Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fire Frank Broyles

Started by counsellorhog, September 18, 2005, 08:18:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

counsellorhog

When one looks at the sorry state of football and basketball, I think you have to do what seems impossible to Arkansas fans.  Frank Broyles' time has come.  Despite all Frank has done for the university and the state, I think we need to face facts.  Frank is too old for the job, and he is out of touch with modern collegiate sports.

As far as I'm concerned, you can name every building on campus the Frank Broyles building and not say enough about his impact, nor thank him enough for what he has done.  He is a national college football figure, but relying on that much longer without demanding results will drive Arkansas athletics into the ground.  This is a very politically incorrect line of thought in Arkansas, but I think its what everyone is thinking.

HogDodging

Frank quit being in charge when the UA used a hiring committee when looking for a coach to replace Danny Ford.  The real person in charge of things on The Hill is Jim Lindsey.
I only wish Don Tyson would step up and throw his considerable money into the fray.  He could buy 50 Jim Lindseys.  And, while I certainly don't speak for Tyson, I've heard he is a Butch Davis fan.

hamsam

I do not understand the rush to want to fire broyles, nutt or anyone else for that matter.  Our defense is pathetic at best, but what can you expect when you rob receivers and turn them into defensive ends. The secondary is atrocious, olajubutu is a decent linebacker and the rest of our defense basically stinks. I love the hogs as much as anyone else, but you cant fire them in the middle of the season for losing (all be it horribly) to the best college program (USC) in the last 30 years. Give it time and something good will happen for us. I really believe that.

GO HOGS
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

SwineFLU

Quote from: hamsam on September 18, 2005, 10:54:22 pm
I do not understand the rush to want to fire broyles, nutt or anyone else for that matter. Our defense is pathetic at best, but what can you expect when you rob receivers and turn them into defensive ends. The secondary is atrocious, olajubutu is a decent linebacker and the rest of our defense basically stinks. I love the hogs as much as anyone else, but you cant fire them in the middle of the season for losing (all be it horribly) to the best college program (USC) in the last 30 years. Give it time and something good will happen for us. I really believe that.

GO HOGS
I'll just assume this whole post of yours is a pathetic attempt at sarcasm.  You really can't be serious, can you?  What Arkansas sports programs have YOU been watching over the years?  Bottom line is Broyles is YEARS beyond helping the U of A anymore, thanks for supposed "National Championship" in football back in the 60's, and the real NC in basketball in '94, we appreciate it.  But know when to say when dude.  Time's are a changin', YOUR time is up.  It's sad, but it happens to all of us eventually.  Retire and rest on your laurels and let someone take the reins that CARES about the present AND the future and isn't stuck in the past.  I would like to see both Heath and Houston gone, but frankly, I'm TERRIFIED at who Broyles would replace them both with. 

And as far as HDN being the new AD, no thanks.  His behavior during the Nebraska/LSU recruitment attempts combined with his defection to Oklahoma State as a player REALLY leaves a bad taste in this fan's mouth.  Saying you love Arkansas and everything about it is one thing, acting like it is entirely another apparently.
SwineFLU

DanTheHogFan

Hey hogapalooza?  Are you always so condesending when someone has a different view than you?

Excuse us who have control of our emotions.

DanTheHogFan

Have you all forgotten the 2003 team?  The team that had talks of National Championships after beating Texas and Alabama?  We lost to Auburn, whose D was tremendous that year.  And we were a "Phantom Holding penalty" away from tying them and going to OT.  Our expectations were raised in 1998 and 1999 and 2003...we had a shot at greatness and were only a few plays away.

I guess it only matters...what have you done for me today?  We knew this was a down year.  Suck it up...realize it's not over yet...and call the hogs.  It's gonna turn around.

Go ahead...I am a nutt-hugger and a baby-kisser and other names.  But that's cool...I don't know any of you anyway.

DanTheHogFan

I don't have the time to rebut all of those claims.  They are accurate and they are all losses while HDN was coaching.  But I also remember not going to bowl games...period.  I remember the 90's when we first got into the SEC.  I remember us being Terrible in the SEC and feeling like we won the National Championship when Lunney threw Meadors to beat Alabama. 

Our expectations have been raised from then.  If you don't see that...then you are not looking.

You are so bent on Firing someone, you are willing to dig and dig to justify your stance.  Well...dig on.  But HDN won't get fired this year.  And you will sleep better if you just accept that.

hamsam

"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Dances With Hogs

I do not understand the rush to want to fire broyles, nutt or anyone else for that matter. Our defense is pathetic at best, but what can you expect when you rob receivers and turn them into defensive ends. The secondary is atrocious, olajubutu is a decent linebacker and the rest of our defense basically stinks. I love the hogs as much as anyone else, but you cant fire them in the middle of the season for losing (all be it horribly) to the best college program (USC) in the last 30 years. Give it time and something good will happen for us. I really believe that.

GO HOGS

Dances With Hogs

No! We dont want to give it time, all of them have had time, too much.

DanTheHogFan

Quote from: hogapalooza on September 18, 2005, 08:51:24 pm
Its sad that the fans like us w/ little $$$ or none at all get left to support a team that SUCKS and have nothing to say about it? Well we can not show up, but being I have to put $$$ aside to buy my season tix and have already paid for them it is not as easy to just not use them or try and sell them and not have any takers. Plus if all of us don't go to the games then who would by my tixs?

FIRE HDN!!!!

Whatever dude.  I like to eat burgers.  what do you have to say about that?  Should we fire McDonalds.  I think blue jeans are too restricitive and computers are cool, too.

What are we here for?

DanTheHogFan

Quote from: Dances With Hogs on September 22, 2005, 08:33:51 pm
No! We dont want to give it time, all of them have had time, too much.

FIRE EM ALL, EH? 

Its a lost cause.  Why don't you accept the fact...You dont have control of this situation.  You don't HAVE to support the hogs...and if you dont like it...pull your money.

hamsam

let me guess.  shakin'bacon and hogapalooza were on the same high school team....as statisticians. You guys seem to have all of the answers, so tell me... who should we get to replace HDN? Butch? Nutt will probably hire him after he becomes the AD.

Hog Ma n Pop

Great topic he's the root of the problem.  Pull the old roots and lets start with some new growth!
"If I had a Prozac right now the size of Alabama I would chew that fu*ker till dawn." - Phyllis from Mulga

Since 1894

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 22, 2005, 08:35:46 pm
Quote from: hogapalooza on September 18, 2005, 10:59:23 pm
I do not understand the rush to want to fire broyles, nutt or anyone else for that matter.
REALLY?????  You don't understand why we ( I ) would want to fire HDN!????
HOLY HOG did you just crawl out of a HOLE? Or are you doing this.....
Or maybe you are the guy holding the sign?

When a mass of lost people wander in the dark, it is understandable that some will long for security in the things which they already know.  Good or bad.  Moses led a mass of people through a parted sea from pharaoh and yet undoubtedly a few turned back because slavery was all they had ever known. 

But know this, when the remaining lost were wandering through the desert and manna was raining down from the heavens they had only one thing on their mind....they chanted in unison:

FIRE HDN!!!

(that was for you, Hogapalooza!!)

Bacon out...

Bacon Fat -

I have been giving you a lot a grief today.  While we many agree to disagree on certain subjects, I think this is one of the best posts you have ever written.  I don't agree with it but I like your writing style.

HDN OUT
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

DanTheHogFan

Quote from: Since 1894 on September 22, 2005, 09:07:20 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 22, 2005, 08:35:46 pm
Quote from: hogapalooza on September 18, 2005, 10:59:23 pm
I do not understand the rush to want to fire broyles, nutt or anyone else for that matter.
REALLY????? You don't understand why we ( I ) would want to fire HDN!????
HOLY HOG did you just crawl out of a HOLE? Or are you doing this.....
Or maybe you are the guy holding the sign?

When a mass of lost people wander in the dark, it is understandable that some will long for security in the things which they already know. Good or bad. Moses led a mass of people through a parted sea from pharaoh and yet undoubtedly a few turned back because slavery was all they had ever known.

But know this, when the remaining lost were wandering through the desert and manna was raining down from the heavens they had only one thing on their mind....they chanted in unison:

FIRE HDN!!!

(that was for you, Hogapalooza!!)

Bacon out...

Bacon Fat -

I have been giving you a lot a grief today. While we many agree to disagree on certain subjects, I think this is one of the best posts you have ever written. I don't agree with it but I like your writing style.

HDN OUT

So are you comparing those who want to fire HDN to the Israellites who followed Moses?  And Moses would be HDN?  And you are proud to be an Israellite?  Have you READ the Story?

pignatious

To me, Frank Broyles lost a ton of credability by stepping out and saying HDN is going to be the coach for years to come. He in effect admitted to the fans and supporters of Arkansas that this level of results is acceptable. He is satisfied with the state of affairs and actually thinks it will improve after all experience has shown otherwise. The athletic department is happy with being the laughing stock of major college sports, football and basketball. That is just absolutely hard for a Hog fan to stomach, but it is true. By his actions, he is saying money rules and as long as people buy the tickets and the merchandise, there will be no change. I don't think that Hog fans should have to support a program with their hard earned money, when the administration does not care if it successful or not in the win-loss column.
Freedom is never free.

Since 1894

Dan THF,

If your question is for me, all I was trying to say is that Bacon showed some level of knowledge and IQ when he wrote the post.  That is more than I can say for many of the posters here.  I am not sure if he has read (and understands) Holy Scripture but at least he is trying!

I disagree with him and his desire to fire HDN but I like to either have some fun with posters or complement them (when they have done well).  Compared to some of his other posts, Bacon did well with this one.

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

DanTheHogFan

ok then...Its hard to pick up humor on here sometimes.  Especially with so many here having rage-filled posts.  Its nice to hear from a level-headed person who is wanting Nutt Fired.  That goes a lot further than the hostile posts.  I still don't agree.......YET.  My opinion is that...We need to see how the rest of the year finishes before we Demand Nutt to be Fired.  Like it will matter anyway...FB told us he was there for 4 more years...He must have Bush's guys writing for him.  (injected attempt at small humor)

DanTheHogFan

1984... it was Bacon.  I have agreed with all you have posted so far.  And I appreciate those, like me, who are not yelling for some heads to roll.  Except Bama's that is...

Since 1894

Quote from: DanTheHogFan on September 22, 2005, 09:23:37 pm
ok then...Its hard to pick up humor on here sometimes. Especially with so many here having rage-filled posts. Its nice to hear from a level-headed person who is wanting Nutt Fired. That goes a lot further than the hostile posts. I still don't agree.......YET. My opinion is that...We need to see how the rest of the year finishes before we Demand Nutt to be Fired. Like it will matter anyway...FB told us he was there for 4 more years...He must have Bush's guys writing for him. (injected attempt at small humor)

Keep posting Dan, we are on the same side - but the Bush joke sucked.

DanTheHogFan

Quote from: Since 1894 on September 22, 2005, 09:26:20 pm
ok then...Its hard to pick up humor on here sometimes. Especially with so many here having rage-filled posts. Its nice to hear from a level-headed person who is wanting Nutt Fired. That goes a lot further than the hostile posts. I still don't agree.......YET. My opinion is that...We need to see how the rest of the year finishes before we Demand Nutt to be Fired. Like it will matter anyway...FB told us he was there for 4 more years...He must have Bush's guys writing for him. (injected attempt at small humor)

Amen Bacon... In the end, none of this will matter.  And 1894... the Bush joke was not that bad.  4 more years...they chanted it often.  Maybe you just don't like Bush...If so, we may have found our first disagreement.  But in the end that matters not either.

hamsam

shakinbacon, I agree with all you said about the Vandy game but to call Tuberville a quality x's and o's man is taking things a little too far. HDN whipped Tuberville 42-17 in 2001, right!? Has AU ever beat us that bad? (i tend to block out memories of bad beat downs)Almost anyone can learn the x's and o's of football. Knowing how and when to apply them is the key and I will admit that Nutt is a little (o.k. a lot) remiss as far as that goes right now. However, I can remember in the not so distant past when people loved his play calling style and were singing his praises.

Yes, I know that the recruiting coordinator is. Chris Vaughn. That seems to be a large problem right now. I have no answer for what needs to happen with that. I do not know what qualifications the man had to even get the job!
As far as your comment on the assistants, what is the problem with Markuson or Shiebest or Danny Nutt? Do you really believe that Herring took this job because he wanted to stay on Nutt's "staff" for 15 years? That is not at all plausible. However, Vaughn and Allen would probably fit this description well.
My answer is to ride it out and see if HDN can be like Bobby Bowden or Frank Beemer. What do we really have to lose other than a few more games? Pride should not be a factor after the last two games.

Since 1894

Quote from: DanTheHogFan on September 22, 2005, 09:35:00 pm
Quote from: Since 1894 on September 22, 2005, 09:26:20 pm

Amen Bacon... In the end, none of this will matter. And 1894... the Bush joke was not that bad. 4 more years...they chanted it often. Maybe you just don't like Bush...If so, we may have found our first disagreement. But in the end that matters not either.

Dan THF -

MY BAD - I thought you were slamming Bush.  I voted for him three times in 2004 (you know, "Vote early and Vote Often").  Bush is the MAN.  We still have a (as Bo would say) "Man Crush" for each other!

DanTheHogFan

Quote from: hamsam on September 22, 2005, 09:37:39 pm
shakinbacon, I agree with all you said about the Vandy game but to call Tuberville a quality x's and o's man is taking things a little too far. HDN whipped Tuberville 42-17 in 2001, right!? Has AU ever beat us that bad? (i tend to block out memories of bad beat downs)Almost anyone can learn the x's and o's of football. Knowing how and when to apply them is the key and I will admit that Nutt is a little (o.k. a lot) remiss as far as that goes right now. However, I can remember in the not so distant past when people loved his play calling style and were singing his praises.

Yes, I know that the recruiting coordinator is. Chris Vaughn. That seems to be a large problem right now. I have no answer for what needs to happen with that. I do not know what qualifications the man had to even get the job!
As far as your comment on the assistants, what is the problem with Markuson or Shiebest or Danny Nutt? Do you really believe that Herring took this job because he wanted to stay on Nutt's "staff" for 15 years? That is not at all plausible. However, Vaughn and Allen would probably fit this description well.
My answer is to ride it out and see if HDN can be like Bobby Bowden or Frank Beemer. What do we really have to lose other than a few more games? Pride should not be a factor after the last two games.

I tend to agree with you Hamsam. Your comments seem to have taken a great deal of thought.  But what do I know?  You could be hopped up on Ambien and just talking smack.  (small attempt at humor) 

Seriously...You said a lot of things with which I agree.  But this board ( I see you are newer than me) doesn't tend to take kindly to those who aren't on the Firey wagon.  Just take care...don't get discouraged...and always...ALWAYS REMEMBER.........................................

GO HOGS

Later

hamsam

bacon, if what you say about the headset throwing deal is true, I may have to agree with the control freak analogy!

DanTheHogFan

careful hamsam...He's trying to "lure" you in to "their" thinking.  It's how they work.  Next thing you know...The Whores start movin' in!!!!

hamsam

thanks for the tip DanTHF. I always try to look at the positive side of things when my negative thoughts are not blocking my view!! By the way, how did you  know i took an Ambien

DanTheHogFan

BuschHawg

I'm old school and remember back when JFB paced the sidelines in the Ark vs Texass <spit> Conference. He was a great coach and until recent years has been a great Athletic Director. We owe a great deal to him for his many accomplishments allegiance to the U. of A. It was largely his vision that inspired the new facilities that we're all proud of. Any football fanatic in the nation will immediately recognize his name and associate him with Arkansas. But, every dog has his day, and sooner or later there comes a time when a person reaches his peak and declines. In politics it's controlled by term limits. In the real world, when a person in the workforce reaches that point, the corporate brass find a way to allow him to bow out gracefully with incentives and praise. It's unfortunate and somewhat cruel but its a life, and something we'll all face if we live long enough. Actually JFB is in pretty dang good shape for 80 years. I hope I'm in as good of shape if and when I reach that milestone.

Everything changes in time. Remember the ol wishbone offense and all the many other formations that once worked wonders but nobody ever uses any longer? Rules change, people change, the game has changed over the years...change is inevitable. Just compare an old re-run to present day game. Scholarship limits and so many other factors come into play. Often a fresh change will breath new life into something that has become stagnant. I like JFB and always have. I covet my book "Hog Wild" that is autographed by none other than JFB himself. But, it's time for change. I hope he'll choose to step aside of his own accord. I also hope that once he steps aside, and preferably still alive, we name some notable facilities after him.

With regard to HDN, he is as good a person as there has ever been. He is a native Arkansan with a deep love and commitment to Arkansas, and particularly the U. of A. When it was first announced that he was to become our new head coach I was elated. He was slated to become the great savior of a program that was struggling with frequent coaching changes. His first few years he brought an fresh new style of offense that was exciting. His pep rally's exhilarated players and fans alike. Nothing is more memorable than the lopsided thumping of Bummer in Fayetteville. But, again every dog has his day. HDN has been around long enough that every player is the product of his own recruiting. Every assistant coach is of his own choosing. He is totally responsible for the football program. HDN has done several things that have led to the recent uprising of anti-nuttisms. The fact that he wont hire an OC is one thing. How can a person perform at 100% capacity at what is two separate jobs. He can't. Something has to suffer. His playcalling is predictable. In most instances, I can predict the next play, and I can only imagine how well opposing teams can make the same predictions. I hear people say that he's had to move people around from one position to another to make the team work, and that is supposedly part of the reason the defense is lousy. They are his recruits. His coaches. In my business, we have to predict our personnel needs and go get them. We cant simply shuffle people around and expect the same or better efficiency. The Vandy game <ouch>. What can I say. We lose to Vandy at home. Some people are saying "But Vandy is good this year". I'll wait until the end of the season and we'll see. In my opinion, they're not that good...we're that bad. OK...on to So. Cal. Nobody in their right mind expected Arkansas  to win AT So. Cal. The defending two time National Champion, fully loaded with exceptional talent and at their home. It was a loss before the plane left Fayetteville. But, it shouldn't have been such a lopsided and embarrassing loss. The worst loss for the U of A in nearly a century.

I'm not one to advocate dumping HDN in midseason, but come Jan.1 he should be reading the classifieds. I honestly believe the JFB support statement is the kiss of death for HDN. I believe JFB has to support him to salvage what little we have left. I'm sure HDN is reading the writing on the wall, and hoping the Nebraska jet will make a return trip to Fayetteville at season's end. I can only hope we get Butch Davis before its too late.

BuschHawg

jkstock04

Very good points...and I agree with you on everything except about Nutts deep love and commitment to Arkansas....how can you say that when he left here to go to O.K. State in his playing days....or how about the LSU and Neb. stuff???
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BuschHawg

jk,

I can't argue your points. He certainly did transfer to OK St and entertain LSU and Neb.

Bacon,

You need to get an "Easy Button"... ;D...Thanks.

BuschHawg

BadNewsHog

Frank is old and has to be helped by nutt for making decisions

hamsam

September 23, 2005, 09:05:09 pm #33 Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 09:13:45 pm by hamsam
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on September 22, 2005, 10:08:51 pm
Quote from: hamsam on September 22, 2005, 09:37:39 pm

I'd say Tubberville handed us our head last year 38-20. How many games did he lose last year? Yeah, he's no good. For you to say Nutt is a good x's and o's coach I have to ask which Nutt are you talking about? The first two years, yes - he was. Other coaches players, though.

Chris Vaughn was the recruiting coordinator last year, true, but all accounts within the coaching staff have it that Nutt has taken that duty away from him. When asked directly about that last week he changed the subject. As far as lifers as assistants, of the 9 he has I only qualify two as potentially moving on, Wittke and Herring. The others are yes-men and will not cross Nutt. Let's name them - Markuson, Allen, Ealy, Rocker, Shibest, D. Nutt, and arguably Vaughn.

And as far as what we have to lose? Do you continue sending good money after bad? Our ship is going down with little hope in sight for me and a number of fans. You are talking about keeping him again next year. That means if he fails to win again next year (a distinct possibility when you look at our schedule) then it will be 2007 before we have a different coach and staff in place. You give a new coach 2 years before you expect them to win. That is 2009. This is 2005. You tell me what you have to lose. It's all about cutting your losses early on and going a new direction.

I don't believe in firing coaches mid-season - it fails by putting a new coach in an unwinnable situation, ruins recruiting and hurts player morale. At the end of this year, though, when we are 5-6 or 4-7 the Razorback nation will come unglued and fan support will dwindle. You will see empty seats next year. In fact, you'll see them this year.

Bacon out...
bacon,
tuberville is smart, i will give you that. he did not waste any time getting out of ole miss. for that alone he is smart. I never said he was no good.
He had four offensive coordinators in four years. All of which were forced on him by the big wigs at AU. Tuberville was all but fired at AU until the coach that the AU big wigs selected (bobby patrino) told them no. Do you remember that?
The fact that HDN used Fords players the first two years is true. He also used them the third and fourth year. What does any of that have to do with knowing x's and o's?

HDN has signed some highly recruited players that did not or have not panned out. eg, brashears(who knew that he would be a nut case, no pun) , peters, vaughn, batman was a dissapointment to me as well.

As far as the assistants go, would you agree that even if markuson, d. nutt and shiebest are yes men that they are doing a good job? The backs look really good, markuson has usually done very well with what always weems to be a very short list of O-linemen. The special teams have also looked good to me.(- the field goal kicker)

AS far as Allen goes, I am totally unimpressed. Same goes for Rocker. Don't know enough about Vaughn to have an opinion on him.