Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn on short list to replace Cutcliff at Tennessee.....

Started by Houston h, December 15, 2007, 10:57:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Houston h

As reported this morning on a Knoxville radio show.  I've been saying this for weeks, someone big is going to snatch this guy up and we are all going to suffer the consequences for it.  Can you imagine Gus running his offense at Tennessee with the wealth of talent they have?  Wow!

hview

It wouldn't surprise me. He is going to be a very successful HC. I just hope we don't have to play against him. The timing wasn't right for his return to Arkansas and I really like Gus.

HogISH™

i would be very supprised since he told his close friends that he would not leave tulsa unless it was a head coaching position.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Big Daddy

I love Gus but we got the better end of that deal by far. Maybe when BP leaves Gus comes back. Let's move on guys.

The Dream Machine

Quote from: Houston h on December 15, 2007, 10:57:22 am
As reported this morning on a Knoxville radio show.  I've been saying this for weeks, someone big is going to snatch this guy up and we are all going to suffer the consequences for it.  Can you imagine Gus running his offense at Tennessee with the wealth of talent they have?  Wow!
Not going to happen. NEXT

NEAHawgfan

If this happens Tennessee will be a top 3 program consistanly. This is a perfect match for Gus. It's a school that recruits itself, and he will have no problem getting the athletes he needs to run the offense he runs on a high level year in and year out.

Houston h

Quote from: HogISH™ on December 15, 2007, 11:02:07 am
i would be very supprised since he told his close friends that he would not leave tulsa unless it was a head coaching position.

HogISH

BUT...........He would leave Conference USA for a OC job in the best conference in America.  3 to 5 years at UT with great success would make him the hottest commidity on the market!

destinflhog

If he wants to be head coach in one of the big 3 or 4 conferences, it would not surprise me if he took an offensive coordinator position at some place like TN.  It's going to be tough to land a quality head coaching position from Tulsa.  TN would probably be a good fit because Fulmer is and has been on the hot seat for quite some time.  OK would be less desirable since Stoops will probably be there for a while.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Houston h

Quote from: BeoPig™ on December 15, 2007, 11:08:55 am
It is a rumor so it must be true...

I just reported what was on the radio in Knoxville, I would think those guys would know more about the situation than the folks in Arkansas.  Whether he gets the job or not or is even interviewed is beyond me.  Gus will be a OC at a BCS school within the next 2 seasons, mark it down!

Ouachihog

Quote from: Big Daddy on December 15, 2007, 11:03:35 am
I love Gus but we got the better end of that deal by far. Maybe when BP leaves Gus comes back. Let's move on guys.

My thoughts exactly. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Old Tusk

First, Fulmer will hire from within the family. Inbreeding is very big in east TN. Second, Phat Phill will run the Offense. If he were to go, he would be going back to 2006.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

razored

God - I would hate to see this.
My emotional state of mind could possible explode any time we have to play UT.

Houston h

Quote from: Old Tusk on December 15, 2007, 11:15:22 am
First, Fulmer will hire from within the family. Inbreeding is very big in east TN. Second, Phat Phill will run the Offense. If he were to go, he would be going back to 2006.

I don't think so.  First of all, hiring within the UT family is why Phil has been in hot water.  I think he has people close to him telling him that he has to change his philosophy in order to keep up with the times, hiring Gus would do just that AND bring a whole new level of excitment to Tennessee football.

sowmonella

That would be Gus's 4th job in 4 years. I really doubt he'll be the OC at Tennessee. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

grayhawg

Old Tusk

Fulmer is not on the hot seat. Cut was the only OC he has ever given any control of the offense. Cut wanted to go to a spread and couldn't get PP to do it. Fulmer will have one of his famous nationwide searches and hire a TN boy that he controls. 
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

The Dream Machine

Quote from: Houston h on December 15, 2007, 11:45:05 am
I don't think so.  First of all, hiring within the UT family is why Phil has been in hot water.  I think he has people close to him telling him that he has to change his philosophy in order to keep up with the times, hiring Gus would do just that AND bring a whole new level of excitment to Tennessee football.

MAN CRUSH ALERT

mook

Get over Gus! I hope one day he comes here also. Quit sucking his johnson!!!!!

hoggeek

Quote from: Houston h on December 15, 2007, 11:45:05 am

Well, that would be deja-vu all over again for him, wouldn't it?

The Dream Machine

It was also reported on here by some of the members of the Gus posse that he's going to Auburn or
Oklahoma or Tenn. He won't be playing Army or S.M.U so he probably won go.
He was never a serious candidate come back to the Hogs.  Please go to therapy & get over the MAN LOVE.   

ncrzrbk

Notice anything happening here in the SEC?  Looks like to me that teams are trying to get OC's that run a more open offense as compared to what we HAD at the U of A.  Might be the Petrino factor taking shape for the rest of the conference.

WADHOG

Quote from: Big Daddy on December 15, 2007, 11:03:35 am
Thank you.

The Dream Machine

Quote from: hoggeek on December 15, 2007, 11:58:27 am
Well, that would be deja-vu all over again for him, wouldn't it?
He wouldn't make a hair on Petrino's arse as a coach in any capacity.

Houston h

Quote from: ncrzrbk on December 15, 2007, 12:03:40 pm
Notice anything happening here in the SEC?  Looks like to me that teams are trying to get OC's that run a more open offense as compared to what we HAD at the U of A.  Might be the Petrino factor taking shape for the rest of the conference.

I agree, that's the wave of the future even in the SEC.  Most of the teams in the PAC 10 this year were spread and it is slowly moving this way.

mj4president

Gus is a big time coach. WE all know that. It is just a matter of time before the rest of the nation catches on. He is just a cool guy to talk to. When I would go to games with Lee he would talk to him and me. He had no reason at all to talk to me. The other coaches just acted like I was a ghost. Gus was different. He will make a great Head Coach. I think the only reason he wasn't hired b/c he hasn't had a ton of experience. He is one of the best minds in college football or anywhere for that matter. He also isn't an [CENSORED] with people.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

The Dream Machine

Quote from: mj4president on December 15, 2007, 12:11:42 pm
Gus is a big time coach. WE all know that. It is just a matter of time before the rest of the nation catches on. He is just a cool guy to talk to. When I would go to games with Lee he would talk to him and me. He had no reason at all to talk to me. The other coaches just acted like I was a ghost. Gus was different. He will make a great Head Coach. I think the only reason he wasn't hired b/c he hasn't had a ton of experience. He is one of the best minds in college football or anywhere for that matter. He also isn't an ******* with people.

Did he make you feel special?

The Dream Machine

Quote from: Houston h on December 15, 2007, 10:57:22 am

SOURCE?
LINK?
RADIO STATION?
PROOF?

davis01

Houston h

Quote from: mj4president on December 15, 2007, 12:11:42 pm
Gus is a big time coach. WE all know that. It is just a matter of time before the rest of the nation catches on. He is just a cool guy to talk to. When I would go to games with Lee he would talk to him and me. He had no reason at all to talk to me. The other coaches just acted like I was a ghost. Gus was different. He will make a great Head Coach. I think the only reason he wasn't hired b/c he hasn't had a ton of experience. He is one of the best minds in college football or anywhere for that matter. He also isn't an ******* with people.

Agreed, we have emailed all season.  The guy is just a stand up guy, you saw that with the way he handled the Nutt situation.  He is a young Petrino, all he needs is a BCS OC job to get that little bit of seasoning that most teams want him to have.

Pickled Pig

Quote from: hview on December 15, 2007, 11:00:42 am
The timing wasn't right for his return to Arkansas and I really like Gus.

Although I'm excited about Petrino, that is hogwash.

GrantWalker

Someone told me the other day that if Gus ever went to Tennessee that we would all pay for it for years to come.  With the athletes they get, can you imagine?

Silver Hog

Quote from: Houston h on December 15, 2007, 12:23:42 pm
Agreed, we have emailed all season.  The guy is just a stand up guy, you saw that with the way he handled the Nutt situation.  He is a young Petrino, all he needs is a BCS OC job to get that little bit of seasoning that most teams want him to have.

He is good about emailing fans. Unlike Nutt and his wife who only email players.

mj4president

He is a young BP without the questions of his loyalty or character. That makes for one hell of coach. He doesn't have the big name power right now though that BP does.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

GWFan

I wonder if this is true, or just radio "sports talk"?

owl

What is his email address? PM me if you prefer.Thx
OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

centarkswine

I just don't see Gus leaving an OC position for another OC position.

CowHog

Well in a few years when Petrino bolts maybe Gus will have cut his teeth enough to come back as our HC

mj4president

Quote from: centarkswine on December 15, 2007, 01:33:22 pm

Tulsa or Tennessee??? I could if Fat Phil will keep his mits off the offense.

Dr. J.

Quote from: Houston h on December 15, 2007, 11:11:45 am
I just reported what was on the radio in Knoxville, I would think those guys would know more about the situation than the folks in Arkansas.  Whether he gets the job or not or is even interviewed is beyond me.  Gus will be a OC at a BCS school within the next 2 seasons, mark it down!

It was reported he was one of the candidates interviewed for the Houston job.  His offense led the nation this past year.  Why wouldn't he be a candidate for Cutcliffe's job.  I hope he gets the job and scores 60 points against Ole Miss!

Dr. J.

Quote from: centarkswine on December 15, 2007, 01:33:22 pm

Success as OC at Tennessee will guarantee him a good head coaching job in a major conference if he stays there at least two or three years and has success.  At Tulsa, he might or might not get that chance.

Hogology 101

If Gus does become the OC at Tennessee... I will have no choice but to hate him.

benbrown

I like Gus.  I LOVE Bobby Petrino.  He is a proven offensive whiz at the major college level.  Gus will probably be there in about 5 years as well.  Bobby is proven.  Go Hogs! WPS!

ur

History could repeat itself. Gus does well at tenn for a couple of years. the hogs come calling if BP bolts. the vols are in the same dilemma they were in with Phil as oc and Johnny Majors as head coach. Do they "can" the head coach to elevate the oc before he leaves for another HC position. Phil gets the shaft like he did to Majors. How ironic.

The_Bionic_Pig

YOU DO NOT WANT GUS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE - and it has nothing to do with Offensive Schemes but rather he would be a serious threat to dip into this state and steal a highly rated recruit or two.   You thought Coach Fulmer was a presence in Eastern Arkansas ....OMGoodness if he hired Gus!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

LAHOGG

owl

Quote from: LAHOGG on December 15, 2007, 01:59:00 pm
We need to start a Gus forum.

Good idea. He deserves a bunch of credit for our becoming HUTELESS
OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

whatsshakinbacon

There are many paths that lead to the top of the Razorback mountain.  Whether Gus chooses to go through the SEC or Big East or C-USA matters not.  What does matter is that he continues to improve and learn the college game.  Hiring Bobby Petrino was a coup for Arkansas, and it does not bother us much that he is nomadic because his replacement is being groomed.  I wish Malzahn all the luck in the world on his ascension. 

These are great times to be a Razorback fan...great times.

Bacon out...