Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where is the outrage?

Started by NYC Hog, September 19, 2005, 03:24:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NYC Hog

I realize I'm all the way in New York...but that hot blast of air you feel coming from the Northeast? That's me.

How are the apologists spinning this? This is NOT acceptable. Back-to-back humiliating losses. I'll go ahead and say it: This IS worse than the Citadel loss! Why does it feel like all the powers that be are just sitting around like goobers on a log, shrugging their shoulders. How does a debacle like this happen? How does a major college from a major conference with a (supposed) boatload of talent get absolutely humiliated. I could've taken a 20-something point loss. USC is that good. But people...THEY SCORED 70 POINTS ON US! I need a sacrificial lamb and it's not Herring or the players.

Before the season i was, admittedly, one of those that wanted to give Nutt the benefit of the doubt. Reduilding is a necessary evil (just ask OU, Notre Dame, Miami), but at what point did the wheels come off? Is there honestly a scenario where Nutt could keep his job? I realize it's probably not for the best to fire a coach mid-season, but by damn those phones should be beating down the bushes looking for our next coach. Someone who won't build up a program for eight years...only to see it gutted, decapitated, and neutered on national TV.

And Mr. Irwin, if you're out there...how is the media taking Nutt to task? As a former sports reporter and current investigative journalist, I'd be anxious to know how this guy is facing the firing squad with a straight face.
Sorry to vent guys, but i'm a long way from home.
"Rock n' roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies."
--Drive By Truckers

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

HogDodging

Quote from: NYC Hog on September 19, 2005, 03:24:46 pm

And Mr. Irwin, if you're out there...how is the media taking Nutt to task? As a former sports reporter and current investigative journalist, I'd be anxious to know how this guy is facing the firing squad with a straight face.
Sorry to vent guys, but i'm a long way from home.

None of the local media will ask Nutt the tough questions to his face.  I don't know if they are afraid of losing their access to good parking and a free meal before the games, or what the deal is.  But, nobody will take Nutt to task.
By saying that, I fully expect the reply from our local journalists to be, "If you think it's so easy, why don't you come and do it?"
Talk about a cop out.  They're the "reporters".  That's supposed to be their job.

CarolinaHog1176

well, you think if they were going to fire Nutt this season, they wouldn't have added another year to his contract this past off-season.  if they fire him now they'll be paying him through 2010, right?
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

PAHog

Nutt keeps his job if we win 5 games.  I really think that Broyles will back him.  I say send him off if he doesn't win at least 7, but that isn't going to happen.  The local media doesn't really care about holding this staff accountable.  They only care about making sure they are on their good side so as to have the access they covet.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

Biggus Piggus

The biggest outrage in this game, in my opinion: USC had to go into slowdown mode to rest its defense, and we couldn't even make them punt.
[CENSORED]!

PintailKiller

Quote from: PAHog on September 19, 2005, 04:53:30 pm
Nutt keeps his job if we win 5 games. I really think that Broyles will back him. I say send him off if he doesn't win at least 7, but that isn't going to happen. The local media doesn't really care about holding this staff accountable. They only care about making sure they are on their good side so as to have the access they covet.
Arkansas only has 3 winnable games left, and 2 of those are iffy.  If Arkansas loses to ULM, Nutt will be gone before the bus gets back to Fville.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

HawgWild

The fans are thoroughly outraged and right now Nutt is being blasted on Drive Time Sports. I believe that Nutt has lost total confidence with the majority of the fans and it would take a 9 win run to be forgiven. Like you I was giving Nutt the benefit of the doubt in the beginning of the season, however the wheels not have only come off, but the looters from New Orleans have come up and literally stolen them. They are lost and never to be found under the current leadership.

So, how does a Hog Fan live amongst New Yorkers and retain his sanity?

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 19, 2005, 05:04:09 pm
The biggest outrage in this game, in my opinion: USC had to go into slowdown mode to rest its defense, and we couldn't even make them punt.
Biggus, the most hilarious thing there is, they were up 28-10 and you're right, they had to rest their defense because they'd given up a 15-play drive. And we made two decent plays on them on first down and second down. I think we jumped offsides on first down to give them a first. But on those first two plays, you should have heard the mock cheers from the Arkansas fans and the hollers of "Herring, Herring."
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Chuck Beavers

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 19, 2005, 05:04:09 pm

Biggus, the Arkansas fans around me were most outraged at the end of the first half. We got the ball with a little over a minute left in the half. Do we go into our 2-minute offense? No, we run the ball three times trying to run out the clock. On forth down, USC calls a time out so they can score some more before half. We're behind by 32 points and aren't even trying to score. USC is leading 42-10 and wants more.

A tale of two coaches.