Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzhan

Started by hogbalz, September 19, 2005, 10:16:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogbalz

Guys not trying to be negative but if you believe a lone highschool coach can come in here a save a div 1 school that is sinking fast, you are wrong. Would I love to have him? Hell yea , but he alone is not going to save this program. We are in BAD shape. I would not even want him to come in here thinking he needed to be the savior. I think also if Butch comes here {if} he would probably already have a crew of coaches in mind. All this Petreno talk is a waist of time. I could go on for 10 minutes why he would not come but it's obvious why. I wish us the best. I want us to be a contender as much as anyone on this board. That being said hiring an offensive coordinator would not save this program in it's current state.
In doing your work in the great world, it is a safe plan to follow a rule I once heard on the football field: Don't flinch, don't fall; hit the line hard.
--Theodore Roosevelt

If you don't make a total commitment to whatever you're doing, then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking. It's tough enough getting that boat to shore with everybody rowing, let alone when a guy stands up and starts putting his jacket on.
--Lou Holtz

hogbalz

September 19, 2005, 10:55:58 am #1 Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 11:00:42 am by hogbalz
That is all my point was as well. I live in Summerville SC about 20 min outside of Charleston. The HS football coach's name is John Mckisik. He has more wins than any other coach ever at any level. 500 plus wins can remember the exact number. He has stated on several occasions in his career that it is no comparison coaching at a highschool level  to a div 1level. This is coming from a guy that has one more state titles than most coaches have in their win column. Would he be a great addition yes I agree.

Here is a record for you people.                                            http://www.dorchester2.k12.sc.us/education/sportszone/default.php?sectiondetailid=82166&sc_id=1127145524
In doing your work in the great world, it is a safe plan to follow a rule I once heard on the football field: Don't flinch, don't fall; hit the line hard.
--Theodore Roosevelt

If you don't make a total commitment to whatever you're doing, then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking. It's tough enough getting that boat to shore with everybody rowing, let alone when a guy stands up and starts putting his jacket on.
--Lou Holtz

Madgun

Our offense might be more wide-open with Malzahn, but I don't think that would change much until we got better athletes here. 

This is the same conference that has Spurrior, Meyer, the Auburn OC (don't know his name--but did some neat stuff last year), Richt, etc.  Do you think that Malzahn would bring anything to the table that the teams in this conference haven't already seen? 

I like the guy, but he's not our savior. 

hogbalz

Agree with you. Bring somthing to the offense yea, savior no.
--Theodore Roosevelt

--Lou Holtz

hogbalz

September 19, 2005, 11:25:48 am #4 Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 11:27:25 am by hogbalz
Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 19, 2005, 11:18:53 am
where do you think most college coaches start out? duh........high school.....

You are correct high school. If you read my post I simply stated that he was not alone gonna turn this program around by hiself. To read some of the peoples post they act as if Malzhan is the second coming of Bear Bryant. And he may be but he has not proven it at a div 1 level yet.
--Theodore Roosevelt

--Lou Holtz

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: hogbalzTo read some of the peoples post they act as if Malzhan is the second coming of Bear Bryant.

I haven't read anybody that has proclaimed him to be the football savior.

I've read a lot of people who've said (including myself) that hiring him in some capacity is a very very good idea.

Just because we want him hired doesn't mean we worship the guy.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

katocat13

There are people who think if we get him then all our problems will be solved.  The thing with High School coaches making it in college, is that they usually start somewhere like AState, or Hendrix.  They don't usually jump to one of the SEC schools.  We are so screwed.   I don't even see the happy place at the end of the season.   :-[

hogbalz

People on here have stated that keeping Nuttless that he could hire Mr. M as an O cord.. Maybe I might be reading in to that the wrong way. If you keep Nuttless and hire Malzhan we still will not compete with Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, and Georgia.
--Theodore Roosevelt

--Lou Holtz

Frankenswine

Bringing in Malzhan would definately be an improvement next year.  He will know how to make use of a quality quarterback like Mitch, but most importantly, he will change the offensive mindset that we currently have.  Passing won't be the last option, and hopefully we will have seen the last of running a draw on every third and long.

Madgun

There are a lot of guys out there that like the passing game.  Maybe even with more college experience.  I've just always wondered why he's always choice #1? 

hogbalz

Quote from: Madgun on September 19, 2005, 12:26:36 pm
There are a lot of guys out there that like the passing game. Maybe even with more college experience. I've just always wondered why he's always choice #1?

I agree Madgun. Just like Davis, he just seems like the best fit I guess. I can guarantee you if Davis has thought about taking the job if it comes up he already has a fleet of cord. in mind.
--Theodore Roosevelt

--Lou Holtz

Madgun

Quote from: hogbalz on September 19, 2005, 01:08:32 pm
Quote from: Madgun on September 19, 2005, 12:26:36 pm

I agree Madgun. Just like Davis, he just seems like the best fit I guess. I can guarantee you if Davis has thought about taking the job if it comes up he already has a fleet of cord. in mind.

I don't know.  I think he gets a lot of publicity for being Mitch's coach & for blowing away a bunch of high school kids with his 5 D-1 prospects.  People see that on the high school level and want to see it at the U of A.  I just think that they tend to forget that he's doing it all against inferior competition at the HS level, whereas it'll be done against superior athletes at the collegiate level.  I agree that we need a new offensive outlook, but let's look at other options as well.  I don't see Fayetteville High School on the schedule next year. 

I think he'll get a spot on staff--but not as OC.  Someone with more experience will get it initially & Gus will get a positions coach's gig. 

Flatline

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 19, 2005, 10:40:55 am
Quote from: hogbalz on September 19, 2005, 10:16:40 am
Guys not trying to be negative but if you believe a lone highschool coach can come in here a save a div 1 school that is sinking fast, you are wrong. Would I love to have him? Hell yea , but he alone is not going to save this program. We are in BAD shape. I would not even want him to come in here thinking he needed to be the savior. I think also if Butch comes here {if} he would probably already have a crew of coaches in mind. All this Petreno talk is a waist of time. I could go on for 10 minutes why he would not come but it's obvious why. I wish us the best. I want us to be a contender as much as anyone on this board. That being said hiring an offensive coordinator would not save this program in it's current state.

Nobody thinks he can save the program. It takes a whole staff of good coaches and recruiters plus a head man that is organized and has real leadership skills. We have none of that right now. Gus would be an excellent part to help solve the puzzle though

He would be a great quarterbacks coach.  He had great qb's at Shiloh and now springdale.  I saw his back up the other night and that kid is good too.  He has magic when it come to qb's.

Madgun

Has he ever had QBs that have went on to the next level & had success?  I know Floyd went somewhere & Lashlee walked on at the UA, but neither did much.  Mitch might be that guy.  I have always heard that his QBs aren't great at making reads, etc.  More a part of the system rather than developing themselves.  ?????

Flatline

Quote from: Madgun on September 19, 2005, 01:36:40 pm
Has he ever had QBs that have went on to the next level & had success? I know Floyd went somewhere & Lashlee walked on at the UA, but neither did much. Mitch might be that guy. I have always heard that his QBs aren't great at making reads, etc. More a part of the system rather than developing themselves. ?????

You might be right.  I am not a fan of Malzhan due to his ego but he has a mind for football.  He has to start somewhere in college and why not qb's.  His qb's are better than the ones on the hill.

Madgun

I have a pretty good idea that he will be on staff in some way next year.  QB coach or receivers coach or something.  I would be surprised if they vaulted him straight to offensive coordinator. 

woodymdt

Actually most college coaches start out as graduate assistants, usually at the college they attended and/or played at, then they work their way onto that staff, or another college will have a need for their specialty and that assistants head coach will help him find a position.

Very few high school coaches ascend into the D1 level.

THROWITDEEP

You are right, usually college coaches start out as a GA and never look back.  They stay in the college ranks.  We do have exceptions though.
Quote from: woodymdt on September 19, 2005, 02:15:30 pm

Actually most college coaches start out as graduate assistants, usually at the college they attended and/or played at, then they work their way onto that staff, or another college will have a need for their specialty and that assistants head coach will help him find a position.

Very few high school coaches ascend into the D1 level.

hog caller

well we need to do something soon because smellvill consolidated jr high could have beaten us last wek

i don't know who the right person might be but the talent quality should definitely rise.

sage_dragoon

I'd take a system QB ala Danny Wuerffel(sp?)...that guy only won a title and a heisman.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

hogbalz

System Qback when will we see one? ;D
--Theodore Roosevelt

--Lou Holtz

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 19, 2005, 09:57:25 pm
Quote from: hogbalz on September 19, 2005, 09:47:23 pm
System Qback when will we see one? ;D

Better yet, when will we see a system ;D

What I like about Springdale is their ability to execute to perfection. That I credit to Malzahn. That's exactly what we lack in special teams and why I would like to see him handling special teams and wide receivers. The guy obviously knows routes well and could help our receivers run PAST the first down stripe and THEN turn around to catch a ball. Plus, let's face it, if MM comes to Arkansas he will have already learned everything he can from Malzahn. Let Butch (and it is gonna be Butch) hire a top notch balanced coordinator who might can help MM from a different perspective.

Oh the pain is unbearable now but if we get the coaches aforementioned we will have some fun in the future.

Bacon out...

What is this idea about going past the marker and then catching it, i don't understand.

hogbalz

Yea we just ran another draw play!  ;D
--Theodore Roosevelt

--Lou Holtz

Oklahawg

Butch Davis and Larry Coker poked around the oil fields of Oklahoma at rural, isolated high schools before heading to NCAA schools. I'd say either would be welcomed, in hindsight, should we be their first NCAA gig.

Malzahn is simply a piece to the puzzle. I don't necessarily think Wittke is a bad QB coach. I think he has to fight through HDN's meddling to do his job.

What type of turnover to the staff could occur without the recruiting and player development process being completely screwed? Half?? Its a tight fit to only eliminate 4 assistants. Herring is here, for better or worse, for another year as long as HDN is here. Bobby Allen is the next best defensive coach but he's way out of his league as a secondary coach. Needs to be at LB, but that's Herring's spot. Can Allen do DL? Sure hate to have a poor fit. Say Herring brings in an entirely new defensive staff. That means the purge is limited to one offensive coach. Ealy is the likely target but would Wittke stick around and have Malzahn looking over his shoulder, with HDN looking over the other? Would Markuson (who consistently gets more from less) stick around if he was no longer the co-coordinator?

A lot of these guys would get D2 head gigs if they left, given their experience at a D1 school. That's comparable pay to what most make as assistants. Could wind up with a wholesale purge of assistants, save Brother Danny and Sister Reggie. That's not a good recipe for success, either.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra