Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In defense of Nutt.

Started by geoffhog, September 23, 2005, 08:03:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffhog

Let me start by saying that I'm a Houston Nutt fan. Right now that's kinda like walking through New Orleans bragging on FEMA, but it seems like the haters are the only ones being heard right now, so I decided to speak up. First of all, I know everyone is tired of hearing about how the investigation hurt recruiting. Sorry, but that doesn't make it less true. I'm tired of hearing about hurricane's, but Rita's not going to go away for my sake. We have no upperclassman to speak of and that is the reason why, whether anyone likes it or not. HDN said before the start of last season that we were facing two lean years and now that its happening everyone seems shocked...well guys, you were warned. The last two classes are both looking good and the next one already has the top QB in the nation committed. Nutt has proven he can recruit when he's on equal footing and that's a fact. The discipline problem has been solved and we're running a clean program. I'll be the first to admit I'm an optimistic guy, but i firmly believe that Nutt will lead us out of this. Some of you people need to think a little before you run your mouths and call names. I'm sure your gonna want back on the bandwagon at some point. There's nothing wrong with some honest criticism, but a lot of you are making fools out of yourselves with crap your spewing. Its awful easy to pile on when your not happy, but all your doing is hurting the program when you throw out insults and pitch fits. Once again...I'm not talking about the folks who are voicing honest concerns, that's fair. Its the ones who have nothing to say except calling names and questioning the coaches intelligence. Houston has forgotten more about football than you guys have ever known.  I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority, maybe not. I happen to believe most fans are like me, just not motivated to speak up with the way things have gone lately. Either way, I'm standing behind the man I believe to be best suited for the job and supporting the team I love.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: geoffhog on September 23, 2005, 08:03:19 pm
Let me start by saying that I'm a Houston Nutt fan. Right now that's kinda like walking through New Orleans bragging on FEMA, but it seems like the haters are the only ones being heard right now, so I decided to speak up. First of all, I know everyone is tired of hearing about how the investigation hurt recruiting. Sorry, but that doesn't make it less true. I'm tired of hearing about hurricane's, but Rita's not going to go away for my sake. We have no upperclassman to speak of and that is the reason why, whether anyone likes it or not. HDN said before the start of last season that we were facing two lean years and now that its happening everyone seems shocked...well guys, you were warned. The last two classes are both looking good and the next one already has the top QB in the nation committed. Nutt has proven he can recruit when he's on equal footing and that's a fact. The discipline problem has been solved and we're running a clean program. I'll be the first to admit I'm an optimistic guy, but i firmly believe that Nutt will lead us out of this. Some of you people need to think a little before you run your mouths and call names. I'm sure your gonna want back on the bandwagon at some point. There's nothing wrong with some honest criticism, but a lot of you are making fools out of yourselves with crap your spewing. Its awful easy to pile on when your not happy, but all your doing is hurting the program when you throw out insults and pitch fits. Once again...I'm not talking about the folks who are voicing honest concerns, that's fair. Its the ones who have nothing to say except calling names and questioning the coaches intelligence. Houston has forgotten more about football than you guys have ever known. I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority, maybe not. I happen to believe most fans are like me, just not motivated to speak up with the way things have gone lately. Either way, I'm standing behind the man I believe to be best suited for the job and supporting the team I love.

I appreciate your post, although you are wrong on all points. Let me ask you this. if our recruiting is so bad why is it that every year Nutt runs his little videos out on Feb 15 and tells us this is one of the best classes he has ever had?  We then get to hear Chuck, Bo, Clay, Otis, Dudley brag about how good these guys are and they should be ranked higher as a class instead of 8th in the conference.  8th in the conference has been where every class Nutt has had since he arrived has been ranked.  Then when things go south, and with Nutt they always do, they start with this "Investiagion" Bull Shitte.  I don't buy it, in fact I find it offensive and insulting to my intelligence for someone to try and tell me that something that happened eight fricking years ago is causing us to get our butts kicked by 53 points. 

If Nutt has a problem with schollies why is it that we only have 15 to give this year?  Why does he give schollies to midgets? Why does he turn down in state kids that schools like Notre Dame and Tennessee want?  If you are fool enough to buy into the "Investigation" crap then I wish you luck.

Since 1894

Let me start by saying that I'm a Houston Nutt fan. Right now that's kinda like walking through New Orleans bragging on FEMA, but it seems like the haters are the only ones being heard right now, so I decided to speak up. First of all, I know everyone is tired of hearing about how the investigation hurt recruiting. Sorry, but that doesn't make it less true. I'm tired of hearing about hurricane's, but Rita's not going to go away for my sake. We have no upperclassman to speak of and that is the reason why, whether anyone likes it or not. HDN said before the start of last season that we were facing two lean years and now that its happening everyone seems shocked...well guys, you were warned. The last two classes are both looking good and the next one already has the top QB in the nation committed. Nutt has proven he can recruit when he's on equal footing and that's a fact. The discipline problem has been solved and we're running a clean program. I'll be the first to admit I'm an optimistic guy, but i firmly believe that Nutt will lead us out of this. Some of you people need to think a little before you run your mouths and call names. I'm sure your gonna want back on the bandwagon at some point. There's nothing wrong with some honest criticism, but a lot of you are making fools out of yourselves with crap your spewing. Its awful easy to pile on when your not happy, but all your doing is hurting the program when you throw out insults and pitch fits. Once again...I'm not talking about the folks who are voicing honest concerns, that's fair. Its the ones who have nothing to say except calling names and questioning the coaches intelligence. Houston has forgotten more about football than you guys have ever known. I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority, maybe not. I happen to believe most fans are like me, just not motivated to speak up with the way things have gone lately. Either way, I'm standing behind the man I believe to be best suited for the job and supporting the team I love.

Welcome to Hogville and good first post.  Keep the posting up!
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

007 License To Squeal

When is the last time the Razorbacks finished the season in the top 10? Top 20? Top 25? Are you really satisfied with a coach who has done no better than around .500 in over 8 years? How many road games has Nutt won in the SEC?

Are you satisifed with Arkansas as a third tier team?

I, for one, am NOT! I love the program, not the man.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

geoffhog

Thw investigation ended two years ago and if you don't think it affected recruiting ask Alabama how the did after theirs. There getting back to normal after three years. Also, the 2002 class was the one when we lost all those  guys on the last day< two of which were D lineman and one was a linebacker...where are we hurting right now? D line and linbacker...think about it.

geoffhog

Maybe my calculators broke, but i don't get .500 out of 53-34.

hog_fan

He meant 500 in the SEC where it counts.29-28 I think.

hogbalz

Quote from: geoffhog on September 23, 2005, 08:19:36 pm
Maybe my calculators broke, but i don't get .500 out of 53-34.

You are obviously like Nutt with the 53-34 record junk. Look at our SEC record then compare the last 8 years with Tennessee's last 8 years. The comparison is simple we are average. Fat Phil is the only other coach in the SEC that has been with his team as long as Nutt.
In doing your work in the great world, it is a safe plan to follow a rule I once heard on the football field: Don't flinch, don't fall; hit the line hard.
--Theodore Roosevelt

If you don't make a total commitment to whatever you're doing, then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking. It's tough enough getting that boat to shore with everybody rowing, let alone when a guy stands up and starts putting his jacket on.
--Lou Holtz

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: hog_fan on September 23, 2005, 08:27:50 pm

Exactly!! Thanks,

geoffhog

I never said losing is acceptable. However, reasonable people can look at the cause of a problem and place blame where it belongs and I believe the blame lies in areas that were largely beyond Nutt's control. As i said earlier, Houston stood up in front of the camera's a year and a half ago and told us this was coming. Why didn't you guy's just call for his job then and save us all this trouble? Because you didn't believe it was going to happen and now that it has you want to act like its all news to you that recruiting suffered. Well, thas crap doesn't fly with me.

pioneerhog

Let me guess you think Nutt loves the helmet too.

BuschHawg

The problem lies in the title: "In defense of Nutt"

More aptly titled: "He's a Nutt that has no defense"

At what point can fans realistically expect a 9-3 or better season? One, two, three years? At what point can we say that HDN has had a reasonable amount of time without dealing with the NCAA or other excuses? What is a reasonable time?

Lets assume the NCAA probation actually affected recruiting. Lets assume we are in a rebuilding year. Lets assume our players are not the caliber we think we'd recruit under ideal conditions. Even with those problems, is a loss to Vandy followed by a 53 point something we should expect. Is it something we should shrug our shoulders and say "oh well, we sure dominated time of possession". I don't think so. Even with a less than ideal roster, I don't think there is a valid reason for embarrassments of that magnitude.

With that said, I'll give you credit. I admire your faithfullness to the program. While we disagree, we all share a common ground in our hope that the program will prosper at some point, however the chips may end up falling.

BuschHawg

hog_fan

I think a good number of people here wanted him to get on that plane. Bama had no bowl games for two years and there getting back to being good. It was around the same time and all we had was couple scholarships gone.Excuse after Excuse. Nutt signed off on everyone single one of are defensive guys that either suck or we have a sucky assistants that can't teacher them. Hawaii played USC better than us.

pioneerhog

Didn't Bama actually win the Western division a few years back when we tied for it, but because of their probation they couldn't win it. They won more games than the rest of us but because of the probation couldn't accept the title.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: hog_fan on September 23, 2005, 08:27:50 pm

Soon to be 29-29 and it will be below .500 by the end of the season.

tophawg19

even Rick Shaffer [sp] admitted that the 2 scholarships lost each year would have been on the low end of recruiting . you still gave the main ones scholarships so that is just an excuse .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

geoffhog

BuschHawg...If we are on here in '07 after 3 games and things haven't improved, I'll be with you in calling for changes. Having said that, I believe that at this point in '07 we'll be talking about a potential BCS team in the making.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: geoffhog on September 23, 2005, 08:52:58 pm
BuschHawg...If we are on here in '07 after 3 games and things haven't improved, I'll be with you in calling for changes. Having said that, I believe that at this point in '07 we'll be talking about a potential BCS team in the making.

Guy exactly when was this supposed "Investigation" suppose to have allegedly affected our recruiting?

007 License To Squeal

So is Houston going to improve his play calling between now and then>  Are we going to hire a ne DC?  Are we going to get some DBs who can actuall get within 5 yards of the receiver?

geoffhog

We can agree to disagree. My hope is that at 11:30 tommorrow morning we can all put this aside for a few hours and pull for a Hog victory...I'm afraid some of you can't or won't.

pioneerhog

Hell we have been talking about a BCS team in the makeing for 8 years now, How long is it gonna take? I wish people would quit useing the probation as an excuse, we lost what 2 schollies, yeah big difference, we just lost two one star players, no biggie.

hogbalz

We have another "wait til next year" .
In doing your work in the great world, it is a safe plan to follow a rule I once heard on the football field: Don't flinch, don't fall; hit the line hard.
--Theodore Roosevelt

If you don't make a total commitment to whatever you're doing, then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking. It's tough enough getting that boat to shore with everybody rowing, let alone when a guy stands up and starts putting his jacket on.
--Lou Holtz

geoffhog

A new DC? Does the one we just hired not get more than 3 games to install his system? This is a great example of how screwed up the thinking of some fans has gotten...my God, take a walk or someting and settle down. Get a little air or something.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: geoffhog on September 23, 2005, 09:00:31 pm
A new DC? Does the one we just hired not get more than 3 games to install his system? This is a great example of how screwed up the thinking of some fans has gotten...my God, take a walk or someting and settle down. Get a little air or something.
Herring is the one who has boasted so much.

geoffhog

Would someone please actually read what the posts say. It isn't the 2 scholarships that did the damage...it was recruiting under the cloud of possible serious penalties...is it that hard to figure out?

geoffhog

Herring said from day one they had a long way to go...sorry License, but your just plain wrong about Herring boasting.

hogbalz

Geoffhog if you were in charge we would have a 68-0 moral victories record. I'm sure you believe in moral victories? :-\
--Theodore Roosevelt

--Lou Holtz

geoffhog

Guys, can we have an intelligent discussion here?

pioneerhog

When did Bama actually start there probation and when was it over and the same for ARK.

hogbalz

Quote from: geoffhog on September 23, 2005, 09:11:13 pm

Look I think Nutt is a good person. I would even say he is a great motivator, but he is not by any means an SEC caliber coach. I respect your opinion but a lot of us on here are tired of hearing excuses. Not only from Nutt but his supporters.
--Theodore Roosevelt

--Lou Holtz

Since 1894

Good luck, as you have learned tonight, emotions often supersedes intelligence.  Just don't get discouraged and keep posting.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

geoffhog

Thanks 1894...I'll stay in touch.

hogbalz

Quote from: Since 1894 on September 23, 2005, 09:15:19 pm

Good luck, as you have learned tonight, emotions often supersedes intelligence. Just don't get discouraged and keep posting.

I agree bad time to be posting some Nutt defense posts. Other than that I looooooovvvvveeee them HOGS! ;D
--Theodore Roosevelt

--Lou Holtz

geoffhog

Alabama was a couple years ahead of us...and they're just now getting their footing back. Thats what investigations do most of the time.

HogInMemphis

Let me start by saying that I'm a Houston Nutt fan. Right now that's kinda like walking through New Orleans bragging on FEMA, but it seems like the haters are the only ones being heard right now, so I decided to speak up. First of all, I know everyone is tired of hearing about how the investigation hurt recruiting. Sorry, but that doesn't make it less true. I'm tired of hearing about hurricane's, but Rita's not going to go away for my sake. We have no upperclassman to speak of and that is the reason why, whether anyone likes it or not. HDN said before the start of last season that we were facing two lean years and now that its happening everyone seems shocked...well guys, you were warned. The last two classes are both looking good and the next one already has the top QB in the nation committed. Nutt has proven he can recruit when he's on equal footing and that's a fact. The discipline problem has been solved and we're running a clean program. I'll be the first to admit I'm an optimistic guy, but i firmly believe that Nutt will lead us out of this. Some of you people need to think a little before you run your mouths and call names. I'm sure your gonna want back on the bandwagon at some point. There's nothing wrong with some honest criticism, but a lot of you are making fools out of yourselves with crap your spewing. Its awful easy to pile on when your not happy, but all your doing is hurting the program when you throw out insults and pitch fits. Once again...I'm not talking about the folks who are voicing honest concerns, that's fair. Its the ones who have nothing to say except calling names and questioning the coaches intelligence. Houston has forgotten more about football than you guys have ever known.  I don't know, maybe I'm in the minority, maybe not. I happen to believe most fans are like me, just not motivated to speak up with the way things have gone lately. Either way, I'm standing behind the man I believe to be best suited for the job and supporting the team I love.

son, there is no justifiable defense of Nutt. At the least, he's committed involuntary manslaughter and at the most, he's guilty of 2nd degree murder. He needs to serve his time.

BuschHawg

Forgive me for saying it, but I just had to....the first thing that came to my mind was "jockstrap" when a previous post said "Nutt" and "supporters" in the same sentence. ;D

BuschHawg

pioneerhog

Quote from: geoffhog on September 23, 2005, 09:20:28 pm
Alabama was a couple years ahead of us...and they're just now getting their footing back. Thats what investigations do most of the time.
I was looking for the actual years.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: pioneerhog on September 23, 2005, 09:30:39 pm
Quote from: geoffhog on September 23, 2005, 09:20:28 pm
I was looking for the actual years.

You ever notice that these guys who use the "Investigation" excuse never actually name what years?  They do that so they can keep on using the excuse.  Fact is those who believe in that theory are not enough of a fan to even know when the damn investigation started or when it ended.

Razorbrett

Geoffhog, I've been coming here for a long time and giving the same arguments in Nutt's defense that you are giving.  Finally, I realized that you just can't argue with stone cold hatred and that's what a lot of these folks have for Nutt.  Now just like anybody else, I've been watching games and letting my emotions get the best of me for many years (long before Nutt).  For the first time last Saturday, I really started to question my own opinion.  That's why I havn't been posting as much as normal lately.  I'll never agree with the hatred some of these people have for Nutt, and I'll never quit supporting the program I love.  But right now, I just don't have an answer.  We'll see how the guys react tomorrow morning, I said before the year ever started that this game would be the most important of the year.  I still believe that and I'll quitely sit in my recliner and hope to see the season turn around starting then.

JD Hogg

Nutt has proven he can recruit when he's on equal footing and that's a fact.

Perhaps you should research a topic a bit before you start making claims that can't be proven.  You state hdn can recruit when on equal footing.  You also imply in other posts that the cloud of the NCAA investigation hurt recruiting.  Well, one way that many people use to judge a recruiting class initially is the national rankings that many internet services provide.  One such is scout.com.   What would you guess would be the rankings the Razorbacks received the past four years.  I'm sure the nuttsuckers think it goes something like in 2002 we were ranked 35-40 because of the NCAA "cloud" and that last year we were probably ranked 23rd or something like that because the cloud was lifted and nutt could work his magic.  Well, here are the facts, where Arkansas was ranked nationally with it's recruiting classes from 2002 to 2005 according to scout.com:

2002- #24
2003- #23
2004- #27
2005- #32

Please explain to me how the NCAA "cloud" inversely affected recruiting.  How do we have top 25 classes in 02 and 03 before we knew what the NCAA was going to do but then afterwards fall out of the top 25. 

Here are the facts, the ncaa thing is just an excuse like everything else that comes out of his mouth.  The facts state that hdn can't recruit as good without a "cloud" as he can with one.  So, please, as a new poster here, check things out before you post, especially if you say that something is fact.  Voice your opinion all day, but don't state something as fact if you don't know it to be accurate. 

You also mention that many fans are mad now and getting on to the coach is just something that's popular to do.  Well, nutt lost me after the debacle known as the 2003 season.  Everything was in place and HE ruined it by playing not to lose rather than playing to win against auburn and florida.  Before the auburn game I was a huge nutt fan, after the florida game I knew we had to get someone else otherwise we would be a perennial 6-5 team.

Take my advice, put down the jug of kool-aid you're drinking.

geoffhog

Sorry, I don't know the exact years, but one other thing to keep in mind. Bama's investigation was wrapped up in about 15 months and affected 2 classes. Ours was approx. twice as long.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: JD Hogg on September 23, 2005, 09:35:42 pm
Nutt has proven he can recruit when he's on equal footing and that's a fact.

Perhaps you should research a topic a bit before you start making claims that can't be proven. You state hdn can recruit when on equal footing. You also imply in other posts that the cloud of the NCAA investigation hurt recruiting. Well, one way that many people use to judge a recruiting class initially is the national rankings that many internet services provide. One such is scout.com. What would you guess would be the rankings the Razorbacks received the past four years. I'm sure the nuttsuckers think it goes something like in 2002 we were ranked 35-40 because of the NCAA "cloud" and that last year we were probably ranked 23rd or something like that because the cloud was lifted and nutt could work his magic. Well, here are the facts, where Arkansas was ranked nationally with it's recruiting classes from 2002 to 2005 according to scout.com:

2002- #24
2003- #23
2004- #27
2005- #32

Please explain to me how the NCAA "cloud" inversely affected recruiting. How do we have top 25 classes in 02 and 03 before we knew what the NCAA was going to do but then afterwards fall out of the top 25.

Here are the facts, the facts do not back up your arguement. The facts state that hdn can't recruit as good without a "cloud" as he can with one. So, please, as a new poster here, check things out before you post, especially if you say that something is fact. Voice your opinion all day, but don't state something as fact if you don't know it to be accurate.

You also mention that many fans are mad now and getting on to the coach is just something that's popular to do. Well, nutt lost me after the debacle known as the 2003 season. Everything was in place and HE ruined it by playing not to lose rather than playing to win against auburn and florida. Before the auburn game I was a huge nutt fan, after the florida game I knew we had to get someone else otherwise we would be a perennial 6-5 team.

Take my advice, put down the jug of kool-aid you're drinking.

Great post. 

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: geoffhog on September 23, 2005, 09:36:03 pm
Sorry, I don't know the exact years, but one other thing to keep in mind. Bama's investigation was wrapped up in about 15 months and affected 2 classes. Ours was approx. twice as long.

Bama got a two year bowl ban.  Can you not see the difference?

Fletch

I still support Nutt but am not satisfied with where the program is right now. I am looking to see if we show some measurable improvement throughout the year to have something to build on for next year. I think recruiting on defense has been the major problem. We have players that seem to have potential but maybe just haven't had enough experience to catch on to the system yet.
I feel like $100

geoffhog

Ok...you guys are right. All those recruits who said afterwards the reason they went elsewhere was the threat of probation were just making it up.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: Fletch on September 23, 2005, 09:39:31 pm
I still support Nutt but am not satisfied with where the program is right now. I am looking to see if we show some measurable improvement throughout the year to have something to build on for next year. I think recruiting on defense has been the major problem. We have players that seem to have potential but maybe just haven't had enough experience to catch on to the system yet.

Yeah I am sure that's it.  Have you seen the tooth fairy around lately?

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: geoffhog on September 23, 2005, 09:41:01 pm
Ok...you guys are right. All those recruits who said afterwards the reason they went elsewhere was the threat of probation were just making it up.

Who are these recruits?  Give us some names.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on September 23, 2005, 09:37:42 pm

Bama got a two year bowl ban. Can you not see the difference?
They could not do anything in the post season and could not be crowned SEC West Champs, luckly for us though otherwise we wouldn't have got our last west title and been blown out by Georgia.

geoffhog

So where are the players that were in those 2002 and 2003 classes? Name all our topnotch juniors and seniors! They aren't there and they never were and thats because of the investigation.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: pioneerhog on September 23, 2005, 09:42:45 pm
Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on September 23, 2005, 09:37:42 pm

Bama got a two year bowl ban. Can you not see the difference?
They could not do anything in the post season and could not be crowned SEC West Champs, luckly for us though otherwise we wouldn't have got our last west title and been blown out by Georgia.
;D, yeah and to think that moron Nutt actually brags about a 9-5 season.  That is what hurts recruiting, having a idiot for a coach.