. The PBS interview was bad business"

CBS

jbcarol

Some thought it was a typo, others a double entendre...

hog golf

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Craig O Squeal