Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

asssistant coaches???

Started by hamsam, September 23, 2005, 05:48:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hamsam

Does anyone know how many of HDN's former assistant coaches have gone on to have success when they left here for a position elsewhere? Whether it be as a head coach, coordinator or assistant?
Should that not be a sort of a measuring stick for the quality of the coaches we have?
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

hamsam

those were before my time i guess. i do remember watching us whip #1Texas in 81 or 82. that is about as far back as I go memorywise
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Since 1894

Lets see, Keith Burns left to become head coach at Tulsa - that didn't work out.
John Thompson left to become DC at Florida under Spurrier and then became head coach at ECU.  That didn't work out and he is back with Spurrier at USC as DC.
Dave Womack was "let go" and is now with USC.
Madre Hill was a grad assist. (I think) and now is the running back coach at USC.

Who else has there been?
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

mikeirwin

Burns got fired at Tulsa as head coach and is an assistant at San Jose St.
Thompson did well at Florida as DC, got fired at East Carolina as head coach and is currently at South Carolina as DC.
Fitz Hill was fired at San Jose St as head coach.
Keopple is a HS head coach.
Ealy went to Fayetteville HS and came back to Arkansas. I don't know what happened to
Pugh but I don't think it was anything special.
Lee is with the Cowboys.
There is another DL line coach who went to the pros but I can't remember his name.

Theolesnort

There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Since 1894

Didn't someone else go to the Dallas Cowboys the same year as David Lee?
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

hamsam

from what i am reading from all of you guys, I am not seeing much success with maybe Lee as the exception. Wait a minute, the Cowgirls stink this year don't they?

I guess my point is that I always hear of these current and former, very successful coaches that have ties to U of A as assistants or GA's. I think if we could get that going again, things would turn for the better.

Since 1894

Quote from: hamsam on September 23, 2005, 06:22:22 pm
from what i am reading from all of you guys, I am not seeing much success with maybe Lee as the exception. Wait a minute, the Cowgirls stink this year don't they?

I guess my point is that I always hear of these current and former, very successful coaches that have ties to U of A as assistants or GA's. I think if we could get that going again, things would turn for the better.

I agree with that and I think that begins with stability with your head coach.  I think most of the former assists. left for larger programs.  I think that is a positive.

Since 1894

I forgot about Joe Ferguson.  He is still here in NWA working for Lindsey as a commercial RE agent.

Bomis Hawg

Isn't his name Kacy Rogers?  I thought he was the guy prior to Rocker.

Since 1894

BINGO - we have a winner.  I have not checked yet, is he still with the Cowboys?

hamsam

I forgot about him(Ferguson) too. Why did he leave?

Porquemada

Quote from: Theolesnort on September 23, 2005, 06:14:51 pm
Mike I think it was Johnson.
Was it Bill Johnson ? For some reason this name came to mind.

mikeirwin

hamsam

Quote from: Since 1894 on September 23, 2005, 06:26:31 pm

I agree with that and I think that begins with stability with your head coach. I think most of the former assists. left for larger programs. I think that is a positive.
We do need stability, absolutely. That is why I just can't get on the FIRE NUTT bandwagon.
Part of me thinks Nutt hurt himself with the Nebraska and LSU things. I think that if I had been in his shoes, I would have had to go on to Nebraska. He took it so far, I was suprised he did not go. He probably now wishes he would have.

Bomis Hawg

Kacy Rogers and David Lee are both with the Cowboys still.  Tony Bua is on their practice squad now.

Since 1894

Quote from: Since 1894 on September 23, 2005, 06:26:31 pm

I agree with that and I think that begins with stability with your head coach. I think most of the former assists. left for larger programs. I think that is a positive.

CORRECTION - when I said that most of the assits. left for larger programs, I meant either larger programs or better jobs at smaller programs.  Obviously Burns leaving for Tulsa is NOT (or it wasn't) a move to a larger program, it was a move UP in the food chain.

hamsam

I almost made that correction myself. I knew what you meant though. Anyway, I am not about to correct someone who has been around since 1894. ;D 

Since 1894

Quote from: hamsam on September 23, 2005, 07:26:25 pm
I almost made that correction myself. I knew what you meant though. Anyway, I am not about to correct someone who has been around since 1894. ;D

Yea, thanks for those kind words.  I feel like I am that old but I am not.  1894 was the first year we had a fb team.

What's Next?

hamsam

Quote from: Since 1894 on September 23, 2005, 07:44:36 pm

Yea, thanks for those kind words. I feel like I am that old but I am not. 1894 was the first year we had a fb team.

What's Next?
I know the significance of 1894. I was just attempting to be a little humerous, hence the ;D 
there seems to be very little of that here. I joined this site to have fun with other Hog Fans. Maybe now was not the best time for that.

Since 1894

Quote from: hamsam on September 23, 2005, 08:18:00 pm

Yea, thanks for those kind words. I feel like I am that old but I am not. 1894 was the first year we had a fb team.

What's Next?
I know the significance of 1894. I was just attempting to be a little humerus, hence the ;D 
there seems to be very little of that here. I joined this site to have fun with other Hog Fans. Maybe now was not the best time for that.

Yeah, I knew you were pulling my leg.  This is a great site with some great posters.  You just have to get to know them.  Some will see your post count and blast you just because your new, others will welcome you no matter how much or little you have posted.

Stick around and this site will become addictive. 

BTW - That is a great action pic of GBush.  Go Bush!

hamsam

September 23, 2005, 09:17:50 pm #21 Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 09:19:51 pm by hamsam
Quote from: Since 1894 on September 23, 2005, 08:37:18 pm
I knew you were one of the good guys 1894. thanks for the encouragement. GO BUSH AGAIN

What's Next?
I know the significance of 1894. I was just attempting to be a little humerus, hence the ;D

Yeah, I knew you were pulling my leg. This is a great site with some great posters. You just have to get to know them. Some will see your post count and blast you just because your new, others will welcome you no matter how much or little you have posted.

BTW - That is a great action pic of GBush. Go Bush!
i knew you were on of the good guys 1894. thanks for the encouragement. GO BUSH.

junkyardhog

Quote from: hamsam on September 23, 2005, 09:17:50 pm
I knew you were one of the good guys 1894. thanks for the encouragement. GO BUSH AGAIN

What's Next?

Yeah, I knew you were pulling my leg. This is a great site with some great posters. You just have to get to know them. Some will see your post count and blast you just because your new, others will welcome you no matter how much or little you have posted.

i knew you were on of the good guys 1894. thanks for the encouragement. GO BUSH.

[attachment deleted by admin]

hamsam

Quote from: junkyardhog on September 23, 2005, 10:26:48 pm
Quote from: hamsam on September 23, 2005, 09:17:50 pm

What's Next?

Is that the device that you use to seek out new partners for yourself!! If so, thanks for the offer, but I'm not interested!

lechon

Quote from: TDArkansasOhmy on September 23, 2005, 10:49:18 pm
Don't forget Fitz Hill....He is working 3rd shift at Mickey D's in Orange County Calf.

Fitz Hill is currently at OBU, I have found him to be a good man, a great recruiter, and hopefully will return to the razorbacks in the near future :razorback:
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill