Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn on short list to replace Cutcliff at Tennessee.....

Started by Houston h, December 15, 2007, 10:57:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrigley_crush

I like Gus, but you are ruining his name by constantly claiming he's about to hired at X school. This will be about 10 jobs so far that he's been passed over on according to you insiders.
"You should probably take just about everything i say to you as an insult!"

Tusks

guys the hogs don't play TN for 4 more years....if he takes the OC job at TN he'll be gone to a HC position at another school to get his HC experience before the hogs ever play a TN.....so you won't see a gus vs. the hogs....

dont let any facts get in the way of a good rumor and speculation.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

owl

Quote from: Wrigley_crush on December 15, 2007, 02:09:16 pm
I like Gus, but you are ruining his name by constantly claiming he's about to hired at X school. This will be about 10 jobs so far that he's been passed over on according to you insiders.

I believe you are WAY overrating  the influence of this Board, IMO
OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

AnthroHog

December 15, 2007, 02:21:31 pm #53 Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:25:10 pm by AnthroHog
Quote from: nutted on December 15, 2007, 02:17:42 pm
guys the hogs don't play TN for 4 more years....if he takes the OC job at TN he'll be gone to a HC position at another school to get his HC experience before the hogs ever play a TN.....so you won't see a gus vs. the hogs....

dont let any facts get in the way of a good rumor and speculation.

Only way we see Gus at Tennessee is if we're both in the SEC championship game. That is a possibility seeing as he's gotten to a conference championship game both years he's been an offensive coordinator.

Cresthog

I hope Gus gets the Tennessee job. I want to see him succeed.

bcshog

That would be bad for us if Fat Phil got fired or retired in a few years and Gus took over as the Head Man.  I do however feel safer now that we have a spread offense minded coach like Petrino.  When he leaves I really hope Gus is ready and willing to take over as our HC.

owl

Quote from: AnthroHog on December 15, 2007, 02:21:31 pm
Only way we see Gus at Tennessee is if we're both in the SEC championship game.

Think JFB would order us to forfeit?

Cavehog

If you never streaked down Sorority Row, caught the Bud Man twice in one night, or threw a pitcher of beer under the table when ABC came into the Hog Trough . . . you're just a wannabe.

Tusks

Quote from: AnthroHog on December 15, 2007, 02:21:31 pm
Only way we see Gus at Tennessee is if we're both in the SEC championship game.

TN has never been the same since the top recruiter in the SEC, cant remember his name, was hired away from TN to GA by Donnan and is still on staff at GA under Ritch.

And I don't think they will ever be the same again...with or without Gus.

But you're correct.....Gus could get TN to the SECCG and play the Hogs....which I think would be awesome.....BP against Gus.....great matchup....but like I said....Gus is on his way to being a HC and then someday the HC of the hogs.....someday.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

SlopThatPig!

Golfer

Quote from: mj4president on December 15, 2007, 01:19:59 pm
He is a young BP without the questions of his loyalty or character. That makes for one hell of coach. He doesn't have the big name power right now though that BP does.

Hasn't he changed jobs more often than BP the last three years?  Is that loyalty???

grayhawg

Quote from: centarkswine on December 15, 2007, 01:33:22 pm
I just don't see Gus leaving an OC position for another OC position.
here is why I think Gus only leaves for a HC position.
2005 HC Springdale School
2006 OC U of A
2007 Co OC and Asst Hc at Tulsa
One more move without being a headcoach, Hc in High school to 1 year at Ar, 1 year at Tulsa a new job every year and it hurts his Reputation. I know, Petrino 3 jobs in 11 months, but He is a proven HC. All of us know how good Gus is but moving every year will not get him a HC job at a BCS school.

Houston h

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on December 15, 2007, 01:57:21 pm
YOU DO NOT WANT GUS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE - and it has nothing to do with Offensive Schemes but rather he would be a serious threat to dip into this state and steal a highly rated recruit or two.   You thought Coach Fulmer was a presence in Eastern Arkansas ....OMGoodness if he hired Gus!!!

Whether it's UT or another BCS school, Gus is going bigtime in the next year or so.  I think he is waiting for just the right opportunity, he wants full control over his offense and with that, he will leave Tulsa for a BCS school.  I think it will be in the Big 12 personally, Oklahoma State or Texas A&M are strong possibilities, but don't be surprised if TT or PP go get him.

owl

Quote from: grayhawg on December 15, 2007, 02:31:25 pm
her is why I think Gus only leaves for a HC position.
2006 OC U of A
One more move without being a headcoach, Hc in High school to 1 year at Ar, 1 year at Tulsa a new job every year and it hurts his Reputation. I know, Petrino 3 jobs in 11 months, but He is a proven HC. All of us know how good Gus is but moving every year will not get him a HC job at a BCS school.

I disagree.That would be the operational definition of fast tracking IMO

AnthroHog

Quote from: nutted on December 15, 2007, 02:26:42 pm
TN has never been the same since the top recruiter in the SEC, cant remember his name, was hired away from TN to GA by Donnan and is still on staff at GA under Ritch.

And I don't think they will ever be the same again...with or without Gus.

But you're correct.....Gus could get TN to the SECCG and play the Hogs....which I think would be awesome.....BP against Gus.....great matchup....but like I said....Gus is on his way to being a HC and then someday the HC of the hogs.....someday.

Only reason I think that they could make it to the championship game is Tennessee got there this year.  Last year, they had the third best recruiting class according to Rivals, so they're going to have talent and with Gus as OC without getting blocked by his coach on what he gets to called could be a lethal combination.

GWFan

Quote from: Golfer on December 15, 2007, 02:29:07 pm
Hasn't he changed jobs more often than BP the last three years?  Is that loyalty???
You don't like Petrino?

mj4president

No way it hurts Gus' rep if he leaves for Tennesse are you serious? No one in the nation will be interviewing him and say "Oh I see you left Tulsa for Tennessee, I can't believe that." "We don't know why you you leave Tulsa for a traditional power" "Unreal"
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

TNhogfan

Quote from: Houston h on December 15, 2007, 10:57:22 am
As reported this morning on a Knoxville radio show.  I've been saying this for weeks, someone big is going to snatch this guy up and we are all going to suffer the consequences for it.  Can you imagine Gus running his offense at Tennessee with the wealth of talent they have?  Wow!
Which show?  If it was Saturday Sports Talk on Sports Animal, then perhaps since they are UT's sunshine station.  If it was Brock, Beano and Philly on Basillio's station, then doubtful since they are a bunch of clowns with Basillio being the biggest and Philadelphia not far behind.  News Sentinnel Sports Page was pushing it yesterday, but a former Vol on the same show was making fun of the sportswriters for wanting Gus and said it would never happen at UT.

grayhawg

Quote from: mj4president on December 15, 2007, 03:27:58 pm
No way it hurts Gus' rep if he leaves for Tennesse are you serious? No one in the nation will be interviewing him and say "Oh I see you left Tulsa for Tennessee, I can't believe that." "We don't know why you you leave Tulsa for a traditional power" "Unreal"
Phat Phil was one loss from being gone last year,David Cutcliff sees the handwriting on the wall, Fulmer is more than likley history after next year, Gus is not going to Tenn.

JimmyHawg79

I hate to say this but we messed up not hiring Gus as Head coach. He would have been embraced by all and led us to greatness. Now we have an embattled coach who is getting blasted heavily by the media and former team members. Like Joey Harrington for example: "...for him to turn his back on us at this point in the year when things are probably the toughest, it's cowardly. To duck out the back door at night and then leave us a letter, that's not what a man does." Our head coach is being labeled a coward. We wouldn't have read this kind of stuff if Gus was our man.

LAHOGG

Your right!  We actually wouldn't of heard anything at all from the National media.  It would of been one of those messages that runs across the bottom of Espn during the Bowling championships at 2a.m.  The negativity will be long gone before next year starts.   You need to do yourself a favor and quit thinking too much.

Quote from: JimmyHawg79 on December 15, 2007, 09:28:58 pm
I hate to say this but we messed up not hiring Gus as Head coach. He would have been embraced by all and led us to greatness. Now we have an embattled coach who is getting blasted heavily by the media and former team members. Like Joey Harrington for example: "...for him to turn his back on us at this point in the year when things are probably the toughest, it's cowardly. To duck out the back door at night and then leave us a letter, that's not what a man does." Our head coach is being labeled a coward. We wouldn't have read this kind of stuff if Gus was our man.

Golfer

Quote from: GWFan on December 15, 2007, 03:24:40 pm
You don't like Petrino?

Yes, I do, but many are saying he isn't loyal because he has moved so many times. Just saying that the same could be applied to Gus.

oldfart

it is not uncommon among assistant coaches to move frequently as they "climb the ladder".  Big difference in OC position at Tulsa vs UT and everyone would or should agree to that....

Quote from: grayhawg on December 15, 2007, 02:31:25 pm
here is why I think Gus only leaves for a HC position.
2006 OC U of A

cardinalhawg

I do believe that Gus's best chance for a good head coaching position in college football would involve being successful as a coordinator at a major university.  However, it would also be helpful for him to stay in one position for a while, unless of course he is offered a head coaching position.  I do not know if wants to fall into the journeyman type of coach like John Thompson or even the way that Petrino is labeled.  Being at a school and and showing some long term recruiting and performance goes along way.

LRCentralTiger

It would look great on his resume when he applies for the Arkansas job in a few years.

corpitguy

I can't help but think that this is just more Gus obsessing.  But..... the TN OC job would be a big step up from where he is now.  That said, he is probably sensitive to the "Bobby Petrino" syndrome.  Might not want a third job in three years, even IF the first one wasn't really his fault.  3 in 3 might make it difficult to find another job if the TN job ended in a bad way.

hogknows

On a couple of Tenn. boards...not one word is being discussed about GM.

menehune

Quote from: JimmyHawg79 on December 15, 2007, 09:28:58 pm

Not all of us would have embraced Gus.  Get a grip - just because Gus is a good coach does not make him the answer to all -problems at any school you can mention.  And - don't forget - Gus left us twice - once as a player to Henderson, then to Tulsa as a co-offensive coordinator (the same title he couldn't seem to embrace here).  I am tired of hearing about HDN and Gus.  Let us move on - Please!!!!

humphrey

WBIR, TV channel 10, in Knoxvilel reported last night (12/15) that potential OC replacements are: UT o-line coach Greg Adkins, UT receivers coach Trooper Taylor, NO Saints OC Doug Marrone, Detroit Lions receivers coach Kippy Brown.  Some believe Brown is the top pic at this time.

From what I can gather, Malzahn hasn't been considered, although I think he would do well at UT or anywhere else he goes.

humphrey

Quote from: menehune on December 16, 2007, 01:54:38 am
Not all of us would have embraced Gus.  Get a grip - just because Gus is a good coach does not make him the answer to all -problems at any school you can mention.  And - don't forget - Gus left us twice - once as a player to Henderson, then to Tulsa as a co-offensive coordinator (the same title he couldn't seem to embrace here).  I am tired of hearing about HDN and Gus.  Let us move on - Please!!!!

HOutson Nutt also left twice an there are still people who honor him like a king!

Old Tusk

Phat Phil will not change his offense.  Going to TN would be a horrible for Gus.  Fulmer = Nutt
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

dc10x1103

Quote from: sowmonella on December 15, 2007, 11:50:02 am
That would be Gus's 4th job in 4 years. I really doubt he'll be the OC at Tennessee. :razorback:
you better hope he's not the oc at tenn.  i would not want to play tenn with gus there.

Silver Hog

Quote from: menehune on December 16, 2007, 01:54:38 am

Yet you read Gus threads.  Seems you are your own worst enemy in that regard.

Houston h

I believe the talk that I heard yesterday is coming from UT fans that want Gus there but according to everything I have heard here in Tennessee, Phil is sticking with one of his UT guys.  Stupid move on his part, Phil won't change his philosophy and his strong recruiting base is starting to go away.  Kids want to play in a spread offense, not some boring between the tackles and playaction scheme that he has ran for 15 years.  Gus is headed to OSU or another big 12 school this year or next.

Highway Hog Sign

This would be a good thing in my mind.  Let him get some more SEC experience.  Hopefully by the time we're looking for our next coach, he's progressed and become a legitimate HC contender.  As much as I oppose him coming back to the staff right now, (I think it would be leaving old wounds open that need to heal), I would like to see him eventually become the head Hog.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

Hog inAustin

He would do well there...they would pay big bucks, attract the type of QB's and receivers to make the offense work and, if he does well, the HC job is out there in a couple of years when Phil is kicked, I mean moves upstairs...WPS.

Hog inAustin

Oh yeah, at Christmas party in Austin this weekend several of my burnt orange pals who contribute a dollar or two were really curious about my thoughts on Malzahn...told them that he couldn't coach worth a lick, they would get bored with his high school antics and that he would leave them in a year for a better job when our new HC is apparently already planning to leave us...sarcasim intended...WPS.

hogknows

Has he been offered the Tenn. OC job?

have seen no mention of it anywhere.

Bulldogs@ the ville

Why does everyone think that Gus is a great recruiter?  His only experience is bringing his own players from Springdale which his daughter dated one of them, and I guess that you could say that he recruited players to play at Shiloh.  Nothing against him, but what is his real recruiting experience?

hogknows

now I see where the fans on scout are talking about it. (Gus)

My question is are reporters covering the job search talking about it?