Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After watching Sat night, would a big name coach WANT this job

Started by hogsanity, September 19, 2005, 11:25:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

I mean the D talent is so bad that it will take at least 3 good to better recruiting classes to make it into anything.  Granted you shouldnt hang your db's out in man to man every play, but you have to be able to do it some times.  And since AR for years and years and years has not been able to sign DT's that can pressure the QB then we will either have to sit back and get dinked to death or gotta bring the blitz every once in a while.

So I ask, seriously, if HDN gets canned, do you HONESTLY think a big time coach would want this job?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogsanity on September 19, 2005, 11:25:27 am
I mean the D talent is so bad that it will take at least 3 good to better recruiting classes to make it into anything. Granted you shouldnt hang your db's out in man to man every play, but you have to be able to do it some times. And since AR for years and years and years has not been able to sign DT's that can pressure the QB then we will either have to sot back and get dinled to death or gotta bring the blitz every once in a while.

So I ask, seriously, if HDN gets canned, do you HONESTLY think a big time coash would want this job?

this is your best post ever. Well said. For any coach, the defense is a three-year reclamation project.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogsanity

And then, of course, while your a trying to fix the D, does the O suffer because of that emphasis?  People did not like them too much, but at least when you had Batman and Richardson, you didnt have to worry that if the qb HAD 2 SECONDS THAT THEYD BE BEAT. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HornetHog

Arkansas is primed  to launch the next great coach.   My thought is we do have really good D-1 talent on the hill(except at QB- which is the key to the team).  Our talent with the right coach could be very good.  There is a fact that is like a wall and you can not get around it...."YOU PLAY LIKE YOU PRACTICE!!"  I love our coaches for the fine human beings and roll models that they are, however football is evolving faster than we want to admit.    FOR YEARS...the run set up the pass.....NO MORE!!  The pass sets up the run.   Without the pass, your defense has to play to much and they become tired and the score gets ugly fast.  Football as we know it is slowly turning into a flag-football mantality where the most important thing is to get the ball back so we can score faster than the other offense scored.  If you try to controll the clock against and good pass team....they will make you pay.....you better have a fast scoring passing game to answer...or it gets ugly.

The UofA has the best of everything as far as facilities for our players.....its only a matter of time until the Hog Dynasty returns.  Unfortunatly will we let HDN finish his plan or do we demand immedidate gradification with B Davis.....?
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogsanity on September 19, 2005, 11:53:26 am
And then, of course, while your a trying to fix the D, does the O suffer because of that emphasis? People did not like them too much, but at least when you had Batman and Richardson, you didnt have to worry that if the qb HAD 2 SECONDS THAT THEYD BE BEAT.

I always chuckled when people on these message boards ripped on Batman and Richardson.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Pa-Paw

A top tier coach would first expect a very favorable multi-year contract, which featured a lot of money and a tough buy out clause. Second, he would look at the job itself. Things like motivation of the fan base, facilities, recruiting base, and the competition that he will be going up against. If all of the above looks favorable to him, then he'll seriously consider the job. Everything looks good, with the exception of recruiting base and the conference that he'll have to compete in.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HornetHog on September 19, 2005, 12:20:44 pm
Arkansas is primed to launch the next great coach. My thought is we do have really good D-1 talent on the hill(except at QB- which is the key to the team). Our talent with the right coach could be very good. There is a fact that is like a wall and you can not get around it...."YOU PLAY LIKE YOU PRACTICE!!" I love our coaches for the fine human beings and roll models that they are, however football is evolving faster than we want to admit. FOR YEARS...the run set up the pass.....NO MORE!! The pass sets up the run. Without the pass, your defense has to play to much and they become tired and the score gets ugly fast. Football as we know it is slowly turning into a flag-football mantality where the most important thing is to get the ball back so we can score faster than the other offense scored. If you try to controll the clock against and good pass team....they will make you pay.....you better have a fast scoring passing game to answer...or it gets ugly.

The UofA has the best of everything as far as facilities for our players.....its only a matter of time until the Hog Dynasty returns. Unfortunatly will we let HDN finish his plan or do we demand immedidate gradification with B Davis.....?

Hornet, I thought the game was evolving in the mid to late 1980s with Miami, and their passing game setting up the great running, rather than vice versa. And they put an emphasis still on running, not just the BYU throw it all around deal. Norm Chow admits than when he got to USC, he changed his own philosophy that incorporated running in a different way, making everything more enhanced on that level, where defenses were more athletic.
Tennessee sets up a great running game, or has in the past, with Shuler, Manning and those players.
We insist on going at it by saying, we're going to pound you first, and then when you commit to stopping that, then we'll try to pass. I would have to think starting with Mustain, that all changes.
USC was pretty ecstatic in their papers out there at holding our running game in check for the most part.

HornetHog

Drake............you comment just confirmed it.  Two of the most successfull D-1 programs in the 80's were doing what....passing their ass off....and going to a big bowl each and every year.  The 90's came around and it's taken a few generations to grasp the concept, High schools like Bryant started to finally win some games with their lower level of talent...Killed Pine Bluff for a few seasons with a wide open shot gun 2 minute drill offense,.... and finally today many pee wee leagues have gone straigh no-huddle calling at the line....and all that really means is the little QB's have been taught at a much younger age how to read and relax with confidence, and that they are in control of the game.  Watch in the next several years if there isn't a crop of Matt L's that take over all D-1 schools.  I am a personal QB coach in my spare time and I am currently working with a 6'2" 8th grader that is better than most HS QB's in the Chicago area.
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

Flatline

When it comes to defense you have to work with what you have.  You don't throw a wide receiver in at def end.  You have to say ok this didn't work, we need to try something else.  Don't get me wrong I like Herring and the fire he has in that big ole belly but he has to realize that  his talent level is low and he has to compensate.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: drakehog on September 19, 2005, 12:23:43 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on September 19, 2005, 11:53:26 am
And then, of course, while your a trying to fix the D, does the O suffer because of that emphasis? People did not like them too much, but at least when you had Batman and Richardson, you didnt have to worry that if the qb HAD 2 SECONDS THAT THEYD BE BEAT.

I always chuckled when people on these message boards ripped on Batman and Richardson.
I think most who ripped Batman did so because of his tendency to chest-beat and strut after tackling a WR who'd just caught a pass for a 40 yd. completion. Once he stopped that in his last year as a Hog, folks mostly laid off of him. I don't recall too many, certainly not a majority, ripping Richardson, as most realized he was good and it was the D line that was the problem.

kremlinhog

this is a no lose situation for a new coach, nowhere to go but way up imo,would take a herculean effort to do any worse than nutt or ford
great opportunity for some coach.