Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Since when does a 3 star decommitment from Arkansas make headlines on ESPN?

Started by DukeOfPork, December 18, 2007, 10:31:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeOfPork

I'm not a conspiracy theorist - I just don't care to see our fanbase mimick paranoid Bama fans.

But I flipped on College Football Live when I got home from work and they were discussing at length the Okpara decommitment.  They not only quoted him, but they put the words up on the screen so that you could read them as well.

It was as if the Okpara quote was vitally important to all college football fans.

Since when have they given a crap about Arkansas football?  I've never seen this kind of coverage of our program.  And to top it off, Okapara is a freakin' 3 star recruit.  It's not as though he was Mitch Mustain or DMac.

They truly are determined to make an example of Petrino...

Sao Ming

OKCHogFan

It's like ESPN does not want Arkansas Football to rise to the upper echelon.  Screw them... we are on the way!

aar0n

We will probably be under the spotlight for a little while longer, then sink back into the crowd like everyone else.  Of course, everything will get re-hashed at the beginning of next season, until we win a few games. 

SuthrnFballer15

Controversy sells is all I can say........and they are good at beating a dead horse. We will hear about Mitchell Report for weeks and weeks and weeks.
"If you're attitude is 'I was good yesterday,' you can't do that at Arkansas. Whoever your opponent is, it's a big game. Everything is up for grabs." - Coach Pelphrey

"I'm not really good at being a shifty kind of guy who likes to make moves -- I like to be a straight-line guy and run over somebody if I can."
-Peyton Hillis

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Soooie21

Sao Ming

Quote from: alnaar0n on December 18, 2007, 10:44:33 pm
We will probably be under the spotlight for a little while longer, then sink back into the crowd like everyone else.  Of course, everything will get re-hashed at the beginning of next season, until we win a few games. 

No.  No we won't.   You are thinking short-term.  Think long-term.  These are the a**hats who affect national voting patterns for not only weekly polls but player awards, TV appearances and on and on.  The off-season means nothing.  Wait until August and September.  The nation (and it's kids) will be once again reminded of what transpired. 

It may even make Deadspin.

Sao Ming

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 18, 2007, 10:48:37 pm
Yes, I still think the "ESPN hates Arkansas" mindset is laughable. I still think coming up with conspiracy theories involving Arthur Blank, Home Depot and ESPN is silly.

Scott, it's not going to vanish.  There is something afoot here.  I'm not calling you out as much as hoping something can be done about it...or written.  Something.  Anything.

Albert Einswine

Yes, I still think the "ESPN hates Arkansas" mindset is laughable. I still think coming up with conspiracy theories involving Arthur Blank, Home Depot and ESPN is silly.

Well Scott,  where is the outcry at ESPN against Rich Rodriguez and Meechigan for his turncoat ways?

Last season he balked on Bama and signed an extension with his alma mater pledging his undying love for them.

This year he walks out on his team before their big bowl game and all is hunky dory with the spinmeisters at ESPN.

Why the difference in coverage of the two situations?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

The_Bionic_Pig

Did you see how much coverage Alabama got early this year after beind destroyed by ESPN last year....Their head coach was on tv more than the players in the first naionally televised game because it looked weired to see Nick Sabin on the sidelines decked out in all that Alabama Garb.....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

DukeOfPork

No, I'm not going for the "ESPN hates Arkansas" angle on this.  But I'm convinced that there is a groupthink thing going on at ESPN concerning their coverage of Petrino.

BP deserves some criticism. 

But I am SHOCKED that Rich Rodriguez is totally getting a pass after taking the Bama job, going back and professing his love for his alma mater, and then leaving them less than a year later before their BCS game.

The venom for Petrino is really very surprising to me.

intoxhog

Really?

Ive never in my life seen a full out attack on a university like we have gotten this week. Please Scott, tell me when you have heard talking heads go on ESPN and actually tell potential recruits not to come to a particular university?

When?

We just crossed into new ground this week; a dangers place actually!
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

hogginbama

Wow, if only the networks could have given a crap about the real reason other players left Arkansas.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Demaghog

When we fired Nutt, the popular thing for people to say was something to the effect of "Arkansas doesn't know their place."  That was happening even before ESPN started to say it. 

That is just how the nation overall feels about Arkansas.  ESPN is just fanning the flames, saying what people want to hear, what they already agree with.  It's just too easy, it doesn't matter what the facts are.

The fact that we are in a coaching transition period is the main reason we might lose some recruits, not the details of Petrino's exit from the Falcons.

Sao Ming

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 18, 2007, 11:01:58 pm

Sao, you're right the idiotic conspiracy theories won't vanish. Not until Arkansans shake that inferiority complex that seems to be imbedded in everybody.

So it's our low self-esteem that is the issue and not what we are pervasively witnessing on TV outlets...one week later.  Interesting.

Why doesn't this bother you?  Just wondering. 

intoxhog

Quote from: Sao Ming on December 18, 2007, 11:12:05 pm
So it's our low self-esteem that is the issue and not what we are pervasively witnessing on TV outlets...one week later.  Interesting.

Why doesn't this bother you?  Just wondering. 

Hell yes, Its disturbing whats going on right now.

Sleep children please sleep, and drink the kool aid too......................................
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

Wash Hogwallop

Quote from: PorkPariah on December 18, 2007, 10:58:55 pm
No, I'm not going for the "ESPN hates Arkansas" angle on this.  But I'm convinced that there is a groupthink thing going on at ESPN concerning their coverage of Petrino.

BP deserves some criticism. 

But I am SHOCKED that Rich Rodriguez is totally getting a pass after taking the Bama job, going back and professing his love for his alma mater, and then leaving them less than a year later before their BCS game.

The venom for Petrino is really very surprising to me.

You should not be shocked.  ESPN loves the Big Ten . . . ESPECIALLY Michigan.  Arkansas has not had great success with the Big 10 in the recent past.  You know ESPN members loves the fact an SEC team loses to the Big Ten.  Petrino's hire signifies an end to this trend.  It strengthens the SEC more.  They do not like this.

Dr Swineglove

So then what's your take on why this negativitiy crap is not settling down yet?  In the last week we lost a three star, and gained a three star.  Yet ESPN is cackling like old crones about how they've jacked Bobby Petrino's recruiting class.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

intoxhog

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on December 18, 2007, 11:24:16 pm
So then what's your take on this negativitiy crap is not settling down yet?  In the last week we lost a three star,
and gained a three star.  Yet ESPN is cackling like old crones about how they've jacked Bobby Petrino's recruiting class.
thank you,,, thats what i was thinking as well. Why hasn't this died down yet???? HMMMM because maybe "the home depot college game day" sponer is still pissed. Just saying!

Hoggish1

They seem to be trying to do so.  But it will backfire on them.  The more they do it the better it is for us and the more it helps BP to realize what a good decision he made coming to us.

intoxhog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 18, 2007, 11:26:00 pm
Because I think some (key word there "some") of the criticism of Petrino is justified. He didn't handle his exit from Atlanta very well.

Plus, I realize ESPN sells bluster and blowhards. Most days, you'll see more pontificating and arguing on ESPN than you'll see actual sporting events or highlights of actual sporting events. Getting worked up over something that's said on ESPN is akin to getting worked up over something said on a political shoutfest or The View or Larry King or Nancy Grace.

But scott its a week later an ESPN is still sounding the trumpit. If B.P. is here 4 years from now is ESPN still going to be calling him a snake in the grass?? i guess it all depends if Arthur Blank is still pissed or not or if Lowes desidies to sponser college gameday.

TheGunther

The reason this makes big news is because this is ESPN trying to prove this was a bad move for him to Arkansas and that they were right.  They will make Arkansas still look bad because even WITH Petrino we couldn't land this guy.   Although, we will most likely land better guys because of this and we will weed out the worse talent that nutt wanted.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 18, 2007, 11:28:22 pm
They seem to be trying to do so.  But it will backfire on them.  The more they do it the better it is for us and the more it helps BP to realize what a good decision he made coming to us.

I think you're on to something...  All this negativity ought to help ensure CBP sticks around for a while - if he even thinks about talking to another program three - four years from now, ESPiN would crucify him.

Personally, I'd like to see the state media firing back in defense of our coach.

On a side note, I think this episode disproves some of the old darksider conspiracy theories about the BAC controlling the media.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

mj4president

Yea I totally agree. I couldn't believe they posted that crap on ESPN. So they goin to announce every player that changes his committment. I could understand I guess if he was a 5 star but he isnt. ESPN has been pissing me off.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

chirohog75

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 18, 2007, 11:01:58 pm
Sao, you're right the idiotic conspiracy theories won't vanish. Not until Arkansans shake that inferiority complex that seems to be imbedded in everybody.

Albert, the difference in coverage is because they are different situations. Who did most of the criticizing of Petrino? The NFL guys, not the college guys, at ESPN, FoxSports and SI. They don't have an interest in Rodriguez because he's going from one college to the other. But RR has taken some shots. I'm sure the Michigan version of Hogville has a thread about all the media haters ripping Rodriguez.

Scott, have you watched College Football Live lately?  If you have then you cetainly can not believe that it is just the NFL guys leading the propaganda.  I have yet to see 8 minutes out of a 21 minute program devoted to negativity about Rodriguez and the University of Michigan.  I know these guys are just airing what they think people want to watch, but the disparity between the coverage of the two situations is blatant. 

When I see an on air personality on ESPN discourage a Michigan recruit from attending UM because RR will just bail on them before the biggest game in their life, I'll change my opinion on the matter.  While I don't buy into any conspiracy theory; for some reason (viewers per state) ESPN has decided that bashing Arkansas will please more viewers than criticizing RR and Michigan.

Scott, you actually talked me out of contacting ESPN the other day regarding this.  However, I changed my mind when they thought it was worthy of 10% of the airtime on CFL today to report that a 3 star recruit decommitted from the U of A.  I didn't threaten boycott or call anyone names.  I just stated the facts and complained about their coverage.  The crazy thing is that Houston Nutt did more to hurt recruiting that wasn't reported on ESPN than the current defamation campaign that ESPN has been running for a week now.

Sao Ming

Because I think some (key word there "some") of the criticism of Petrino is justified. He didn't handle his exit from Atlanta very well.

Plus, I realize ESPN sells bluster and blowhards. Most days, you'll see more pontificating and arguing on ESPN than you'll see actual sporting events or highlights of actual sporting events. Getting worked up over something that's said on ESPN is akin to getting worked up over something said on a political shoutfest or The View or Larry King or Nancy Grace.

Of course he deserves some finger pointing.  But this much?  Have you yet to hear how RR resigned?  Do YOU know?  Have you heard how a WVU GA delivered the resignation letter to the AD's office that was conveniently written to include a January 3rd, 2008 effective date?  How do you feel about that relevent to BP's little player letter?  Think Desmond Howard (UM) or Bill Parcells (being courted by Art Blank for VP of F.O.) will run with that one?

And to address your Larry King points.  You've asked why Fox, CNNSi etc have also joined the party.  Well, isn't it like Larry King and Nancy Grace? 

If Larry King gets double digit ratings by having Howard K Stern on -or- coming to us liiiiive from Aruba where a missing blonde teen was last seen, don't you expect to turn the channel and see the same from Grace or Van Susteran?  Sure you do.  If it bleeds it leads.  And if CNN (ESPN) runs it, then it must be OK for Fox (FoxSW/CNNSi) to do the same.

cthog99

where was the coverage when mitch, damian, and others left because of the head coach?

Sao Ming

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 18, 2007, 11:51:09 pm
Again, that goes back to ESPN promoting bluster and blowhards.

Here's an idea.

ALL NWA/LR/ARK media who will be present in Dallas next week:

Call upon your peers in the DALLAS market and ask for a sit down.  Blackistone and Callishaw routinely make appearances on Around The Horn and as all ESPN magpies have done, so too have they done...bag Arkansas mercilessly. 

Talk to them.  Get in their heads.  Do some footwork.

Dallas is a long way from Bristol is it not?  Surely Dallas media types will be candid as to why there is such an outcry from ESPN/FOX et al. 

BTW...when you talk to them ask why they (Callishaw/Blackistone) do not write about Petrino on a daily basis.  Then ask why ESPN continues to do so and why THEY have to field questions regarding a subject they don't even touch anymore in DMN print.

I hope you guys take this opportunity as it would be enlightening to your Arkansas readers back home.

lunchbox72703

Ralph Waldo Emerson once put so elequently...

"Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of every one of its members. The virtue in most request is conformity. Self-reliance is its aversion. It loves not realities and creators, but names and customs."

Break this quote down......

"Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of every one of its members."

Would it be not fair to assume that you, as a sports writer, would be trying to "scoop" your fellow competitor by providing to the public a far better detailed, informative story?  Yet, the better question may be, are you infact being conspitatorial against another man or agency for the betterment of yourself, and by doing so providing a better product in your paper than the competition may provide?  Conspiracy....maybe?

"The virtue in most request is conformity."

This simple statement applies heavily to ESPN itself, as well as the other television and writing sports staffs below it.  They infer that we, the public, should hold what they say as LAW.  The public is treated as if they were moronic fans who have no knowledge of the game other than an obsession with blinking lights, cool in-game graphics, and a quacking duck who offers us trivia questions...even though we all know that the correct answer is one of the teams currently playing before our very own eyes.  It's ridiculous!!!!  But, still, they demand that we tow the line and believe every word they say...conveniently forgetting that they have to get paid somehow (usually through corporate sponsors).  Forgive me if I question the hand that builds "Game-Day" might also pay the owner of our current coach's former team.

"Self-reliance is its aversion. It loves not realities and creators, but names and customs."

Should this line not speak most to you after enduring the hell that was the past two and half years?  Arkansas fans are not splitting anymore.  We are pulling together!!!  Sure, the nation's leading sports entertaiments group, a bunch of overly paid football losers (both football record and socially), and other opinions are bashing us for their own gain.  They have to.  They have to retaliate because the peasant team which is Arkansas showed up the king of Sports, ESPN.  Arkansas is in the process of "Self-Reliance."  We are pulling ourselves inward and making ourselves stronger!!!.  We Love not the realities of the BS we see in the day to day of the national media, or its creators such as Cowherd, Salsbury, and such...but the we love the names, Petrino and company, and their customs, the passing game and a drive for success.  That is the Arkansas Razorbacks, forever trying to better ourselves against the grain of what the rest of the nation thinks.  Come Home Scott, I beg of you.  Come Home and open your eyes to the world as the rest of us common fans see it.   

Golfer

Quote from: Sao Ming on December 18, 2007, 10:38:49 pm
Wonder if Faldon still thinks it's no big deal.

If it is negative about the U of A. Faldon will find glory in it. lol

Sao Ming

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 18, 2007, 11:58:52 pm
Yes, I've read all about Rodriguez's exit from WVA. He's certainly deserving of criticism for the way he's gone about it.

But I still think the situations are different enough that you can't compare Petrino to Rodriguez.

Well that's true.  I mean, ripping the fragile little hearts out of grown NFL men is horrible compared to lying to a 17 year old and his mommy last week.

pignatious

My opinion of this is that the NFL is pissed that a college program came in and took a coach before the season was over. They are using their influence through the media to trash Arkansas as much as possible to make an example out of them. The NFL is the biggest moneymaker for ESPN and Fox and those are the guys screaming the loudest. The NFL is using this situation to let other universities know that they can not hire their coaches without severe consequences. Several different sports personalities telling recruits not to come to Arkansas is completely unprecedented and I believe organized. 
Freedom is never free.

Wild Bill Hog

Scott, when can you remember a 3 Star recruit being featured on a "news" segment of ESPN?  And more specifically, when his quote was put up on the screen?

Hogginitall

BUT, it still influences recruits, which ultimately will effect our program negatively!  No matter if they're blowhards, idiots, experts, has-beens, etc.  They ALL influence most 18 year old kids.  So, I don't know what your point is.  Tonight is the first time EVER that I have seen ESPN talk about a 3 star recruit that decommitted after a coaching change.  And you don't think the coverage that they had of this kid will make other recruits think, "maybe I should look somewhere else, just to make sure...."?

I think it's less about us being conspiracy theorists and more about you being somewhat naiive.

pumphog

When Keith Olberman on names Petrino ( WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD ) on his nightly show then we'll know for sure that the conspiracy is on.

cthog99

right before they went to commercial, they talked about a recruit backing out, and i knew without even seeing it that they were going to bash petrino, say this is the 1st of many and not even mention about any recruits that have switched to arkansas

pumphog

When Keith Olberman names.      Sorry about that, it's late and my glasses are at the shop.

FL_Hog_Fan

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 18, 2007, 11:58:52 pm
Yes, I've read all about Rodriguez's exit from WVA. He's certainly deserving of criticism for the way he's gone about it.

But I still think the situations are different enough that you can't compare Petrino to Rodriguez.
It's not about comparing Petrino to Rodriguez; it's about comparing the coverage of the situations.  I have to lump Saban into this, because he has been treated similarly.  Rodriguez has done all the things that Saban and Petrino did, except that he left a collage and they left the NFL.  Sorry, that's not enough to justify the differing response.  They get onto Petrino for having 3 jobs within a year.  RR agreed to take the Alabama job, then bolted a year later to Michigan.  Saban said he wouldn't be coaching Alabama; RR said he wouldn't be leaving.  Those are the two things that they are criticized the most for, and RR did both.  You can't look at the coverage on ESpin and not see a bias.  It's like watching Fox News.
What were we arguing about anyway?

cthog99

i remember the media gave saban crap last year for going, but i do not ever recall anyone telling recruits to stay away from alabama. all i remember hearing is that in a couple of years saban will have recruits coming back and making alabama a top program again

Hogginitall

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 19, 2007, 12:27:38 am
I don't, but that doesn't mean there's a conspiracy afoot to attack Arkansas at every turn.

It might be as simple as the producers of College Football Live scanning the Web looking for items to fill a show and stumbling across the Democrat-Gazette's story about it.

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to see it.  It is blatant.  It is ongoing (a full week later).  It is different from anything I've ever seen, regarding college football coverage.

If you can't see it, you're blind.

pumphog

I thought it would stop with the Mitchell report on baseball coming out but it's still there tonight.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 19, 2007, 12:27:38 am
I don't, but that doesn't mean there's a conspiracy afoot to attack Arkansas at every turn.

It might be as simple as the producers of College Football Live scanning the Web looking for items to fill a show and stumbling across the Democrat-Gazette's story about it.

I don't see it as a conspiracy to attack Arkansas as such.  What I do see is a concerted effort to persecute Petrino, coupled with a level of sympathy for Nutt because of what they see as unfair treatment of him by Hog fans.  The only mechanism - or at least what they see as the best mechanism - is to attack the U of A athletic program and they are doing it at every turn.

Sao Ming

I don't live in AR so I don't know how many articles have been written comparing the two situations (RR / BP).  Side by side.  Have there been any?

Antsy

If yall think Scott and his light weight media brethren from Arkansas are going to stand
up to the big boys like ESPN and Fox...well don't hold your breath. Their not about to dip
their little toes into that shark tank. Easier for them to just bow their heads and agree with
the big time sports reporters. But they have the right to set back and keep their mouths
shut. It's cowardly but it's their right. Whats unacceptable and more cowardly if for them
NOT call out ESPN and the others when they tell Arkansas recruits not to come to the
Uof A.

PORKER1

It's like ESPN is trying to sabotage our program. Their going after our recruits, which will effect BP coaching. Their wanting him to fail.

Antsy

Quote from: Sao Ming on December 19, 2007, 12:48:33 am

I don't live in AR so I don't know how many articles have been written comparing the two situations (RR / BP).  Side by side.  Have there been any?

Nationally there has been quite a few written. RR always get a pass and BP get tarred and
feathered.

keepitreal

Many is an understatment...just turn on  ESPN they can't help themselves apparently. We know for a fact because it gets plastered all over our local press and television. What blows my mind is the fact that RR is apparently going to sue his home university after ditching before a bowl game and they can't find nothing wrong to chew but o lord they can tare Coach P to shreds in a heart beat. It figures though ESPN just keeps showing their true colors over and over again. I have yet to figure out what we have done to them that was so bad for them to trash us on such a consistent bases. How obviously classless can you be? I so hole heartdly wish that a new sports company would take afoot and kick ESPN where it hurts. They have no competition so they do as they please it's absolutely appauling. They are like the Hitler of sports journalism...if you even want to call it that. They spend all this time bad mouthing, calling names, and trashing people ...how hypocritical can they blatantly be? How is trashing us and Coach P. any better than coach P. leaving the falcons who at least was at least honest with Blank from the get go about his loss of heart in atlanta. I can completely understand why he'd want to leave...it was no longer about football but a never ending soap opera.  :razorback:
Peace & God Bless!! Go Razorbacks!!

tkhog

I for one, don't have a problem with ESPN. They can say what they want about who they want, and they have that right just the same as I do. As for the Hiesman, Tebow earned it.

Sao Ming

Quote from: RLMJ on December 19, 2007, 12:52:37 am
Nationally there has been quite a few written. RR always get a pass and BP get tarred and
feathered.

But I mean locally, meaning the Demozette, etc. 

pignatious

Quote from: tkhog on December 19, 2007, 01:03:54 am
I for one, don't have a problem with ESPN. They can say what they want about who they want, and they have that right just the same as I do. As for the Hiesman, Tebow earned it.

It is America and everyone is entitled to their opinion..no matter how wrong it is.
Freedom is never free.