Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ellis Johnson New DC at Arkansas Per Sporting News and ESPN

Started by Van Boarisson, December 31, 2007, 10:30:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfansince79

All I have been hearing since BP was hired is how we have the money to pay for a big name coach, and what I'm saying is... this is it. 
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

notreseveredname

Quote from: FootballFanatic on December 31, 2007, 11:56:56 am
I know next year Johnson had plans on switching the MSU defense to a 3-4.
will probably depend a lot on what we have next year as far as DLs and LBs. 

Hogginitall

Quote from: BeoPig™ on December 31, 2007, 11:53:43 am
He did the same as Herring with Miss St talent.  Does that really make them equal?

And they actually beat Alabama and Auburn. 

p.s.  It wasn't because of their prolific offense.

Seconds

Quote from: fortcityhog on December 31, 2007, 11:56:16 am
1) already posted.
2) It's likely that Reggie has already shopped around and off the record committed to another program after Nutt resigned (Tex A&M?)
3) nobody from the hill has made this "OFFICIAL" yet. therefore its rumors and no disrespect to anyone.
4) if BP is suppose to annouce staff officially in a few days, is it wrong for him to be working NOW on putting that together?! c'mon ROD!!! wow.

If Hogville doesn't immediately send something to File 13, you just gotta know there's truth to it. Must be true cuz the thread got merged.
Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 20, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Seconds on December 31, 2007, 11:59:07 am

If Hogville doesn't immediately send something to File 13, you just gotta know there's truth to it. Must be true cuz the thread got merged.

Wrong.

sevenhogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 31, 2007, 11:55:54 am
Here is the point I believe you are missing.

Many fans are tired of being negative. Period.

It isn't much of a stretch to say that if Bobby Petrino came out Wednesday and announced that he was hiring the 7th grade coach from Glen Rose Junior High as our defensive coordinator many fans, including me, would say, "Whooo hooo! That's a helluva hire, baby!"   

To get away from the exagerration, I'll simply say this: I don't much care who Bobby Petrino hires. After what we've been through if they're good enough for him, I'm damn sure not going to complain.

Agree +++++

Big Daddy

hawgwash

Keep in mind MSU hasn't been very good on offense. That negatively impacts your defense, especoially the scoring average.

Nashville Fan

December 31, 2007, 12:09:00 pm #108 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:20:23 pm by Nashville Fan
Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on December 31, 2007, 10:41:17 am
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=354
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=67604&sport=1
He was recruiting Larry Ford 4 star DE from KS. Solid verbal for WV. Wonder if that will change. Lists that he is interested in AR. Hmmmmmmmm.

http://mississippistate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=70375

Antonio Hoskins 2 star OLB also listed AR.
Pittman or Bust!

BradyHolzhauer

He looks solid, but when I looked at his picture on the FIRST GLANCE I had to double take because I saw Rick Schaeffer. hahaha...
Hope he's the guy, I know MSSTATE has had a good D the past few years.
http://www.mstateathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90894&SPID=10997&DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=931605&Q_SEASON=2007

MuskogeeHogFan

December 31, 2007, 12:18:10 pm #110 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:19:58 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Van Boarisson on December 31, 2007, 10:30:21 am
It appears we just hired Ellis Johnson from Miss. St.

No link- sporting news is reporting it.

GO HOGS GO

He held UCF to 219 total yards in their bowl game and that is pretty doggone good.
Go Hogs Go!

hogfansince79

This is to all of you that tried to tell me that this is a good hire... especially hog_fan.

First off, I apologize.  If I would have kept reading, I would have found this...

"Prior to his head coaching responsibilities at The Citadel, Johnson was defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach at Alabama from 1997-2000. During that four-year stay in Tuscaloosa, the Crimson Tide finished the 1999 season 10-3, won the Southeastern Conference championship over Florida 34-7 in the league title game, and earned a berth in the 2000 Orange Bowl. That team had the nation's second-best rushing defense, a unit that ranked ninth nationally in total defense."

That's all I was after.  What he did at Miss. St. didn't impress me (whew... we don't want to go there again).

Again, when I'm wrong... I raise my hand and admit it, and apologize.

I'm sorry!!!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Razorback Jedi

is there any connection that Petrino has with him?

hogfansince79

spudhog

solid hire. he know's the sec west well. he also know's how to be be competitive without having 5 star athletes. should be a good fit

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: spudhog on December 31, 2007, 12:26:27 pm
solid hire. he know's the sec west well. he also know's how to be be competitive without having 5 star athletes. should be a good fit

Helps open recruiting in Mississippi too.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogg_Phan

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 31, 2007, 11:51:10 am
Wow, I didn't know Kirk was coaching.

Who is "CH?"

The Botkin File
Recruiting Area: Southeast and East Texas
Birthdate: March 19, 1971
Hometown: Baytown, Texas
High School: Robert E. Lee High School, 1989
College: University of Arkansas, 1994 - B.S. - Education
Playing Experience: Arkansas (TE - 1990-93); New Orleans Saints (TE - 1994-95); Pittsburgh Steelers (TE - 1996-98)
Coaching Experience: Robert E. Lee High School Assistant Coach (1999); Rice Graduate Assistant Coach (Tight Ends - 2000); Jacksonville State Assistant Coach (Tight Ends/Offensive Tackles - 2001-03; Linebackers/Special Teams Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach - 2004-05); ULM Assistant Coach (Linebackers/Special Teams Coordinator - 2006-present)

If this turns out to be true, looks like we have another recruiter with Arkansas and Texas ties.
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

chiefsfan

Quote from: Gonzo on December 31, 2007, 11:19:59 am
Looking at the stats from his years at MSU and a couple at Bama, looks like his defenses were fairly solid regarding yardage, but one troubling aspect was that his teams normally seem to rank much lower in points allowed than yards allowed. Seems like they tend to not let teams move the ball a great deal, but maybe struggle a bit with shutting teams down when in scoring opportunities. Might not really be anything, but I'd like it better if those numbers were reversed, kinda like some of the Hogs' classic bend-but-don't-break defenses of the past. If it is an issue, at least it looks like we have a good option in place on the other side of the ball. And, loooking at Petrino's teams over the years, his defenses look to have been better than he gets credit for. Guess we'll start seeing in about 8 months.

Go Hogs! Beat Mizzou!

I do wonder how many of those points a game are given up because of how bad MSU's offense is.  They battled poor field position and turnovers a ton because of that offense
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hog_fan

http://djbulldogs.wordpress.com/

Croom confirmed it. Started a new thread since it is confirmed.

hog_fan

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:47:55 am
You guys are missing my point... if you want a name... i don't know ... how about the louisville staff when bp was there or english or... i don't know... the point is why is everyone so happy to get someone that is (IMO) equal to herring?

Louisville???

You realize how bad their defense was under Petrino right?
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Table Rocker

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:52:17 am
whatever

football knowledge:

petrino > you

i'll trust him on this hire thanks.

TMooney

MS State sounds devastated in my readings .
They think he walks on water .

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 31, 2007, 11:28:51 am
I know the name Ellis Johnson, but I don't know too much about his schemes and defensive philosophy.

What I do know is that he has coordinated defenses for Gene Stallings and Sylvester Croom, and I consider them both to be outstanding football coaches. Alabama under Stallings particularly had a reputation for a rock-solid defense. If Ellis Johnson can coordinate defenses for them, he can certainly coordinate them at UA. Their endorsement is good enough for me.  

Thanks.  At least you made an attempt to answer my questions.

While the bottom line is that we all want a good DC regardless the style he uses, as a lover of the "D" over the "O", I hope it is an aggressive, take it to 'em style.

Again, if anyone is reading this and has seen enough MSU games to have a decent handle on how he schemes, etc., I would appreciate it.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

TMooney

Guys , united we stand . We hired a leader . Thats what hes doing .
Lets let him lead us into battle .

hog_fan

3kgthog

Why all the "poor Reggie" talk? You're nuts if you don't think there was some truth in the rumors about him being headed to aTm. He'll be in College Station by the end of the week despite his coachspeak of a few days ago.

hog_fan

Reggie Herring will be fine.

hogfansince79

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 31, 2007, 12:37:50 pm
Louisville???

You realize how bad their defense was under Petrino right?
Not to beat a dead horse or nothing...

Louisville on left... Arkansas on right

yr    pts/g   yds/g             pts/g   yds/g

03    26.0   414.6      -       24.3   338.8
04    17.8   307.9      -       24.5   397.2
05    22.7   318.0      -       24.6   341.9
06    16.6   315.3      -       18.4   307.2

DooDahman

hog_fan

79 get over it. Be confident for once and support Petrino until he gives us reason not to. So far he has done nothing but good things. If this hires fails next season then bash them, but give the guy a chance.

hogfansince79

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 12:54:08 pm
79 get over it. Be confident for once and support Petrino until he gives us reason not to. So far he has done nothing but good things. If this hires fails next season then bash them, but give the guy a chance.

Hog_fan...  go back to page 3 and read Reply #116

Since 1894

I can't wait to hear him in person.

It was nice knowing you Reggie.

Is Johnson a good recruiter?
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

irishman

I don't watch enough Miss. St. football to have a valid opinion on this one but I do know they have had one of the better turnarounds over the last couple of seasons, It sounds like this fellow is one of the reasons for it. If not a "great" hire, at least a solid one

preach33

If this has been said, I apologize. But Ellis also shut down - for the most part - UCF Running back. He beat Kentucky, Alabama, and Auburn this year.

Ellis - may be the diamond in the rough when it comes to DC

hog_fan

Anyone know anything about the kirk guy from ulm being hired. Someone mentioned it earlier. He currently coaches LB's/Special teams but has coached TE's in the past.

http://www.ulmathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90587&SPID=10968&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=19000&ATCLID=1176948&Q_SEASON=2007

Hogaliciousness

One thing that is not being factored into the comparison is how bad the MSU offense is... all the three and outs = the defense is constantly on the field.  So it is obviously difficult to compare Herring (with our running attack) to Johnson (with no offense to speak of).  

When Petrino says were going to stop the run and attack the QB, seems like a pretty good fit.  I am still praying for some very gifted DBs...
I am ready for some football!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: JIHawg on December 31, 2007, 10:54:22 am
That's what we need to know-is he a good recruiter?  What's his territory?

I believe on most staffs the Coordinators are brought in as "closers", as opposed to being one of the guys that beat the bushes looking for/at potential prospects.  I doubt there are very many BCS Coordinators that have an assigned territory.

jim hog

I hope he's an effective recruiter because the UofA needs to start capitalizing on recruiting potential.

Seconds

I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Seconds on December 31, 2007, 01:28:01 pm

CLAY HENRY

I hope Kirk will be on staff, but assurances from Clay Henry don't excite me.

Lanny

ha.......

Love the comments on that blog

farley662 Says:

December 31, 2007 at 10:56 am
Slimy little SOB! Maybe we can have Woody run the defense as well since he does such a good job of keeping us out of the endzone.

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Seconds

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 31, 2007, 01:29:40 pm
I hope Kirk will be on staff, but assurances from Clay Henry don't excite me.

That's not the only place I have heard it from, Wilson. A source in the BAC says highly probable, fwiw.

hog_fan

If Kirk comes in I bet aleast one atlanta guy is out. Could be Nix is out. He was likely TE coach

booogaga

just said it on espn. who the hell is he?
GO HOGS!

The_Champ

"oƃ sƃoɥ oƃ ¡ǝıooos ƃıd oooʍ

"If I could rest anywhere, it would be in Arkansas, where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grows nowhere else on the face of the universal earth."

It's not about the Xs and Os; it's about the Jimmys and the Joes.

hog_fan

Petrino might as well go ahead and announce it. It has gotten out. I suspect he waits until Jan 2nd.

WilsonHog

Quote from: booogaga on December 31, 2007, 02:14:05 pm
just said it on espn. who the hell is he?

He was the DC at Mississippi State.

There is a five-page thread down the board.

hog_fan

Quote from: The_Champ on December 31, 2007, 02:14:36 pm
exactly

The guy that shut down d-mac in 2006 and showed other teams how to do it.